Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of oldschool RPGs rejected by GoG

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Since this has become a disconcerting trend from GoG's curation, let's compile a list of decent indie RPGs that we know were rejected by GoG's idiotic curation team:

- Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
- Vigilantes
- Legends of Amberland
- Das Geisterschiff
- Lurking
- Titan Outpost

Those were all made by Codex posters who informed us directly on the Codex that GoG rejected their games for reasons such as "not high enough production values" when the games look about on par with all the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s games GoG has founded its store on.

Post others ITT when you know about them.

EDIT:
Other games rejected by GoG that posters in this thread found out:
- Steam Marines
- Warlock of Firetop Mountain
- Swords and Sorcery: Underworld
- the PC port of the Japanese Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls
- Aeon of Sands
- Voidspire Tactics

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Those were all made by Codex posters
:philosoraptor:

tenor.gif

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

"but it is a curated platform"

Sounds like GOG has SJW squads combing applicants for "undesirable" elements. Really curious as to when that started tbh

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I honestly don't know what's objectionable about a game like Warlock of Firetop Mountain. I got that on Steam in some sale or bundle long ago and recently installed and played it and it's as inoffensive as it gets. Classic gamebook-style RPG with tactical grid-based combat encounters, you can even play as a woman so it checks the diversity checkboxes. The visuals are very pleasant, the writing is good, so the reason can't be "low production values".

The only thing the game has going against it is that it's "niche", as a gamebook-RPG thing. And GoG has been rejecting plenty of games that fit into this niche (all of the ones mentioned in my OP and throughout this thread).
Which is the exact fucking niche that made the store popular in the first place. Oldschool RPG players are the people who bought at GoG from the start.

It becomes even weirder when you consider they recently added Wizards and Warriors to their catalogue and even fixed it to work on modern PCs with the GoG installer. This is a game that doesn't even exist on Steam so it was a big acquisition for the oldschool RPG audience.

And then they go ahead and reject newly made indie games that fit the exact same niche.

WTF is going on? This is more than just SJW shit, it has to be some dumb hipsters in control of the curation process, because generic hip indie games get accepted.

I mean, go to the Steam or itch.io pages of all the games I listed in the OP. They look pretty decent. They definitely have the oldschool vibe that the original GoG audience would enjoy. They are focused on good gameplay and un-pretentious, to-the-point storytelling. It's exactly what people who play old 80s, 90s and 00s games would want.

Meanwhile, pretentious hipstery shit like this which nobody really cares about gets accepted on GoG:
https://af.gog.com/game/yiik_a_postmodern_rpg?as=1649904300
Some dumb JRPG thing with mediocre gameplay and a shitty, pretentious, self-important story, featuring a guy wearing a plaid shirt as protagonist.
https://af.gog.com/game/monster_prom?as=1649904300
A mediocre visual novel with little gameplay and cutesy anime cartoon visuals.

WTF is going on?

Last edited by a moderator:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
And the Japanese Wizardry PC port isn't even about having sexualized anime girls in the game.

GoG has shit like this on sale:

https://af.gog.com/game/princess_evangile_w_happiness?as=1649904300

Anime dating sims featuring schoolgirls. Who even cares about this shit, these things barely have any gameplay.

But Wizardry has gameplay. It has pretty damn hardcore gameplay. With dozens of viable character build, a 6 char party, dungeon crawling, traps and puzzles, hard encounters.

Apparently GoG are forgetting that the second G in their name stands for Games.

Curratum

Disregard what I just said about not pushing a SJW agenda, I just saw YIIK: A Postmodern RPG from Jarl's link. :negative:

Metascore 66

User score 29

Yep, seems just like the high quality content GOG is aiming for...

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
https://af.gog.com/game/yiik_a_postmodern_rpg?as=1649904300
Some dumb JRPG thing with mediocre gameplay and a shitty, pretentious, self-important story, featuring a guy wearing a plaid shirt as protagonist.

This abomination belongs in one of those columns gaming zines from the 90s used to have reserved for the worst games of the month (typically called "The Wasteland" or "Zone of awful").

https://af.gog.com/game/monster_prom?as=1649904300
A mediocre visual novel with little gameplay and cutesy anime cartoon visuals.

Looks like one of those flash games from the early 2000s.

https://af.gog.com/game/princess_evangile_w_happiness?as=1649904300
Anime dating sims featuring schoolgirls. Who even cares about this shit, these things barely have any gameplay.

Besides barely qualifying as a computer game, this crock of shit costs $35 and has an audience about as wide as an angstrom. Amazing combination.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom