Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's solo Baldur's Gate on Insane (feat. The Codex)

Which BG2 LP style would You prefer?

• The Codex Solo / Core

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • The Codex + 1 helper / Hard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Codex + 2 helpers / Hard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Codex + 2 helpers / Insane

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • 6 new characters / Insane

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They may be level 20 NPCs but they probably have useless classes like aristocrats or something. Dont think their stats would be great for combat too.

Erebus

Arcane
Malakal said:
They may be level 20 NPCs but they probably have useless classes like aristocrats or something. Dont think their stats would be great for combat too.

No, I believe they're former adventurers. I read the info in a 2e lorebook (Forgotten Realms Adventures), but it was a long time ago and I don't remember the details well. The three male dukes are fighters ; the female one is a bit lower-level, but she's still a 15th-level wizard or something like that.

Anyway, it's not important. We might as well wonder why Elminster doesn't take care of Sarevok himself, considering he seems to have plenty of time to waste on being cryptic.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Update #32: The Lame Ending

As last update ended in a dramatic cliffhanger, we're thrown immediately back into the action!

up32_Baldr000.jpg

Or rather, we would be, if there was some kind of time limit to rush us. But there's not, as Bioware cannot into urgency. We can make preparations to our hearts' content.

codex_m.jpg
Lame.

This includes some shopping in both the thieves' guild and Sorcerous Sundries (the wizard shop).

codex_m.jpg
Lame, but convenient.

up32_Baldr001.jpg

And this is what our final setup looks like. The Protection From Undead scrolls are a gamble - I've never used them before and want to check out how they'll work against Skeleton Warriors in the labyrinth. That should be funny.

codex_m.jpg
Watch me laugh.

up32_Baldr001a.jpg

The Codex' stats before heading after Sarevok. Greater Basilisk is holding its place for quite some time already. I think only Sarevok himself could dethrone him now.

up32_Baldr002.jpg

Heading downstairs, we reach this room, with some girl lying down on the floor.

codex_m.jpg
A girl lying down on the floor? :smug:

She's wounded, You fucking perv!

codex_m.jpg
Oh. I won't be talking to her then. I know how these things work. Someone's wounded, I talk to them, they die. Like that guy in front of church in Tristram.

Oh yeah, I remember him. He died right after talking to him.

codex_m.jpg
Exactly. Let's just go around this girl.

up32_Baldr003.jpg

But no go - she initiates dialogue on her own.

codex_m.jpg
Fucking NPCs, completely deprived of survival instinct!

up32_Baldr004.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Wow. She actually lived through. I am disappoint surprised.

up32_Baldr005.jpg

We move into the labyrinth, soon encountering first enemies - GREEN SLIMES!

codex_m.jpg
What.

Exactly.

up32_Baldr006.jpg

Their relatively low difficulty level means they are only able to make a cameo in this update.

up32_Baldr007.jpg

But soon, more excitement is abound, as just a few steps further, we meet an OCHRE JELLY!

codex_m.jpg
What.

Yeah, I don't know what it is either.

up32_Baldr008.jpg

It doesn't seem much stronger than green slimes, although certainly has more HP.

up32_Baldr009.jpg

Our next encounter is MUSTARD JELLY!

codex_m.jpg
You've got to be fucking kidding me.

up32_Baldr010.jpg

But wait! The excitement has just doubled, as there are two MUSTARD JELLIES!

codex_m.jpg
This is supposed to be the ultra-exciting and hardcore final update? Fighting fucking pudding? What's next? Cookie monster? If I were the audience, I would demand my money back.

Oh yeah, jokes aside, mustard jellies actually manage to wound and poison our hero. But there's no real threat, since we're stocked up on the purple potions, which both restore HP and cure poison.

codex_m.jpg
It's the bottle that is purple, not the potion itself.

up32_Baldr011.jpg

Even after curing the poison, jellies offer serious resistance - their ranged attack is quite accurate when we're not in melee range (like all shooters, they suffer -4 THAC0 then).

up32_Baldr012.jpg

They are defeated, eventually, thanks to the might of Spider's Bane.

codex_m.jpg
And my skills.

And The Codex' skills, of course.

codex_m.jpg
But yeah, the sword has done a good job too. If only I could say the same about the armor...

up32_Baldr013.jpg

Next enemy on our way is... GRAY OOZE!

codex_m.jpg
Alright, fuck this shit. I've had enough. I quit.

You can't quit now!

codex_m.jpg
Oh yeah? Just watch me!

This is the last one, I promise. No more jellies, slimes and oozes ahead. Really.

codex_m.jpg
You better start praying that you're right!

up32_Baldr014.jpg

The ooze is... well, not a threat.

up32_Baldr015.jpg

As promised, there are no more puddle-type enemies. Next monster we meet is a Doom Guard.

codex_m.jpg
Right. Let's pretend I said nothing and go back to the oozes. Can we?

up32_Baldr016.jpg

We summon a bunch of helpers to distract him. Random Number God declares that the ones slaughtered shall be gnolls.

codex_m.jpg
Have I mentioned I really like the monster spamming approach? Well, I do. :thumbsup:

up32_Baldr017.jpg

It turns out there were two Doom Guards in the nearby area. We start shooting them with arrows +2, but they turn out to be immune. Was it always like that, or are these Doom Guards some kind of upgrades?

codex_m.jpg
The better question is: what the fuck to we do about it?

Oh, that's easy.

up32_Baldr018.jpg

We use the gnoll buffer to retreat, hide, and sneak by the Doom Guards. Gnolls die as predicted.

codex_m.jpg
Farewell, brave friends. Your sacrifice will be remembered. Until the next screenshot, that is.

up32_Baldr019.jpg

Finally, we meet a Skeleton Warrior. I was starting to doubt my memory. Time to try Scroll of Protection From Undead.

codex_m.jpg
I have a bad feeling about this.

up32_Baldr020.jpg

We use the scroll. A nice icon of red skull in blue circle appears on The Codex' portrait.

codex_m.jpg
What exactly is it supposed to do?

It should protect you from all atatck made by the undead, of course!

codex_m.jpg
I'll let myself remain sceptical about it.

up32_Baldr021.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Oh fuck! I'm bleeding red ice crystals!

up32_Baldr022.jpg

Conclusion #1: Scroll of Protection From Undead does not protect from arrows shot by the undead.

Death count: 158

Loading game.

codex_m.jpg
That was fucking unpleasant.

Sneaking by?

codex_m.jpg
Hell yes.

up32_Baldr023.jpg

But before we are able to do that, we have to disarm the traps in this corridoor. Whole this labyrinth is a kind of Dungeon For Dummies (TM), as potentially trapped places are marked with a green symbol on the wall (visible in the screenshot). There's also a similar red symbol, which I think means "you're heading the wrong way, you fucking moron" or something like that.

up32_Baldr024.jpg

This is somewhat tricky, as switching to detect/disarm trap means Hide In Shadows will remain active only for a few more seconds. Disarming traps while staying hidden requires some patience and moderately careful timing.

up32_Baldr025.jpg

But is not very hard overall.

up32_Baldr026.jpg

Moving past the skeleton warriors. They're probably one of the most annoying enemies in the game, as they shoot quickly and accurately from behind the traps, and tend to hit hard with their magic arrows. Disarming the traps is the key - after that Skeleton Warriors quickly fall, even to a moderately strong party.

codex_m.jpg
I prefer to sneak by nonetheless, as they would drain my most precious and most difficult to renew resource: Hit Points.

up32_Baldr027.jpg

Another corridoor with the green markings.

up32_Baldr028.jpg

And another Skeleton Warrior, this time with a sword. And this means...

codex_m.jpg
Oh no...

Oh yes! Scroll of Protection From Undead!

up32_Baldr029.jpg

Let's see what this baby can do in melee!

up32_Baldr030.jpg

Apparently, it can do shit.

Conclusion #2: Scroll of Protection From Undead does not protect from weapons wielded by the undead in melee.

Death count: 159

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
Are you done with the fucking experiments on the living and undead flesh?

Yes. I am very disappointed in these scrolls.

codex_m.jpg
Not as much as I am. Trust me.

up32_Baldr031.jpg

Hide. Detect. Disarm. Retreat. Repeat.

up32_Baldr032.jpg

Sneaking by the skeleton, into the next corridoor.

up32_Baldr033.jpg

There'a red mark here. I'm not sure if my "dead end" interpretation is correct. Anyway, there's also another Doom Guard.

codex_m.jpg
Have you noticed, this labyrinth is actually kinda dull?

Oh, yes. I have. Many times.

up32_Baldr034.jpg

Sneaking by the Doom Guard and another Skeleton Warrior...

up32_Baldr035.jpg

...into a dead end. A trapped dead end.

codex_m.jpg
This dungeon must have been designed by the same moronic jerkass that also made Candlekeep catacombs.

up32_Baldr036.jpg

After some backtracking into another corridoor, we reach the area exit, with the obligatory dying backstabbed mentor-minion of Sarevok.

codex_m.jpg
Yeah. We both know the drill. I'm not talking to him. Although he probably doesn't deserve to live.

We are of course not leaving yet - there is still a lot of fog of war to uncover here. Although it's only done for the sake of completion, as there is absolutely nothing to be gained from it (except maybe some XP, if we cared about that).

up32_Baldr037.jpg

There are actually two routes to this place from the entrance. This is the other one, which we will now follow from the exit side.

up32_Baldr038.jpg

There is a fair amount of dead ends...

codex_m.jpg
BLOODY HELL! What the fuck!?

Oh look, an Invisible Stalker.

codex_m.jpg
No fucking shit!

up32_Baldr039.jpg

Since The Codex is about to die, Mirror Image is our best bet at saving his life.

codex_m.jpg
I fucking hate these fucking stalkers.

up32_Baldr040.jpg

But sometimes even the best bet is not good enough.

Death count: 160

Load game.

codex_m.jpg
I fucking hate these fucking stalkers.

Yes, You already said that.

codex_m.jpg
That's because I really fucking hate them.

up32_Baldr041.jpg

Not sure where exactly we met the stalker (it's usually invisible after all), we're caught off guard one more time.

codex_m.jpg
:rage:

up32_Baldr042.jpg

Once again, Mirror Image to rule them all.

codex_m.jpg
I hope it fucking works this time.

up32_Baldr043.jpg

And it doesn't...

Death count: 161

codex_m.jpg
I am really disappointed in Mirror Image as of late.

Yes, it seems it has ceased to be our life-saving spell. But no worries, as we have a worthy replacement.

up32_Baldr044.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Monster summoning, hell yeah!

up32_Baldr045.jpg

Stalkers (yes, plural) have not turned visible yet, but the message box already revealed their presence.

up32_Baldr046.jpg

There's one!

codex_m.jpg
Time for magic missile to the face, motherfucker!

I'm not sure if they even have faces.

codex_m.jpg
That's beside the point!

up32_Baldr047.jpg

Second stalker appears. Summoned dogs drop like flies, so we acquire some help for them.

up32_Baldr048.jpg

Unlike Doom Guards, Invisible Stalkers don't have the "magic arrow immunity" skill. We use this fact against them.

up32_Baldr049.jpg

And switch to a sword in the latter part, to conserve arrows - going back to a shop right now would be anti-climactic (if even possible).

up32_Baldr050.jpg

Green rune on the wall = traps.

up32_Baldr051.jpg

And there's one more stalker here. We learn it the hard way.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck!

up32_Baldr052.jpg

It doesn't give us much of a chance to summon help or anything like that.

Death count: 162

codex_m.jpg
Have I mentioned...

That You hate Invisible Stalkers? Yes. Believe me, I'm not too fond of them either.

up32_Baldr053.jpg

It's time to swarm it with gnolls.

codex_m.jpg
Go forth, my minions! For certain death glory!

up32_Baldr054.jpg

codex_m.jpg
What do you say to that, mr stalker, huh!? Not so fucking pleasant a situation, is it?

We use the gnoll buffer and Spider's Bane's superior reach to combat the stalker from a safe spot.

up32_Baldr055.jpg

Victory is ours.

codex_m.jpg
Summoning monsters: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

up32_Baldr056.jpg

Area completed!

codex_m.jpg
Good. Geezus fuck, that was tedious as hell.

up32_Baldr057.jpg

We reach the underground city of... well, just the underground city.

codex_m.jpg
It doesn't look like much, but everything's better than that fucking labyrinth.

up32_Baldr058.jpg

We don't want this update to drag on needlessly while being so close to the end battle, so we're going to cheat a little bit here.

up32_Baldr059.jpg

Area completed!

codex_m.jpg
Clairvoyance: completist's best friend! :thumbsup:

up32_Baldr060.jpg

But it would be too easy if we could just move on to the final battle - there's one encounter before that.

codex_m.jpg
Who are these guys?

Iron Throne's assassins sent to kill Sarevok for his betrayal.

codex_m.jpg
He betrayed them? When?

In the so-called meantime. We must have missed it.

codex_m.jpg
So, these guys are on my side? Finally, some help!

Forget it. Don't you see the red circles? They want to kill You too. You've been a thorn to the side of Iron Throne for a long time now.

codex_m.jpg
Oh yeah. Screw them then.

up32_Baldr061.jpg

For a moment I'm tempted to just sneak past them, but I know our noble audience doesn't like it when I'm omitting interesting encounters, so we're going to kill them.

codex_m.jpg
I'd like a word with the audience, if I may...

You certainly may not.

up32_Baldr062.jpg

We start with Mirror Image and Web, following with a series of FireBalls from Wand of Fire.

up32_Baldr063.jpg

Rahvin seems to be the leader of this little party.

codex_m.jpg
Fucking plot getting in the way of good fun again. I thought we were done with it after the last update.

Almost.

up32_Baldr064.jpg

It's not bad as long as there are two archers vs The FireBall Flinging Codex (our hero's AC vs missile weapons is still very good).

up32_Baldr065.jpg

Unfortunately, Rahvin seems to be supplied with exploding arrows. These hurt a lot.

codex_m.jpg
Confirmed. Fucking empirically.

Also, their mage, Shaldrissa, appears on the scene. No doubt, casting some nasty spell.

up32_Baldr066.jpg

Third FireBall finally kills one of them (the thief guy, whatever his name was). Yet another player enters the pitch - Gorf The Ogre (a frog pun, anyone?).

codex_m.jpg
Why do I suddenly have an influx of bad feelings?

up32_Baldr067.jpg

We run escape retreat from the ogre, but reach a dead end. We're left with the necessity of fighting it in melee.

codex_m.jpg
Mirror image!

up32_Baldr068.jpg

The spell still hasn't regained its usefulness, it seems.

Death count: 163

Loading game.

codex_m.jpg
Monster spamming?

Shouldn't do any harm (to us).

up32_Baldr069.jpg

A tactical error is made from the start. We cast from outside enemies' sight range, but our monsters are summoned inside it. That leaves us with only one group of hobgoblins before they react.

up32_Baldr070.jpg

Some Haseo guy begins slaughtering the poor hobgoblins (another named Carston is shooting at them from afar), while The Codex faces a duel with Shaldrissa.

codex_m.jpg
I've got something for you, bitch!

up32_Baldr071.jpg

We employ our new secret weapon: Arrows of Dispelling. One hit is enough to deprive Shaldrissa of her protection spells. Most important of them being probably Mirror Image.

codex_m.jpg
Say hello to my little friend!

up32_Baldr072.jpg

We don't actually manage to kill Shaldrissa, as Rahvin begins overkilling hobgoblins with his FireBall arrows. The mage dies in friendly fire - which is literally fire. The Codex is saved by a chunk of wall, but we now have to defeat Haseo in melee.

up32_Baldr073.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Mwahahahaha! Slaughter!

The Codex proves his combat superiority by cutting Haseo in half. Meanwhile, the archer guy Carston is probably very upset at being shot with fireball arrows (or maybe he really liked Shaldrissa?) and starts dealing an awful lot of damage to Rahvin.

up32_Baldr074.jpg

As everyone no doubt can see in the message box, Rahvin responded with violence too. Gotta love when Your enemies turn against each other. We don't want to interrupt them directly, so we summon some more War Dogs.

up32_Baldr075.jpg

Our summons surround one of them, but Carston and Rahvin are only interested in killing each other. Also, the ogre is still alive, we need to do something about this.

codex_m.jpg
Like what?

up32_Baldr076.jpg

Like fireballing the area. One of the War Dogs kicks the bucket. Casualty of war. In the meantime, enemy closest to us (Carston? Rahvin?) was eaten by War Dogs. The other one dies of FireBall poisoning.

up32_Baldr077.jpg

Another FireBall is cast, killing some guy named Wudei, who I missed before (he must have been the party thief). After that The Codex enters melee himself, encouraged by the ogre being webbed.

up32_Baldr078.jpg

Gorf soon gets his naughty bits bitten off by our War Dogs. We are only left with defeating a wolf summoned by our enemies.

codex_m.jpg
:yeah:

up32_Baldr079.jpg

How ironic that the last enemy we kill before the endgame is a wolf.

up32_Baldr080.jpg

What kind epic loot could be dropped by the enemies directly preceding the end boss, You ask?

codex_m.jpg
Gold. Jewels. Rings and necklaces. I don't get the developers' sense of humor at this point.

up32_Baldr081.jpg

Magic arrows - this is somewhat better.

up32_Baldr082.jpg

These Arrows +2 and Arrows of Piercing are actually the only really usable stuff found here.

up32_Baldr083.jpg

Approaching the temple of Bhaal.

codex_m.jpg
Hell yeah! Let's kick Sarevok's ass!

In a moment.

up32_Baldr084.jpg

Before we enter - we have some resting to do.

up32_Baldr085.jpg

And more resting.

codex_m.jpg
Uh... why?

up32_Baldr086.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Oooooooh.

up32_Baldr087.jpg

I'll probably forget to use it anyway, but it's better to have it, than not - especially in the context of exporting the character into Shadows of Amn.

up32_Baldr088a.jpg

The Codex' final stats. I wil spare everyone the lengthy rant about statistical average XP value of a single kill (280) and how many gibberlings that would make.

At least for now...

up32_Baldr088.jpg

We're inside - and already in a very important spot. As You can see, the center of the room here is out of bounds for The Codex.

codex_m.jpg
Only temporarily, of course.

up32_Baldr089.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Or not.

Yeah, these traps cannot be disarmed. Damn cheating game. We'll just have to remember not to step on them.

up32_Baldr090.jpg

Not that the sides are safe, mind You.

codex_m.jpg
Such deviousness!

up32_Baldr092.jpg

Fortunately, these are not immune to our hero's skills.

codex_m.jpg
Ha! I rule!

up32_Baldr094.jpg

The other side is trap free (which is good), but if we come too close to the sarcophaguses here, they spawn Doom Guards Battle Horrors (which is bad). Try to guess if I remembered that.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck.

up32_Baldr095.jpg

We use the combat method proven successful against Doom Guards in the labyrinth.

codex_m.jpg
Except I can't escape anywhere.

up32_Baldr096.jpg

That's what we carry Wand of Paralyzation for.

codex_m.jpg
Awesome!

up32_Baldr097.jpg

Battle Horror meets his death.

up32_Baldr098.jpg

We leave our hobgoblin helpers near the entrance and sneak by Sarevok to uncover the whole room (stupid, I know).

up32_Baldr099.jpg

The dialogue is triggered regardless of invisibility, it seems.

up32_Baldr100.jpg

Luckily, there's an option to end it quickly.

codex_m.jpg
Good. I only like talkative bosses when You can kill them in dialogue. In a non-stupid way. I am looking at you, Eden!

up32_Baldr101.jpg

Some Semaj guy appears and immediately teleports out of our sight range. We start hearing screams of dying hobgoblins.

codex_m.jpg
My keen deduction senses say he's near the entrance.

up32_Baldr102.jpg

We immediately move there, accidentally spawning another Battle Horror on the way. Surely, this will not bite us in our collective ass later.

codex_m.jpg
Don't call me Shirley.

up32_Baldr103.jpg

When we arrive, hobgoblins are all dead already.

codex_m.jpg
Nooooooo...! Oh, wait, I don't really care about that.

We say hello by shooting an Arrow of Dispelling at Semaj, who loses all his buffs.

codex_m.jpg
This almost feels like cheating. Almost.

up32_Baldr104.jpg

We're following with a series of Arrows +2, but Semaj is a cheating bastard and releases Contigency with some mysterious Tattoo of Power. The Codex is affected by a Greater Malison spell, which fucks up his saving throws (if I remember correctly). At this point, I should have used the potion of magic blocking (or something like that), which would grant us automatic saving throws succes.
But I didn't.

codex_m.jpg
That's... not good?

up32_Baldr105.jpg

The Codex is affected by Chaos.

codex_m.jpg
What? Where? Who?

up32_Baldr106.jpg

Semaj decided to finish the combat and casts Cloud Kill.

codex_m.jpg
What? Why? You? You!

But not all is lost, as our hero regains some parts of his consciousness and starts shooting at the mage with pre-equipped Arrows +2.

up32_Baldr107.jpg

It works surprisingly well - Semaj soon croaks.

codex_m.jpg
Yes! Yes? Why? No?

That unfortunately does not change the fact that The Codex is standing in the middle of a double damage dealing Cloud Kill.

up32_Baldr108.jpg

Will our hero survive?

codex_m.jpg
What? Ow. *cough* Why?

up32_Baldr109.jpg

He does!

codex_m.jpg
Yes. Awesome. Ow. Who?

I patiently wait until Chaos wears off.

up32_Baldr110.jpg

Talking to Sarevok disables the ability to leave the temple, and resting inside is imposssible. That means our margin for mistakes got severely reduced.
After some heavy drinking, we're ready to continue.

codex_m.jpg
That was one trippy fight, I tell you. Now let's kick some bhaalspawn ass!

up32_Baldr111.jpg

We proceed to do just that.

codex_m.jpg
He's alone against us and one million wardogs. We've already won!

up32_Baldr112.jpg

Not exactly. Angelo (archer) and Tazok (melee fighter) join our enemy soon. The difficulty level is about to get a serious spike up.

codex_m.jpg
Like they really could do something here.

up32_Baldr113.jpg

They can, as Angelo is one of those fireball-arrow-shooting bastards and quickly slaughters all our summoned helpers.

codex_m.jpg
:rage:

up32_Baldr114.jpg

We find ourselves outnumbered and, what's worse, outsworded.

up32_Baldr115.jpg

The Codex manages to leave our enemies' sight range in time - nobody follows.

codex_m.jpg
That's just stupid. It's not like I could've escaped far away, could I?

up32_Baldr116.jpg

There they are - the three amigos.

codex_m.jpg
They seem to be... just standing still.

Maybe they forgot why they were here?

codex_m.jpg
Time to remind them!

up32_Baldr117.jpg

codex_m.jpg
They are here to DIE!

But not by FireBall, it seems, as damage it deals is just pathetic. All of them must be sporting some serious fire resistance.

up32_Baldr118.jpg

Oh, right, I forgot to summon monsters before shooting that FireBall...

codex_m.jpg
You've got to be fucking joking! :x

up32_Baldr119.jpg

Angelo keeps fireballing the area, but his damage rolls must be unlucky, as The Codex only loses a couple of HP. Even Tazok is hurt more than that.

up32_Baldr120.jpg

Since our monster buffer got raped once again, we save ourselves with a Potion of Invisibility. Sarevok immediately forgets about our hero and decides to kill the first thing he sees - Angelo.

codex_m.jpg
What.

Actually, that's probably because Angelo hurt Tazok, or even Sarevok himself, with his fireball arrows. The game does not differentiate accidental damage from purposeful one.

codex_m.jpg
This is too stupid to be true.

up32_Baldr121.jpg

But yeah, they start to fight - with Angelo still shooting fireball arrows (in fucking melee!). The Codex gets hurt in the process, but Tazok does not bother with air burning around him and still fails to see our invisible hero.

up32_Baldr122.jpg

Of course, the suicide bomber archer is no match for Sarevok in the long run.

sarevok_m.jpg
Mwahahahaha! Slaughter!

codex_m.jpg

Must be a family thing.

up32_Baldr123.jpg

I decide to follow the initial plan, so we assume a defensive position and summon monsters in bulk. And we get rushed a the previously released Battle Horror.

codex_m.jpg
I completely forgot about it.

up32_Baldr124.jpg

Luckily, we still have some charges on the Wand of Paralyzation.

up32_Baldr125.jpg

Sarevok decides to join the party.

codex_m.jpg
You're too soon, I'm not ready yet!

up32_Baldr126.jpg

Paralyzed Battle Horror dies soon. Meanwhile Sarevok organizes a bloodbath for our summons.

sarevok_m.jpg
Mwahahahaha! Slaughter!

up32_Baldr127.jpg

We reinforce our troops with fresh recruits all the time, shooting Sarevok with Arrows of Piercing between the spells.

sarevok_m.jpg
Mwahahahaha! Slaughter!

codex_m.jpg
Stop it already!

That 24 damage he deals would get doubled if he was fighting You directly.

codex_m.jpg
That would be so not cool...

up32_Baldr128.jpg

sarevok_m.jpg
Mwahahahaha! Slaughter!

codex_m.jpg
That's it! I'm going to fucking kill you!

So... What has changed?

codex_m.jpg
You are next on the list, smartass!

up32_Baldr129.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Go forth, my minions!

Why does it look like You're the end boss for him here, not the other way around?

codex_m.jpg
It doesn't... Oh, wait, it kinda does. Weird shit.

up32_Baldr130.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Hahaha! The loser got hit by a gnoll!

Well, that means the gnoll dealt more damage to him than You did.

codex_m.jpg
What? Fuck! We have to do something about it!

up32_Baldr131.jpg

I take a moment to think and remember that we have these, which should improve The Codex' accuracy.

up32_Baldr132.jpg

The combat is entering its final stages. Not that You can deduce it from the screenshot, but trust me - it is.

up32_Baldr133.jpg

It drags so long that some of the oldest summons are beginning to disappear, but finally accuracy improved by Potion of Heroism does its job and Sarevok gets final arrow to the... I don't know, leg?

codex_m.jpg
HELL FUCKING YES! The bow owns his shit!

Congratulations.

codex_m.jpg
Thanks! What happens now?

Ending cinematics, I think.

up32_Baldr134.jpg

Or not.

codex_m.jpg
WTF is this shit?

We get BG2 credits instead of our outro movie. Some kind of tutu bug, I guess.

codex_m.jpg
I can't believe it! This is so fucking lame!

We've both seen the outro, so no big loss, right?

codex_m.jpg
Um...

What? You haven't? Didn't You finish the game before?

codex_m.jpg
I never said I did! You assumed that, and I just never corrected that mistake! I got rather far, it's just...

Right. Here's the outro for You, then.

codex_m.jpg
Okay... And why didn't you do that with all the previous cinematics?

We're not here for the plot. Besides they all were rather lame.

codex_m.jpg
This one too. And I don't really get it.

Oh, You will. You will. :smug:

THE END
-----------------------------------

Thanks to everyone who followed and commented the LP. I hope You enjoyed at least some parts of it. I certainly did (some parts, that is), but hell if it wasn't a chore at times. Whoever thought of that fucking "no run-throughs" rule should be killed, chopped into pieces, burned and buried - if it wasn't me, that is.

Don't turn off Your PCs and/or kill yourself just yet, as there's still more to come. I am planning to LP BG2 (+ToB) too, but my enthusiasm is not high as it was before starting this one. The game will be started no earlier than in February, as I really need a break from Infinity Engine. In the meantime, I shall put up a poll that will let You (yes, You!) decide on the playstyle of the following LP. I don't really feel the drive to play it solo insane (I am not fighting dragons in this setup, forget it), so I'll let You decide if You'd rather want to see it played solo/core -or- insane, but with a (limited or full) party.
The first approach would allow me to keep the LP playstyle (and writing) as it is, but the second will allow noble codexers to volunteer as meatshields and take part in the exciting adventures. (I also have pre-defined party variant ready, just in case.)
Details shall appear soon.

There's also one more bonus update to be posted, but don't expect anything special (and certainly don't expect continuity).

Last edited:

Monocause

Arcane
Go solo/core with BG2. There's (or was?) already a team-based BG2 LP and it's the narration plus the death count that makes this LP so awesome. We want to see you die a loner and suffer and use cheese tactics and go all FFFFFFFFUUUUUU, that's what we want.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Congratulations, a good LP of a mediocre game. Sarevok wasn't as tough as one could expect too, invisible stalkers were way more dangerous.

But anyway well done!

Oesophagus

Arcane
Go solo man, if you've got the endurance.
If not, do a codex crew playthorugh

Caue you can never have too many of those :smug: (paco?)

Congrats on a fine LP, and on surprising me by not getting the codex killed by sarevok once

taplonaplo

Scholar
Thanks for the LP!
I don't really care whether solo or party BG2, both has its merits, pick whichever way you want to play.

Oh, and you can avoid most ground traps in BG games by simply wallhugging.

Hoping you will do the Mind flayer dungeon in BG 2 since I skipped that in my play through, I'll probably replay the game some day and do it... or I could enjoy a fine LP

And this is where I should post that applause gif but since I can't find it on my drive I'll just say well done. :salute:

acolyte

Educated
Nicely done, and no small feat :salute: Thanks for your tireless efforts, much appreciated. Will definitely follow a BG2 playthrough (can't wait:)) - solo/core would be just fine, insane really wouldn't add much for the viewers, I think.

Johannes

Arcane
Play solo/core but get scs this time :D

Overall BG2 (or SoA atleast) should be easier though, since level cap wonn't hit you as early.

desocupado

Magister
Thanks for the effort and the trouble of bringing us some fun. I enjoyed you LP a lot.

I prefer if you go solo. What does "core" means?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:love:

Honestly, I never would’ve thought one could make an awesome BG1 LP. But you actually managed to pull off just that! Impressive. :clap: :clap: :salute:

Also I vote for going solo in BG2 because
DramaticPopcorn said:
The playstyle must be preserved.
Still, I wouldn't be too upset if you should decide to go party(ing).

Morbe

Novice
I think you should reconsider soloing bg2 on insane. I just soloed bg and SoA (and most of ToB, got bored before the end) with a fighter/mage/cleric on insane. I guess the cleric gives a bigger advantage than a thief, but halfway through SoA it got ridiculously easy, thanks to the eight million level cap and the whirlwinds and high level mage spells it brought with it. After I left for the asylum (which I did pretty early), I really don't think I died once except because of petrifying traps and such.

ironyuri

Morbe said:
I think you should reconsider soloing bg2 on insane. I just soloed bg and SoA (and most of ToB, got bored before the end) with a fighter/mage/cleric on insane. I guess the cleric gives a bigger advantage than a thief, but halfway through SoA it got ridiculously easy, thanks to the eight million level cap and the whirlwinds and high level mage spells it brought with it. After I left for the asylum (which I did pretty early), I really don't think I died once except because of petrifying traps and such.

I think soloing on core would be fine, as long as the baseline encounters aren't too easy.

Also, the no-run throughs rule works, you just don't have to go to every unecessary area like in BG1.

Much love BROS

edit- Dragons would be entirely optional right? I don't really give a shit about the shadow dragon. The red one would be worth cheesing though with the Codex for fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom