Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's succeed at RimWorld!

Andnjord

Arcane
And here I was hoping you'd go with that Jonathan Sage guy. That would have been hilarious :D

ValeVelKal

Arcane
And here I was hoping you'd go with that Jonathan Sage guy. That would have been hilarious :D
You are right. I should have done that, especially since the two other person assigned to the team of 3 were the ones I kept.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Aprimay, Year 1

The first day after the crash starts strong, with Tindrli waking up at 4 in the morning to cut some trees in a manly manner:

gkiLoTb.png

This impresses ValeVelKal a lot, and she tried to make a pass at our manly lumberjack. But Tindrli is not sure yet :

OlnkaYJ.png

ValeVelKal realized that Tindrli liked gambling (and true crime stories), so like in any good rom-com she asked her older daughter to explain her gambling :

s1k9uUA.png

This non Bechdel-test compliant rom-com suddenly changed genre when the colony was attacked...

JBhYp30.png

... by a naked guy with a club.

Tindrli, or should I say, Tinderly took his manly rifle. Comtesse took her knife.

As the guy approached, Tindrli shot the dude several times, but we all know that bullet wounds typically don't stop crazy naked dudes with a club :

O9kECKV.png

So Comtesse stabbed him in the face, killing him instantly :

Ou73FKg.png

This small event behind solved in a few hours, the group finished the diner room, and a small extra room that was meant as a potential prison if the crazy dude with a club had been captured.

29kCOY7.png

The next endeavor would be more ambitious : a kitchen-with-cold-storage building, not in wood but this time in steel to avoid seeing all the food go in smoke in case of fire.

Steel was mined :

yydDAJw.png

A space for the generator was dug, next to the store room :

33VwO1q.png

And quickly enough enough, the kitchen-with-cold-storage unit was built and operational, with butcher table and cooking workstation. And lighting.

x5GsR5V.png

Coincidence ? Every female smiled with contentment !

XV3JH9P.png

This rom-com might not be Bechdel compliant, but it looks like it is Hays code compliant. Except for that crazy naked dude with a club. This was probably a later edit.

At this point, some merchants visited our tiny but thriving community. We buy two parkas in preparation for winter

uN89FY6.png

UffUlY9.png

Our story carries on looking like it was written in the 50ies. Tindrli treats ValeVelKal like shit. ValeVelKal immediately falls into the manly arms of Tindrli :

orx1eVx.png

They now sleep in the same bed. But light is off because Hays Code :

2temoLx.png

Next we work at making the whole place a bit prettier by adding floor everywhere :
- Wooden floor in the sleeping and living room
- Concrete in the cold room
- Nice paved tiles in the kitchen.
As you can see, I also add some distraction in the living room :

YFsu2PU.png

As I put some light in the bedroom of our new couple, and since well they are in love, we can't have a Rom-Com following the Hays Code anymore, so suddenly the whole game is pivoted to...

... comedy.

eMK6Qa1.png

Well, Yes, we can certainly help you against this, err, "maneating racoon".

Pressure is now tantamount...

iF1VnEY.png

... and Tindrli kills the racoon by spending just one manly bullet. Comtesse did not have to do her stabbing-in-the-face trick this time.

EF3F5QD.png

Brave Brave Brave Sir Robin is sent away in a shuttle :

Anwbx8A.png

Comtesse, as the only social person of the community, receives a fancy title and a fancy item :

iF1VnEY.png

This is now the end of Aprimay . I added two extra bedroom for future "visitors", and expanded a bit the room of Comtesse, fitting with her new title. I am also adding the finishing touches to a stonecutter workstation nextx to the living room :

6pktFws.png

it is time to pick a name for our community, and for our faction.

For the faction, the choice is obvious. For the tiny village we are building, I choose something more personal :

cnPeZtx.png

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I started playing Rimworld yesterday evening, just to try to remember what each of the buttons do. And next thing I knew it was 4:30 am...

Andnjord

Arcane
You got me laughing out loud quite a few times there Vale, awesome job! :bro:

Also

JBhYp30.png

Attacked by a penitent tortured artist from "The Kinship of Care", really? What's next, the Sisterhood of Love? :lol:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Julaugust, Year 1

The month was started with the sudden realisation that the "storage room" was actually not a storage room and that it was considered outdoor by lack of doors.

rbt7pbF.png

So doors were added, in particular two doors in each corridor to the generator room, which was the most precious item in the whole village :

Ml3znIT.png

Another design mistake was fixed : the stonecutting room was too far from the storage room, forcing ValeVelKal to carry heavy stones from one part of the settlement to the other. This was fixed by adding a specific stone storage room :

rJuFHxm.png

ValeVelKal likes neither clowns nor engineers. ValeVelKal doesn't like a lot of people, except manly men like Tinderli...

Nd2wjes.png

... and since we are now in a Comedy show, the lovers can consume their relationsip :

tNMfXmR.png

Comtesse starts planting potatoes and more critically, weed. ValeVelKal jumps in to help her :

lWMjML9.png

Not showed : stronger stuff than smokeleaves are being cultivated further South.

But this bonding moment does not last ! The community is under assault. Last time it was a wild racoon, this time "they" increased the ante - a wild alpaca is attacking.

LptbISO.png

As you know, I am a wargamer, so I immediately deploy my force strategically :

0fCci0N.png

... but the enemy progresses toward my rifleman under cover of the mountain, not allowing my rifleman a clean shot. In addition, the quickness of the assault surprises me before I can fully deploy my forces :

aHSv19p.png

The unexpected happens ! My rifleman is broken.

9wZBOQi.png

I prefer not to comment this image :

2XL8IqE.png

But great generals ALWAYS have a plan B ! The knifewoman company comes to the rescue. Comtesse stabs the alpaca in the face, killing him immediately :

sUip8hf.png

Today we dominated. But tomorrow "they" will attack again. Barricades are built in the corners of the settlement, to better protect in case of future attacks :

ZocYIWo.png

... and they immediately prove their utility. There is little respite, and we are attacked again. Not by one animal this time, but by a pack of man-eating monstrosities...

K4iPzmP.png

... ducks !

A wind of panic breezes through the settlement, as we are attacked by no less than TWO man-eating ducks !

fd8mKcY.png

The enemy split tactically in two forces. One force, composed of one duck, will attack me from the North North West, while the other force, composed of one duck, will try to flank us by the West North West

yLR5YKV.png

But the avian enemy poorly coordinated its two-pronged attack, leaving an opening for my force to defeat them in details. The West North West force is defeated first :

pwSwJwJ.png

... allowing me to turn all my firepower toward the North North West force, destroying it under concentrated fire.

WVtuUFe.png

baud Comte I realize you don't have much experience with RimWorld that's why I get so much into the details of my strategy and tactics, and also on the execution of my plan, so you can learn from me and apply it as well when you will be attacked. This applies to you as well tindrli .I could not help but notice that you lost that APC stupidly in Firefight.

Sadly, those ducks have scaria, which means they are rotten and not edible. I mean, they could certainly if one of the characters was a Frenchman or a Frenchwoman, but it is not the case.

BfsgOIA.png

The threat eliminated, the community goes back to improving their settlement : a second generator is necessary :

zqkIuxd.png

This allow us to build an electrical tailor workstation, allowing us to build a third and fourth parka for the coming winter :

rXiAtoE.png

Sadly, starting from that moment (roughtly the 7th), Comtesse will start to feel pretty bad about the whole ordeal and spend her time in & out of the "minor break risk" status :

Hl3VFCk.png

Reasons : Too hot, too ugly, her mother is having loud sex on the other side of the wall AND she need her pot.

The settlement had reached a sort of plateau, when we received some excellent news :

3qysmYo.png

That's a YES.

"Poopy" is exactly what we needed : a scientist and an artist that actually likes leaving in horrible conditions and certainly don't want to dope we don't have :

663MG0C.png

The extra bedroom is converted in a makeshift research lab and Poopy writes what he knows about "smithing" :

StCril9.png

Not much to report in the next days, except that a flashfire burned a large part of the stone structure West of our settlement (and burned a bit of Tindrli, too, without any consequences) :

M78jjw7.png

With the fire as a warning call, the citizens build tiles between the buildings, to stop potential fires from spreaking from one building to another :

QKztodd.png

The crops are also separated by stone fire barrier. The pot in particular is protected against a potential initiative from Poopy.

But Poopy does not care. Poopy is working on ART :

ta63229.png

While the piece of art is not historically accurate (Comtesse never wielded a rifle), it really pleased Comtesse - who, it should be reminded, REALLY likes firearm - and she puts it in her room. It really ties that room together !

nNUaVsS.png

This done, Poopy explains "smithing" to the community and moves to more complex stuff :

cmZyjOf.png

Poopy would leave shortly thereafter, and told everyone how happy he was being put in an ugly bedroom and forced to work for the whole duration of his stay : 70 average contentment !

OUyu0xr.png

This makes Primordia the focus of all sorts of attention :

- Presents from the sky - hyperweave (cool) and nutrient paste (... well OK)
- An offer of sort :

M86G8cI.png

Totally something Comtesse would do. And hopefully we can improve her room while she is away ! See you soon, Comtesse. We will miss you. And ValeVelKal and Tindrly will finally be able to do some wild stuff together.

- ... and a new inhabitant - the 18 years old but eager to please Johannes.

VUFOP9X.png

I am not quite sure the prude Johannes selected the correct ascetic and teetotaling kibbutz, but I guess he will be useful in poorly doing a lot of different stuff.

This is our settlement as Septober opens

DgFWlqj.png

But some threat are looming over it :

One is ancient and evil. Do NOT open those walls !
f9J9eos.png

and one is immediate and requires your attention :

J3PSgn9.png

Johannes , tindrli and ValeVelKal debate together : should they risk it ?

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Awesome :lol::lol::lol:

But wait, the local lord litteraly calls himself Anarchist and we are fighitng the Kinship of Care? Are we sure we are the good guys here?
I had missed that.

WELL, maybe we are in an Ukraine-under-Makhno situation, and the "Kinship of Care" are the local Mennonites ?

Keep in mind we are a group of junkie-without-junk at the moment.

Andnjord

Arcane
we are in an Ukraine-under-Makhno situation
Well that wouldn't end well for us now, would it?:negative:

Also god bless AGEOD's Revolution Under Siege, I doubt I would have remembered who you were refering to otherwise. I still have nightmares of that fucker running wild in my backlines :argh:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Year 1, beginning of Septober

So we welcome Johannes, our ascetic teetolar in our pleasure-driven (but pleasure deprived) community.

A quick conversation with Tindrli about "recreation", or lack thereof, quickly convinces Johannes that his favorite character in the group is the dog, Couscous.

98g5mvX.png

The relation between Johannes and Couscous deepens, while Johannes goes out of his way to avoid any risky topic with the humans :

30luy3Q.png

Johannes would even build a small protection against the rain for Couscous (bottom left), and store some kibbles. Unfortunately, the kibbles would rot, and ValeVelKal wants the dog inside

Kbwh1vd.png

Johannes would therefore build a small kibble storage room in ValeVelKal and Tindrli's room :

HrYYAti.png

[I am putting this here so my successor are not too surprise by some of the stuff they find :) ]

Meanwhile, the thriving community success at welcoming guests increased its popularity, and we keep receiving all sorts of offer :

This one is an hard NO :

zARPXCs.png

... and this one is a YES.

yc4SfdI.png

For someone as famous as Veronika Sheppard, who as you all know saved the galaxy from the reapers and more, we need some new nice accommodation :

And the group also accept this previous offer :

J3PSgn9.png

Suddenly, Tindrli and ValeVelKal tactical acumen is put to the test earlier than expected

Kqvhi3w.png

... this is fine. We will... wait...

KerN8vM.png

... this gets more complicated.

First thing first. The boomalope. It comes from the North West :

TVcUD6t.png

ValeVelKal and Tindrli move to meet the enemy. Tindrli hits the creature twice, including once in the leg, critically slowing it, but not stopping it. Soon, we get a view we should all be familiar with at this point :

NvbKVZp.png

Tindrli running away while a woman stands weirdly next to the enemy, not doing much.

The couple retreats North in order to drive the exploding beast away from the base. The plan is to bring the boomalope in the rocket area in the North, so the fire tirggered by its explosion can be contained easily...

GuTO0OY.png

... but Tindrli is trigger-happy and shoot a bit too early, blowing the boomalope in a quite green area not to far away from our base.

There is a fire starting, but no time to deal with it as one of the savage is coming from the West. Tindrli, ValeVelKal and Johannes wait for him in the kitchen :

oRNWSN3.png

Sadly, the door was left open, so the hostile tries to shoot with his bow through it - missing Johannes. ValeVelKal shoots back and hit the mofo. Tindrli cowers in a corner. Johannes, who has the club from the earlier "naked dude with a club", get closer and closer :

wprpwBp.png

mDJ0DCZ.png

until *WHACK*, Johannes one-clubs the dude.

LPn6nmj.png

Suddenly, new guy coming from the North, through the blazing inferno now running rampant :

uF0naEB.png

We are waiting for him in the recreation room, but the enemy takes cover from the wall we were building for Veronika, and starts shooting on Couscous, hitting him !

Ia9rAT0.png

This won't do ! Tindrli moves out and put himself in a position where he can shoot. ValeVelKal also moves out and empty a clip, missing the enemy. She decides to charge into melee, Johannes and his club in her tow

0tGCIM9.png

0guaKpc.png

and *WHACK* *WHACK*, Johannes clubs the dude dead. Two hits this time.

hcn3PYD.png

This time, ValeVelKal has been lightly bruised :

jGl6SKX.png

ValeVelKal goes to her room to put some cold water on her bruises, while Tindrli and Johannes are heading toward the third hostile now coming from the South :

JgUE71V.png

Tindrli shoots at the guy from behind an barricade, while Johannes waits in ambush with his trusty club :

ItwwiZZ.png

The dude is hit, but he carries on !

NE3kW4X.png

... until he reaches the entrance to the generator room, giving him a cover to shoot against Tindrli, who pathetically missed him as the guy passed a few meters from him :

JwXsC7k.png

But he does not stay there, and start entering 1st Street :

qEYlVnb.png

ValeVelKal grabs her pistol and get out.

The dude gets into the tailor / stonecutting room, and start to blow stuff up Minneapolis style :

WoogS8e.png

ValeVelKal shoots across the door, but she misses at point blank range.

Reinforcement arrives :

SoOwyZG.png

As you notice, this is now a parody action flick. Tindrli opens the door, takes a long aim...

... and miss.

Frustrated, Tindrli rushes inside the building to baionette the guy. Johannes follows with his club :

*WHACK* *WHACK*. Don't bring a bow to a club fight.

f7DYYT5.png

Overall, the situation is OK :

Johannes is slightly wounded :

QxzYrAP.png

Tindrli has a light cut :

AhgrqBa.png

We are good...

... hmm...

forgotting someone ... How is Couscous ?

d9awi3x.png

OH BOY ! OH MY LITTLE BOY !

gNZcTVu.png

ValeVelKal is sad, but Johannes lost his only friend.

Johannes would build a nice stone sarcophage for his only friend :

UQEVk1o.png

Well, at least we received a nice sculpture to compensate.

OjvrNQx.png

This quest finished, we received a new offer :

mdgf1dU.png

This is tempting of course. A new companion is always useful. But a EMP strike now would disrupt all my freezing chain, which means the freezer will be at ambiant temperature, which means the food would rot just before winter, which means everyone dies. Too risky. Typically the kind of gam-ending mistake. Not doing it. Nice try, Randy Rand...

FkELL4L.png

Cold Snap ? This changes everything. Free freezer. For everyone It just needs to hold 6 days or so...

... and due to this, we say hello to our new friend, Baud :

0wWFeam.png

She is ugly, she knows nothing of art, she can’t craft anything and generally has no marketable skill in a modern civilization but drop her in the jungle with her vagina and a knife and she gets out riding Bagheera and stabbing you in the face.

Also, she hates everyone's guts. It is going to be great.

Last edited:

tindrli

Arcane
im so proud of my self that im gonna to extra effort today at work.

And Baud seems to be perfect for our current situation. skills in ranged and melee and animal whisperer and also she can be a nurse i think. she can even mine in desperate... all good

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Year 1, end of Septober

So the arrival of Baud had a price :

EPV3W4m.png

Some dude thought it would be the perfect occasion to land in the general area :

ZOvLeV1.png

Wounded during an EMP blast and a cold snap.

Anyway, the guy would land not to far from the base, be rescued, and do absolutely nothing in all the following events except take one room and some food

D3054NM.png

Back to the rest of the colony, cold snap means the whole city is a gigantic freezer. Which is great for the food, not great for the humans. And due to EMP, heaters were not an option.

This meant giant bondfire in everyone's room. Which had wooden wall, wooden furniture, wooden floor and presumably wooden roof. What could go wrong ?

6RrfFGr.png

As you can see in the image above, Johannes's room had been allocated to that Elpos guy, and I installed Johannes in Comtesse room since she was still afraid. Finally, the research station had been emptied to replace by a bed for Baud...

I also finished the new house for our prospective tourist. You can see Baud testing the new bed :

TVD76Tq.png

We had a deadline, so we released the new house in Beta with the plan to add more furniture in an update :)

1XXGtpe.png

It is at this moment that Comtesse came back from her internship in being an useless noble, which means giving Johannes room back to Comtesse and moving Johannes moving with Baud. Johannes, has an ascetic, liked ugly rooms, and well, what few things make a room more ugly than an ugly person inside.

Ah, yes, something could make a room more ugly : a botched piece of furniture in the corner.

yHDVX1z.png

ROOM YIELD MANAGEMENT, THE GAME !

Anyway, given Baud on her side is not ascetic, I just hope the two of them can cohabite peacefully and respect each other spa...

NfBZIef.png

Oh well. You do you, Johannes.

Suddenly, mixed news :

jvMRpD5.png

So people would not have the choice being not-freezing to death during the night and being OSHA-compliant, but I also meant the food would go to spoil FAST because we still had 5 days or so of EMP.

The only solution I found was to convert all the fresh meat I had into meals, which were slightly more resistant to rooting. Sadly, the cooking table was electrical, so I had to build a new one.

bDO0ka2.png

Tindrli and ValeVelKal would then engage in the cooking competition of "who can cook the fastest, damn the quality"

uw3RZsN.png

I hope everyone like their food undercooked, overcooked, not salted, too salted or in general pretty terrible.

They were at it well into the night ...

LMxbLNq.png

... and the following day was wedding day !

It started with the cocktail, and the unescapable small talks :

zZfQR2m.png

Comtesse is being low-key mean to Baud ^^.

And then the exchanges of the vows :

m2HUnvv.png

After the wedding, Tindrli went hunting South. The rest of the crew was cleaning up when this happened :

wH93FL6.png

Basically this :

beelzebub_small.jpg
beelzebub_small.jpg

They came from the North,

rveC75l.png

Tindrli who was hunting in the South could not come in time to help, so the defense was initially Comtesse and her knife, and ValeVelKal and her pistol.

j6NfYJV.png

ValeVelKal can't hit the goat, and soon she is overrun by the enemy charge :

41RdOu9.png

... until Comtesse gives one of her good old stab in the face :

EDVD6Dt.png

This leaves the second goat, that went through the kitchen and attacked Johannes :

IYGFJ4A.png

"WHACK" "WHACK" "WHACK" "WHACK" "WHACK" "WHACK" "WHACK" "WHACK"

This time, Johannes trusty club is failing him, but Tindrli finally came back and shot the animal - a quite nice shot from maximum range, above a barricade, hitting a target engaged in melee :

XNobpSt.png

Johannes got somehow bit on the eye :

If7oZgI.png

That's all for our adventures of Septober.

We received a very interesting proposition, that we immediately accepted - I am not even sure in exchange of what :

SjkOW5O.png

... and another proposition to turn our village into an AirBnB site :

npmQ7AK.png

This is the situation the first day of winter.

kuKPzyW.png

The new building in stone in the North-West is where we are going to stockpile fur, clothes and similar. I feel stone is necessary as those burn a bit too well.

So yeah, nothing incredibly fun or interesting in the last 8 days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom