Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the best games of all time

Jason Liang

Arcane
This is dumb. By this definition Darkest Dungeon is not an rpg so it can make the list since it didn't make our top 100 poll (even though it should have).

Jason Liang

Arcane
This is dumb. By this definition Darkest Dungeon is not an rpg so it can make the list since it didn't make our top 100 poll (even though it should have).

Sure it can, but it's a shit game so it won't make the top 50.
... there are maybe 3 actual rpgs that should even have a chance of making a legit top 50.

What about World of Warcraft

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
Look. Do you guys really want to do this?

I'm making the thread.

for chrissakes
Really douche move. I want to do this, but these things take time and planning, otherwise they get no visibility and just become a thread about people discussing the voting system. Just like the thread you made.

Don't worry about it, oldfags and core members are waiting for your poll, and we're glad you are willing to put in the effort to do it right.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I'm thinking this should be two polls: one for Legacy games and one for Modern games. Not sure where the cutoff should be, probably somewhere between 2005-2010. For example GTA: San Andreas would be in the Legacy list while GTA V would be in the modern list. Legacy would focus on innovation and influence, while Modern would focus on production and vision.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Because of fancy graphixx, Ctrl+F doesn't work on the Top 101 RPGs article. Here's a more user-friendly list (maybe include it in the vote thread felipepepe ?)
Planescape: Torment
Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Fallout 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Deus Ex
Gothic II
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Age of Decadence
Dark Souls
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Jagged Alliance 2
The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
Underrail
Gothic
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords
Baldur's Gate
Wizardry 8
Neverwinter Nights 2
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
System Shock 2
Icewind Dale
Betrayal at Krondor
Pool of Radiance
Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut
Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Ultima VII: The Black Gate
Divinity: Original Sin
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
The Witcher
Ultima Underworld I: The Stygian Abyss
ELEX
Mount & Blade: Warband
Might and Magic IV-V: World of Xeen
The Temple of Elemental Evil
Realms of Arkania II: Star Trail
Dragon Age: Origins
ATOM RPG: Post-apocalyptic indie game
Pillars of Eternity
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
Wizardry I: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
Darklands
Battle Brothers
Alpha Protocol
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
NieR: Automata
King of Dragon Pass
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Dark Souls II
Arx Fatalis
Knights of the Chalice
Elminage: Gothic
Mass Effect
Dark Souls III
Dungeon Master
Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor
Anachronox
Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga
Kenshi
Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World
Icewind Dale II
Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
Diablo 2
Neverwinter Nights
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Sengoku Rance
Diablo
NEO Scavenger
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
Prey
Geneforge
Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters
Expedition: Vikings
Wasteland
Drakensang: River of Time
Space Rangers: HD
Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok
Tales of Maj'Eyal (ToME)
Wasteland 2
Divine Divinity
Gothic 3
Realms of Arkania I: Blade of Destiny
Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds
Undertale
Tyranny
Might and Magic X: Legacy
Ultima VI: The False Prophet
Lords of Xulima
Pools of Darkness
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Wizards & Warriors

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Meh, there are simply too many good games to choose from. I think a separate top list of strategy games and another of adventures would have been better.

I do prefer genre lists, but I actually found it pretty easy to nail out my 20 games. Granted I mainly stick to a few genres outside of RPGs (immersive sims, stealth, point and click adventure). If you play literally every genre like some people do then it would be a lot harder I guess. Keeping it PC only helps though.

Dramart

Learned
Meh, there are simply too many good games to choose from. I think a separate top list of strategy games and another of adventures would have been better.
The problem with that is that I don't think lot of people are into strategy games, or most of other genre. The only one as popular as RPG I can think of is FPS. Or maybe horror games.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I have to concur with the previous bunch of posters; the sheer scope of the poll feels daunting and potentially clusterfucky. I would have preferred a somewhat narrower focus, e.g. further restrictions by genre, age, whatevs. Nonetheless I'm looking forward to the final result.

/e: what I initially perceived as merely a daunting task turns into almost an impossible one for me. There are simply to many games I personally consider worthy to chose from and narrow down into one single list :lol:

Last edited:

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
3 Points:
FTL: Faster Than Light (2012)

Didn't we have FTL in the RPG voting lists?

Despite what the Hivemind wants you to believe, some games' RPG tags are open to interpretation. Another example would be Jagged Alliance 2 with it's heavy focus on squad-based-tactics gameplay elements. Murky waters wait to be navigated as delicious drama surely shall unfold during the course of the voting process.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
3 Points:
FTL: Faster Than Light (2012)

Didn't we have FTL in the RPG voting lists?

Despite what the Hivemind wants you to believe, some games' RPG tags are open to interpretation. Another example would be Jagged Alliance 2 with it's heavy focus on squad-based-tactics gameplay elements. Murky waters wait to be navigated as delicious drama surely shall unfold during the course of the voting process.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. By the way, FTL was in the Age of Incline RPG vote:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ine-rpg-codexs-2012-2016-goty-results.113518/

And probably in the GOTY when it came out in 2014.

Humanophage

Arcane
You mean Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic?
Yes, I don't really see the difference between the two to justify counting them as separate games. Shadow Magic is more like an add-on or an enhanced edition. It's just really some weird marketing.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
By the way, octavius, System Shock is in the RPG lists, so you cannot vote for it. See Rule 2 in the OP there.

Lemming42

Arcane
By the way, octavius, System Shock is in the RPG lists, so you cannot vote for it. See Rule 2 in the OP there.

The OP says that you can't vote for anything that made the Top 101. That surely means things that actually appear on the final list, rather than just games that people nominated in the voting thread.

felipepepe, help.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom