Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's survive the Dark Earth (Embrace The Darkness)

Sòren

Arcane
Enjoying this, so far.

Your efforts are appreciated. more et cetera.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

It's dark, it's gritty, it's filthy, it's ugly.

Yes, it's another awesome chapter of the Dark Earth Saga !

Code:
Chapter 5 :

--.--|    o                   |   |                    ,---.|                            |
  |  |---..,---.,---.,---.    |---|,---..    ,,---.    |    |---.,---.,---.,---.,---.,---|
  |  |   |||   ||   |`---.    |   |,---| \  / |---'    |    |   |,---||   ||   ||---'|   |
  `  `   '``   '`---|`---'    `   '`---^  `'  `---'    `---'`   '`---^`   '`---|`---'`---'
                `---'                                                      `---'

Ok, now that the sunseers and guardians are out of the way, let's enter the council room again. On both sides of the wall we can see several murals. They give information about the various casts and past events. Lorefags will be pleased.

sc00481.jpg

arkham2.png
The engraving represents this chamber. This is where Lory and her advisors make their decisions.

sc00481a.jpg

arkham2.png
The initiates of the Sun God, Keepers of the faith. They guide us and protect us from heresy.

sc00484.jpg

arkham2.png
Serving the population of the Stallite day and night, offering protection, fire and light.

sc00486.jpg

arkham2.png
They built the Stallite the way the Sunseers told them to. They make everything: buildings, tools, furniture...

sc00492.jpg

arkham2.png
They live in the Lower City with the Scavengers. Fishing, hunting, planting crops. They feed the Stallite.

sc00492a.jpg

arkham2.png
People always say they're the lazy good-for-nothings of the Stallite. That all they know how to do is rummage through debris from Before and comb the muck for something to eat. But people who say that never met Danrys or Kalhi or the others...

sc00492b.jpg

arkham2.png
Maybe it's a statue, a relic from Before...

Hmm, it does look a bit like a spaceship. Nevermind, on the other side we can see :

sc00492c.jpg

arkham2.png
I always thought this monster was just a legend... After what's happened to me, I've changed my mind !

sc00492d.jpg

arkham2.png
They say the first men born under the light didn't live enough to see the sonstruction completed.

sc00492e.jpg

arkham2.png
Not a day went by without prayers imploring the Sun God to continue shining.

sc00492f.jpg

arkham2.png
It sends the Sun God's rays into the Darkness. It's the pride of the Sunseers.

Ok enough with the religious mambo-jumbo. Rylsadhar told us to meet him at the Archivist's and that's where we'll go.

sc00510.jpg

sc00512.jpg

sc00513.jpg

We're talking about one stone-cold Archivist.

arkham2.png
Uh... of me... What I mean is, maybe I startled you...

archivist.png
Do not be concerned about that, my young friend. It would take a lot more than you to frighten old Sesekhan.

arkham2.png
I'm Arkham son of Sunseer Rylsadhar.

archivist.png
You are the son of Rylsadhar ? Forgive me, but I am as blind as a Temple bat. I did not recognize you. And it has been many moons since you last came here.

Ah, that explains it.

arkham2.png
I'm supposed to meet my father here. Have you seen him ?

archivist.png
Ah, your father is a fine man. He often comes to see me. He is obsessed with mysteries of Before. He does a lot of research. He is very learned. Not like Sunseer Broguel, I pity his-

arkham2.png
Okay, okay. that's enough Have you seen my father or not ?

archivist.png
Eh? Your father ? Uh... Why, no, I haven't seen him since the Sun God rose today. Maybe he's praying in the Rahal Room. could that not be so ?

arkham2.png
Sesekhan, are you sure Rylsadhar hasn't come by? He was supposed to meet me here.

archivist.png
I am sure ! My poor eyes are no longer very keen, but I assure you, son of Rylsadhar, no one has come by.

Well, that's just great. Let's explore the archive room.

sc00549.jpg

The organization of our Stallite, Sparta, dates from the time of Thelen Khron. This came after construction of the Temple to the Sun God and the Great Square.

The Sunseers, initiated by the light of wisdom and messengers from the Sun God, welcomed into their newly-built city all of the Just who sought refuge there.

The Guardians of Fire, loyal servants of the Sun God, helped the Sunseers welcome, lodge, and protect the new arrivals.

The structures, from the finest to the most humble, were erected by the Builders. It was the famous Turkhan who planned the most resplendent of Sparta's spaces.

Men and women skilled in farming and hunting joined together to form the Providers.

And the many Scavengers -- old and young, men and women -- helped everyone make Sparta a haven of peace and light amid the Darkness...

And Arkham comes to the startling realization :

sc00559.jpg

No, dear Arkham, they aren't. But this isn't important. What is of interest though, is what lies next to the book...

sc00561.jpg

It has a clock-like lock. HMRMRMRM. We'll come back to that later...

Hey, what's this ?

sc00567.jpg

A CD-ROM !! (because the concept of DVDs and blurays didn't exist in 1996)

sc00568.jpg

And it doesn't have a label. Clearly the work of filthy pirates ! Apparently, people of the stone age found the same use for it as some women of today....

cdmir.jpg

Anyway, archivists are supposed to be knowledgeable. Let's see if our friend knows anything about this damn crypt...

sc00576.jpg

sc00578.jpg

arkham2.png
The Master Builder... And where would I find him?

archivist.png
In the Builders' Palace, next-door to the Great Temple. But I don't know if he will be there. He often goes down to the Lower City to supervise his work sites.

Well, thanks, but no thanks. The Builder's palace is locked and Bandor is nowhere to be found at this point. At least he might know something about the infection.

arkham2.png
Archivist, you're wise. Do you know what weird disease has infected me?

archivist.png
The Black Rot. Yes, I have heard of it. I am not a healer-Sunseer like Thanandar, but I know this is a dreadful illness. Who do you say is sick?

arkham2.png
Uh... a friend of mine. Do you know of a cure?

archivist.png
Alas, no. The healers have been seeking a cure for centuries. But no one has ever really been able to cure the Black Rot.

The Black Rot, what a fitting name. And no cure... fantastic !
We better leave. Maybe we should check the Rahal room as Sesekhan suggested.

sc00598.jpg

Hey, it's our good pal, Ketoun !

sc00599.jpg

arkham2.png
Sunseer, you've got to help me!

sunseerketoun.png
Great Solaar! The Darkness... the Darkness is within you!

arkham2.png
Sunseer, I really need your help! I was poisoned while I was saving Lory. But I'm still a Guardian of Fire, a faithful servant of the Sun God. Help explain to people that they shouldn't fear me!

sunseerketoun.png
No! You can't fool me! The symbol of the Sun God illuminates my face. My eyes pierce your dark lies! And through my lips, the Great Solaar himself speaks. If the Darkness has invaded you, it means you are no longer worthy of His light!

arkham2.png
What?!! I just saved Lory's life!

sunseerketoun.png
Your dark tricks won't work! hen she returns, the Great Sunseer will banish you from the Stallite! And if Provost Dhorkan doesn't want to suffer the same fate, he must unmask the heretics!

What a pompous hypocritic duche ! I think it's time to change our stance...

sc00624.jpg

sunseerketoun.png
If you try any tricks, the Sun God will strike you down!

Is that so ?
HERE'S A TRICK FOR YA !

sc00630.jpg

sc00630a.jpg

AAh, that felt good. One less fanatic to worry about. Let's get out in the open. Hey, it seems they finally managed to bring Zed's chariot up. Why would he want to bring it up here, is beyond me.

sc00640.jpg

Hmm...? there's also a guard her-

sc00641.jpg

:BANG:

sc00644.jpg

~~-=<> GAME OVER <>=-~~

Damn. These boomsticks are one-hit-kill.

Crowley9

Novice
People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but

Code:
Chapter 5 :

--.--|    o                   |   |                    ,---.|                            |
  |  |---..,---.,---.,---.    |---|,---..    ,,---.    |    |---.,---.,---.,---.,---.,---|
  |  |   |||   ||   |`---.    |   |,---| \  / |---'    |    |   |,---||   ||   ||---'|   |
  `  `   '``   '`---|`---'    `   '`---^  `'  `---'    `---'`   '`---^`   '`---|`---'`---'
                `---'                                                      `---'

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
You know at first I though of naming the chapter "The times they are a changin'" , but it was a bit long for a title.

wjw

Augur
I wonder if killing the fanatic will have alot of impact on the story... Not that he did not deserve to die...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Especially for this one, I don't think it will make any difference. No one saw me do it and afterwards nobody suspected me for this. (so far)

yaster

Liturgist
You're creature of darkness, no-one believes you even even when you done nothing wrong and yet you're not a suspect in case of murder? Hmm

Either way, what would happen if you talked with that old geezer and didn't kill him, would he get some help, etc?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
No he wouldn't actually call the guards. Killing him was basically a crime of passion. :smug:

I killed him because he doesn't seem important to the plot from now on. He actually disappears after that conversation, either way.

Lemon

Arcane
Awesome as always.

Looking forward to the next update.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Jehenna is approaching !

Along with another chapter, which I'll post shortly.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

In the previous chapter, at first we were like :

s01swordfight.jpg

But they were like :

s02gunfight.jpg

And then we were like:

s03loser.jpg
:rage:

Lesson learned. Caution is advised.

Code:
Chapter 6 :

,-.-.          |    o     |        |              
| | |,---.,---.|--- .,---.|        |    ,---.. . .
| | |,---||    |    |,---||        |    ,---|| | |
` ' '`---^`    `---'``---^`---'    `---'`---^`-'-'

So, we re back to the safe embrace of the nearly blind Archivist. Let's ask him stuff about stuff.

sc00724.jpg

archivist.png
Magnificent, isn't it ? It's a relic from Before, from that glorious era when our world basked in radiant light. Keep it, I hope it will bring you good luck.

Thanks, but I wasn't asking your permission :smug:
Now, let's get back to that cabinet which has something like a combination lock... Hmm, that reminds me of that cryptic parchment we found at our father's house:

sc00697.jpg

sc00698.jpg
...blah blah blah...

:idea: Hey, could this be a combination ?

sc00707.jpg

INCREDIBLE !! The cabinet opens and we find a ...

sc00711.jpg

It looks like those punch cards our ancient computers used... Let's ask our friend about it.

sc00712.jpg

archivist.png
That is what Rylsadhar called "the key to the music of the spheres". Although I have never heard music of that kind in the Temple. In fact, the great trumpets have been silent for a long time now.

arkham2.png
The great Trumpets ?

archivist.png
Before, there were many keys to music like this one. But the others disappeared some time ago. Stolen, certain people claim... Only Rylsadhar's remained, and so he entrusted it to safekeeping here.

Great Trumpets ? Is he talking about the construct in the middle of the Temple ? As I recall it had a panel with a slot :CLUE:

sc00737.jpg

It worked... Now what ?

sc00735.jpg

AHA !

sc00741.jpg

The trumpets start moving !

screen0012.jpg

screen0015.jpg

screen0017u.jpg

Eh...? I don't know what I just accompliced, but I'm sure it's important.
I think we should head back into the Barracks. Let's hope the guards here will greet us with less hostility.

sc00747.jpg

guardiangam.png
I don't know... But after the attack on the Great Sunseer, we'd better keep a sharp look-out! If those slimes come back, they'll get a surprise from me!

guardianteskhan.png
You said it! They'll pay for Jedar's death with their own blood! And for what they did to Arkhan!

guardiangam.png
What about the Great Sunseer?

guardianteskhan.png
With the declaration of martial law, she's gone into hiding. Dhorkan has everything under control.

guardiangam.png
Yeah! They say Zed's down in the Lower City, chasing after the creatures that did it... Okay, let's go. Better get back to our posts.

Martial Law huh ? Dorkhan was pretty quick about it...

sc00757.jpg

Damn, let's hope he's not trigger-happy.

guardiangam.png
Arkhan ?...

arkham2.png
It's all right Garn, it's me. I won't bite you!

guardiangam.png
No.. No... But you're... different. Don't take it personal, but how do I know if you're telling the truth?

arkham2.png
Garn, I know what they told you, and what they want you to believe... but I haven't done anything wrong.

guardiangam.png
You're a friend of the great Zed's, so I trust you. But Dhorkan's declared martial law. All intruders are being tracked down one by one. You should go tell him what happened to you.

*grunt* So that ass Dorkhan controls everything now... We've got no choice, we should go speak to him, but first let's stop by our room. We find someone there...

sc00791.jpg

kabak.png
Arkhan! Is that really you? Holy Sun God, they really messed you up!

arkham2.png
Kabak... I'm looking for the medicine that will cure me. I've heard about a crypt, a secret place somewhere in the Stallite. You've been here longer than almost anyone, surely you must know something about it?

kabak.png
A secret crypt... uh... no, I don't know anything about it. Some people say the whole Stallite is filled with underground vaults and grottos, but I say it's nothing but talk. You want my opinion, son, you should go see the Sunseer healers.

arkham2.png
The healers can't do anything for me...

kabak.png
Then there's only one thing left to do: pray to the Sun God and ask him to drive out the darkness invading your body. Unless...

sc00803.jpg

kabak.png
But those are nothing but kids' stories... And anyway, now that they've declared martial law, no one can get out of the city!

Hmm, a woman in the Darklands... another possible solution to our problem... maybe.

arkham2.png
You really don't know anything else about it?

kabak.png
No, my boy. But there's one thing I do know... you'd better watch out. Lots of those Guardians of Fire out there would love to put you six feet under!

Yeah, tell me about it... Anyway, we should try speaking to Dorkhan.

sc00818.jpg

sc00819.jpg

After some persuasion, the guard lets us in.

sc00824.jpg

sc00825.jpg

Rather surprised to see Arkham alive, isn't he ?

arkham2.png
Dhorkan, I'm sick! The Great Sunseer's attackers... poisoned me with this black filth! They say I'm one of the enemy. It's not true: I did my duty, that's all!

dhorkan.png
Calm down, calm down... What did Thanandar the healer, have to say?

arkham2.png
He told me about a crypt, and a remedy it's supposed to hold.... He told me to see my father.... that my father could take me there.

dhorkan.png
Nonsense! Thanandar lied to you to give you hope. The truth is... the Sunseers no longer control the situation. That's why I was forced to take command of the Stallite! You know how much respect I have for your father and the Great Sunseer Lory.

sc00837.jpg

dhorkan.png
As for you... You were definitely a good Guardian of Fire. But now, who could swear you can still be trusted?

arkham2.png
Dhorkan, I swear by the Sun God....I have done no evil.

Ahem. *Almost* no evil...

arkham2.png
May Thanandar the healer be my witness... I'm still a man.

dhorkan.png
Maybe not, but Thanandar should never have let you go... He should stick to healing. Giving advice is beyond his competence!

dhorkan.png
I don't trust him. If you want to return to your own people, you must prove your loyalty to me. Go back to Thanandar, then come tell me everything he says and does.

Hmmm, what's the deal between Dorkhan and Thanadar ? Should we really spy for him ? And what about Arkam's father...

sc00849.jpg

dhorkan.png
Your father? Well, how should I know? I imagine he's gone into hiding somewhere... somewhere safe. Now make yourself scarce... if you want to keep out of the stockade!

arkham2.png
But, shouldn't we...

dhorkan.png
Arkhan! The Sunseers are not nearly as charitable as I am. Get out before something bad happens to you!

dhorkan.png
From now on, I'm the one who runs this Stallite. And don't you forget it, or you'll spend the rest of your days languishing in a dank prison-cell. That's the fate that awaits anyone who dares rise up against me!

What a bastard ! But maybe we should go to Thanadar, he said he would make a potion to calm down the disease.
As we go back down, we overhear another conversation between the guards...

sc00862.jpg

sc00863.jpg

guardiandernak.png
But I'd be surprised if she had anything to do with it....

guardiankobam.png
What do you know?! Some pretty strange things have been happening around here lately... Anyway, the Scavengers are supposed to keep away from here.

guardiandernak.png
They put her in the Stockade. If she knows anything, she'll break down and talk.

guardiankobam.png
Yeah. Well until then, keep your eyes peeled!

Damn! they got Kalhi.
We'll try to rescue her, but first let's check on Thanadar.

sc00904.jpg

Holy shit, what the hell is he doing ?

sc00907.jpg

thanandar.png
Have you seen Rylsadhar? Have you been able to get into the crypt?

arkham2.png
I still haven't found the crypt. But you spoke of a remedy that numbs the pain...

thanandar.png
I don't have one ready. Rylsadhar has to show you the way to the crypt, it's the only answer.

Let's ask him about the corpse.

sc00914.jpg

thanandar.png
Healing him!

arkham2.png
But he's dead!

thanandar.png
No, ignoramus, he's still alive! And soon he will walk again...

Oooook... What we've got here is a crazy necromancer dude getting ready to start a zombiapocalypse. Dorkhan may have been on to something after all.

arkham2.png
Do you really think you can save him?

thanandar.png
I'm sure I can! Soon, he'll be more alive than ever before!

I think it would be best to take our mutated body and leave. Our priority now is to save Kalhi.

As we approach the barracks, we hear another conversation. These guards sure like to gossip.

sc00929.jpg

sc00930.jpg

Konkalites ? Is he talking about those phychos that tried to murder the Sunseer ?

guardiandernak.png
If Arkhan had done anything to hurt the Great Sunseer, she'd have said so.

guardiankobam.png
How do you know? Dhorkan won't let anyone near the Great Sunseer.

guardiandernak.png
No one's gonna make me believe Arkhan's a traitor.

guardiankobam.png
Yeah... unless this disease has already eaten into his brain.... Don't worry, if he tries any funny business, I'll get him!

So, Dhorkan has practically imprisoned Sunseer Lory, eh ?
As we're getting ready to climb the stars, our attention is caught by some kind of container.

sc00940.jpg

Here we can fill our empty flasks with Stohll. This liquid seems to increase our regenerating rate. (Did I mention that our Slayer form has regenerating abilities ? :D)

sc00944.jpg

Now that he have all the booze we can carry, let's move on. First stop will be Master Oiler's place.

What's this ?

sc00947.jpg

sc00948.jpg

(Spitrod = Boomstick). This is some kind of gun component. On the self we also find a lead plaque. This can be used to make bullets, as we'll see later.

sc00951.jpg

Let's head upstairs. BTW, Have you noticed those two black meters next to our health meter ? That is our Black Rot meter. It increases as time passes.

sc00952a.jpg

This time master oiler's home is full of goodies. On the shelf we find his key :

sc00953.jpg

And as soon as he sees us, he shits on his pants.

sc00956.jpg

bogdaran.png
Get out of here, or I'll call the guard!

arkham2.png
There's nothing to fear, I won't do you any harm.

bogdaran.png
No... No! Don't come any closer! Stay right where you are!

Bah, what pussy. And he's supposed to be a Guardian of Fire. Let's give him the Shephard treatment.

sc00889.jpg

bogdaran.png
Help! Help me, Guardians of Fire !

Pathetic. He deserves to get robbed. Now that we've got his key we can loot his trunk...

sc00968.jpg

Hey, an old uniform. From the time Bogdaran was young and slim. Maybe it will be useful. Also, now that we have the lead plaque, we can make some bullets. A room in the main hall has the appropriate machine.

sc00973.jpg

sc00977.jpg

I guess they will be useful later in the game, if we eventually manage to find a gun.

sc00979.jpg

I think we're ready. Kalhi, love, we're coming to your rescue !

NEXT STOP : Sparta prison facility.
OPERATION : Prison Break.

sc00990.jpg

Will Arkham be able to defeat the vigilant guard and save the woman of his --most likely short-- life ?

We'll find out in the next agonizing chapter !

lightbane

Arcane
Actually, the Corruption/decline increases faster when you're regenerating, so try to not being hit.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
SCO said:
Ghostdog i think you'd (i'd) like (you to) play this SOS game thing:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/sos/sos.htm

Alternatively the snes shadowrun (that i've played and know it is awesome, so it should be introduced to the codex):
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/shadow ... dowrun.htm

Shadowrun for the snes, I've played. Good game if you don't mind the clunky combat. And that SOS game is already under my radar, because it's from the same developers that made Clock Tower. I'd also like to see an LP for SOS... SCO, how about it ? ;)

spekkio

Arcane
@ghostdog

Don't you forget that this is RPGCodex, mah boy!
Here it's not about playing games, but bitching about them and telling other peoplez that they're doing something everything wrong...

Oh and: where's mah update?

:rpgcodex:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom