Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lifeline

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So... it's definitely not PC Gaming unless you use an Android emulator, and it's just a glorified CYOA but I have been playing this neat little "thing" called Lifeline.

1_lifeline.jpg

And I'm creating this thread because I believe it is really, really worth mentioning as it is both original and very good.

Install it, launch it : you start receiving message notifications on your phone from this guy, called Taylor, who was traveling into space with his crew. His spaceship crashed, somehow, he finds a way to contact you. Yes you, who are reading this on this screen, not your "ingame persona". Taylor starts exploring his surroundings, describing what he sees to you, and asking you at some points about your opinion on what he should do. You always have two choices.

While it sounds like a fairly limited CYOA thingie (spoiler alert : it is), it's worth mentioning for presentation alone. The game tries really hard in making you think this is a real astronaut talking to you. His messages sound natural, sometimes humorous, sometimes scary and tries to imitate real conversation. Also, the fact it opens in the notification window of your phone enhances the feeling of "reality".

rE72W_6HdRwJBrRXSuvkWcPwC9GMPncBSxybEbKlv9kvvx_afsW0yVvZH9W0cAI9GbXK=h900

But there's more, the one best feature of this game is... the times when you're not playing. It takes three days, three "real life" days to complete the game and reach one of the many endings (apparently, the game branches out a lot, has real C&C, and good replay value... I'm on my second playthrough and can't yet confirm it, but I have a firm suspicion it does as of now). At various moments, Taylor will attempt something and will tell you he'll be right back. And that's it. Nothing happens for the next 10 minutes before you start receiving notifications with Taylor telling you what happened. Sometimes, he'll be asking you between two destinations and will disappear for hours getting there. At some moments, he'll just go to sleep and the game will leave you alone for around eight hours... In at least one occasion he'll ask you to Google science facts while he's away to help with his survival.

50yQ3UmYtd9iln2TxYnfwjCJ2wPgBk-bUg6YzFhyrWJWAvNiTkNfi4jBbrWH49ePXRM=h900

If you've got a few bucks to spare, it's a really nice buy. I'm not the best reviewer, but giving more details would be just spoiling the storyline.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.threeminutegames.lifeline.google

It's a great game to have on your phone and distract you with a few minutes once in a while while you're at the office.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
(apparently, the game branches out a lot, has real C&C, and good replay value... I'm on my second playthrough and can't yet confirm it, but I have a firm suspicion it does as of now).

Almost done with the second playthrough and I have to withold that statement. It's Telltale non-linear.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom