Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of The Best VR Games

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Monster Hunter World (vorpX)
Fallout New Vegas (vorpX)
Dragon's Dogma (vorpX)
Skyrim Requiem mod (vorpX)
Resident Evil 7 (native)
Whole Wii library via Dolphin with its native SBS mode (VorpX)
I've never used a VR set save for a cheap Android phone VR unit my sister had and a crappy Shark Tank sim, so is this "vorpX" stuff basically non-VR games made to look VR by making them fully 3D with a 360 degree FOV using a VR set?

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I got 80 hours clogged in on Pavlov and id say i am above average. Its important to activate the virtual gunstock or you wont hit jack shit. Reloading is a matter of simple pattern recognition. You pull your mag with a different button than pulling your sidegear so you cant even "missclick" on that one and reloading is just a matter of knowing your weapon. The rest is just applying your Counter Strike skills to the game. Theres a youtuber named Yellowhat who uploaded a few useful guides on weapon handling, corner peaking etc if you want to get a little sweaty.

The thing about VR is that any game that uses the medium decently basically becomes an immersive sim. Don't pass on something like Pavlov because it's "just Counter Strike in VR". Think about what that actually entails. Crowbcat's video does a good job showcasing what I mean.
Pressing R on your keyboard is a hell of a lot different than actually reloading in a firefight.
Yeah, it's fucking annoying. Especially when you go to grab some ammo and pull something else out, then once you manage to get the ammo, grab some random part of the gun and flip it around instead of putting the fucking magazine in. Like holy hell how many marines have died because they grabbed the front of their gun and turned it around whilst dropping the new magazine instead of putting the fucking magazine in the gun.

Well stop being a Klutz then. There is zero clunkiness to reloading or grabbing your weapon once you get the hang of controls.
But that is not really true with current VR controls. I still accidentally grab anything stored near my waist if I hold my hands down and I often drop stuff that I do not intend to drop. In resting position my hands tend to close a little and I am holding another gun i did not intend to grab again.

Are you using the valve knuckles by chance? I've briefly used them and remember being annoyed with them grabbing things when they shouldn't and vice versa since implementation of fingertracking is a hit and miss for many vr games from smaller dev studios who cannot afford to optimize for a control scheme used by only a fraction of the playerbase.

It is why i prefer the Quest touch controllers. They just work without any hassle. Yes they lack fingertracking but i've never seen any vr game where thats not just a gimmick without any meaningful gameplay applications. I hope Valve's next headset will come with a pair of cheaper, more barebones touch-esque controllers.
Completely forgot to reply to this, yes I am using Index controllers. Since I started dabbling in game development myself I have noticed that the problem is software related as Unreal Engine counts only 'grab touch' and 'grab force' as inputs or something. Doing something more complicated like a tiny bit of force for grabbing items from slots like would be necessary, requires more tinkering with the logic I guess.

Poseidon00

Arcane
My theory as to why there aren't any good games largely boils down to: Everyone is so obsessed with the immersive nature of the medium, they completely forget to actually design a good game on top of it. Besides, VR is such a tiny market already, you don't want to further alienate people by making your game challenging, engaging or fun

I have made similar criticisms, every VR game I consider enjoyable and good has the length of a demo or first chapter to a proper game. We are still awaiting the title that is going to give VR the treatment that it deserves. Then again I play RPGs, which isn't exactly the first thing most would think of when you think VR. If you are a horror or a first-person shooter fan, you already have multiple great games to choose from.

My theory as to why there aren't any good games largely boils down to: Everyone is so obsessed with the immersive nature of the medium, they completely forget to actually design a good game on top of it. Besides, VR is such a tiny market already, you don't want to further alienate people by making your game challenging, engaging or fun

I have made similar criticisms, every VR game I consider enjoyable and good has the length of a demo or first chapter to a proper game. We are still awaiting the title that is going to give VR the treatment that it deserves. Then again I play RPGs, which isn't exactly the first thing most would think of when you think VR. If you are a horror or a first-person shooter fan, you already have multiple great games to choose from.
I guess, to be more charitable, VR still isn't taken seriously by most large companies (despite their constant talking about the metaverse), so they aren't willing to actually put money into developing a proper length, polished VR title. Valve seem to be the only ones willing to do this, and they are renowned for barebones, barely functional gameplay (at least from the Half-Life 2 era onwards, even though I like Half-Life 2).

Contrary to popular belief, the modern incarnation of indie developers are not the panacea that is going to save gaming. Despite good intentions, making a game of a reasonable size with a decent amount of polish still requires money, which many indie studios don't have, so we're stuck with demo-length games until a big company starts pumping money into VR. Lets just hope they care about gameplay, and we don't just get garbage VR shooters every year. Then again, even bad game companies occasionally shit out good quality content every so often (Bethesda Softworks being the major exception to this rule).

If we do see a really good VR game, it will probably be from a subsidiary of an industry giant. A company like Arkane (although I don't think Arkane has really any interest in VR at all at this point), or Respawn - basically a company that is owned by the devil and has access to money, but which is given enough freedom to actually make good stuff occasionally.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Until You Fall has the best sword combat i've seen in VR, for sure. An axe feels heavier in your hand than a dagger, as much as they can simulate that. Enemies will try to combo you like in a proper fighter and you try to parry, move out of range physically, or use a dash that has a cooldown to prevent spam. It responds slower to your swings, has more weight behind hits, its great. The parrying gimmick is nice but would be even better if you could turn cues off. Dodging and weaving should play a bigger part and not just be a boss gimmick. Other than that, no complaints.

Just make a good RPG already, goshdangit

I'm going to push for Pavlov as one of my favourites. They're adding new modes all the time. You have Push which is basically Battlefield VR. You have the normal mode which is like CS. And you have discord zoomer shit like Trouble in Terroist Town. There are also survival maps that work like Horde mode. And the modding community is insane. There are ported Halo maps with working player models, guns, sound effects and vehicles. Shooting some fools with a shotgun in the passenger seat of the Warthog is incredibly fun.

I'd say Blade & Sorcery is very close to being good. But it's trying too hard to be a melee sandbox arena when what it really needs is more dungeons. It has great Immersive Sim mechanics. And Immersive Sims in general really come alive in VR. We need more of those built with VR in mind.

Also Iron Rebellion and Vox Machinae are both excellent VR mech sims with full cockpit controls using your VR controllers. Wonderfully immersive and great fun.

Working on it

I've never used a VR set save for a cheap Android phone VR unit my sister had and a crappy Shark Tank sim, so is this "vorpX" stuff basically non-VR games made to look VR by making them fully 3D with a 360 degree FOV using a VR set?

Pretty much. Depending on the game it gives very mixed results, and even in the best cases is usually a pretty terrible experience. It's also proprietary garbage you have to pay for.

I wouldn't recommend using it under any circumstances.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

Exists. Asgard's Wrath. Full on, full length VR RPG and its quite good. A one of its kind unfortunately because of all the reasons mentioned above. There are some other one-off shorter RPG-lite fair like The Wizards: Dark Times the second game is superior to the first game. Chronos, In Death, Tales of Glory, also serviceable RPGs that are VR Native.

Delphik

You niggers should try Half-Life 2 in VR. It's amazing.

After trying Half Life 2: VR Mod I feel really disappointed by the VR space in general, it felt good playing that game even though I did not enjoy it that much through PC.
Sometimes it felt clunky but it's actually good and it shows how underwhelming VR games have been if a PC game converted to VR controls can be that fun, if you told me this mod was made by Valve I would have believed you.
I recommend at least trying it.

Fargus

Arcane
So far i'm having a blast with it. Yes, it does feel like it was made by real pros. Most games i've seen for VR sadly are casual trash or arenas, very handful of games that are actually worth it. But converting older pc games to make them fully enjoyable in VR is a whole different story. I mean i love original HL2 but i never had that much fun with it before as i have with this mod. I haven't even bothered to play HL Alyx yet. Entire Ravenholm feels like survival horror game, you even feel the atmosphere differently than before. And the shootouts with combine forces, when you blind fire an SMG from a cover or manually reload you handgun are cool as fuck. Whole new level of immersion.

There are quite a few pc games with vr support actually and i dont mean vorpx. There are Doom 3 VR, RtCW VR mod, HL1 VR, Resident Evil 4 VR version being sold on noseberg store, Resident Evil 2 remake has VR mod maybe some other RE games. Some autistic retard even made a Morrowind VR support for open MW with floating hands and shit.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Resident Evil 7 VR is also a great experience. Better than the PSVR version. You need to do some fiddling to get it working right though.

Last edited:

Delphik

So far i'm having a blast with it. Yes, it does feel like it was made by real pros. Most games i've seen for VR sadly are casual trash or arenas, very handful of games that are actually worth it. But converting older pc games to make them fully enjoyable in VR is a whole different story. I mean i love original HL2 but i never had that much fun with it before as i have with this mod. I haven't even bothered to play HL Alyx yet. Entire Ravenholm feels like survival horror game, you even feel the atmosphere differently than before. And the shootouts with combine forces, when you blind fire an SMG from a cover or manually reload you handgun are cool as fuck. Whole new level of immersion.

There are quite a few pc games with vr support actually and i dont mean vorpx. There are Doom 3 VR, RtCW VR mod, HL1 VR, Resident Evil 4 VR version being sold on noseberg store, Resident Evil 2 remake has VR mod maybe some other RE games. Some autistic retard even made a Morrowind VR support for open MW with floating hands and shit.
Morrowind VR didn't really feel that good to me, it's enjoyable with friends (So does every single game) if you use TES3MP

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I haven't even bothered to play HL Alyx yet.

Far and away the most immersive VR experience by a very large margin. Sadly, as others have said it sits in a lonely place since most VR games are shovelware garbage and tech demos. But you are really doing yourself a disservice by not playing that game its the gold standard for what VR should be but rarely is. Walking Dead Saints & Sinners, and Asgard's Wrath get honorable mention as well.

Fargus

Arcane
I haven't even bothered to play HL Alyx yet.

Far and away the most immersive VR experience by a very large margin. Sadly, as others have said it sits in a lonely place since most VR games are shovelware garbage and tech demos. But you are really doing yourself a disservice by not playing that game its the gold standard for what VR should be but rarely is. Walking Dead Saints & Sinners, and Asgard's Wrath get honorable mention as well.

I will after HL2 mod. :salute:

Asgard's Wrath looks cool as hell, it sucks i can't buy it or RE4 VR due to region lock, so i will have to try the pirated versions instead.

illuknisaa

Cipher
I've played serious sam 1 and 2 and I think both of them are pretty great in vr. They often go on sale and run well. Having 2 guns is a fun gimmick and the scale of various environments and monsters is worth experiencing.

Fargus

Arcane
Finished HL Alyx. And i must say... HL2 VR feels superior in everything except visuals and some mechanics lol. Feels less constrained. And it was far more stable for me too. My pc restarted during HL Alyx at least once, ive been thrown back to the oculus start screen multiple times and had some other shenanigans. None of that shit with HL2 VR. Most importantly HL2 is already great and time tested game that's been fully adapted for VR and it breathes new life into it.

But in general HL Alyx was an enjoyable experience. It is indeed a good VR game, not a tech demo, not shovelware. It looks very nice. It's immesive, well as much as you can get immersed into a game where protag is a woman that talks, talks and talks during gameplay.

There are things i disliked of course. Only 3 gunshopw roewur ne The pace even considering this is a VR game is too much of a crawl (to avoid motion sickness or something?). There is constant junk scavenge that slows you down, sure it's cool to flip resin like a jedi but gets old. Annoying minigames that outstay their welcome half way through the game is one of the worst things. From time to time i had the impression that i'm playing a female protagonist walking sim lol.

An interesting thing that a lot of the time the game feels like survival horror lol. The Jeff part especially is something straight outta RE game. I consider it positive.

Post credits scene made me hard though. God, i hate Valve, fucking cockteases. Just had to dupe the fans again into believing there will be HL3. Sadistic fucks.

Delphik

I got Legendary Tales since its the last sale they'll ever do and tried it Co-op with a friend, my thoughts:
I have never appreciated Blade and Sorcery combat satisfaction until now, despite having different enemies in Legendary Tales they don't feel "fleshy" if that's a word, stabbing someone in B&S feels really fucking good and Legendary Tales just doesn't have that.
One thing I really liked is parrying is actually viable in it, since the animations are not dynamic you can tell where a swing is coming and you can parry, I could never do that in B&S at least consistently, the weapons feel fine but could be done better, I chose to dual wield two swords, I haven't tried magic but from what I have seen it's ok and not as creative as B&S.
Now let's talk about loot, loot is your typical ARPG bonuses that usually don't make sense and are randomized, if you kill an enemy you get a random "crystal" if you smash a weapon pops out, you can get uncommon or rare or legendary crystals which means the weapon will have more stats but that's about it, nothing really special.
Co-op felt okay, no interaction between players and whoever smashes the loot crystal keeps the weapon, you can go back to the hub and give your friend the weapon by dropping it in the fountain in the middle and that's it.
Overall I would rate the game if you're playing solo: :3/5:, it's ok but nothing special or revolutionary and with Co-op its actually enjoyable.

In other news I'm really excited about the "New World" update for it, they'll add quests, smithing, and switch to UE5 and other improvements which all seem like a positive, I would say definitely pick this game up if you have a friend to play with and you can run it.

Data4

Arcane
Elite Dangerous was pretty cool in VR. That's about the only game I played on my Rift before I decided it was too much of a PITA to set up again after I moved.

Inconceivable

Learned
Beyond the obvious aforementioned HL:Alyx, Lone Echo, and Saints & Sinners, modded Skyrim VR with some essential VR modds like HIGGS, VRIK and Be Seated is probably one of the best VR games you can play right now.
Other than that, some of my most played games are:
- Until You Fall
- Pistol Whip
- Ragnarök
Which are great in short, controlled bursts, and over time will make you loose some of that belly fat, you fatty!

Other highlights that make great use of VR controls are
- Green Hell VR
- Into the Radius
- The Exorcist, Legion VR (shit your pants)
- Warhammer 40K Battle Sister

Just a few minutes experience, but still worth it:
- Conscious Existence - A Journey Within
- The Blu

Other great stuff:
- Google Earth VR
- GORN
- House of the Dying Sun
- Narcosis
- Virtual Virtual Reality
- VTOL VR
- Ultrawings (1 & 2)

Stuff I haven't tried yet but looks great:
- Compound
- Vertigo 1 & 2
- Blade and Sorcery

Fargus

Arcane
My top so far:

HL2 and episodes in VR. Gold standart for me even if graphics is outdated and object interaction is not as advanced as in HL Alyx. This is what i expect, intense action where you struggle but have fun, quality campaign, manual realoading etc. Already great experience is only enhanced by VR. Try it you can't go wrong.

TWD Saints and Sinners. Very atmospheric and interactive, chopping zombies, bulldykes and hipsters in apocalypse is a great past time. Looks like sequel was rushed and judging by how slowly the devs go about fixing it you might forget it exists for the next few months or a year.

HL ALyx. I like it less than HL2VR but still a good game. Try Gunman Contracts mods for it.

Blade and Sorcery - Good workout game or an entertaining for sadists. You can mod it to have even more brutal combat. Interior with a lot of space is a must if you want to avoid damaging your stuff and hands lol.

Into the Radius - Stalker-like for VR. Very difficult, very slow paced, sometimes tedious, i raged like mad man at but finished the game. Great atmosphere and exploration. Minimalistic story. But dont expect a cakewalk this is the kind of game where you manually load bullets into every magazine and waste hours on stuff like that repeatedly. Also enemies feel like rip off from Prey mimics 2017.

RE4 VR - Had a blast with it. But i wish pro difficulty was available from the start, because when you get good at the game it feels like Keanu Reeves simulator. But def. a must play. One of the best for VR.

Honorable mentions:

Morrowind VR - Works only for openmw. I haven't played it that much to add to my top but seems very fun. Def. makes it more immersive, mwse scripting doesn't work with openmw sadly so you can't use amazing mods like Ashfall.

Modded Skyrim VR - Again the only reason its not in my top is because i haven't played this much yet. But from what i've seen its a must, just look at the kind of gameplay enhancement mods it has. You can grab people or play as werewolf in VR.

RtCW VR (Dr Beef) - You can't see your hands and no manual reload but the action is solid otherwise.

Doom 3 VR (Dr Beef) - play on hard, because of already slow paced nature of doom 3, easier vr targeting with one hand and ability to use both gun and flashlight, as well as usage of covers D3VR becomes a shooting range on easier difficulties. No manual reload sadly.

Quake 2 VR (DR Beef) - it's fast paced but manageable. Try it if you like to experience Q2 in VR.

Dead Effect 2 VR simple shooting game that is good for what it is.

Hard Bullet - Fun arena shooting type of game. Wish it was more than that though.

Compound VR - Fun and polished but frustrating rogue like nature made me lose interest. If you like rogue likes and ok with wasting time on same shit try it.

District Steel - Action where you can slide and slow down time. It's in early access but feels very polished. Huge potential in this one.

Immortal Legacy: Jade Cypher - An ok simplistic shooter.

Karnage Chronicles - In the absense of Arx Fatalis VR mod which i hope someone makes one day this will have to do.

Blood Trail - Sadistic fun, but i doubt this game will ever be finished. Good to waste a few hours mutilating crackheads.

Battle Sister - A decent shooter\action game but with many technical and gameplay issues. Suffers from low budget and lack of polishing.

Moss Book 1 (i have 2 but havent played it to recommend)

The games i want to play sometime in the future:
Amid Evil VR (release in few days)
Paradox of Hope
Sairento
Thief Simulator VR
Dungeone Knight VR
Vengeful Rites
Tracery of Fate
Wanderer
The Exorcist
The Wizard dilogy
Half Life 1 VR mod (when its finished)
Boneworks
Green Hell
The exorcist
Modded Fallout 4 vr
Phantom Covert Ops
Asgards Wrath
Arktika 1
Espire 1-2
Wanderer
Lonn
RE 2 and 7 VR mods
Green Hell
Song in the Smoke
Jedi Academy and Outcast for VR (Team Beef)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom