Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's stumble through tunnels and on trolls! [Tunnels & Trolls: Crusaders of Khazan LP]

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The little tavern of the Silver Swan reeked like taverns everywhere: of smoky oil lamps, spilled beer, and wet dogs.

None of that surprised me. The liquid voice of the storyteller, the richness of his lutesong, and the rapt attention he earned from the denizens of the place -- now that surprised me.

I ordered my mug of dark wine and sat on a bench beside a ruddy-faced farmer.

"I've been kicking around the backwaters of this dragon-shaped land for a lot of years," I whispered, "but this fellow's voice belongs in the great hall of the Princess of Gull."

Most bards of my experience croak like the ghost-toads that fill the spiderhawk trees during the Frogsong rains. Not this fellow.

"Shhh!" said farmer Redcheeks. "He's singing of the Wizards' War."

I don't argue with Fate when She's kind: it happens so rarely. The minstrel was worth listening to and, like the yokel, I listened.

That first night I sat in the Swan, Elysan caressed his bloodwood lute and sang of the great Wizard's War -- a favorite, if largely apocryphal, topic among bards. "In ancient times shrouded by mists of forgetfulness..." -- the line went something like that.

A legendary time when sorcerers knew no limits to their powers, and a wizard's whim could overturn a common man's world with an eyeblink. Endless power corrupted their minds. Insane with power, the mightiest sorcerers battled one another, having no other worthy opponents. Twisted monsters literally rose up from the landscape to wreak havoc on all, and lesser magicians dug holes in the earth to hide their paltry treasures away from the great and powerful.

But you've probably heard the story before. The world was blasted back to sticks and rocks, the Great Escarpment rose like an assassin's slash across the Dragon's throat as the land buckled in protest, and thousands perished. Those who survived profoundly mistrusted the magical energies that had obliterated all that went before. Too important a force to ignore, magic was placed under the control of the highly conservative and largely secretive Wizards' Guild, and the world-breaking sorceries of ages gone were practiced no more.

Elysan stopped singing then, and when I could get through the crowd of well-wishers, I bought him a mug of brandy.

"After the Wizards' War ended," the songmaster said with a smack of his lips, "things were bad for everyone."

Redcheeks swung his leg over the bench to sit in on our conversation. "I heard that humans had it bad, but the old races, the elves and dwarves and such, they'd really sided with the evil sorcerers and had it pretty good."

Elysan shook his head vigorously. "The bad old days came down like darkness on everyone, and the old races fared no better. All the humans' close relatives -- and yes, Farmer Redcheeks, the long-eared elves, the dour dwarves, and the rustic, homey hobbs are all your kin! -- had to struggle daily for the minimal needs of survival."

A young hobb in a blue shirt spoke up from beside me. "Our people remember better, perhaps, than yours. Settled lands were few and far between, and the monstrous kindreds, bloody-handed, struck down careless travellers without the slightest fear of retribution. They certainly didn't care if the traveller was four spans tall, or eight."

Elysan swallowed a mouthful of his brandy. "Men walled those first small towns, and hobb and dwarf delved into the cliffs and hills. Elfkin disappeared into the forest depths, and everyone hid." He maintained it was only the prodigious fertility of humans that ensured their continuation into the next age.

"I won't tell more of that time, now," said the Songmaster. "That tale I save for tomorrow night."

He finished the last of his drink and disappeared into a back room. Though I had planned to continue my journey, I took a bed myself in one of the Silver Swan's upper-floor rooms. I only had to displace a few of the larger vermin...

The second night, Elysan drew even more of a crowd, among them the farmer and the hobb. Elysan sang of the first great heroes, men and women who battled back the bloodthirsty ghouls and the toad warriors, and the evil-hearted orcs and trolls and goblins, to make a little peace for the young towns.

Then rose the great wizard Khazan.

A giant of a man, Khazan worked tirelessly, uniting the tiny towns with a single-minded vision of a great empire. The city Herome, at the mouth of the Tharothar River, became his capital city, renamed "Khazan" in the wizard's honor. Khazan and his empire set an example to all of what the best of the so-called "civilized" races could be. Driven into the dark hinterlands, monsterkind diminished in power except for brief, erratic attempts to regain their lost domains.

A golden age ensued -- for humankind and kin, at least -- and with the arcane sorceries at his command, Khazan ruled benevolently for six centuries. His powerful guidance brought peace and prosperity from the tip of the Dragon's Nose to the Axridge Mountains, and a traveller could walk the Great Road without fear, from Khosht to the capital, carrying a sack of diamonds.

Great as he was, however, the wizard Khazan had not eliminated evil and ambition. Just look around you if you doubt that! Under the threat of oblivion, the monsterkin responded with ever-greater wit and determination. The first major success was the secret subversion of Khazan's closest associate, Khara Kang. The keystone, though, came with the rise of the mysterious Lerotra'hh, she who united the monstrous kindreds against human rule.

"Stop!" shouted the hobb, shaking with fear. Elysan Songmaster broke off his song. "Evil follows all mention of her name."

The denizens of the bar shuddered; in truth; threats of an impending visit from the Death Empress had been used by countless mothers to quiet squalling children -- probably everyone there had their share of nightmares, grounded in ignorance and fear.

Elysan spoke soothingly to the crowd as he received a fresh drink from me. "The Death Empress' name should not frighten you. She might frighten you, but she is far off in the capital, Khazan, and has never set foot in this village, I expect."

Hushed muttering, laced with fear, surged across the hall. The barkeep, Phoenix Bungtapper, pounded on his bar. "Never had a drink in this tavern! Never will!" He pulled a fat little keg from near his feet and set it up on the bar. "Now... a very old cask of Blackwater's Best, the last in the region. Who's got a merry face for a mug of Blackwater's Best!"

The crowd enlivened considerably after that. Even Elysan's statement that there'd be just one more night of song did little to dishearten the people. His voice would be worth waiting for.

I found a relatively quiet corner in which to stare at my wine, and Elysan joined me after I'd emptied and refilled it once.

"I thought you looked like a man who's seen more of the world than he tells," said the singer. I nodded slowly. "The local folk -- like that little hobb -- they wouldn't care for most of my stories." Elysan's lips twisted in amusement. "I might have a use for them, though. And not every hobb has a quaking heart."

"Hey!"
The young hobb took a seat across from the two of us, looking severe. "You saying I'm a weakheart?"

Elysan raised a hand. his fingertips calloused from the strings. "In truth, I've never yet known a hobb who lacked a stout heart. I'm sure you've a reason to dread the Death Empress."

The hobb plucked at the coarse homespun of his sleeve. "Not really. I don't know that much about... her. I came over to apologize for stopping your song."

Elysan waved away the words. "The song ended there in any case. No reason to apologize."

"Perhaps," I said, "you just need to learn a little bit about her." I glanced at the songmaster and found him watching me intently.

"Twelve years ago I stood on the streets of Tallymark and watched Her High-and-Mightiness pass through that sad little village at the head of a double battalion of half-orcs. Chasing down a forbidden cult of werebears, I believe, that plotted her overthrow. Or perhaps they were just disrespectful: they named her 'La Roach Trap' -- not to her face, I bet! -- but it caught on."

The hobb looked stricken, then grinned weakly.

"The person I saw that day was one impressive being, whatever her parentage -- though I don't find it hard to doubt the tales about her. She's a powerful-looking woman, very grim that day in her black leather, with the pointed ears of her mother's elfin folk, and the fiery gleam of orc-kin in her eyes. Not a pretty lady, no, but exotic -- charismatic -- a very compelling figure. I've seen all types, but I won't soon forget her. How she happened, no one asks. I rather doubt even she knows. Lerotra'hh's history, though..."

Elysan stopped me there. "That's where my tale starts," he promised, "tomorrow night."

When he picked up his lute the next night, he sang to a tavern packed to the rafters.

Lerotra'hh rode out of the Khargish Mountains four centuries ago, leading monster hordes in organized warfare -- something almost unheard-of among the quarrelsome and irritable monsterkin. Khazan's response to Lerotra'hh's invasion proved adequate until Khara Kang revealed his allegiance to the Death Queen, as she was then known. With Khara Kang firmly on the side of monsterdom, the balance of power reached an indecisive and bloody stalemate. Endless battles waged around nameless towns, and brutal conflicts left creekbeds formerly dry foaming with the mixed blood of races humanoid and monstrous alike.

Finally, to preserve what little he had wrought, Khazan proposed a truce to end the bloodshed on both sides. The great wizard agreed to step down, to go into exile. He would separate himself from this world and its concerns. Lerotra'hh would rule. In exchange, the half-orc/half-elf woman would allow land and rights to man and monster alike, favoring neither and tolerating both.

When the truce was settled, and the mutual oaths and ensorcellments finalized, Khazan took his leave and disappeared. For four hundred years, the Death Empress has honored the Great Treaty, in fact if not always in spirit. Man and monster contend as individuals, and occasionally meet as friends, but the massive troop movements and the bloody wars largely ended with the Treaty.

Lerotra'hh's rulership, aided by the bureaucratically-minded Khara Kang, has been uneasy. Only north of the Great Escarpment does the Empire rule with a firm hand. The lesser towns and baronies to the south largely tend their own affairs, and the great island of Phoron remains an independent principality, just as it was since Khazan's time.

The last chords of Elysan's lute faded, and he cleared his throat.

"The song ends there," he said, "but not the tale. You all know the stories of what's been happening up north, and you don't need a scryer to get a forecasting of the future. I can tell you of that because I was in the capitol just one year ago. The signs were there to be seen. Lerotra'hh and her minion Khara Kang have loosed the bonds of the Treaty. The icy heart of the Death Empress sees that humankind and kin are prospering, even without her favor. The human scum who once sided with her orcs are settling into cottages on the edges of the Great Forest. Even the occasional ogre takes up shepherding rather than stealing a lamb from a hobb's flocks. And the independent city-states threaten her sovereignty. The Death Empress forments dissent now, making capricious rulings against some hot-headed Northerners, and sending troublemakers to rouse the mistrust of humankind among the monsterkin. The monstrous troops of the Empire are gathering, and humankind and kin are their target."

The ruddy-faced farmer spoke up from near the back wall. "Pretty minstrel's tales, but the Great Wizard will stop them eventually. That's what the Treaty is all about, right? Anyway, I've heard all the trouble's exaggerated -- just a little village that a troll took down. Nothing special."

"I heard Tallymark was burned to the ground!" shouts the hobb from atop one of the tables. "I had relatives up near there that I haven't heard from in months!"

Elysan looked at the farmer sadly and nodded at the hobb. "Rumors chase each other like dogs chase cats, but this is true: there has been much death and the troops have been marching. The wizard Khazan does not seem to remember. Perhaps the evil pair ruling in the capital have made it too difficult for him to recall his obligation to this world. Certainly Khara Kang's knowledge of his former master puts him in a unique position to undermine the safeguards and alarms which the wizard Khazan surely placed to alert him if the Treaty were bent, much less broken. I fear we face anotner bloody dark age."

I stood.

"EIysan, and all of you -- listen. I am a stranger here, but a well-travelled man in my own right. With the turn of the millennium always comes a time of changes. I suspect that Khara Kang and the Death Empress have planned long and well to escape the chafing bonds of the Treaty at this particular time. But when the need is great, humankind always finds the heroes it needs among its best and bravest men and women. That same drive for greatness exists in the dwarfkind, and among the fair elves, and even in the doughty little hobbs. I say that a band of adventurers could overthrow the tyrants in the capital, and overcome the barriers that bind the great wizard Khazan in his sleep or death or exile."

Murmuring rose to babbling, and that to shouts. Finaly Elysan's commanding voice overrode the noise.

"And you -- are you offering yourself as the leader of such a band?"

I laughed. "Not I! I spoke of the best and bravest; I am neither. But I do know this: the ones who chose this adventure will be remembered in songs like yours, Elysan, until the sun grows cold and all the mountains have flattened to plains!"

Elysan smiled in agreement. "May it soon come to pass," he said, "for our need is great."

We lifted our mugs and toasted the heroes-to-be. "To the greatest, yet to come!"

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
cover.jpg

Tunnels & Trolls: Crusaders of Khazan is a CRPG based on Ken St. Andre's pen and paper RPG Tunnels & Trolls and released by New World Computing in 1990. The lead designer on the game was Liz Danforth, so that makes it two Wasteland/Wasteland 2 designers involved with this game. As you can imagine, that was alone enough to pique my curiosity, despite the complete ignorance I profess -- in shame -- about the underlying P&P system. So I thought I might as well make this game into a Let's Play, if only to see Ken and Liz's approach to writing and game design in a game other than Wasteland. That, and the voices in my head telling me to start another LP.

This is going to be a blind LP, which means I'll be stumbling around blindly, the manual being my only aid. Lord help me, because this is supposed to be a game with rather unforgiving combat. From what I've heard, some monsters are even supposed to be unbeatable, but that's just hearsay... for now.

Naturally, no Codex LP of a party-based game can do without Codexers. This game only has a four-character party, so I need four characters. If more than four people happen to apply, a roll of a die plus my own discretion with regard to how I want to build my party (spoiler: I've no idea yet) will decide the unlucky four. Deadline for applications: whenever I say it's over.

These are the things you should provide when submitting your character:

1. First name and Last name. There's an 8 character limit on the First name and 8 character limit on the Last name.

2. Race
Manual said:
There are four "friendly" races that populate the Dragon Continent: humans, elves, dwarves, and hobbs. Each race has attributes that help or hinder them in certain tasks, thus making them more suitable for one Class or another. Together these benevolent races are called the humankin.

Human. Humans form the largest and the greatest enclave within the empire of Khazan. Rugged, tall, and capable of learning spells, humans were the most resistant against the tide of monsters that Lerotra'hh directed during her raids. This race is well suited to perform in any class.

Elf. Slightly taller than their human kin, elves have very delicate features framed by fair locks of flowing hair. Their ears, enlarged and poimed, are far more sensitive to sound, making them ideal from guards. Having superior memorization capabilities, elves make excellent wizards.

Dwarf. Stern, taciturn and rustic, dwarves are outstanding Warriors. Best suited to wielding axes, these miniature humans carved their way into the humankin in the days before the Wizard's War, but have since become loyal members of Khazan's Empire.

Hobb. The most diminutive of the humankin, hobbs are roughly half the height of an average human. Despite their size, they have incredible dexterity, and are ideally suited to being a member of the Rogue class.

3. Sex: male or female (only these two, sorry)
Manual said:
Your character's attributes will not be affected by your selection of sex, but it may help influence the attitudes of various people and creatures that you meet along your journey.
This being a blind LP, I honestly have not the faintest idea whether or not this is one of the cases where the manual promises more than the game can actually deliver. Just choose whichever sex you want.

4. Character Class (of which there are just three)
Manual said:
Warrior. Bronze muscles that gleam with rivulets of sweat, gritty stares that blaze with fierce ambition, ragged scars that criss-cross massive backs: all trademarks of the bold class known as the Warrior class. These gritty individuals are well -trained in the arts of weapon, shield, and armor. Because they are familiar with these implements, they receive twice the protection from any shield or armor that they bear. By contaminating themselves with the touch of steel, however, these individuals may never learn to cast spells.

Rogue. Know the Rogue by his gaze that shi fts side-to-side, by the patchwork clothing that he often wears, but mostly by the nails of his long fingers which he continually cleans with a rusty dirk. Quick to temper, this class of individual is a wily opponent capable of using any weapon. In addition, he can learn spells from fellow wizards, open locks with little difficulty, and disarm any number of traps. Unlike their Warrior brethren, they cannot use weapons or armor with as great a proficiency. Also, Rogues find themselves outcast from the magical arts and no Wizard's Guild will teach them spells for any price. Further, despite their craftiness, they may never learn any spell that exceeds the 8th level.

Wizard. Dressing always in black voluminous robes, a faint wreath of fire encircles this character class, scarcely perceptible even in the darkest of caverns. Despite their limited ability to do hand-to-hand combat, these magical individuals are capable of dealing out all manner of horrifying death. From the beginning they are able to use several Level 1 spells, and in time they will learn spells from other levels, but for ever-increasing amounts of money. Not anyone can become a member of this class, however, as it requires great INT and DEX to learn and cast spells (this class option will disappear from the screen if the INT and DEX are too low). In addition, wizards may be unable to use certain types of shields or armor.
The classes are pretty standard, apart from Rogues who are Mage/Wizard hybrids that can also pick locks and disarms traps.

5. Any general guidelines on the attributes you'd like your character to have. They are rolled, not point-bought, so I won't be able to follow your wishes to a tee. Keep in mind that magic is pretty non-standard in T&T in that every spell *drains Strength* from the caster, so you have to be pretty strong to be an efficient Wizard. If you don't provide any guidelines, I will just do whatever lame thing crosses my mind at the moment of creating your character.

Overall, there are 7 attributes in this game:
Manual said:
Strength (ST). If you have a hard time picking up your sword, wielding it effectively against a band of orcs may prove to be a disappoiming experience! This attribute measures your character's ability to lift, push, pull, swing and throw objects. This should be the primary consideration for those desiring to be Warriors. Wizards also require ST, as it is a measure of their spell-casting "power". Once they have gained additional levels, ST will help them expand the potency of the spells they know.

Intelligence (lQ). The ability to reason well is always an important consideration when combating a cunning foe. Wizards called upon to cast arcane spells in the heat of battle are particularly in need of great lQ so that they can recall the important aspects of their magics. Intelligence is also important for those that wish to learn new languages.

Luck (LK). Being at the right place at the right time, or swinging at precisely the right moment can sometimes make up the difference between life and death. From time to time you may encounter those who wish to play games of chance, and a high Luck will definitely be a bonus should you decide to play along.

Constitution (CON). No matter how strong, smart or lucky your character may be, he will be ill-prepared for adventure if his Constitution falls too low. This attribute is a general measure of health, endurance, and wakefulness. If you are poisoned, trapped, or injured in combat, points are subtracted from CON. Death is immediate once these points reach zero.

Dexterity (DEX). Accidentally tripping traps while trying to pick a lock can quickly ruin a Rogue's day. Dexterity is very important when your character wishes to open doors, cast spells, or aim missile weapons.

Charisma (CHR). During negotiations with monsters, men, and demons, the character with the highest CHR will always lead. Attractiveness, charm, and leadership ability are all measured by this attribute.

Speed (SPD). A well-timed dodge between your enemies, or an artful leap sideways can often mean saving your hide. A high Speed will bring up shields more quickly when swords hiss through the air and give the character an extra edge while they are running from unconquerable odds. This attribute also determines who attacks first in combat.

I guess that's it. You might have noticed something about learning new languages in the above quote from the manual. It is presumably a pretty important thing in the game, since there's an entire page in the manual devoted to what race speaks what language. Naturally, this might or might not show up in the actual game. I will quote the list of languages later anyway just in case, though.

Procras Tinazi, male ital elven wizard bent on his quest to exterminate all monsterkin and secure the existence of humanoid creatures :obviously:

Tigranes

Arcane
Tigranes, a Dwarf Warrior who's survived thus far not by any semblance of skill or bravery, but almost purely on luck and circumstance. Over time, he has begun to believe in his own infallibility, a boundless source of self-confidence that does wonders for wooing tavern wenches.

That is, all points in Luck and Charisma, and the rest as dump stats. (OK, you can put some in Strength I guess, whatever you think is necessary not to die every 5 seconds.)

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I can't believe it! You typed all 9000 screens of intro! It's the really exemplary act of bravery and persistence. :M
Fowyr Dimwit[ted]
Elf
male
Wizard
high IQ, St, Dex

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Hey, this game was on my to-play list too! :love:

Cappen Varra
Male Human
Rogue
Above average Luck / Dex / Cha, rest as rolled...

Arpad

Educated
Wasn't this the game where you could get your limbs cut and get some goblin prosthetics?

1. Erik Falk
2. Human
3. Male
4. Wizard
5. high IQ,St, lk
aspiring superman and nascent anarchist-

newcomer

Learned
1. Elodie Karling
2. Human
3. Female
4. Wizard
5. High IQ, ST, LUK (If this character is chosen, I am willing to change LUK to CHR to complement the team if needed)

A princess in exile, seeking revenge over the tentacle monsters which usurped her throne :smug:

And what's the 7th attribute? You only listed 6, Crooked Bee

newcomer

Learned
Btw Crooked Bee, can you post us the manuals after you choose the teams? Never played this kind of game before

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Aw, guess I'll have to hope for lots of death. I'm late to the party :(

Ulminati Angrybro
Dwarf
Male
Warrior

Dump Cha, focus on str/con

grotsnik

Arcane
Looks like you have more than enough recruits, but seeing as wizards and warriors are dominating, grotface the male Hobbit rogue, charismatic but remarkably stupid, is ready to step into the breach should deaths occur. :salute:

Luzur

Good Sir
dont forget to buy 5 lengths of rope and when you feel a pickpocket attack him then accept the duel.

also dont bother with the sewers under first town.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Sorry grotsnik, the party was already created before you volunteered. :( And thanks for the tips, Luzur. I'd rather explore everything anyway, though, even the sewers.

Okay, let's see what we have here. The manual recommends I diversify the party, so I'm gonna start from that.

Surprisingly enough, newcomer was the only one to submit a female character, meaning Elodie Karling is definitely in. However, a Human Wizard to bound to be less powerful than an Elven one, and there were two of the latter submitted, so I let the roll of a d6 decide between them, which results in procrastinator 's Procraz Tinazi joining the party. With two Wizardrs already in, I definitely need a Rogue and a Warrior. There was only one Hobb Rogue submitted [ed.: this was before grotsnik's submission, obv.], hoverdog 's Janurz Kurwin, so I let him join for the sake of both efficiency and diversity (no Hobb in the party yet) -- sorry CappenVarra. Finally, I have to choose from 4 Dwarven Warriors, so I leave that to chance and a d12 rolls tells me Azira 's Az Ira is going to be our party's tank.

With that, I think we're ready to go. The game might think otherwise, though. So if I ever run into a dead end and have to restart, I'll choose from the recruits who haven't made it in this time.

==========================

00tt_0029.png

Fresh off the farm, a motley band of adventurers gather together in the marketplace of the city of Gull on the tropical island of Phoron.

elodie.png
Hey, my hair may be a mess, but gosh, "fresh off the farm"? This is going too far!

00tt_0023.png

Elodie Karling is a princess. Or rather she was until recently, when the multi-headed monsterkin killed her elderly father and usurped the throne which was soon to be rightfully hers. True or not, rumors claimed Lerotra'hh had been secretly encouraging monsterkind's growing ambition, and Elodie certainly believed the Death Empress was to blame -- after all, indulgence is often the worst of crimes. Brought up as a true princess, arrogant and cold-hearted, Elodie was no less vindictive than she was ambitious. The moment the disaster struck, she knew she would have her revenge, and her kingdom back. Elodie's penchant for magic helped her escape the prison she had been put in, but was not enough to allow her to confront the monsters on her own. Forced into exile, Elodie resolved to grow in power by all means possible in order to exact revenge on both monsterkind at large and Lerotra'hh, a half-orc herself, in particular. On her way to Phoron, where she hoped to find equipment, clues and allies, Elodie joined forces with the unlikely band of adventurers who are now standing beside her and who she keeps trying to order around, with mixed results.

As a human, Elodie's attributes are all-around solid. Her good looks and upbringing would normally make her extremely charismatic, but her arrogant attitude somewhat diminishes her charm. She is, however, quick, intelligent and strong, and generally one to be reckoned with.

Elodie likes: power and all things shixy and luxurious.
Elodie dislikes: cold and the whole "ex-princess" thing.

janurz.png
Just admit it, ex-princess: an adventurer like you is no better than a farmer. Look at the company you keep: a dimwit Dwarf, an Elven weirdo, and myself, a Hobb and a thief and piss poor to boot. Were you still a princess, you would have nothing to do with the likes of us.

00tt_0022.png

Janurz Kurwin is a thief - a common occupation among the Hobbs. Agile and resilient at once, his people compensate their relative lack of strength, charisma or aptitude for studies with dexterity and quickness of movement, as well as a few simple spells that the Hobbs can cast to assist their natural talent. You can never tell a Hobb is around unless he wants to show himself, and Janurz is no exception. Some say he secretly belongs to the Hobb nationalist movement, popular among his people and wary of human- and monsterkind alike, but Janurz himself cheerfully denies that, claiming he has no axe to grind with humans or the monsterkin, but is simply on the lookout for whatever adventure might come his way, the more dangerous the better. He is, however, suspiciously attracted to everything connected to Lerotra'hh's name, for reasons that remain unclear. Unfortunately for him, he isn't the luckiest Hobb alive, but as he likes to say, waiting for luck is the same as waiting for death, and he hopes to set his luck straight during his adventures anyway.

Janurz likes: risk and picking pockets.
Janurz dislikes: being stuck in one place for too long.

In T&T, Hobbs get a x2 racial bonus to CON, a x3/2 bonus to DEX, and a x1/2 Strength penalty.

azira.png
Hey, who did you just call a dimwit? You may be a bit quicker than me, Hobb, but don't forget I can smash you into a pulp with my bare hands.

00tt_0020.png

Az Ira is a Dwarven Warrior, as stereotypical as they get. The least charismatic and intelligent of the entire expedition, he's twice as strong as any human and as resilient -- and even almost as quick -- as any Hobb. His clan raided by the monsterkin and his wife and children killed, Az's reasons to hate Lerotra'hh and her "monster-friendly" politics are plain but strong, only equaled by his love of beer and spilling monster blood. Rash to act, he's frightened many an innkeeper with his quick temper and the unfortunate habit of initiating all kinds of tavern brawls, or "challenges" as he calls them. In his rare moments of sobriety, he claims to only drink and brawl "in order to forget". But whatever the truth behind his habits, destruction seems to follow Az whenever he goes, which makes him an invaluable asset to the party, even if a little bit of a nuisance to keep around.

Az likes: fistfights and cheap beer.
Az dislikes: when there are no monsters around to fight.

Dwarves in T&T have x2 modifiers to their ST and CON, and a x2/3 penalty to their CHR.

procras.png
Calm down, you two, and stop disrupting the flow of my thoughts with your childish quarrels.

00tt_0026.png

Procras Tinazi is a young Elf belonging to the Elven Order of Magic, an organization as secretive as it is ominous in the eyes of plain folk. Characterized by him as "purely scientific", his interest is in bringing back Khazan and studying the legends and magicks surrounding him, not in Lerotra'hh petty plans. Detached and intelligent as only Elves can be, and believing in neither faithfulness nor mercy, Procras only trudges along because it suits him, not because he cares, his allegiance to the party being, as he puts it, "but a temporary measure". Elves have their own, slower way with time, though, so who knows how long he might in fact stick around. He can also be extremely charismatic when he wants to, usually to gain advantage or deceive, and is surprisingly strong despite his pale looks and frail constitution.

T&T gives Elves a x3/2 bonus to IQ and DEX, a x2 bonus to CHR, and a x2/3 penalty to CON.

Procras likes: everything related to magic and knowledge.
Procras dislikes: noise and too much talk.

Next time we'll poke around Gull...

azira.png
You know evil's afoot when you arrive on a tropical island not just for wine and women.

...so stay tuned. First proper update coming in a couple of days.

newcomer

Learned
Oh god... the youngest person is the party is 30 years old...
Is the age rolled too btw? I expected something like 16 :( (but really, don't go into trouble rolling again)

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
:salute: Will monitor this LP with great interest!

Haven't been exposed to the T&T universe yet. So far it appears to be pretty much common, generic fantasy stuff. Though on Wikipedia the inventor is quoted saying:
Ken St. Andre said:
my conception of the T&T world was based on The Lord of The Rings as it would have been done by Marvel Comics in 1974 with Conan, Elric, the Gray Mouser and a host of badguys thrown in.
Sounds promising :D

One major complaint though: Az Ira is only 39 - That's like toddler age for Dwarfs! Something doesn't quite add up there. Any dwarven parent with some common sense wouldn't let him leave the mountain fortress, yet alone go adventuring :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom