Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Good Old Games
Donate to Codex
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
7,361
Hello! I'm man/woman/tranny who is old gamer/never played computer games. And I played Oblivion/Diablo/Tetris/Minesweeper. What I should play next?

My personal list, included only games what I played myself, may forgot several titles and don't mention hybrids except Bloodnet. You almost can't be wrong with the first part of this list.

Goldboxes (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness, Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn, Dark Queen of Krynn, Gateway to the Savage Frontier,Treasures of the Savage Frontier,Buck Rogers: Countdown for Doomsday, Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed)

Wizardry 6, Wizardry 7, Wizardry 8
Knights of the Chalice
Disciples of Steel
Prelude to Darkness
Realms of Arkania, Realms of Arkania 2, Realms of Arkania 3
Arena, Daggerfall
Dark Heart of Uukrul
Darksun, Darksun 2
Might and Magic 1-8
The Summoning
Aethra Chronicles
Geneforge 1-5
Exile 1-3
Arcanum
Planescape: Torment
Eye of the Beholder 1-3
Lands of Lore
Anvil of Dawn
Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate 2
Fallout, Fallout 2
Bloodnet
Wasteland
Dragon Wars
Legacy: Realm of Terror
Magic Candle II: The Four and Fourty
Betrayal at Krondor
Nahlakh
Darklands
Aleshar
Ultima 4, Ultima 6, Ultima 7
Ultima Underworld, Ultima Underworld 2
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Roguelikes:
Ancient Domains of Mystery
Troubles of Middle Earth 2.3.5
sCthAngband



BUT I PLAYED ALL OF THIS!!! GIVE ME MORE GAMES!

OK. But some of them are shitty.

Avernum 4, Avernum 5
Thunderscape
Wizardry 1, Wizardry 4
Yendorian Tales 2, Yendorian Tales 3
Dungeon Master, Dungeon Master 2
Obitus
Warriors of the Eternal Sun
Wizard!
DarkSpyre
Shadow of Yserbius, The Fates of Twinion, The Ruins of Cawdor
The Faery Tale Adventure
Shadowrun (SEGA version), Shadowrun (SNES)
Neuromancer
Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception
SpellCraft: Aspects of Valor
Eschalon Book I,Eschalon Book II
Bard's Tale: Tales of the Unknown
Nethergate
Megatraveller 2
Soulbringer
Stonekeep
Twilight 2000

***** Other Resources ******

MMXI's New and improved list of decent to must play cRPGs

Bruticis' cRPG Master List
 
Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
1,871,168

Luigi

Barely Literate
Joined
Jan 21, 2011
Messages
428
Shitty list.

Sort by year. Add description why it is canon.
 

larpingdude18

Educated
Joined
May 28, 2009
Messages
567
Location
Alefgard
The Spirit Engine 2
Eartbound & Mother 3
Breath of Fire II - IV
Anvil of Dawn
Terranigma
Xenogears
Rogue Galaxy
ZELDA!!!
Lufia II
Baten Kaitos
Live A Live
Suikoden II
Grandia
Chrono Trigger
The Phantasy Star series
Dragon Warrior III - IX
Final Fantasy VI & IX
Vagrant Story
The World Ends With You
Secret Of Mana
Super Mario RPG
Dark Cloud 2
Morrowind
Skies of Arcadia
 

chzr

Scholar
Joined
Jun 26, 2010
Messages
1,238
Shitty list.

Joined: 21 Jan 2011

trollface.png





where the fuck is jagged alliance 2? :rpgcodex:
 

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Joined
Jan 7, 2003
Messages
27,918
The list IS shit (Anvil of Dawn? Baldur's Gate? All Geneforge games?), but the idea is good.

The Codex MUST compile a list of must-play games, essential games that must be experienced by every RPG fan (for reasons other than it looks very pretty, which is probably the only reason to play BG).

I think that it's a great opportunity for the staff (DU? VoD?) to pen a one of a kind article (goes without saying that it should be more than a list of names; each name should be accompanied by a few paragraphs explaining what this game is doing on the list), but everyone can contribute and provide names and reasons. Screenshots would be a nice bonus.
 

Nael

Arcane
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Messages
11,379
Location
Indy
Vault Dweller said:
The list IS shit (Anvil of Dawn? Baldur's Gate? All Geneforge games?), but the idea is good.

The Codex MUST compile a list of must-play games, essential games that must be experienced by every RPG fan (for reasons other than it looks very pretty, which is probably the only reason to play BG).

I think that it's a great opportunity for the staff (DU? VoD?) to pen a one of a kind article (goes without saying that it should be more than a list of names; each name should be accompanied by a few paragraphs explaining what this game is doing on the list), but everyone can contribute and provide names and reasons. Screenshots would be a nice bonus.

"Games Worth Playing: Into the Hivemind"
 

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
7,361
chzr said:
where the fuck is jagged alliance 2?
No hybrids rule. :M

Anvil of Dawn?
Very pretty little game, especially good for novices in genre.

Baldurs Gate?
Besides stupid combat, it was first game with specialist wizards, weapon proficiencies and so on. Faithful AD&D 2ed adaptation. Should I say more?
Yes, it was boring, but I knew guy who completed it 5 times. To each his own, I guess.

Geneforges? First was the best, third was the worst, but they are completely interchangeable on the first glance. You may start with any game in the series, but better with first.


And I thought what would be bashed because my list missed Ultima 7. Oh Codex...
 

bhlaab

Arbiter
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
1,787
Vault Dweller said:
The list IS shit (Anvil of Dawn? Baldur's Gate? All Geneforge games?), but the idea is good.

The Codex MUST compile a list of must-play games, essential games that must be experienced by every RPG fan (for reasons other than it looks very pretty, which is probably the only reason to play BG).

I think that it's a great opportunity for the staff (DU? VoD?) to pen a one of a kind article (goes without saying that it should be more than a list of names; each name should be accompanied by a few paragraphs explaining what this game is doing on the list), but everyone can contribute and provide names and reasons. Screenshots would be a nice bonus.

I will reiterate my stance on a rating system for the main page's game database
 

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
3,811
Location
Frown Town
Fowyr said:
Baldurs Gate?
Besides stupid combat, it was first game with specialist wizards, weapon proficiencies and so on. Faithful AD&D 2ed adaptation. Should I say more?
Yes, it was boring, but I knew guy who completed it 5 times. To each his own, I guess.

The New Shit Codex played BG series 7 times until realising they were shit. This is pretty standard, but it doesn't mean they aren't shit after you realised they were shit. It's like listening to bad music when you're a teenager, you don't go on your way to say it's good music because you liked it when you didn't know anything better
 

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Joined
Jan 7, 2003
Messages
27,918
Fowyr said:
Anvil of Dawn?
Very pretty little game, especially good for novices in genre.
It's a decent action game with a few interesting elements, but hardly a must-play game. I can think of any strong cons that would put it on that list.

Baldurs Gate?
Besides stupid combat, it was first game with specialist wizards, weapon proficiencies and so on. Faithful AD&D 2ed adaptation. Should I say more?
Yes, you should because so far you haven't said much. A RT "stupid combat" cant be called a faithful adaptation just because you can play a specialist wizard, which isn't that exciting to begin with. Same goes for the proficiencies. I hope we all agree that we need stronger arguments than "it has weapon proficiencies".

Geneforges? First was the best, third was the worst, but they are completely interchangeable on the first glance. You may start with any game in the series, but better with first.
I think that listing the best game in the series would be enough. Some say it's the first, some say it's the fifth. We can listen to the arguments, I suppose.
 

Black Cat

Magister
Joined
Jun 1, 2009
Messages
1,997
Location
Skyrim .///.
Fowyr said:
The Summoning

:love:

Did you play the other ones by Event Horizont? Dark Spyre, not the DS one, and the other one?

You should try Hard Nova and, or, Sentinel Worlds next time you are looking for something to play. The lack of them in your list is easy to notice given your general good taste. Also, have you tried From Software's dungeon crawlers? Like the King's Field games, Shadow Tower, etc?

Fowyr said:
SpellCraft: Aspects of Valor

Which game is this? I remember the name but can't remember the game. :?



That aside, Fowyr is a true Dungeon Crawler. :salute:
 

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
7,361
Vault Dweller said:
Yes, you should because so far you haven't said much. A RT "stupid combat" cant be called a faithful adaptation just because you can play a specialist wizard, which isn't that exciting to begin with.
No, it was very exciting. Charsheet and spellbook was thrilling, until I realized boredom of this game. But for the first two hours I may forgive it.

Vault Dweller said:
Same goes for the proficiencies. I hope we all agree that we need stronger arguments than "it has weapon proficiencies".
Weapon speed, shitton of spells, low-level party, many magic items from DMG, multi-classes, dual classes.

Vault Dweller said:
I think that listing the best game in the series would be enough. Some say it's the first, some say it's the fifth. We can listen to the arguments, I suppose.
Compiling list "best of the best" was not my target. I picked solid and good games from various subgenres, not without flaws, of course. Similar list from one FAQ greatly helped me to find several good games.
But this is may be interesting.
A prelude am I to better players, o my brethren! An example!


Black Cat said:
Did you play the other ones by Event Horizont? Dark Spyre, not the DS one, and the other one?
Yes, finished them all except Dusk of the Gods.
Black Cat said:
You should try Hard Nova and, or, Sentinel Worlds next time you are looking for something to play. The lack of them in your list is easy to notice given your general good taste.
Hm. I heard about Hard Nova, this is not many RPGs with the SF setting, was always intrigued, but skipped this game again and again. How it is? Should try it after Magic Candle.
Black Cat said:
Also, have you tried From Software's dungeon crawlers? Like the King's Field games, Shadow Tower, etc?
Oh, never heard about them. *Googles*
he game was developed by the Japanese game development company From Software, and released December 16, 1994 in Japan.
No wonder ;)

Black Cat said:
SpellCraft: Aspects of Valor
Which game is this? I remember the name but can't remember the game. :?
Game about wizard's apprentice, you may travel back to Earth and in the magic world (can't remember name). 25% of the game - experiments with spell formulas, 75% - real-time battles on the various elemental planes.


Black Cat said:
That aside, Fowyr is a true Dungeon Crawler. :salute:
Thank you.
 

Wolfus

Arcane
Joined
Jan 22, 2011
Messages
2,117
Location
Slovakia
Ok, where the fuck is Amberstar/Ambermoon/Albion?
 

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
16,320
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
chzr said:
Fowyr said:
chzr said:
where the fuck is jagged alliance 2?
No hybrids rule. :M

laptop guy has stats. :rpgcodex:

Where is the laptop in the inventory.

HA!

Obviously all the games on my list in the signature, except qfg5 and morrowind possibly, are must play games.
They represent interesting design approaches of adventure games, while being rather good. QFG5 also represents another, but it's not a as good as QFG4 or QFG2.

Morrowind arguably represents another :trollface:
 

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
16,320
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Speaking of spell based games, did you ever try this:

Worlds%20of%20Legend%20-%20Son%20of%20the%20Empire_1.png


http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/27852 ... mpire.html

I remember trying it once ages and ages ago and being totally
flabbergasted (not in a good way, but it was interesting).

It's another of these diablo likes before diablo and "open world" (that is randomized terrain in battles probably based on a seed of the position + a pseudo random algorithm). In this one you also can create your own spells, though it is a simple properties system (like magika now that i think about it).
 

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Joined
Jan 6, 2008
Messages
1,335
Location
BrizVegas, Australis Penal Colony
So you're saying there's not a single game released this century (or looks like it's from this century - i.e. not indie), that is worth playing??

Me thinks this is just an excercise in KK points...

Anyway, I've got a few from your list I've never heard of to check out, so all's not lost... :salute:
 

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
7,361
AlaCarcuss said:
So you're saying there's not a single game released this century (or looks like it's from this century - i.e. not indie), that is worth playing??
Maybe there is some games, but I not played them. And frankly, unlikely will play. Computer on the Celeron 600 not the best thing for the New Shit (tm). And fuck upgrade. I fervently hate these LPT-less, ISA-less teapots :M :M :M
 
Top Bottom