Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's solo Baldur's Gate on Insane (feat. The Codex)

Which BG2 LP style would You prefer?

• The Codex Solo / Core

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • The Codex + 1 helper / Hard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Codex + 2 helpers / Hard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Codex + 2 helpers / Insane

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • 6 new characters / Insane

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters

desocupado

Magister
Good update. I'm kinda ansious for bg2.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Good update. I'm kinda ansious for bg2.

this

Also it seems like this LP may actually be finished. I salute your endurance brother MicoSelva :salute:

Also also a question: since I've never played bg2 with a multiclass char, what happens with the strongholds? Do you get two?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Orgasm said:
MicoSelva said:
on Thursday.
Is that ITS-speak?
No.

Oesophagus said:
since I've never played bg2 with a multiclass char, what happens with the strongholds? Do you get two?
The one time I played a multiclass char in BG2 - incidentally it was a fighter/mage/thief - I got only the fighter's stronghold. Maybe because I've done that quest as first of the three.

Crooked Bee said:
Wonderful. So what are the chances of finishing this before the end of 2010?

Unless I'm very mistaken at what's left to play through, I'd say about 90%

taplonaplo

Scholar
You should get the ring of wizardry and cloak of balduran (+25% MR) ASAP.

Also, halberd of backstabbing won't work, but staff of backstabbing will. You can backstab with weapons that a thief can use.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
MicoSelva said:
Crooked Bee said:

I might have underestimated Christmas' ability in absorbing time. The above mentioned percentage is much lower now.

That said, expect an update today.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
MicoSelva said:
MicoSelva said:
Crooked Bee said:

I might have underestimated Christmas' ability in absorbing time. The above mentioned percentage is much lower now.

That said, expect an update today.

yayifications

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Update #28: House of Doom & Horrors

We start with visiting na inn, because The Codex is in need of a cold shower after the last update.
up28_Baldr000.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Just so I don't kill anyone who you might regret.

up28_Baldr001.jpg

Accessing the northwestern area from here will place us in the part containing Blushing Mermaid tavern.

codex_m.jpg
Better for everyone if this is the last part of this fucking quest.

up28_Baldr002.jpg

Initial stats.

up28_Baldr004.jpg

As with Blade & Stars earlier, the spawn point is suspiciously conveniently placed to the tavern. We cast Mirror Image as a precaution before entering.

codex_m.jpg
That qualifies as paranoid behaviour, I think.

up28_Baldr005.jpg

Paranoid? Hardly. Just good memory. Inside, we meet Larze.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck you, ogre. Who even let you in here?

up28_Baldr006.jpg

We start by an impressive 36 damage critical, but Larze immediately ups the stakes, hitting for 40 with a regular attack.

codex_m.jpg
FUCKSHIT! You're supposed to hit the images!

up28_Baldr008.jpg

First attempt to defeat him is a failure.

Death count: 118

codex_m.jpg
Well, fuck. He's one tough son of a bitch.

You can say that again.

up28_Baldr009.jpg

We try to blind Larze next time, but he resists.

codex_m.jpg
At least he's not "Magic Resistant".

up28_Baldr011.jpg

Yeah. Not that it changes anything.

Death count: 119

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
Do you have any ideas how to defeat him, or are we waiting for some luck to kick in?

Yeah, well, all my ideas assume some amount of luck, to be honest.

up28_Baldr012.jpg

And we get it, as Larze is blinded at third attempt.

codex_m.jpg
Now you die!

up28_Baldr013.jpg

Even blinded, he still manages to get a large percentage of hits in. We're forced to renew Mirror Image much sooner than expected.

up28_Baldr014.jpg

We also try to paralyze Larze with The Codex' wand, but it fails. No, not that wand, which you undoubtedly think about.

codex_m.jpg
Fucking perverts.

up28_Baldr015.jpg

Time for EXTREME CHEESE. We leave and hide in shadows.

up28_Baldr016.jpg

And we're back with a vengeance. Backstab damage still sucks.

codex_m.jpg
Maybe this dagger is out of charges or something?

up28_Baldr017.jpg

Cheesecake inbound. Leaving, casting, hiding.

up28_Baldr019.jpg

This backstab damage is really pathetic.

codex_m.jpg
This is fucking annoying! :x

up28_Baldr020.jpg

Give me some sugar cheese, baby

codex_m.jpg
How the mighty have fallen...

up28_Baldr021.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yay, backstab for 22... Fucking incline...

up28_Baldr022.jpg

Incline indeed. :smug:

Death count: 120

Load game.

codex_m.jpg
Are you half asleep, or something? We need to change the approach to fighting this guy! Start thinking!

Thinking is overrated.

up28_Baldr023.jpg

We paralyze Larze. This time it works.

codex_m.jpg
Now, this is what I call :incline: !

up28_Baldr024.jpg

After that the combat changes into a woodcutter's work. Chop, chop, chop...

codex_m.jpg
Geezfuck, how many hitpoints did this guy have!?

Yeah, a lot. At the rate it was going, we would've been backstabbing him for three days in a row.

up28_Baldr025.jpg

He drops another set of Gauntlets of Weapon Skill and some treasure.

up28_Baldr026.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Trying to intimidate me after I fought the ogre downstairs? Hard time.

up28_Baldr027.jpg

codex_m.jpg
FUUUUUUUUUUCK!

We did some really impressive critical hit damage there, but Marek goes all Palpatine on The Codex. Fortunately, our hero survives.

up28_Baldr028.jpg

Anoter sword-slash is enough to put the assassin down.

codex_m.jpg
How's you creed now, huh!?

up28_Baldr029.jpg

Killing Marek finishes the 'poisoned party' quest. Actually, the end is triggered if he's killed after giving the geas removal scroll to Lothander. If you kill Marek in the brief moment when you meet him for the first time, you're fucked, as the poison quest is initiated and there's no way of finishing it.
Marek drops some nice stuff too.

up28_Baldr030.jpg

This potion of antidote may look like regular one from afar, but it actually contains 10 charges of antidote. It will replace the regular antidotes we're carrying.

codex_m.jpg
By the way, my slow poison ability turned out to be fucking useless.

Yes. The'evil' power equivalent of Slow Poison is the much more useful Horror, so it seems it would've been worth the trouble to lower The Codex' reputation after getting Cure Light Wounds, and get the 'evil' ability instead of the 'good' one. I might yet cheat a bit and adjust that with ShadowKeeper before we start BG2. But in this game, we will go with what we got.

up28_Baldr031.jpg

Eagle Bow is the best short bow in the game, and also the best ranged weapon for thieves not mixed with fighter. Too bad it's found so late in the game, making thieves suck as archers for the majority of time. Even short bows +1 aren't a very common view, while two best long bows are gotten relatively early (composite +1 can be bought in Beregost and Bow of Marksmanship is found in bandit camp). That's why I went with long bows for this playthrough.
This proficiency might also get adjusted with ShadowKeeper, since in BG2 the best bows for solo play are in the 'short' category (they don't require carrying ammunition, for which we won't have backpack space).

up28_Baldr032.jpg

Dagger +2. Will be sold.

up28_Baldr033.jpg

Fighting Larze and Marek was tiring, so we rest before moving on.

up28_Baldr035.jpg

There are some lootable houses here. Well, at least one.

up28_Baldr036.jpg

Cloak of protection. More gold for us.

codex_m.jpg
More gold. You know, you try carrying 55 000 gold coins with you one day. Do you know how heavy they are?

They have no weight, so stop whining.

up28_Baldr038.jpg

I have almost forgotten something very important - back to Blushing Mermaid we go. There's an entrance to Undercellar here.

codex_m.jpg
What's the Undercellar?

up28_Baldr039.jpg

It's an exclusive whorehouse, mostly for nobles.

codex_m.jpg
OMG ITZ HEAVAN!

up28_Baldr040.jpg

But we're not here for pleasure. We've come to find this girl, Quenash, and put our hands on her possessions.

codex_m.jpg
How is that not pleasure?

up28_Baldr041.jpg

You were supposed to steal from her, not grab her ass!

codex_m.jpg
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Loading game.

up28_Baldr042.jpg

Drinking this potion will ensure The Codex doesn't get distracted by Quenash' shapely body again.

up28_Baldr043.jpg

Success!

codex_m.jpg
So... What have I stolen exactly?

up28_Baldr044.jpg

This.

codex_m.jpg
Oh fuck yeah! :bounce:

up28_Baldr045.jpg

Equipping the cloak gives us a total +4 (actually: -4) bonus to saving throws, putting them into some really reasonable values.
Also, AC drops to -3 (-6 against piercing and -11 against missile weapons).

up28_Baldr046.jpg

Brielbara here gives a quest involving Yago, a mage we passed in Low Lantern, remember?

codex_m.jpg
No.

up28_Baldr047.jpg

Accidentally, we stumble upon Narlen Darkwalk - the thieves' guild quest giver. The first job is simple - we're supposed to stay behind and watch for the guards.

codex_m.jpg
I'll take any opportunity to mess with the Flaming Fist. Bring them on!

up28_Baldr048.jpg

codex_m.jpg
'Make fer the dark'? WTF is this shit? I don't speak like that!

Maybe you just got too excited? Check your underwear.

up28_Baldr049.jpg

We ditch the guards using the foolproof approach of going around the corner and hiding in shadows.

up28_Baldr050.jpg

There's some inn here I don't remember from my earlier playthroughs.

codex_m.jpg
That probably means we shouldn't even bother entering it.

up28_Baldr053.jpg

Unopenable chest - interesting.

codex_m.jpg
Yes. Fascinating.

That's weird. I'm experiencing a deja vu.

codex_m.jpg
Yes. Fascinating.

up28_Baldr055.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Ok, seriously, mustard jelly was not in my top 100 things expected to be found here.

up28_Baldr056.jpg

The times these things were a threat are long gone now.

up28_Baldr058.jpg

Area completed!

codex_m.jpg
This "area" takes less than half of available space. What a ripoff!

up28_Baldr059.jpg

There's one more thing to get before we continue the plot thingy. It's located here.

up28_Baldr060.jpg

There are a few points of interest in this area.

up28_Baldr062.jpg

This is the guy giving us the quest to find Nester's dagger.

codex_m.jpg
Oh yeah that. What exactly have we done with it?

No idea.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck it then.

up28_Baldr063.jpg

There's a potion of magic blocking, or similar, upstairs in a chest.

up28_Baldr064.jpg

Also, a long bow +1. Grabbing it requires hiding from Flaming Fist, as the sleeping guy calls guards.

codex_m.jpg
Where's the realism when we need it?

up28_Baldr065.jpg

Next house.

up28_Baldr067.jpg

Healing potion. Nice.

up28_Baldr068.jpg

This is our actual target here - Helm & Cloak inn.

up28_Baldr070.jpg

An adventuring party (Merry Fools), led by Gorpel Hind, is drinking here. Talking to them triggers a script in which another group of adventurers - Maulers of Undermountain - enters the inn. They're rather hostile and fight is bound to ensue. One of the maulers drops the best battle axe in the vanilla game, but, since this is a non-essential encounter and we don't want to unnecessarily extend our visit in the city, we're going to ignore Gorpel Hind and his boys.

codex_m.jpg
Merry Fools, Maulers of Undermountain. I should also name my party in some awesome way.

What party?

codex_m.jpg
Oh yeah, that.

up28_Baldr071.jpg

There's a secret stash behind the painting upstairs. It's also trapped.

codex_m.jpg
I wonder what we will find inside, considering the inn is called Helm & Cloak, and we already have the cloak.

up28_Baldr072.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Oh, look, a helm! Who would've guessed!?

up28_Baldr073.jpg

Entering another house.

codex_m.jpg
This one certainly has a higher profile than the previous ones.

up28_Baldr074.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Holy shit! Battle horror!

Doom Guard.

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, that!

There's also a Helmed Horror there by the table.

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, whatever the fuck that is.

Remember the house I warned You about at the end of previous update?

codex_m.jpg
This is the one?

This is the one.

up28_Baldr075.jpg

Mirror Image is a must here. Not sure if it will suffice. Probably not.

up28_Baldr076.jpg

It seems that besides the two enemies visible from the start, there were also three Invisible Stalkers here (Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat). The Codex suddenly became vastly outnumbered. And I don't mean DA2-combat-walkthrough-like 'vastly outnumbered'.

up28_Baldr077.jpg

They hack away The Codex' HP at a disturbing rate, so we try to even the odds a bit by casting Hold Person.

codex_m.jpg
Don't move! Please?

up28_Baldr078.jpg

It doesn't work. Next up is Web. Spider's Bane should give us an advantage here, as The Codex cannot be paralyzed by the spell.

up28_Baldr079.jpg

Two of four enemies in range are held, but the remaining two still outmatch our hero. The situation looks dire.

codex_m.jpg
Apparently, I entered the wrong door. Can I please leave now?

up28_Baldr080.jpg

We try to save ourselves with another Mirror Image.

up28_Baldr081.jpg

But that only postpones the inevitable.

Death count: 121

Loading game.

codex_m.jpg
I'm thinking this encounter might prove problematic.

My keen precognition senses say You are right.

up28_Baldr082.jpg

We shall enter pre-mirrorimaged from now on.

codex_m.jpg
"From now on"? How many more times will we be entering that house?

Some questions must remain unanswered until suitable time comes.

up28_Baldr083.jpg

For some reason I decide this defense spot to be better than the previous one. We get hacked at even before The Codex is able to cast Web.

up28_Baldr085.jpg

Mirror Image must be refreshed rather quickly.

codex_m.jpg
This doesn't look good.

up28_Baldr086.jpg

The defense spot was indeed not better than the last one.

Death count: 122

codex_m.jpg
Do you know how much does getting stabbed with a sword hurt?

Well, no.

codex_m.jpg
Why don't you get closer, so I can show you? That would quickly teach you how to excerise the most cautious tactics available.

up28_Baldr091.jpg

This time we enter pre-hidden too, so The Codex doesn't get gangraped from the beginning.

up28_Baldr092.jpg

We find a lone Helmed Horror in one of the backrooms.

codex_m.jpg
Hi there...

up28_Baldr093.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Let me narrate for a moment: we rape it with a really big sword, and very brutally!

The horror also gets a couple of hits in. These guys are dangerous even one on one.

up28_Baldr095.jpg

After some healing, we take on a lone Doom Guard. First attack must be done from afar, as there's another enemy (the Doom Guard we've been fighting before) standing near it.

up28_Baldr096.jpg

codex_m.jpg
HURTS!? I HOPE IT DOES!

Surprise attack + Mirror Image = victory. But again, not without The Codex getting hit.

up28_Baldr097.jpg

The second Doom Guard can be attacked with a backstab first, which is good news, but we're out of Mirror Image and low on HP, which is bad news.

up28_Baldr098.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Fuuuck! Retreat!

up28_Baldr099.jpg

Essentially, we're fucked. Unless this spell works, The Codex doesn't stand a chance of surviving this fight.

codex_m.jpg
Death, here I come.

up28_Baldr100.jpg

It doesn't. I forgot to take the death screenshot here, but I think such proof is unnecessary, considering the situation visible in the one above.

Death count: 123

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
I would like to postpone fighting the other Doom Guard until after I heal myself and/or am able to cast Mirror Image again.

Alright, alright.

up28_Baldr103.jpg

We meet the owner of the house.

codex_m.jpg
You know what, your household staff sucks!

If we struck a deal with him, he would've given us a quest that would result in getting helm and cloak of Balduran in a very convoluted way. In all my playthroughs, I've never gone all the way with it.

up28_Baldr104.jpg

Degrodel and The Codex don't get along very well.

codex_m.jpg
Why don't we step outside and resolve it like men?

up28_Baldr105.jpg

But Degrodel does not know meaning of the phrase "fair fight" and calls his dad, mom and retarded siblings for help (one Invisible Stalker is, well, invisible).

up28_Baldr106.jpg

codex_m.jpg
OW! Get away from me you fucktards!

up28_Baldr107.jpg

Not good.

Death count: 124

Load game.

codex_m.jpg
This Degrodel guy is fucking annoying.

up28_Baldr108.jpg

Back to backstabbing (shitty accidental pun) the Doom Guard. Damage still sucks ass. Theoretically it should be in the 21-30 range (1d4+2 +4 = 7 to 10, x3). Unless strength bonus doesn't get trippled here, then it would be 13 to 22 (9 to 18, +4). Results seem to indicate the latter, but I'm sure we've dealt more backstab damage already.

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, we did. On a critical hit, you moron.

Oooooooh...

up28_Baldr109.jpg

I'm not sure why I thought we could win this time, but not much has changed since the previous try. Casting Hold Person here is a desperate last resort.

up28_Baldr110.jpg

Unsurprisingly, it doesn't work.

codex_m.jpg
Farewell, everyone.

up28_Baldr111.jpg

I'm beginning to think that we should come here better prepared.

Death count: 125

codex_m.jpg
Any other suggestions as brilliant as "backstab the doomguard"?

Yeah, a few.

up28_Baldr114.jpg

Death count: 126

up28_Baldr117.jpg

Death count: 127

up28_Baldr123.jpg

Death count: 128

up28_Baldr130.jpg

Death count: 129

up28_Baldr131.jpg

Ok, that's enough for now.

codex_m.jpg
YOU THINK!?

We will be back.

up28_Baldr132.jpg

For now, we settle for some house-looting.

up28_Baldr133.jpg

More stuff to sell.

up28_Baldr135.jpg

Another house.

up28_Baldr136.jpg

The quest to steal Algernon's cloak is given by Pheirkas here.

codex_m.jpg
I don't get it. We were actually expected to give away some of the best magical items in the game as parts of various fetch quests? Who thought this would be a good idea?

up28_Baldr138.jpg

Scrolls found easily like this are most likely cursed, but maybe we'll be lucky.

I'm omitting Etnar Silvershield's estate, as there was nothing interesting in there, save for Skie, who we didn't even talk to.

up28_Baldr139.jpg

Yet another high profile house.

codex_m.jpg
That doesn't bode well.

up28_Baldr140.jpg

No Doom Guards this time. Just a magic potion.

up28_Baldr142.jpg

Back to the House of Doom (Guards) and (Helmed) Horrors. Another try for the lone one. This time we're smart and paralyze it with a wand.

up28_Baldr143.jpg

It's quite the lesser threat when paralyzed. Even our hero is able to defeat it this time.

codex_m.jpg
Fucking r00fles.

up28_Baldr144.jpg

Making a move at the Helmed Horror.

codex_m.jpg
Not that kind of move. Just saying.

We manage to paralyze it, but attacking from this point makes us a target for Invisible Stalkers.

codex_m.jpg
I don't see any invisi... Ah. Right.

up28_Baldr145.jpg

The Codex retreats into a corner, in search of a better defense spot. Shadow of Chernobyl follows and strikes hard.

up28_Baldr146.jpg

Will Web be enough to stop it and its invisible friends?

up28_Baldr147.jpg

Nope.

Death count: 130

Load game.

codex_m.jpg
Weren't we supposed to get back here after resting, or something?

Yeah, but I got this idea and...

codex_m.jpg
I'm having an idea right now. It involves my sword and your anus. Want to know the details?

up28_Baldr151.jpg

Shadows will assist us in our next attempt to resolve this situation.

up28_Baldr152.jpg

Starting with Fireball.

codex_m.jpg
Careful where you aim that!

up28_Baldr153.jpg

Stalkers and Helmed Horror are drawn to our hero like moths to a lamplight.

up28_Baldr154.jpg

Three Invisible Stalkers and one Helmed Horror. Will Web be enough to stop them?

codex_m.jpg
I'm experiencing a deja vu.

up28_Baldr155.jpg

It works rather well. We manage to kill Shadow of Chernobyl and the Helmed Horror. Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat are paralyzed by the Web.

codex_m.jpg
Yes!

up28_Baldr156.jpg

Clear Sky kicks the bucket!

codex_m.jpg
YES!

up28_Baldr157.jpg

And Call of Pripyat also croaks!

codex_m.jpg
:yeah:

up28_Baldr161.jpg

Back to Helm & Cloak to rest before we take on the mage.

codex_m.jpg
I still can't believe we managed to kill all those fuckers without resting.

up28_Baldr162.jpg

Resting means renewed ability to identify items.

codex_m.jpg
This helm kicks ass!

Not by itself, but it shall help us perform this noble activity.

up28_Baldr163.jpg

No AC change, as Helm of Glory also gave us a +1 bonus. Saving throws are improved, however - and pretty awesome. Even the worst one (Breath Weapon) gives us 65% chance of resisting the attack.

codex_m.jpg
I am awesome. Yes.

up28_Baldr164.jpg

Preparing for the "conversation" with Degrodel.

up28_Baldr165.jpg

codex_m.jpg
"Us" and "We". Am I getting megalomaniacal here?

"Getting"?

up28_Baldr183.jpg

The Codex hides in the corner and bombards the room with Web and Fireball.

codex_m.jpg
This should make them thinking. I think.

up28_Baldr184.jpg

We manage to slay the Helmed Horror. Four to go.

codex_m.jpg
Looks promising so far!

up28_Baldr185.jpg

False promises, they were.

Death count: 131

codex_m.jpg
Well, that did not turn out so good.

up28_Baldr186.jpg

Degrodel and his Melf's Acid Arrow are a major pain in the ass here, so we try to eliminate him with Hold Person.

up28_Baldr187.jpg

It doesn't work, but we get lucky and he gets tangled in the Web.

up28_Baldr189.jpg

A nicely placed Fireball. Im getting quite good at aiming these. Magic Resistance helps in the moments when I make mistakes.

codex_m.jpg
Don't get so full of tourself just because you managed not to kill me too.

up28_Baldr190.jpg

Doom Guard falls!

codex_m.jpg
YES!

up28_Baldr191.jpg

Degrodel is still an issue here, so we try to Magic Missile him to the other side.

codex_m.jpg
Let's not fuck this up this time!

up28_Baldr192.jpg

We fucked this up. Well, actually no. The webbed enemies just made their saves and killed our hero.

Death count: 132

Loading the game.

codex_m.jpg
Alright, I have an idea.

I'm all ears.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck the mage. I mean, seriously. Screw him. Does he even drop anything useful?

No idea. Don't remember.

codex_m.jpg
Exactly. And you would have remembered if he did. We also have both the helm and cloak of Balduran. We have no sound reason to fight the fucker, so let's not.

What about the audience and their expectations?

codex_m.jpg
I think they expect some progress to be made in this update. Or am I wrong?

Uh... Yes, the plot thingy. I completely forgot about that. Yes. I think, we may move on.

(Note: Actually, I've tried to defeat Degrodel - unsuccessfully - about ten more times, but none of these attempts produced a viable set of screenshots, mostly due to my growing level of frustration and fast clicking on 'load game' when something went wrong. One time, we managed to kill all Degrodel, both Doom Guards and Helmed Horror, but got one-shot by the Invisible Stalker after that. That was... not cool.)

up28_Baldr236.jpg

Area completed!

up28_Baldr237.jpg

The final area of the city awaits!

up28_Baldr238.jpg

To be honest, I'm getting a bit paranoid when it comes to entering houses in this city.

up28_Baldr240.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Not another fucking mage! They're like a plague here! Worse than paladins! Almost.

up28_Baldr241.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Help! Don't want to die! Don't want to die!

I was bragging about The Codex' saving throws earlier. Yeah...

up28_Baldr242.jpg

Our hero runs out of Sunin's sight range when panicked. Mage doesn't follow. The wounds visible in the screenshot are from Melf's Acid Arrow. Horror eventually wears off.

codex_m.jpg
Payback time!

up28_Baldr243.jpg

Now that I know this is the maximum non-critical backstab damage, there's nothing left to complain about. Except maybe: NO POISON! :decline:

codex_m.jpg
Doesn't matter.

up28_Baldr244.jpg

codex_m.jpg
The fucker dies.

Two arrows of frost (Arrows of ice? Ice arrows? Frost arrows? Whatever.) are enough.

up28_Baldr245.jpg

The loot.

up28_Baldr254.jpg

Sunin drops another Ring of Wizardry. Probably, we won't be using it, as AC and saving throws bonus given by the +2 Ring of Protection are too precious for us.

up28_Baldr255.jpg

Altough the quadrupled amunt of 1st level spells would be pretty sweet too.

up28_Baldr248.jpg

Another house....

up28_Baldr249.jpg

...that turns out to be an inn. Some paladin (named Phalandyn, next we'll meet a mage named Mhang) lets The Codex go "unmolested".

codex_m.jpg
That's... rather creepy. Yet another reason to get rid of the paladin blight.

up28_Baldr250.jpg

This is an inn too. Not sure how are we supposed to know that, though.

up28_Baldr251.jpg

The inn is infested by green slimes!

codex_m.jpg
What.

up28_Baldr252.jpg

They're no match for The Codex' might!

codex_m.jpg
Green slimes. That's almost worse than paladins. Whatever happens, I'm not eating or sleeping here.

up28_Baldr262.jpg

Yet another house. Paranoia kicking in again...

up28_Baldr263.jpg

And it might yet be justified...

codex_m.jpg
It's just one woman. What's the worst that could happen?

Borda.

codex_m.jpg
Oh.

(On a side note: it's one of the rare instances I like the dialogue options available, especially the highlighted one.)

up28_Baldr264.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I'm not giving you my money. I've been gathering it for almost a year!

up28_Baldr265.jpg

She wasn't kidding about the invisible friends.

codex_m.jpg
More bodies to loot!

up28_Baldr266.jpg

Mirror Image is a must here, especially that Wiven cast hers immediately.

up28_Baldr267.jpg

Web should make them a little less capable of fighting back.

up28_Baldr268.jpg

The fight is not going very well. The Codex got hurt pretty badly and is force to renew Mirror Image already. All the enemies are still alive.

codex_m.jpg
You're not getting me that easily!

up28_Baldr269.jpg

Wiven dies. We're taking a bit of a risk here, since grabbing the bow deprives us of Freedom of Movement and The Codex might get tangled up in our own Web.

up28_Baldr270.jpg

We test Meakin for swordproofness. He fails. Another thief, earlier hidden in the fog of war, comes into sight range.

codex_m.jpg
Die, thieving scum!

up28_Baldr271.jpg

I probably should have healed The Codex a bit during the fight. Oh well.

Death count: 133

codex_m.jpg
Have you noticed how I'm dying a lot recently?

Well, your faster experience gain edge has worn off by now. Encounters here are set for six characters at your experience level.

up28_Baldr272.jpg

We enter pre-imaged this time.

up28_Baldr274.jpg

Web worked quite well before, so there's no reason not to cast it.

up28_Baldr276.jpg

Killing off Wiven's mirror images with Magic Missile.

up28_Baldr277.jpg

She dies a few moments later.

up28_Baldr278.jpg

Meakin soon follows.

up28_Baldr279.jpg

As does Sath.

up28_Baldr280.jpg

I make a mistake and switch weapon to a bow. The Codex gets held by the Web and the last guy, Dirk, almost kills him. As soon as our hero is able to move again, we cast Mirror Image to ensure survival.

up28_Baldr281.jpg

Two hits are enough to slay Dirk.

up28_Baldr282.jpg

up28_Baldr283.jpg

up28_Baldr285.jpg

Looting. Most of them drop magic arrows of various types.

up28_Baldr284.jpg

Except Wiven, that is.

up28_Baldr286.jpg

Yet another house to loot.

codex_m.jpg
Geez! How many of these are left? It got old like fifty houses ago!

And we're only showing one in three, maybe four. Fortunately, this is the last one.

codex_m.jpg
Really?

Yup. Only plot locations are left. No more roaming around the city and getting our asses kicked in random places.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck, yes!

Now we will only get our assess kicked in pre-defined places.

codex_m.jpg
I can live with that.

up28_Baldr287.jpg

As for the loot inside - free healing potions for the win.

up28_Baldr288.jpg

Entering Flaming Fist HQ.

up28_Baldr289.jpg

Nothing interesting on the ground floor.

up28_Baldr290.jpg

Duke Eltan has some nice items in his chests here. Nothing gamebreaking, but hey, free stuff is free stuff.

up28_Baldr291.jpg

A splint mail +1. These are a rare view.

up28_Baldr297.jpg

Finally - duke Eltan himself. But before we talk to him...
------------------------------------

Next time: Back to the keep that keeps the candles.

Last edited:

Johannes

Arcane
Why do you bother carrying normal arrows btw? With all that gathered money you could easily stick to the decent/good stuff only, and use some buff potions and such too to cut the death rate a bit.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Ring of wizardry 8 free magic missiles/rest and after you cast them all you can reequip the ring of prot+2 too.

BTW I probably would have tried potion of absortion + wand of lightning in the house of Doom and Horror myself.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
He is a typical player ie never uses potions or buys good items, instead hoards thousands and thousands of gold needlessly and reloads a lot. Well I ended ToB with more than 500k of gold so perhaps I am not one to say...

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Malakal said:
He is a typical player ie never uses potions or buys good items, instead hoards thousands and thousands of gold needlessly and reloads a lot.
Yeah, this. I learned to play this way, and however I try to fight the bad habits, they end up winning. I'm also very impatient and just have to try another tactic I just conjured up right away (and five times in a row), instead of thinking oustide the box and going back for optimal equipment.
Actually, I'm using many times more potions and wands than I've used when playing all non-LP games before. I'll try to improve even more for BG2.

taplonaplo said:
I probably would have tried potion of absortion + wand of lightning in the house of Doom and Horror myself.
Good idea, which has never come to my mind (although I have used wands [fire, paralyzation] in the off-screen tries). There were other foolproof ways of winning this too. The Codex' damage output was not the problem, I only needed to ensure surviving. Wand of summon monster would've helped the most, giving more targets for the enemies' to attack. I gave up partly to get opportunity to insert the 'you know what, fuck this shit' joke.

Johannes said:
Why do you bother carrying normal arrows btw?
I'm switching to magical arrows whenever the damage done by normal ones isn't enough. I guess I could've given them up at all - another idea that has never occured to me.

Thanks for the hints.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
What the fuck? You are giving up on the interesting fights (tavern party and house of doom) and instead show how to loot empty houses?
I want to see them dead! Less cheese or more cheese, doesnt matter. Dead I say!

ironyuri

Orgasm said:
What the fuck? You are giving up on the interesting fights (tavern party and house of doom) and instead show how to loot empty houses?
I want to see them dead! Less cheese or more cheese, doesnt matter. Dead I say!

Yes. I demand that you slaughter the Underdwellers of Merry Slaughtermount!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Ok, I'll go back to house of doom and helm & cloak before the endgame (in update #31), unleashing all spare consumables on Maulers and Degrodel.
Candlekeep is finished by the way - I decided to split it into two updates.

If there are any other places You would like The Codex to visit before the endgame, this is the time to speak. After update #29 is posted, we'll have passed the point of no return.

taplonaplo

Scholar
i would say to loot the duchal palace without the invitation, but i guess we are too late for that :(. Gotta love the backdoor entrance.

desocupado

Magister
Your LP is awesome, please continue with the good work.

Do you plan on tacking Throne of Baal?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
taplonaplo said:
i would say to loot the duchal palace without the invitation, but i guess we are too late for that :(. Gotta love the backdoor entrance.
Wouldn't that screw up the ability to finish the game in Chapter #7?

desocupado said:
Do you plan on tacking Throne of Baal?
I'm planning to finish both BG2 and ToB (with Ascension) or die trying. Or rather and die trying. Many times.
But, probably, I won't be starting the second game right away. I need some kind of a break from BG (currently overdosed), at least long enough to finish Alpha Protocol or maybe Amnesia.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Remember to play BG2 with 'solo with a party' mod for greater enjoyment and lulzy encounters. Also use lulzy companion mods (hope they work with 'solo with a party').

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Never heard of that mod. What does it do?
(Sorcerer's Place is blocked from where I'm posting right now).

edit: Ok, nevermind, read about it already. It's quite interesting, but I don't think I will be installing it. Thanks for the recommendation anyway.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Last time on on Star Trek Baldur's Gate IS.

up28_Baldr185.jpg

No, not this!

up28_Baldr297.jpg

Yes, this.

Update #29: Home, Sweet Home

Finally - duke Eltan himself. But before we talk to him, we've got some equipment management to perform.

up29_Baldr000.jpg

First things first - area completed!

up29_Baldr001.jpg

We empty our stash in FAI, selling some stuff and moving the rest to the stash in thieves' guild. Yes, I know I haven't used and probably won't use most of these items. I just can't help it.

My name is Mico Selva, and I am a shameless hoarder.

codex_m.jpg
Thank you for sharing with us, now GTFO!

up29_Baldr002.jpg

Resting.

up29_Baldr003.jpg

We also sell stuff outsidereality.eu left on top of Iron Throne tower.

up29_Baldr004.jpg

And back to Duke Eltan. At first he's all mysterious and ambiguous. So we're not sure if he can be trusted.

codex_m.jpg
Like hell, we're not.

up29_Baldr005.jpg

Eventually, he gives us the quest to infiltrate the Iron Throne.

codex_m.jpg
Heads up, gramps. Your errand boy met me leaving their tower. Conclusions? No?

up29_Baldr006.jpg

We talk to him again immediately.

codex_m.jpg
Done your job already. Surprised, huh? Where's my 2000 gold, plus bonus for speedy service?

up29_Baldr007.jpg

He gives us the book needed to enter Candlekeep.
Side note: stealing the book from him doesn't grant access there.

codex_m.jpg
Stupid railroad plot.

up29_Baldr008.jpg

We've entered Chapter Six.

codex_m.jpg
Cool. This means new Awesome Divine Powahs for me!

up29_Baldr009.jpg

We get insta-teleported to Candlekeep.

codex_m.jpg
Whoa! Trippy.

Ready to get back to the place of origin?

codex_m.jpg
I'm not sure. Remember what happened outsidereality.eu? What if I die of excitement?

Good. I have twenty more characters willing to replace you. Including some hot babes.

codex_m.jpg
Right. Hey, good thing we've explored the place wholly last time. That will save us a lot of time now. Right?

up29_Baldr010.jpg

Well, no.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck!

up29_Baldr011.jpg

This is the book we got from Eltan. Not that it matters.

codex_m.jpg
And since it doesn't - screw it and let's move on!

up29_Baldr012.jpg

Once entered, Candlekeep cannot be left to resupply, so we'll have to make it with what we currently have on us (and find inside the keep). I got rid of the (useless, really) wands of ice and instead brought a wand of lightning.

codex_m.jpg
Are these boots of speed? Since when are we using them?

Since we've got a lot of pointless running to do.

codex_m.jpg
We should be using them since forever then.

up29_Baldr013.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Sure thing, pal. I won't be breaking any laws inside. No killing of random merchants, or stuff like that. Promise.

up29_Baldr014.jpg

We loot the hospital on the way.

codex_m.jpg
That's just fucking evil.

up29_Baldr015.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Hey, free potions!

What about "evil"?

codex_m.jpg
They can always buy more. With a discount, no doubt.

up29_Baldr016.jpg

Candlekeep inn. Sure brings back memories.

codex_m.jpg
I hope you're not referring to memories about the event that never happened.

Do You mean, when Firebeard Elvenhair...

codex_m.jpg
NEVER. HAPPENED.

up29_Baldr017.jpg

We find some useless spells. Can't even sell them here.

up29_Baldr018.jpg

A potion of clarity.

codex_m.jpg
That kind of brings back memories. First successful hide check!

And we only had to kick-start it, like, seven times.

up29_Baldr019.jpg

The best thing we find here is a diamond, which we can sell for reasonable money.

codex_m.jpg
Which we don't need.

True.

codex_m.jpg
I wonder what was in this chest at the start of the game.

We might never find out.

up29_Baldr020.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Hey, I remember this place! I kicked my first ass in there.

up29_Baldr021.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Priest doing creepy stuff to a cat? What, have you run out of little boys?

up29_Baldr022.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Geez, I know it's a touchy subject, but this is one serious overreaction.

up29_Baldr023.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Oh, it's a doped gangbanger. Of course. I knew that.

up29_Baldr024.jpg

Got scratched by the doppleganger = resting.

codex_m.jpg
I'm not sure. There are pod people doped gangbangers here. What if I get replaced while sleeping?

Good, maybe the duplicate will be more bearable.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck you!

up29_Baldr025.jpg

Area completed!

up29_Baldr026.jpg

Entering.

up29_Baldr028.jpg

There are many spell scrolls here to loot, but I think we already have all, or at least most of them. I will show only the ones we take with us. This is not one of them.

codex_m.jpg
But you're showing it.

There are also fluff scrolls with the backstory of Bhaal, the god of murder.

codex_m.jpg
Subtle.

up29_Baldr030.jpg

Most people here are readers. There's really a lot of them.

codex_m.jpg
More than this LP has for sure.

up29_Baldr032.jpg

Web is coming with us (at least I think I took it).

up29_Baldr033.jpg

We meet this guy, who is totally not Sarevok.

codex_m.jpg
Huh? Sarevok? Where?

Here. You're talking to him.

codex_m.jpg
He's named Koveras. He he, like "cover us". Funny shit.

That's Sarevok spelled backwards, ffs!

codex_m.jpg
Must be a coincidence. Besides, I'm sure he wouldn't be using an alias that obvious. He has like 17 intelligence, right?

Yes. Wait. How do you know that? Anyway, Koveras tries to give The Codex a Ring of Protection +1.

codex_m.jpg
I stopped using junk like this ages ago. Besides, I'm a little short on storage space right now, so: no.

up29_Baldr034.jpg

Coverus crumbles under The Codex' cunning inquiries.

codex_m.jpg
He does?

up29_Baldr035.jpg

He leaves right after that. We send an arrow after him, but without any effect.

codex_m.jpg
Dear audience, don't take this situation as an example of correct behaviour. Shooting people who give you free stuff is generally a bad idea. Unless the free stuff is supposed to be candy, but in reality...

Commercial break!

up29_Baldr036.jpg

Not sure if we took this...

codex_m.jpg
You do remember shit from ages ago, but not what happened a few days before? You know that this is a symptom of dementia?

up29_Baldr037.jpg

Also not sure if we took this.

codex_m.jpg
Will you stop that! :x

up29_Baldr038.jpg

Hm. I don't know...

codex_m.jpg
:rage:

up29_Baldr041.jpg

We reach the room with Iron Throne management.

codex_m.jpg
Now they die!

You do know we don't have to kill them?

codex_m.jpg
Yeah. But we can, right?

Well, yes.

codex_m.jpg
Now they die!

up29_Baldr042.jpg

Not taking any unnese... unnecesa... Fuck, how do you spell this? Where's the google.

codex_m.jpg
Dementia. Definitely.

Not taking any unnecessary risk - Mirror Image goes up from the start.

up29_Baldr043.jpg

codex_m.jpg
DIE BITCHES! HAHAHAHAHA!

Dialogue: the abridged version.

up29_Baldr043.jpg

Rieltar has a point here.

codex_m.jpg
Dead men are wrong by default!

Notice the movement spot inside the room. It was probably a mistake to click The Codex to move that close.

up29_Baldr045.jpg

Definitely a mistake. Before I'm able to pause the game, our hero moves very near to enemies.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck you, reflexes-impared dumbfuck!

up29_Baldr046.jpg

Another mistake - The Codex wields the bow, getting a penalty to his AC and immediately gets hit for half of his HP. I try to salvage the situation with Web.

codex_m.jpg
Someday, I will salvage bone marrow from your corpse!

up29_Baldr047.jpg

The situation looks bad.

codex_m.jpg
Looks bad but actually is fucking horrible!

Side note: Rieltar is not in the screenshot because he turned invisible.

up29_Baldr048.jpg

Web works quite well.

codex_m.jpg
Come on, Spider's Bane, we'll show them who rules these lands!

up29_Baldr049.jpg

I think that was Rieltar with some deadly spell, but we may never know for sure.

Death count: 134

codex_m.jpg
Lucky wimps. I will mop the floor with them!

up29_Baldr050.jpg

Another try. This time The Codex doesn't run into the crowded room like a suicide bomber, but instead assumes a tactical spot near the door. Not sure if I forgot Mirror Image, or if the images are already used up at this point.

codex_m.jpg
I'm pretty sure which of these events occured. Call it a hunch.

up29_Baldr051.jpg

Anyway, we've got that covered.

up29_Baldr052.jpg

codex_m.jpg
IT BURNS US!

Either Rieltar is one lucky guy or Agannazar's Scorcher ignores Mirror Image, as The Codex gets quite heated up. Brunos also gets his share.

up29_Baldr053.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Like fire? Two can play that game!

up29_Baldr054.jpg

Tuth is toast. Three to go.

up29_Baldr055.jpg

Brunos has a bad moment here, receiving a critical hit from The Codex and another Agannazar's Scorcher from Rieltar, who is a real dick and doesn't care if he accidentally hits his buddies. Also: Mirror Image works on the scorcher after all.

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, about that. I'm all for refreshing mirror image. Like, now.

Sorry, we're out.

up29_Baldr056.jpg

Rieltar saves us a lot of trouble, managing to kill both Kestor and Brunos. The Codex doesn't die because of his magic resistance!

codex_m.jpg
Whew!

up29_Baldr057.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Boom! Spleenshot! And don't fucking get up!

Victory!

codex_m.jpg
That was way too close.

up29_Baldr058.jpg

Since this combat is optional, none of these guys drops anything unique. Just generic +1 stuff.

up29_Baldr059.jpg

And some potions. I won't show the rest of the spoils, as it would be pointless.

up29_Baldr061.jpg

We find a scroll of Identify in the room outsidereality.eu occupied by Iron Throne.

up29_Baldr062.jpg

One of the readers got hit by some spell - probably Rieltar's Lightning Bolt.

codex_m.jpg
Sucks to be him. Let's move on.

up29_Baldr063.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I am fucking innocent! Honest! All the fifty witnesses are lying their asses off!

For some reason they don't believe The Codex and lock him up.

up29_Baldr064.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Rieltar and Brunos? What about the other two? Uh...

Tuth and Kestor.

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, these guys! You don't give a fuck about them? Besides, they all mostly burned themselves up by careless spellcasting.

up29_Baldr065.jpg

codex_m.jpg
How can I be an agent of Amn if I don't even know how to pronounce it?

up29_Baldr066.jpg

Of course, the railroad plot follows, and we get busted out by Gorion's old friend, Tehtoril (who has a really badass voice in Polish version of the game, but here sounds like and old geezer - I am disappoint).

codex_m.jpg
He thinks I didn't kill those guys. How cute.

up29_Baldr067.jpg

codex_m.jpg
"Ulraunt's wrath?" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

up29_Baldr068.jpg

And we're teleported to the secret library.

codex_m.jpg
I bet this is where the monks keep all their porn. I should carefully search every corner of the room.

up29_Baldr069.jpg

We find no porn...

codex_m.jpg
Officially.

...but there are a lot of spell scrolls here. We take most of them.

codex_m.jpg
That's the second Knock scroll we find in short time. I guess the developers really didn't want me to miss the stuff we'll soon find.

up29_Baldr070.jpg

Combat spells - never too much of these.

up29_Baldr071.jpg

We take these too.

up29_Baldr072.jpg

Rested and ready to go!

codex_m.jpg
Fuck yeah, bring it on!

up29_Baldr073.jpg

Trap detection is a must here. Hiding is optional, but won't hurt.

up29_Baldr074.jpg

We meet Phlydia.

codex_m.jpg
Who?

The woman, for whom... Oh, right, we skipped all this.

up29_Baldr075.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I can assure you I did no such thing. Yaoi is outside my scope of interest.

up29_Baldr076.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Oh, she's another gangbanger. I knew that, of course.

This doppleganger sounds like a male...

codex_m.jpg
Oh fuck.

up29_Baldr077.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Don't touch me, fucking tranny! DIE!

These guys have some ridiculous THAC0 - every fight with them ends with a lot hits received, especially since I have issues with casting Mirror Image against single enemies. Fortunately, their HP is far from impressive.

up29_Baldr078.jpg

I'm always curious what kind of trap we detect. Is it a spell? A poison arrow? A summon? There's only one way to find out...

codex_m.jpg
DON'T! Even. Think about it.

up29_Baldr079.jpg

A fuckload of traps here. And they're quite difficult to disarm too.

codex_m.jpg
Good thing I am awesome enough that they're not a problem.

up29_Baldr080.jpg

The sarcophagus is trapped too.

up29_Baldr081.jpg

But the contents are well worth the effort.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck yes!

up29_Baldr082.jpg

We get another manual of Bodily Health.

codex_m.jpg
Uh... Looks more like Tome of Understanding to me.

Fuck. Wrong screenshot.

up29_Baldr084.jpg

Here. Fixed.

codex_m.jpg
I'm sensing some kind of scam.

Ok. Honestly: which one do you prefer?

codex_m.jpg
Manual of Bodily Health it is.

up29_Baldr083.jpg

We also found this not-bad ring for which we don't have a free item slot.

codex_m.jpg
How is it exactly I only have two fingers in total? Shouldn't I be able to wear at least six rings, like in later Might & Magic games?

There's a "justification" in the game manual, but it's so lame I won't even quote it.

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, let's not increase the level of lameness here. It's already off the scale.

up29_Baldr085.jpg

We read the manual immediately.

up29_Baldr086.jpg

The Codex' stats are now like as should be at this point - if I haven't fucked up character creation (except he should be a half-elf and now have 19DEX/19CON, but whatever).
HP = 68 includes the +5 bonus from Helm of Balduran.

up29_Baldr087.jpg

Moar traps.

codex_m.jpg
Almost like t-rapes, lol.

up29_Baldr088.jpg

codex_m.jpg
What the fuck? A dead end?

Looks like it.

codex_m.jpg
Why was it trapped then?

I don't know. So you get pissed off?

codex_m.jpg
It fucking worked!

up29_Baldr089.jpg

Next sarcophagus chamber is also trapped, of course.

up29_Baldr090.jpg

As is the sarcophagus itself.

codex_m.jpg
More like "sarcophagot", amirite?

up29_Baldr091.jpg

Some high-end potions, which we don't take (if I remember correctly), due to lack of backpack space (not even mentioning the sellable-only loot, like the necklace). We do, however, take the scroll of Protection from Magic (or whatever it's called).

up29_Baldr092.jpg

Trappy traps.

up29_Baldr093.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Geez, this is getting old.

up29_Baldr094.jpg

Nothing here.

codex_m.jpg
WHAT!? All the trap disarming for nothing!? Fucking waste of time.

up29_Baldr095.jpg

Another corridoor - of course, also trapped.

codex_m.jpg
My spider sense is tingling...

up29_Baldr096.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I knew it. Can we get back to traps? I think I preferred them after all.

up29_Baldr097.jpg

Due to improved saving throws, The Codex is not as likely to get poisoned as he was before, so I risk killing the spider without any buffs like Mirror Image - only the scroll of Melf's Acid Arrow. We win.

up29_Baldr098.jpg

Spiders rarely occur alone, and the one we killed was no exception.

up29_Baldr099.jpg

We use the scroll of Lightning Bolt on the spider. Another one is hit off-screen.

up29_Baldr100.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Oh fuck! It's back!

I knew there was a reason I've always preferred Firball.

up29_Baldr101.jpg

Spiders die.

up29_Baldr102.jpg

I'm a little careless and we walk into a trap. Luckily, it's just Web.

up29_Baldr103.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Here, spidey-spidey!

up29_Baldr104.jpg

We cast two chromatic orbs on the spider, but he only suffers the damage, no status effect. Not even sure what it should be at mage level 6.

codex_m.jpg
Some help here!? I'm fucking dying!

Oh, stop whining, you'll be ok.

up29_Baldr105.jpg

There's a reason we're using a sword called Spider's Bane.

up29_Baldr106.jpg

Yet another trap.

up29_Baldr107.jpg

And the tomb itself is also trapped.

codex_m.jpg
Good thing I am awesome at disarming them.

Yeah, this almost compensates for hide in shadows failing all the fucking time.

up29_Baldr108.jpg

And we've hit the jackpot.

codex_m.jpg
Oh boy, oh boy! :bounce:

up29_Baldr109.jpg

A rather awesome cloak, which might come in handy if we want to use the second Ring of Wizardry and are willing to give up the Cloak of Balduran's magic resistance.

up29_Baldr110.jpg

codex_m.jpg
:yeah:

up29_Baldr111.jpg

And the moment we've all been waiting for.

codex_m.jpg
I certainly was!

up29_Baldr112.jpg

Additional +1 to hit and +3 damage in melee will surely come in handy. Weight allowance has almost doubled from 280 to 500.

up29_Baldr113.jpg

We have almost all the good loot to be found here, but there still are some rooms to explore. They have mostly ghasts inside.

up29_Baldr114.jpg

We're a bit low on HP, so we employ some of the scrolls found earlier - like Web.

up29_Baldr115.jpg

It doesn't help.

codex_m.jpg
I fucking hate ghasts!

At least You've made all the possible saving throws here.

up29_Baldr116.jpg

Ghast dies is unundeaded.

up29_Baldr117.jpg

But wait, there's more!

codex_m.jpg
Fucking great.

up29_Baldr118.jpg

This time Web does what it should be doing.

up29_Baldr119.jpg

The vile undead is defeated without problems.

up29_Baldr120.jpg

Moving on.

codex_m.jpg
Shit! Another one!

up29_Baldr121.jpg

This time we can't risk getting hit even once. Mirror Image is perfect for such situations.

up29_Baldr122.jpg

Another one bites the dust.

codex_m.jpg
Freddie's mustache is fucking hilarious.

up29_Baldr123.jpg

Hurrying up to take advantage of the Mirror Image while it lasts.

up29_Baldr124.jpg

Ghasts aren't very durable when hacked at. Making sure you don't get hit is the key.

codex_m.jpg
You can say that basically about every enemy.

up29_Baldr125.jpg

Should have used Fireball here to speed things up, but completely forgot that we have it prepared.

codex_m.jpg
You're more hopeless than fucking Guy Pearce in Memento!

up29_Baldr126.jpg

Ghasts fall. Not sure how The Codex got the status effect without receiving damage too, but all the better for us.

codex_m.jpg
Maybe it's the "breath weapon" I was saving against earlier.

up29_Baldr127.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Fuck, how many more are there?

Uh, three?

codex_m.jpg
That was a rhetorical question, dumbass.

up29_Baldr128.jpg

As Russians use to say - kein problem.

codex_m.jpg
Who or what are "russians"?

up29_Baldr129.jpg

There'a treasure stash here. The most interesting find is the Wand of Fire. Magic hammer is of a standard +1 variety.

up29_Baldr130.jpg

Area completed!
--------------------------------

Next time: The Codex gets gangbanged a lot.

codex_m.jpg
Oh shit.

Last edited:

taplonaplo

Scholar
Lum the mad will make your stats useful again... eventually
So 2 updates are left i assume? Will you finish it before 2011?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom