Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware List of games that don't work on Windows 10?

should i upgrade to windows 10?

• yes

Votes: 26 35.6%
  • no

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • the n word

Votes: 23 31.5%

• Total voters

mck

Cipher
Considering "upgrading" from Windows 7 to 10, but I'm concerned I won't be able to play a bunch of older shit.

Does there exist a comprehensive list of games that work on Windows 7, but not on 10 and currently don't have a fix?

I know Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is one, but I'm certain there are a lot more. Also if there isn't a list, please list stuff you know doesn't work on 10 here.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I know Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is one, but I'm certain there are a lot more. Also if there isn't a list, please list stuff you know doesn't work on 10 here.
You can play it on Win10, but be prepared for some fucking annoying bugs and crashes. The same goes for a lot of games from the first decade of the 2000's — games needing unofficial patches before you can even start them, physics not working quite properly (Max Payne 1 and No One Lives Forever 2 come to mind), potentially game-breaking stuff that comes out of nowhere and may or may not have a workaround...

I don't recall running into any games that were totally unplayable on Win10, but there definitely is a lot more hassle than there is with Windows 7 or 8. You might be out of luck with some games from the 90's, but at least many of those have dirt cheap and Win10-compatible GoG/Steam versions in case you run into problems with original CDs.

Swigen

Arbiter
Windows 10 is amazing! You don’t know about Windows 10? Lemme tell you about Windows 10. Windows 10 has updates! You liek updates? Windows 10 has updates up the wazoo! Every time you turn on yore computer you get a new update so you know your pc is up to date! Do you like when your browser remembers the last page you were on? Well, Windows 10 comes stock with Microsoft EDGE! You know about Microsoft EDGE? Lemme tell you about Microsoft EDGE. Microsoft EDGE always remembers what the last page you visited was! Even if you ctrl+alt+delete and close EDGE to escape from a Brazilian bestiality site that prompts you to “click here to navigates exit from page” it’ll still be waiting for you when you open EDGE back up! You shouldn’t worry about gaems not working on Windows 10, only shitty games like Temple of Elemental Evil will give you trouble. It’s a small price to pay in order to help create a standard for PC gaming. Pretty soon ALL games will be made for Windows 10 so every game will work on every PC. Make the upgrade now! You won’t regret it!

hpstg

Savant
So much edge this thread. You should upgrade to W10 for security alone.

If something doesn't play under 10, it would be because it was using 16 bit Dos libraries that only work under 32bit Windows, and you happened to have a 32bit Win7, in which case, why?

From work experience, I can tell you that W10 are actually more compatible.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Unless you're refusing to use updated GOG/Steam versions instead of installing from the original CD, or you're playing some really obscure games who don't have the fan communities to fix incompatibilities, then Windows 10 will most likely run any game you want to play. A lot of games will still run fine even without fan fixes or updates from digital stores anyway.

If you come across any game that genuinely doesn't run on Win10 and you can't find any fixes online, then it's probably old enough to not be too demanding for a Windows XP virtual machine.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, the only game I had trouble running on Windows in the last 10+ years was Star Wars Shadows of the Empire, and GOG eventually released it with new compatibility. I've never run into anything else giving me significant issues. The mentioned Max Payne and No One Lives Forever 2 above have simple fan patches or repacks. Not sure about Cthulu but it's on GOG and such so I bet it works fine. Often times people tend to blame the OS for things that aren't the OS' fault, which creates a misguided reputation.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Now is a good time to ensure you have a working install CD of WIN7 - I hear they're discontinuing support in Jan next year.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Trade Empires. It runs but very slowly and some of the graphics are borked. No compatibility mode helped, not even an XP VM worked (turns out the specific 3D api it uses isn't supported by Virtualbox). I still hope to get it working again some day.

hpstg

Savant
Now is a good time to ensure you have a working install CD of WIN7 - I hear they're discontinuing support in Jan next year.
Yeah. Because if you're sticking to an old OS with no security updates, better stick to a closed source one.
:hero:

Trade Empires. It runs but very slowly and some of the graphics are borked. No compatibility mode helped, not even an XP VM worked (turns out the specific 3D api it uses isn't supported by Virtualbox). I still hope to get it working again some day.
If I were you I would check dgVoodoo (http://dege.freeweb.hu) . It has helped me a lot with very old stuff like WipeOut. It supports stuff since DX1-7 for 2D operations, and all older versions of D3D and Glide. I haven't found anything I wasn't able to run using it.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
If I were you I would check dgVoodoo (http://dege.freeweb.hu) . It has helped me a lot with very old stuff like WipeOut. It supports stuff since DX1-7 for 2D operations, and all older versions of D3D and Glide. I haven't found anything I wasn't able to run using it.
Nice, that worked.

install linux
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Windows, is in fact, NSA/Windows, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, NSA plus Windows. Windows is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another locked down component of a fully functioning NSA system made useful by the NSA corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by the government.
Many computer users run a modified version of the NSA system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of NSA which is widely used today is often called “Windows”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the NSA system, developed by the NSA. There really is a Windows, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Windows is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Windows is normally used in combination with the NSA operating system: the whole system is basically NSA with Windows added, or NSA/Windows. All the so-called “Windows” versions are really versions of NSA/Windows.

visions

Arcane
The GOG versions of Fantasy General and and Warhammer 40K: Chaos Gate were unplayable for me on my Win 10 laptop. Both worked fine on my Win 7 desktop. Also Screamer 4x4. And I had frequent crashes on later tracks in Screamer 1 which I didn't have on Win XP but I don't remember if I ever played that on Win 7. Maybe the problem is something with Nvidia's Optimus fuckery and not with Win 10, I cba to delve into this shit too much, rather just play something else when I have to use the laptop for gaming.

EDIT: Chaos Gate had some UI issues which made the combat unplayable. Screamer 4x4 was dowright unplayable. I don't remember what the issue was in Fantasy General, I think I could start the campaign but the game would crash in the first scenario.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I started using 10 just a couple of days ago for my home pc and I can already say that this "windows 10 is better for older games than win7" is a total myth. Incubation doesn't run at all, Red Alert 2 launches, but that's pretty much it. Both work flawlessly on win7. I'm pretty sure I'll find more soon.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I started using 10 just a couple of days ago for my home pc and I can already say that this "windows 10 is better for older games than win7" is a total myth. Incubation doesn't run at all
A bunch of people are coming up with solutions in this GOG forum thread: https://af.gog.com/forum/battle_isle/windows_10_cant_launch_the_game/page1?as=1649904300

Any of 'em work for you?

Red Alert 2 launches, but that's pretty much it
WindowsReport.com did an article on this, might be worth checking out: https://windowsreport.com/fix-red-alert-2-windows-10/

Edit: and the only reply I get is a participation award. :lol: Have fun with your bitching.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Yeah. Because if you're sticking to an old OS with no security updates, better stick to a closed source one.
:hero:

I didn't think people were actually deluded and stupid enough to think windows update delivered value in any form. Next you're going to tell me you have windows update enabled.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Considering "upgrading" from Windows 7 to 10, but I'm concerned I won't be able to play a bunch of older shit.

Well. It's been half a decade since Windows 10 was released and a full decade since Windows 7 was released, so things you consider "old shit" must basically need a Commodore 64, Windows 7 is old shit already.

Windows 7 is ancient, in fact. Great for playing ancient games, so if that's what you want to do, keep using Windows 7. That being said, Windows 10 runs most games from the Vista period and onward, but of course there's always some exceptions.

Windows 10 runs Silent Hunter 2 flawlessly without any tweaks. That's ancient shit. Needs QuickTime installed, which actually installs on Windows 10 as well.

But then, Windows 7 doesn't run all older games, so you might want to consider Windows XP. That one just turned 18. It's in its prime, it's vintage OS.

hpstg

Savant
The GOG versions of Fantasy General and and Warhammer 40K: Chaos Gate were unplayable for me on my Win 10 laptop. Both worked fine on my Win 7 desktop. Also Screamer 4x4. And I had frequent crashes on later tracks in Screamer 1 which I didn't have on Win XP but I don't remember if I ever played that on Win 7. Maybe the problem is something with Nvidia's Optimus fuckery and not with Win 10, I cba to delve into this shit too much, rather just play something else when I have to use the laptop for gaming.

EDIT: Chaos Gate had some UI issues which made the combat unplayable. Screamer 4x4 was dowright unplayable. I don't remember what the issue was in Fantasy General, I think I could start the campaign but the game would crash in the first scenario.
Nvidia Optimus is bad, and Nvidia drivers in general are bad for older games. Too many workarounds for performance tend to break over time, especially when they need to work with compatibility layers. If you have issues, I would recommend checking out dgVoodoo first, and see what's happening. There are also a lot of compatibility options under Windows 10 that really work.

I didn't think people were actually deluded and stupid enough to think windows update delivered value in any form. Next you're going to tell me you have windows update enabled.
Hey man, what do you do for a living? You sound like a member of the Nigerian Royal family working in IT.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom