Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Life is feudal YO

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Yeah the "your own" version isnt exactly an MMO but does anyone play? Is it good?

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
That bad?

It looks cool- The whole Medieval life sim concept is solid- WHY is it shit. Explaaaaaaaaaain it to me please.

I'm bored and was thinking about playing this but I must have the codex's approval!!!!

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
I kickstarted the "your own" version, so I have access to the mmorpg version as well. My belief is that it's one of those games you either love or hate. Is it perfect? Not by a long shot, but it "does" what it's supposed to do well. Progression is slow as shit, but for some reason that just seems normal. Combat is clunky and a mess, but learning it and actually beating up someone is a great feeling. You could spend an afternoon simply wandering around looking for that 100 quality apple tree, to plant it on your turf and have great food. Spend hours fishing and then cooking the fish? Done that, it seems like you'd get bored, but somehow the knowledge of being "learning" a useful skill makes it ok.

THe whole progression from using a branch and piece of stone to your first kiln to the first metal tools is so satisfying, yet someone else might just find it a drag and long and boring.

And who the fuck knows when any stable actual game will come out. Might be 5 years, considering the main guy's record... I think they've been working on the "your own" version for... 5+ years already? And even if i love the game, it doesn't really feel "complete". The devs clearly love what they are doing, but who knows how much more it will take,

For now, however, I personally love it.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
I kickstarted the "your own" version, so I have access to the mmorpg version as well. My belief is that it's one of those games you either love or hate. Is it perfect? Not by a long shot, but it "does" what it's supposed to do well. Progression is slow as shit, but for some reason that just seems normal. Combat is clunky and a mess, but learning it and actually beating up someone is a great feeling. You could spend an afternoon simply wandering around looking for that 100 quality apple tree, to plant it on your turf and have great food. Spend hours fishing and then cooking the fish? Done that, it seems like you'd get bored, but somehow the knowledge of being "learning" a useful skill makes it ok.

THe whole progression from using a branch and piece of stone to your first kiln to the first metal tools is so satisfying, yet someone else might just find it a drag and long and boring.

And who the fuck knows when any stable actual game will come out. Might be 5 years, considering the main guy's record... I think they've been working on the "your own" version for... 5+ years already? And even if i love the game, it doesn't really feel "complete". The devs clearly love what they are doing, but who knows how much more it will take,

For now, however, I personally love it.
Cool- I picked up the YO version for the hell of it, looking for something that I can just relax and play and get really into.

Seems people either love it or hate it with very little 'in between' but I know I like the idea of a hardcore, no magic, medieval life sim to play around in and for $20 I'd say its worth giving it a try.

I notice when I ask why people hate it they just "do" or they say its just grindy but I suppose I'll just have to see for myself.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
-Game is alright I suppose but tbh it seems like a poor mans WURM online with way less to do, less customization and totally PVP focused.

I was really kind of bummed when I saw that the houses and buildings were prefabs which kills the creativity that games like WURM allows and makes the grind have some real payoff once you have created awesome structures.

However the thing that bothered me and make me pretty much give up was that all of the active servers were "RP" servers and those people took things way too serious- One guy spoke in chat without using a "raven' (essentially just typing * send raven to X* before saying something) and the whole server had a fucking meltdown and demanded that the GM's take action and 'jail him'- They ended up making the poor guy join discord where I imagine they yelled at him or something- Idk, I left when that shit happened.

Tried another active server and it didnt seem as bad but still had all the faggotry going on when I just wanted to play the game and not play make believe.

So all in all it seemed an okay game that was ruined by the fuckers playing it. I imagine theres fun to be had here though with the right server I just couldnt find it.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
I always close the chat, never even noticed that kind of stuff
so it's a game for autists apparently
i'll have to ponder about that

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
it's hard to say honestly

see, for example up there i told the penguin that i liked the game, and he said that to him it's a lesser version of WURM. I always found wurm to be garbage, but I wouldn't be able to say why, while I find LIF to be enjoyable, and I still wouldn't be able to say why.

This is a weird niche of games, maybe what one finds appealing someone else might find boring. At this point I feel guilty of having made Penguin spend his money on something he didn't like, so I'd better not opinate on this kind of stuff anymore :P

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
it's hard to say honestly

see, for example up there i told the penguin that i liked the game, and he said that to him it's a lesser version of WURM. I always found wurm to be garbage, but I wouldn't be able to say why, while I find LIF to be enjoyable, and I still wouldn't be able to say why.

This is a weird niche of games, maybe what one finds appealing someone else might find boring. At this point I feel guilty of having made Penguin spend his money on something he didn't like, so I'd better not opinate on this kind of stuff anymore :P
Nah dude, I certainly dont take it as having wasted my money- I appreciated your insight.

I love to discuss games, see what people like and dislike and my gaming money is all disposable income so its not like if I spend $20 and dislike a game I have nothing else to play for a month or two.

I would say I didnt really play long enough to make a good enough judgement but I can see how it would probably be alot of fun with the right people or on the right server.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom