Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the best games of all time

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is a no surprise,the codex does have really shit taste when it comes to non RPGs :lol:

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I take issue with the wholesale exclusion of console games. It's unfair to old games. Current consoles are custom PCs with a proprietary OS and as a result virtually all games are now multiplatform. Plus, many old console games are out of print and unavailable digitally, so the best chance they have of ever getting played is through PC emulation.

It would be best to only exclude console games that are actually not playable on PC at all or only via emulators with low accuracy (thus not fully representative of the real hardware experience).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Jason Liang

Arcane
I take issue with the wholesale exclusion of console games. It's unfair to old games. Current consoles are custom PCs with a proprietary OS and as a result virtually all games are now multiplatform. Plus, many old console games are out of print and unavailable digitally, so the best chance they have of ever getting played is through PC emulation.

It would be best to only exclude console games that are actually not playable on PC at all or only via emulators with low accuracy (thus not fully representative of the real hardware experience).
Many "classic" console games are available on Steam either standalone or a part of a collection package. Not sure if that is in the "spirit" of no console, since I have no idea what the actual rationale is. Also many games were either originally arcade or have mobile ports (say on Android), which are also technically "non-console".

The only serious game being excluded is Breath of the Wild.

Falksi

Arcane
One of the reasons I see the PC as the ultimate gaming machine is because of how much it lends itself to emulation & old school gaming on the likes of Steam too. To ignore the old school classics is, to me, neutering the PC of one of it's significantly positive gaming assets.

I recently bought "Megadrive Classics" for the PS4, but only to play the missus or mates on. Every time it's just me playing those games I do it on PC and always have. It's just better.

Last edited:

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex

Many "classic" console games are available on Steam either standalone or a part of a collection package. Not sure if that is in the "spirit" of no console, since I have no idea what the actual rationale is. Also many games were either originally arcade or have mobile ports (say on Android), which are also technically "non-console".

Technically, you could vote for the Mega Man Legacy Collection or the SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics (both are on Steam) but not individual games in those collections (?!). It's weird

Jason Liang

Arcane

Technically, you could vote for the Mega Man Legacy Collection or the SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics (both are on Steam) but not individual games in those collections (?!). It's weird
You could argue for a compilation of one continuous series like Mega Man or D&D Mystara, but voting for the entire Mega Drive compilation is just filthy cheating. I picked out Ecco from that, and am still considering adding Gain Ground as well (although that has an Arcade original).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

This has been a mainly PC focused site for more than the decade I've been here, so the reasoning here isn't that hard to understand. I'm glad you and your anime avatar enjoy console gaming, and feel free to make your "best console games of all time" thread, but I'm glad this list is PC focused since most here are or traditionally have been.

As for emulation, I'd say if it doesn't have a native PC version it doesn't count. Otherwise "PC only" would have practically no meaning.

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
3 points:
Evil Genius (2004, Elixir Studios). Aesthetics and overall design are just excellent. The only decent "successor" of DK that I know of.
You really ought to try:
(gog link here)
if you haven't already. Evil Genius was a lot of fun (nearly made my list) but Startopia is by far the best game out there that is in the spirit of Dungeon Keeper while still being it's own thing and was made by former Bullfrog developers.
It holds up fairly well today for a 3D game from 2001. Even has support for widescreen resolutions from what I remember.

And kudos for a great list btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

archiloque

Barely Literate
Hello everyone. This is a pretty great way to get game recommendations from like-minded people. Weirdly absent from these lists are 3 games that I think many people here might like (esp people who like story heavy mystery/adventure games, but my list also includes Freespace 2, Crusader Kings 2, and Spec Ops: The Line), and the last one didn't sell very well on PC. So I created an account just to recommend these 3 games:

1) Danganronpa - Trigger Happy Havoc (5pts for me) : a modern, surreal take on "and then there were none" with brilliant variations on classic mystery tropes, the best whodunit I know on PC
2) Unheard (3 points in my list) : the best investigation game I have ever played, bar none, one which actually relies on the player's intellect to solve the cases with unique gameplay based on sound, plus it's dirt cheap
3) 428 : Shibuya Scramble (1 pt) : the weirdest "realistic" visual novel mystery, with branching/interwoven plot lines, phenomenal writing, and a succession of clever plot twists, set in contemporary Tokyo

Last edited:

Terenty

Liturgist
Alone in the dark 2008 is pure incline. A bit of getting used to the controls and you are in for one of the best adventures out there.

This is what Uncharted and modern Tomb Raider games would have been if their developers had any talent whatsoever

Reality

Learned
I've been thinking about it and I'll probably remove Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, because it isn't made for Keyboard and there'll probably be a console games of all time in the future.

I guess it's time to back a horse in the cinematic platformer race - Prince of Persia, Another World, Flashback, or Abe's Odyssey.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A lot of people seem to be forgetting that the Jagged Alliance series apparently don't count as RPGs ...

EDIT: Not my fault these punks make their lists in non-searchable text

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom