Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Light of the Locked World - 0.6.0 - Play demo!

Zuurix

Arcane
Developer
n9pfD6W.png

Light of the Locked World is a fantasy role-playing game.

Enter a developing world of Kayos, try to start a new life, and become entangled in a fight against an existential threat.

Planned features
  • Open and atmospheric world: Freely roam in a world with lively settlements, vast meadows, desolate deserts, and treacherous ruins.
  • Capable characters: Interact with the world's inhabitants that can help and fight each other, gain experience, take and equip items, belong to factions.
  • Persistence: Characters and environment are persistent, the results of your actions are preserved indefinitely.
  • Intense combat: Conquer the lawless lands with the game's real-time combat system - wield magic and medieval weapons, perform and dodge deadly attacks.
  • Become powerful: Equip your character with weapons and armor, master combat and crafting by leveling classes, earn faction respect, learn spells.
  • Play together: The game has local multiplayer support for two players - cooperate to overcome challenges or compete for territory and resources.
Trailer

Download demo

Steam >>
GameJolt >>
Itch.io >>

Screenshots

E1VDVi6.png

1jZxRGk.png

EnNOkmg.png

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
- Combat is not TB, so it won't find much appreciation on this site.

- Action RPG combat - it's all good and well, but yours looks slow and not dynamic enough to be even remotely entertaining. You have to research games with similar combat and see how you can improve yours. A lot more action - either increase the number of enemies and make it look like Diablo 1, or make things bounce, run faster, make it much more dynamic. I don't have good examples, do the research.

- People used to play games like yours back in the 80s when it was something new. Nowadays an experience of walking around and killing stuff is a shallow one. Unless there's a compelling story to go with the game, nothing can make me go kill things in a game for no reason. The process itself is not fun, unless there's a story.

You have to go back to the drawing board.

Barrishimi

NecroCatic Games
Developer
Here is some feedback for your game but feel free to laugh at me as most people do. Today I actually found out I am retarded so... I would probably take all this with a grain of salt.

I took a few mins to customize my character, which I like that you included that feature as well as the Multiplayer is a nice bonus. I played for 30 mins to figure out controls and get familiar with the game and then spent another 10 - 15 mins writing my friend trying to play "online multiplayer" with him when it specifically says LOCAL MULTIPLAYER. Like I said... Today I realized I am retarded. I am saying, I think online multiplayer would be fun and maybe a boss encounter or something. I realize this is only the demo and thought there was a good amount of items to collect, equip and some skills / spells and stuff. I can kinda envision how this would come together with a whole bunch of gear and alot more content and I like it! I enjoyed what I played but the only disappointed was myself - reading multiplayer but skipping over the LOCAL part.

We were a both little bit confused as to the direction until we figured out you can talk to the rogues (which some will attempt to trick or attack you while others could possible give you gear or items!). I didn't go explore the town but just focused on getting better gear, running from enemies that would kill me but still grabbing items, equipping them and coming back to fuck them up. lol. It felt good to demolish a few enemies and get revenge.

Friends thoughts : "My criticism is I suck at game but it fun to attack locals"

Zuurix

Arcane
Developer
- Combat is not TB, so it won't find much appreciation on this site.

That's... weird. But okay, I can live with it.
"on this site" - is there a magical place where people appreciate real-time combat? Can I get a link? =]

- Action RPG combat - it's all good and well, but yours looks slow and not dynamic enough to be even remotely entertaining. You have to research games with similar combat and see how you can improve yours. A lot more action - either increase the number of enemies and make it look like Diablo 1, or make things bounce, run faster, make it much more dynamic. I don't have good examples, do the research.

I know how to make fast-paced combat, but I don't want it for this game. It's the 6th iteration of combat, and I like how it feels.
The slower pace is part of the charm - every fight feels pretty significant, there's enough time to think "If I timed this better, I could have dealt 20% more damage and avoided taking some myself, so I'd have more supplies for the next fight, ...".
Then there are fights where you're on 10% health all the time, desperately trying to dodge every attack, and it goes for what feels like minutes, for that rush when you eventually survive - "Eat shit, I'm a god-damned-unkillable-badass!!!"

Don't want to lose that for generic spam clicking combat - nothing wrong with that, it's fun, I've made games like that, but I want to make "Every hit matters" kind of combat this time. And not TB.

Adding more enemies could be a solution, though I'd need to optimize more and find a solution to stop people from splitting up the enemy groups, which is very easy to do currently.

- People used to play games like yours back in the 80s when it was something new. Nowadays an experience of walking around and killing stuff is a shallow one. Unless there's a compelling story to go with the game, nothing can make me go kill things in a game for no reason. The process itself is not fun, unless there's a story.

Oh, there is a story.
Can't say if it's a good story, though I'm putting a lot of effort into it.

People still play games like that though, there are a lot of grindy games out there, and then people skip dialogues, so I don't know.

You have to go back to the drawing board.

Almost two years of full-time work on this, not the time to go back to the drawing board, heh. Got to finish it and finally get some money out of it.

Anyway, I didn't reply to just deflect, I will think about what you wrote for days to come.
I really appreciate honest, brutal feedback, it's something I get extremely rarely on the places I usually post. Much love ^_^

Here is some feedback for your game but feel free to laugh at me as most people do. Today I actually found out I am retarded so... I would probably take all this with a grain of salt.

I took a few mins to customize my character, which I like that you included that feature as well as the Multiplayer is a nice bonus. I played for 30 mins to figure out controls and get familiar with the game and then spent another 10 - 15 mins writing my friend trying to play "online multiplayer" with him when it specifically says LOCAL MULTIPLAYER. Like I said... Today I realized I am retarded. I am saying, I think online multiplayer would be fun and maybe a boss encounter or something. I realize this is only the demo and thought there was a good amount of items to collect, equip and some skills / spells and stuff. I can kinda envision how this would come together with a whole bunch of gear and alot more content and I like it! I enjoyed what I played but the only disappointed was myself - reading multiplayer but skipping over the LOCAL part.

We were a both little bit confused as to the direction until we figured out you can talk to the rogues (which some will attempt to trick or attack you while others could possible give you gear or items!). I didn't go explore the town but just focused on getting better gear, running from enemies that would kill me but still grabbing items, equipping them and coming back to fuck them up. lol. It felt good to demolish a few enemies and get revenge.

Friends thoughts : "My criticism is I suck at game but it fun to attack locals"

I'm glad you two got something out of it!

Regarding multiplayer, do you know about Steam Remote Play Together?
It kind of turns it into an online multiplayer, it works... okay-ish.

I'm not going to make a built-in online multiplayer because that way is madness. Local multiplayer is tough enough.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
"on this site" - is there a magical place where people appreciate real-time combat?
If you have a friend who speaks Russian, I'd suggest posting on dtf.ru, it's the largest reddit-like russian gaming site, so you can post any article yourself and get a large exposure. The best articles in the "indie" section can get up to 10k views. You'd have to write an article though, something interesting.

As for the codex, you could've gotten more exposure if you had posted in the general RPG section. Nobody checks out the "workshop". This section is for people who are just tinkering with stuff. Ask a moderator to move it.

Last edited:

Barrishimi

NecroCatic Games
Developer
I spent some more time with the game and figured out how to level up --- how to gather, mine stuff with a pickaxe --- I got a pink cape!! And protected my pink cape with my life... Until I got something even better!! Now I am straight up going on some killing sprees and a level 10 Warrior. Even managed to smoke a few guards! I kinda have some timing down and have a feel for the game. This is actually pretty damn good, Zuurix! I am digging it.

Zuurix

Arcane
Developer
I spent some more time with the game and figured out how to level up --- how to gather, mine stuff with a pickaxe --- I got a pink cape!! And protected my pink cape with my life... Until I got something even better!! Now I am straight up going on some killing sprees and a level 10 Warrior. Even managed to smoke a few guards! I kinda have some timing down and have a feel for the game. This is actually pretty damn good, Zuurix! I am digging it.

Very nice! I think it's possible to get into the second area in the version you're playing - there is more content there, like tier 2 equipment and tougher enemies.

Zuurix

Arcane
Developer
Hm, loads on my side. I'd try to reupload the screenshots, but can't see the edit button anywhere, so I guess I have to wait until my account is approved.

You are attaching hyperlinked attachments from a forum where you have to be logged in to in order to see said attachments.

You are seeing them because you are logged into the forum/have the images cached in your browser.

Zuurix

Arcane
Developer
Yeah, I thought it would be something like that.

But why I can't edit my posts? What is this, Twitter?

EDIT: I see how it is... I get like X minutes to edit/delete, then I can't anymore. Well, fuck.

EDIT: Ok, I can edit stuff now. Please confirm that screenshots load =]

Last edited:

Zuurix

Arcane
Developer
Pure white looks weird unless it's 1 bit graphics.

I've talked with an artist and yep, he agreed that I need to tone down the white just a little. Thanks for bringing my attention to this.

Not sure why you colored the roofs orange though. And 1-bit graphics are black and white?

Don't listen to him, plenty of people appreciate real time and RTWP RPGs.

That's nice to know =]

Zuurix

Arcane
Developer
The color of clay roof tiles, cause it's a medieval setting.

Oh, yeah, that makes sense. It would look really pleasant if roofs weren't completely flat, I can pull it off.

I just have to decide if I want the city to look more medieval or more modern because tile roofs would ruin the modern feel I was going for.

CanadianCorndog

Learned
On character creation screen 2/2, hovering over the icons does not bring up a tooltip. Hovering over the left arrow does, which is weird.
The setting is kind of cool, a land of rogues.
When I started, didn't realize I had a sword in my inventory. Just stick it in my hand right away.
Combat is clunky as hell.
But combat was clear, like when the archers have an area of effect attack, right away I understood I needed to get out of there. Timing to get out was good too.
You need some juice if you want this to be an action game. Screen shake, vfx, etc. It's dry as hell right now.
Art direction is great.
Needs walls, cones of vision, etc.
I love that salt is a treasure item. More games should make salt, water, footwear, etc. more valuable. Stuff that you need to survive in real life.
This has a lot of potential, great work overall. Get a great combat -> loot -> level up and it will be fun.

Zuurix

Arcane
Developer
On character creation screen 2/2, hovering over the icons does not bring up a tooltip. Hovering over the left arrow does, which is weird.

You're not the first to be confused, hah. Let me write it down.

When I started, didn't realize I had a sword in my inventory. Just stick it in my hand right away.

You mean, a crate? The greeter NPC gives players a crate with supplies, including a sword.
Hmm... Yeah, the crate is another blip in the new player experience. But I've just got an idea on how to fix that.

You need some juice if you want this to be an action game. Screen shake, vfx, etc. It's dry as hell right now.

Looks like that's going to be a common theme in feedback >.>
Got to start writing down ideas for visual/audio combat improvements.

Needs walls, cones of vision, etc.

Could you expand on that? I have no idea where you're going with this.

This has a lot of potential, great work overall. Get a great combat -> loot -> level up and it will be fun.

There is leveling already, but I wouldn't be surprised if you missed that. Another thing to improve.
There is loot too unless you mean something else by that.

And thank you ^_^

Zuurix

Arcane
Developer
Oh. The limited vision would be difficult to make and I'm not sure if that hypothetical suspense is worth going for.

Right, better loot, leveling, combat. Got it.

Hah, I knew what videos you linked before I clicked the links.
It's easy to know what to do, it's infinitely harder to make it work for the specific game you're making and properly execute it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom