Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Letters to Dan (AKA understanding the moderated post approval system)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
stiltzkin said:
The following message has been sent from stiltzkin via the contact form at rpg codex > Now with extra twits - https://twitter.com/#!/rpgcodex.
Still invisible...

Codex...
Im lovin some of the stuff on the forums, it seems like you have a pretty awesome community going which is why I wanted to join in the first place. I first acted on this dream of mine about a month ago, and I people still cant see my posts?

Guys, I realize youre busy and all, and keeping trolls and hobos out is admirable, but frankly this is just ridiculous. You can't make it this hard to join a forum.
Im a little frustrated atm so im sorry if this comes across as acerbic. Can someone on your end please sort this shit out for me?

Thank ye kindly
stiltz

DarkUnderlord said:
You've posted like... twice. The system doesn't work on a "Hey I registered, never posted anything but sat around for a few months now I can spam right?" principle. It works on a "Has this user made enough posts yet for us to be satisfied that he's not a shitposter who's about to spam?"

... and you seem like a shitposter in your latest post. And all your posts have been in the same thread.

Which is called "LOL Bioware". And it includes you posting the same video of FemShep's ass twice.

You're not off to a great start here Bryce.

Regards,

stiltzkin said:
Dear Dark Underlord:

Yea, I posted twice, neither of which can be seen except for you and perhaps some of your minions.
Neither was a "shitpost" as you so rudely called them, and if in your eyes they were, then itd be great if you could elaborate on why you so emphatically believe that they are "shitposts".

The thing is, if no one can see my post, where is the motivation for me to keep posting? I have no idea how many damn posts Im going to have to make before someone on your end decides to give me the thumbs up, therefore I believed one or two to be sufficient evidence, giving you "a week or so to get around to it" as the note says. Apparently not.

If you read my last post, i stated it was a repost because I had assumed enough time had passed that I could actually start contributing, but if your going to make me jump through hoops for this shit . . . i dont know man.

Youre not exactly off to a great start with me here buddy. Sure, it probably doesnt matter to you but its what it is. I would genuinely like to start contributing to the community, Im not going to hide that fact and this response will probably get me banned from doing so, however I feel obligated to let you know how rude that response was.

DarkUnderlord said:
Dear Dan,

Can I call you Dan? Good. When you post, you'll note that you see this little "This post is awaiting moderator approval and is invisible" message thingo.

What you should also note is that your post count doesn't increase until the post is approved.

Now let's take a look at your profile... http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?members/stiltzkin.14721/

Oh look, you have 2 - count them - 2 posts. That means that 2 - count them - 2 posts have been approved. Let's click on "postings" and see what posts they are.

Oh look. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/lol-bioware.68704/page-86#post-1971415

It's your first evar post. Do you note how that message saying "this post is awaiting approval" IS NOT THERE?

:shock:

Now let's look at your second post: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/lol-bioware.68704/page-87#post-1971444

LOLOLOL FemShep's ass wobbles LOLOLOL.

Note how that too doesn't have that message saying "this post is awaiting approval"?

Isn't it fun learning how the software works before we go off ranting about our messages not being approved? And hey, I can even tell you that both of those messages were approved with 4 hours - that's 4 hours - of being posted.

So let's now review your e-mail "Yea, I posted twice, neither of which can be seen except for you and perhaps some of your minions."

This is wrong.

"The thing is, if no one can see my post where is the motivation for me to keep posting?"

Given your first assumption is wrong, all I can suggest is that nobody wanted to bother taking the time to reply to your in-depth post about FemShep's ass wobble. Tragic.

"Youre not exactly off to a great start with me here buddy."

Yes and your third post was an /exact repeat/ of your previous two posts - both of which have already been approved. Is it a wonder why that didn't get approved?

What's the matter Dan, are you upset that nobody's talking to you? Are you mad that nobody wants to talk to you about FemShep's ass wobble? Are we really surprised that nobody bothered replying to FemShep's ass wobble?

Regards,
This thread is now about FemShep's ass wobble.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
And I remember some peeps saying we need an IQ test to register, or some sort of RPG lore quiz. I don't think they'd ever have guessed that the simple moderation process would be enough of a test.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
stiltzkin said:
Dark underlord,

If a post is invisible for 4 hours in a fast moving thread, it gets lost. I posted at around page 86, and by the time it got through on your end, the thread had already advanced several pages.

Whether or not people responded is immaterial. I tried being civil with you, but you only responded with more impatience and immaturity than I thought possible in one single reply.

I could reciprocate and tell you to quit sucking your dads dick for rent money and get a real job so that you aren't quite such a fucking drain on society, but that would just be equally immature and mean.

So instead I'm going to wish you good luck and a happy life.
Guys, can you slow down the LOL Bioware thread? It's moving too fast for the new guys.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
We could move it to GD, which quite honestly is where it belongs. Or retardo. There really is no discussion going on in it.

gromit

Arcane
some sort of RPG lore quiz
This keeps coming up, but it strikes me as a terrible idea. So many of our good-to-middling members first come here because they're sick of well-polished turds, and dutifully report for re-education. Likewise, there are plenty of folk whose rote memory of c64 games utterly dwarfs any insight they could provide.

some sort of RPG lore quiz
This keeps coming up, but it strikes me as a terrible idea. So many of our good-to-middling members first come here because they're sick of well-polished turds, and dutifully report for re-education. Likewise, there are plenty of folk whose rote memory of c64 games utterly dwarfs any insight they could provide.

We could have a multi-faceted test to represent the multiple personalities of the codex. Question A. deals with obscure RPG lore, requiring rote memorization of a game manual from the 90s. Question B. can display pictures of MCA and ask the user if they would hit it. Question C. will allow the user the supply 100 images of them LPing something.

Seriously though, the current system is probably the most effective assuming mods aren't overwhelmed combing through the mountain of shit every day. Trial by fire and all that. The barrier to entry must be pretty damn low for all of my early posts to have been approved almost within minutes.

MCA
There is a better solution without burdening the staff. Whenever someone registers, randomly assign one of the old posters (current minus a year) to the new member. The old poster will have the authority to approve posts of this new member but is also responsible for the quality of the new member. So if the new members is posting shit and the old poster approves shit, let DU/staff deal with both accordingly in public. For teh lulz. This will provide a never-ending cycle of teh lulz.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
There is a better solution without burdening the staff. Whenever someone registers, randomly assign one of the old posters (current minus a year) to the new member. The old poster will have the authority to approve posts of this new member but is also responsible for the quality of the new member. So if the new members is posting shit and the old poster approves shit, let DU/staff deal with both accordingly in public. For teh lulz. This will provide a never-ending cycle of teh lulz.

Didn't denizsi suggest something like this before? At least I think it was him/her.

Or am I behind on my alt-knowledge?

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Yeah, it's what denizsi's suggested before. Should be a thread in Site Feedback a couple of months ago from it with the idea.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
stiltzkin said:
Dark underlord,

If a post is invisible for 4 hours in a fast moving thread, it gets lost. I posted at around page 86, and by the time it got through on your end, the thread had already advanced several pages.

Whether or not people responded is immaterial. I tried being civil with you, but you only responded with more impatience and immaturity than I thought possible in one single reply.

I could reciprocate and tell you to quit sucking your dads dick for rent money and get a real job so that you aren't quite such a fucking drain on society, but that would just be equally immature and mean.

So instead I'm going to wish you good luck and a happy life.
Guys, can you slow down the LOL Bioware thread? It's moving too fast for the new guys.
This is a valid point though, the approved posts should appear at the end of the thread. It will just get confusing if posts can randomly appear in the middle of a thread, possibly breaking context if the post below was directly replying to the one above, without quoting.

This thread is now about FemShep's ass wobble.
DAT ASS EFFECT

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
This is a valid point though, the approved posts should appear at the end of the thread. It will just get confusing if posts can randomly appear in the middle of a thread, possibly breaking context if the post below was directly replying to the one above, without quoting.
If a thread is moving so fast that a new user's "lol" post gets lost, I don't really see the problem. And given it's only for the first few posts for a user, it's not a major issue as if it's a half-decent post, anything they quote will alert the quotee as per normal once it's approved.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I was thinking about situations like these:

Monocle said:
I expect that Wasteland 2 will have a robust turn-based combat system, that will be essential to capture the spirit of old school RPGs
BRO said:
I completely agree, that's an essential feature. I won't buy it otherwise.

which can become:

Monocle said:
I expect that Wasteland 2 will have a robust turn-based combat system, that will be essential to capture the spirit of old school RPGs
Newfag said:
I hope there will be many NPC romance options, nothing like a little love and sex to contrast with the desolation of the wastelands
BRO said:

Then again, this won't happen that often, and could be worth it for the lulz potential. :)

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I was thinking about situations like these:

Monocle said:
BRO said:

which can become:

Monocle said:
Newfag said:
I hope there will be many NPC romance options, nothing like a little love and sex to contrast with the desolation of the wastelands
BRO said:

Then again, this won't happen that often, and could be worth it for the lulz potential. :)

The obvious solution to these situations is to not approve the post. :hero:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom