Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's succeed at RimWorld!

ValeVelKal

Arcane
So I finished my save. I just have to post winter, which was... eventful.

tindrli You confirm you take the save ?
Johannes : If tindrli defects, would you take it ?

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Year 1, Decembary

So - small erratum. Remember this quest ?

SjkOW5O.png

I had not accepted it yet. I did it first day of Decembary (in exchange of medecine). This means that the weather is going to be locked to "fog". Seems minor. It will be critical :).

With the winter days, wild meat is getting rare, so we extend our "targetting" to boomrats. It is winter, it is not like there will be huge fire, and they are easy to kill :

v3a6vcG.png

They are pretty easy to kill, too, and you can snatch the carcass before it burns. Here you see Baud doing exactly that with ease :

eBdLAjc.png

Easy peasy.

You can also notice above that I left a grizzly bear in "try to tame". I wanted to check if it was within the threshold of skill of Baud.

Anyway, this is all fine, until the colony realizes that they are a LOT of light during the night...

OTUflP4.png

... that's the boomrat. The fire is getting close to a place where we just cut wood, so every one is waken up in the middle of the night to save the wood.

Fh9DmwO.png

Oh well, maybe killing the boomrats was not a good idea. Those fire would most probably abate overtime, so fine.

In the South-East, there is a warg (the only real dangerous predator in the area with the grizzly), and I want to get rid of it, especially since it killed two wild horses I want to bring home.

aaVgPqb.png

Weird. There is a big fire here as well...

Scanning the map, there is also a large fire North-West, and another smaller one North of the settlement, plus some sporadic fire directly East.

yVVIdZa.png

Did I mention the large fire in the West ? Well, here it is :

5xIz5sb.png

What seems to have happened in that in general, boomrat and boomtilopes fires are quickly put down by an eventual rain, but with the forced fog weather, there is no such thing as rain, and so nothing to stop the fire which would eventually burn through 80% of the map.

Happily enough, the way the settlement has been built means fire never really reach the houses. This was the closest it ever got :

pxrE2Ih.png

While I am putting down that dire, I received a quite surprising news :

hNLBMS3.png

6fjFwnF.png

I don't want to give names, but SOMEONE, SOMEONE, forget to remove the "tame : grizzly" order.

Without surprise :

mbxErds.png

The grizzly now moving to the settlement, everyone is mobilized, even if they have large burns on their hands :

Ul25J5a.png

The grizzly is welcomed by a deluge of fire. He is hit once.

5jpIga1.png

The group is charged by the beast and scatters :

ydtBZr4.png

Everyone now is now shotting at, clubing or shiving the bear. Eventually, the monster is slain by a final "stab in the face" from Comtesse., though honestly this was preceded by several non-final stabs-in-the-face, a few bullets in the stomach and the necks and general clubbing.

bpjyp05.png

It is now time to save Baud before she either burn to death or bleed to death. ValeVelKal races to the rescue, though some may notice she is not going as fast as she could :

lEbdlhE.png

ValeVelKal manages to bring the bleeding Baud back in a bed for further tending :

xwa771q.png

... and there, she dies.

n4fDXT9.png

For all her life as a savage adventurer, only relying on their range and melee skill, Baud died in her bed. Well, not HER bed, but a bed nonetheless.

With the exception of Johannes, everyone is actually more happy than sad with Baud's death. She was THAT ugly :

hfuRhU6.png

"Her death was sad, but Couscous' death was the real tragedy here." - ValeVelKal

So Johannes would be alone in building a sarcophagus fitting Baud's short career :

a3l7qHK.png

"Let's remember her for killing animals whose killing almost made the whole settlement burn to ashes"
- Johannes

Before the news of Baud's death gets too public, the community decides to accept the second tourist :

fueJhq9.png

rSGcSiH.png

Nudist pyro in winter. Exactly what we need.

You can see his nice room here :

9t7qF8B.png

And here is a more general view of Primordia by the middle of Decembary :

0FAZdim.png

Not much happened until the end 13of decembary :

There would be a small expansion in the South-East to create more room :

PMV3qks.png

An "accidental" fire in the stoneworking room was quickly put down :

mCAWkmj.png

And we started the production of, err, "special cigarets :

qIL4Dmn.png

On the 13th, our first tourist finally left us :

RZRpX47.png

... and we received this masterwork weapon which was immediately seized by Tindrli. It would be made hunting less sneaky (short range = animals more likely to become crazy) but well, more efficient too :)

vZ4wPkn.png

By the 13th, wildlife starts to reappear in the area, and they gather in the only place that has not been burnt to the ground : the immediate outskirts of the settlement :

7pdPr8c.png

Yes, after developing a AirBnN service, we move to home delivery (but you have to slaughter and cook yourself).

... though we got less savory visitors :

x70mA9b.png

Quite literally this :

GwebSL4.png
GwebSL4.png

Of course, having everything to the ground means that the wolves approach with absolutely no cover. Against ranged weapons :

vVHPgdL.png

The first one is mowed down by Tindrli :

FPwKhXU.png

The second one manage to reach melee ....

lHnppBH.png

WHACK

... but Johannes get rid of it before Comtesse can even stab it in the face.

0Uo2Jrk.png

Got only one minor bite for Tindrli. Easy

Everyone gets back to their activity, which means hunting with a SMG for Tindrli...

SYx3m5T.png

UPS ! Not good !

That's FOUR crazy Muffalo charging straight at Tindrli !

Eaph828.png

Tindrli races to one of the empty cabin :

egswGK7.png

But he cannot close the door on time, and unlike Dungeon Master, closing door on enemies does not kill them. Because it is a very realistic game !

ypBhhz9.png

While ValeVelKal and Tindrli are engaged in desperate melee combat, trying to rifle or pistol butt a couple of space cows to death, the other muffalos are infiltrating into the settlement.

BxwiK86.png

We are heading straight toward any military tactician nightmare : urban combat, with house by house grenade-cleaning against presumably muffalo snipers and muffalo IEDs.

Imk9Cp4.png

... but me, ValeVelKal, am a master of tactical combats after years of playing wargames. If I could drive the French out of a train station in Firefight, and I can drive muffalos out of a town in RimWorld.

I start the cleaning-up by this superior tactical move : I am going to have Johannes flank one of the muffalo and attack it (please take notes) FROM HIS BACK :

0tpuQdq.png

One of the muffalo is thus neutralized, but muffalo High Command had left a muffalo force in reserve, and it is now charging straight at Johannes !

IYeHZnl.png

Here I will pull what is called a pro-wargamer move. It LOOKS like running away ...

dvvMWBA.png

.... and also "running the other way", as muffalo High Command is learning fast and is trying to pull the same "attack from both directions" as I did :

mD86alk.png

... but we pro-wargammers prefer to call that "tactical kiting" :

xmuZObk.png

Two more muffalos down. One left :

RhUn5Dn.png

It is quickly dispatched :

lJ8i9TM.png

There was a lot of panic, but the damage were actually fairly limited :

D4mk6lk.png

Nothing two days of bed rest won't solve.

It is the moment the Royal Tribute Collector choose to come back :

Fvix6ny.png

I am not sure he understood what happened, but I am pretty sure he thought he should rather try to collect tribute another year.

The attacks repulsed, Johannes could finish his research project :

oB1f7FV.png

Suddenly, this happens :

fuymYWN.png

JbKSwUH.png

After some debate given the lack of, well, real useful role the guy has, the community decided to save him as we need someone to keep the place clean . The dude was super happy.

ESjCOVo.png

Richard being a boring name, he was nicknamed "Azira ". Don't ask me why.

And it is the new year already. This is what I will leave to Johannes :

cgK9s8W.png

YEc7Qbu.png

There is also this mission he will be able to choose to accept or refuse :

ha6qaYd.png

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Quick Sleeper and Wimp, incapable of Violence and Cooking? :lol:

That's a far cry from the mad doctor I was in Grimwulf LPs.

I'll take anything though. At least I have decent medical skills, even if my only interest is "Social"...

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Great LP so far!

Count me in! I mean, as a name for a pawn.
Later on I might try to succeed with the game as well, but for now I don't have as much spare time as I'd like to.

Johannes

Arcane
Q0TdEtM.jpg

This is how it starts. New year, new tricks? Johannes, having been a member for a full half year now, finally gathers the guts to voice his concerns about the base - it's too spread out, too hard to defend, too flammable, of mediocre beauty, vulnerable to insects, not productive enough, and not fun enough. He believes he can streamline the place a lot, and improve the job distribution by making people more specialized. The others aren't all convinced yet, but together they decide to let him give it a try.

First on the agenda is making a properly grand dining room, with marble walls and everything. And placed next to the fridge and kitchen, to cut down on useless travel time of meal pickup. Then some more economic electricity sources could be next on the agenda. And of course, surrounding the base better with proper, impassable walls instead of plain barricades.

Also these funny closed buildings around here, what are they? But they'll have to wait until later in the year, most likely...

Johannes

Arcane
0VjTAuq.jpg

Some new construction, a new fancy living room (or a start of it). A shelf for food, and another for drugs. Also shown the geese from the quest that was shown before, the girl goose also lays some fertilized eggs. And some fresh plantings, with some random stone flooring that was there for some reason. Also making the stone blocks next to where the stones are, so the block maker doesnt have to run across the map all the time to pick up the stone chunks.

lh544Y5.jpg

And some new power source. With these and a battery, we don't have to waste wood to power our lamps n shit. The solars and the battery took some research, but now these should be enough eco friendly power for quite a while.

eeyXGzr.jpg

The perils of electricity, a fire breaks out as the batteries short-circuit... But fortunately it's quickly taken care of.

sEwkujM.jpg

As the rice gets its first harvest, we get the chance to tame some horses with it. First one immediately catches the corona, but it's not a serious disease - she will recover quite fast. Eventually the horses and donkeys we catch will be taught to haul, but that'll take a long time with our skill.

m0Z65bV.jpg

Tindrli is hunting some rhinoes, using the bolt-action rifle - the further you are, the less likely animals are to aggro. And you don't want angry rhinos if you can help it. Our guest Dues is there to guard in case that still happens, he can't do any work but he will fight - so he can shoot and distract the rhinos if needed.

zYcS0wU.jpg

A patch of drugs growing nearby is found. It'll take a while before they ripen, but when they do it'll be a nice boon.

7x6zqA0.jpg

Then, a bunch of barbarians appear. They're mostly trash at fighting, so shouldn't be too hard. But as Tindrli is hunting some rhinos just at this moment, I get an idea...

Vhr6mXL.jpg

I aggro the rhinos who are already quite wounded, they become maddened and chase after Tindrli. They're spilling blood all over the metal street tiling. Then we hide ourselves in the lounge, where also a nutrient paste dispenser has been added - no time wasted cooking now, though it gives a small mood malus. The rhinos circle the streets, the savages are taking a while to prepare so Tindrli decides to smoke a joint and decides to sleep on the floor to pass the time.

Somehow I missed taking screenshots from the actual battle, but it went well. They meet up with the rhinos, then when they're fighting each other our guys pop out and start shooting them also. Nobody sustains serious injuries, only light bruises from clubs or fists. None of the primitives escape, 4 die and 2 are taken captive.

IOe5TEh.jpg

The prisoners aren't that hot though, one is a weed addict and the other an alcoholic. The alcoholic one seems ok though, even if he's only 23 and already lost almost all his hair. Steadfast and kind, can construct, can learn to research, can do dumb chores, that's decent. Mostly kind is really good, since he will make the other colonists feel good about themselves. It'll be a while before he can be recruited, since he should go though his booze withdrawal first. The other one can be sold to slavery, organ harvested and made to a jacket, or just freed to gain favor with his tribe of moderate jihadists.

9OiWLId.jpg

CqTnzE2.jpg

And the geese we were caring for, have now done their time. We got some goodwill from the outlanders, and some eggs that will hatch into geese of our own, for basically no cost to us - they just ate grass, after all. As everybody knows birds love eating grass.

DRjgi2h.jpg

A bit of a hunting accident happens, a megasloth gets aggressive, as our hunting pair Tindrli and Dues back off and kite the beast, Azira wants to help by luring it into another direction - alas he trips or something and the wounded sloth catches and slashes him. One attack and the wimp is down. That's fine though, since it means he isn't hurt any further, and the hunters can avenge him with ease.

0JlEjJ8.jpg

The goose eggs hatch. Alas, they're all male - so no further eggs from them. Let them grow to full size then, and then butcher them, or alternatively use them as really weak melee distractions in a fight.
Also notice the tribals there, their whole tribe seems black. Except for the girl called White, of course. I built an extra wall inside the freezer to make a nice spot for human corpses, they can now benefit from the same cooling system as the rest of the freezer, but they're out of sight of people walking in, so they don't get bad mood from seeing dead people.

A new quest also comes available, a mysterious AI asks us to build a thing (screenshot taken later).
nLz1dkK.jpg

So we build it, and get a bombardment device in return.
aqznZ6N.jpg

It's a ridiculous thing, the big circle is its range, and the smaller circle is the radius where bombs will fall from the orbit when activated. That doesn't mean everything in the circle dies, the actual bombs that fall are smaller, but there'll be a bunch of them. Not everything in the circle will be hit, but you wouldn't want to be there. It's a one use device for a bad day.

Have to be careful about keeping the monument intact, though, since an EMI Dynamo popping up in the region would be a major nuisance - it'd shut down electronics until destroyed. Now we have to protect it for 40 days, before we can reuse the materials.

Q5QpAJL.jpg

A new quest is given also, but alas... I forget to accept it before it expires.

Y6gDdKl.jpg

Azira tries to hit on a married woman, to no avail

VgiZLpl.jpg

Nnc6AxU.jpg

And our longtime guest, Dues, finally leaves. His mood was decent during his stay so we get a minor relations boost to the outlanders faction. And now SmartCheetah joins - who will become a dedicated crafter. He's extra smart, and has burning passion for crafting, so he will be really good in short order. First task is to convert all these textiles into clothes. Some for wearing, and then for selling. Dusters give the best value per material, and are also easier to store than smaller items, so that's what he will be mostly making, after getting clothes for people to replace their tattered used ones.

u6m53cR.jpg

And as the cotton harvest has ripened, we can do some fun stuff - a pool table and a poker table. When made with stone, these things also take really long to make, but that's also a good thing. It's a good place to train your construction uninterrupted. Johannes will work on them every day until he reaches the 4000xp cap for fast learning a day, then he will research for the rest of the day, to max them gains.

And so the spring has turned to summer, and it's a nice summer day here also, so we'll see when the next installment arrives!

ValeVelKal

Arcane
You managed to research solar panels in 4 days ? Well, I should have focused research more than.

Any reason for pulling the concrete floor out of the freezer ?

Well, I guess those stocks of stone blocks came handy.

In any case, it looks like you did as much in one season that I did in four. I learned a few things I did not know as I did not play significantely RimWorld since beta, for instance that guests can still fight.

For the monument, are you free in how to build it or do the AI provides blueprints to you ?

For the stone stuff around the smokeleaf - it is because I really don't want a fire on one crop to quickly disseminate to all croops. It also explains the 2-tiles-wide steel floor in all streets.

Johannes

Arcane
[Any reason for pulling the concrete floor out of the freezer ?
Just wanted to see if it gives metal back, it doesn't. Since it doesn't really matter much if a freezer is floored or not, though it does speed movement so it's not totally useless.

For the monument, are you free in how to build it or do the AI provides blueprints to you ?
You get sent a blueprint, you can rotate it but the layout is set otherwise. You can choose what materials to use for what, still.

For the stone stuff around the smokeleaf - it is because I really don't want a fire on one crop to quickly disseminate to all croops. It also explains the 2-tiles-wide steel floor in all streets.
Floor doesn't help against fire any more than dirt, though dirt might grow some weeds in it that would be flammable. So I guess it helps, but not really enough to be worth doing imgo.

There's so much stuff - steel, stone, components - now just lying around, so it's quick to use it. Also changing up the work priorities a bit helps, now everyone's doing mostly one thing as their focus that they're good at, instead of running around on random tasks. Short researches like batteries and solars come fast, at least now that the guys have some research experience, but only if you prioritize them to doing it, otherwise they'll only research when there's nothing else to do. Though I've since forgotten what the exact priorities were regarding research before.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You get sent a blueprint, you can rotate it but the layout is set otherwise. You can choose what materials to use for what, still.

The size of the building seems to scale on the wealth of the colony. And sometime the blueprint is bugged and you can't finish building it, it happened to me yesterday :argh:.

Though thank you for the info that older monuments can be removed, I've got a pair that are taking some valuable real estate in the middle of my current colony.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Floor doesn't help against fire any more than dirt, though dirt might grow some weeds in it that would be flammable. So I guess it helps, but not really enough to be worth doing imgo.

Yeah the weed is the reason I do those stone path. But then I realized it was a lot of effort for not much.

Concrete in the freezer, or anywhere, also accelerate cleaning up stuff.

Johannes

Arcane
You mean it speeds the movement of the cleaner, or is cleaning speed too dependant on surface? I just know dirt can't get dirty, so you only need to clean blood etc. which makes for less work usually.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
You mean it speeds the movement of the cleaner, or is cleaning speed too dependant on surface? I just know dirt can't get dirty, so you only need to clean blood etc. which makes for less work usually.
Cleaning speed. But good point on dirt never being « dirty » the first place

Johannes

Arcane
And a bit of summer, then:

spRyIVU.jpg

dnVxn7C.jpg

ValeVelKal starts off with eating some raw strawberries and getting poisoned. They taste good, but there's the risk always - watch out for those berries men!
Then smokes a joint and passes out. Off to a great start.

p15rcKQ.jpg

Then an exotic trader caravan appears. They have a sweet archotech leg, but no way we can afford it... Even if we sold everything they're willing to buy, it still comes a bit short. A leg would be really good, since both Johannes and Tindrli really suffer for their legs, which cause them both pain and slow movement. Of course a top bionic like that would bring them to a next level even beyond a normal healthy leg. Really the problem is how the trader accepts so few things of ours to buy, if we could sell a few horses (there's a shitton now) or clothes (the dusters are pilin up) then it could be done.

So I must try some alternative ways. Remember those funny looking ruins on the map? Let's give opening one up a go...

kTCgGh8.jpg

9HHI0FO.jpg

Ok, that's not quite enough to liberate the caravan of their wares... But we did get the old-ass structure open and secured. Might as well do the same to the other one.
That's 2x techprints of Circadian influence on there. Kinda sad to have duplicates, especially when these things just give 10% of their usual worth when selling.

B1M9yvZ.jpg

But these guys act differently, they just stay in their crypt and chill. I used the same door trick on both places, first build a door there and only then deconstruct the wall, this gives you some time to run away from them. But these three don't want to leave their home unlike the previous ones which immediately broke the wall and gave chase. And if I tried to lure them with firing on them, they might get a lot of hits in to the guy doing it before he can escape. So if they want to chill there, ok, let them do that then.

Yet they'd be disturbed almost immediately afterwards...

FQSAn6s.jpg

What are the odds?

RVVFGk6.jpg

The mechanoids are promptly killed by the emerging insect infestation, they manage to just kill 2 small scarab-bugs. The rest I lure towards the caravaners...

WLMd1B6.jpg

At least I try...

t1s4ZVn.jpg

When they reach the base, instead of running to fight along the main street, they just scatter around to smash on furniture.

Which is annoying, but they don't luckily get to break anything, it just lets Tindrli snipe at them more freely one at a time. And some wander to be shot by the caravan.

nSexDSm.jpg

End result is that they're all dead and we got another ancient tomb cleared of their awake defenders.

RFSgd8i.jpg

Also one of the outlander traders is dead at the end of it. He was a wimp, so a single shot of friendly fire to the leg made him in, since he was already in pain from existing conditions. Wimps, like this guy or Azira, lose conciousness at a really low threshold of pain. And when a non-colonist pawn loses conciousness, they have a chance of insta-death even if the wound was not fatal. He took a bullet to the knee and suddenly couldn't breathe. Tragic, but it happens. RIP men.

Then the traders leave, in the end we did no trading. And Johannes goes off an an insulting spree due to lack of recreation, lack of sleep, due to running around opening crypts so busily in the night. Or sleeping in the heat. Or both. I forget now, anyway it was everyone elses fault.

zEX6nRm.jpg

In the prison cell some trouble breaks out, not for the first time either, though I didn't cover it before since beating wounded, possibly starving junkies is such a triviality usually. But here miss White had gotten into a bit better condition, and gave a ValeVelKal a run for her money. She won the fight and knocked White out, but lost a finger in the process.

JSS3XHW.jpg

Johannes's insulting spree comes to an end in a fistfight with SmartCheetah. Few blows are exchanged, before they notice this solar flare is the real villain here.

Thjmef4.jpg

Tindrli uses the animal neurotrainer found in the crypt, though he's had a ridiculous success at taming animals even before this. This not only makes taming and training animals easier, but also hunting safer.

7nW7QJ8.jpg

Next it's time for Azira to go on an insulting spree. Why? Mostly because he was insulted so harshly by Johannes before.

Also pictured is the ambrosia harvest being carried to freezer. Ambrosia has the annoying thing that it's a food also, but not controllable through the food menus - so there's no way to stop people from feeding it to your prisoners, except to forbid it from use.

59bjxEh.jpg

And another victim of the insult mood spiral. Comtesse starts a weed binge due to being insulted.

E0I4YmM.jpg

And another. ValeVelKal takes out the microaggressions she's been subjected to, out on a megasloth corpse, destroying it totally.

U8WHsnu.jpg

To calm the mood, Tindrli decides to hold a party.

zUqX9vd.jpg

Great idea, though Azira is still in a foul mood...

Also pictured a freshly arrived combat supplier.

vaQL88j.jpg

I sell some junk to get rid of it, but nothing much else to do with these guys right now. They don't have anything that'd be particularly cost effective at this time, and don't buy our dusters or joints.

Also played a bit around with equipping people with different clothes, they're not always so smart about it when you just use the "assign" menu... They drop their old shit right then and there, without necessarily putting on new stuff from the storage right away. Also moving production to the big empty room above the dining hall is in progress, but I'm not sure how to best manage it - and where to store the produce from the fields, since there will now be a lot of it, where to produce what, where to store what, and everyone getting pissed off about sleeping in the heat now that it's sometimes 30C+ summer weather... There's a lot of management to be done and it's a pain in the ass to think through.Hell, even the freezer's getting near to full! At least everyones mood is about steady again now, so some productive work can be done again to get on top of things.

Also on the agenda: opening the caskets in the crypts. I want to heat the rooms up so that anyone inside will pass out fast, without killing them. That way nobody dies even if they're aggressive, and they can be stripped and taken prisoner. But more work and research is needed to do that operation.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Use spoilers lah.
Haven't played Rimworld in a while.

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
Why my name isn't on the list? I've enlisted on the first page. Did motherland forget about me? :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom