Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's stumble through tunnels and on trolls! [Tunnels & Trolls: Crusaders of Khazan LP]

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
And -- surprisingly enough -- we're back! This is a really short update in which we wrap up our business in the City of Gull.

5: Of nets and werebeasts

There is a dark area next to where we just defeated the orcs so we light one of our lanterns with oilskin before proceeding.

A fight ensues but it's trivially easy and the basement-dwelling orcs are quickly put down.

Sure, why not.

...and we're back in the sewers again. Should've seen that coming, what with the stench and all.

Oh well, let's take this opportunity and gain some more levels for Janurz by save-scumming through the devil's game.

Janurz hits level 9 and I believe that's enough. We could've grinded up the other party members too but I'm too lazy to do that.

Ah the choices and consequences!

Thankfully we make it to the surface without mishap this time.

Another activity we can engage in in the City of Gull is challenging the Netmaster.

You glimpse a hardened veteran warrior on the far side of the barrier. He moves with a remarkably springy stride, making you wonder what it is he's actually walking on... no one walks like that normally.

Do you step forward to challenge the Netmaster's abilities?

Sure we do. We send Az to deal with him.

Az is conducted into the Netmaster arena: a large atmphitheater with an unusual "floor:" a great net made of stout, springy cord. Beneath the net, about 15' down, are a great many sharp, poison-tainted spikes.

:eek:

The Netmaster bounces lightly on the ropes; he's obviously very familiar with how to move swiftly and safely over the net. He smiles wickedly as the fight begins...!

So, I believe the idea is that if you aren't agile enough you'll fall down and get killed or at least heavily poisoned.

Thankfully this fight is exploitable too: in order not to fall down on the poisonous spikes, we must... just stay in one place. :P

The Netmaster runs up to us himself and is easily killed by Az. :M

Brutal stuff.

At the end of the seawall, we come across some kind of obviously not-very-legal cargo.

If I had to name one really overpowered spell that'd be Hidey Hole :P

We read the manifest first.

The manifest is for the Khazani Arena Imports Ltd. The scribe was using the briefest terms to note the delivery of 1 werebeast and 2 monsters, plus one crate of work boots.

It's monster contraband!

So, two of these crates contain monsters and the third one has some work boots.

Let's start with Crate A.

Do we?

We do -- and the (were)bear changes to his human form. (He would've attacked us instead if we hadn't offered him water.)

"Ryat bless you and Khazan watch you! I didn't have the strength to change," he says. "I am being sent to fight in the Arena of Khazan, but I may never make it. For your kindness, I'll pass along something important: On Garr, give them their profit up front, or you'll pay it in gouging on the other end."

A clue! I hope it really is important.

Next, Crate B contains some heavy boots:

There are a few dusty boots here. Do you take them?

That means Crate C contains the 2 monsters -- so we leave it be.

On our way back to the marketplace we receive another hint from the storyteller: "The handless may seek the Tomb of the Hand/Gauntlet".

As you know, characters can lose their hands and/or feet in Tunnels and Trolls. Looks like there may be puzzles connected to that!

Beggars also give hints:

Dunno what that's supposed to mean, but maybe we'll find out in due time.

We go to some shops and buy/sell some stuff --

-- and finally it's time to hit the road!

Many unique encounters and deaths by fuuuuuuu await us there, I can promise you that.

P.S. Case in point:

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Man this game certainly does seem fuckhueg. I think that's the second biggest starting town I've seen in a CRPG, right behind BGII. And we've still gotten an entire world to explore? :greatjob:

In the screenshot above, Hinson Jimson, language teacher, has just taught Procras Orcish.

aNnOF9B.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom