Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
SCO said:
Fowyr said:
SpellCraft: Aspects of Valor

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/5066/ ... Valor.html

Looks complex.
Pity what battles soon starting become the clusterfuck of travelling spells and summoned creatures. You can't believe how many times I was killed by dispelling my levitation spell on the Air plane. :lol:

Wolfus

Arcane
Missing LPT is pain in the ass, but ISA? What for? And newer computer = faster emulation.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I have a shitton of good ISA devices, and just love this bus. Also old computer = no need for emulation.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
I think that it's a great opportunity for the staff (DU? VoD?) to pen a one of a kind article (goes without saying that it should be more than a list of names; each name should be accompanied by a few paragraphs explaining what this game is doing on the list), but everyone can contribute and provide names and reasons.
Yeah, I had the same thought a few days ago when I noticed these threads popping up. I then went back to working on a problem which will resolve this issue once and for all:

Vault Dweller said:
Screenshots would be a nice bonus.
... but to that end, it may come as a surprise that I've not actually played every RPG on the planet that's ever been released, so I'm looking for people who want to put together a few paragraphs of the games they recommend so I can cut / shut and put something bigger together.

Lists are not helpful. So yeah, if people want to start posting the reasons why we should play certain games, I'll start archiving.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Wolfus said:
Celeron 600 =/= DOS computer/Amiga/C64/Atari ST/Apple II etc.
But I have DOS and proper sound card. For 90% of games it's suffice. If I have problem with speed, error 200 (and can't change two bytes in the exe) and so on, I take my P166MMX or 486DX4-100 which patiently sitting under my desk.

Wolfus

Arcane
I accept your point of view, but for me it's more convenient to have one PC for all platforms.

Black Cat

Magister
Fowyr said:
Game about wizard's apprentice, you may travel back to Earth and in the magic world (can't remember name). 25% of the game - experiments with spell formulas, 75% - real-time battles on the various elemental planes.

Ah, yes, I remember now. I have it somewhere I believe, maybe one of those massive Abandonware game torrents. Thank you for the answer, I'll give it a serious try later.

Fowyr said:
Oh, never heard about them. *Googles*

King's Field and most other From Software games (Shadow Tower, Eternal Ring, etc) are pretty cool if you are into hardcore dungeon crawling, and they are very atmospheric and foreboding little games too. However, they are not classical dungeon crawlers in that they are fully real time and (horribly, the old ones) 3D, and most enemies, even the first ones, can kill you without sweating on it, so combat is much more about your skill than the character's, which mostly defines passive stuff like the damage you do and the damage you receive, etc. Basicaly you explore huge complexes solving puzzles, getting key items, and being thrown into more and more ridiculous battle sequences (in a game in which a battle with two basic guards can mean your doom) without any kind of roleplaying or storyfaggotry getting in the way. The first game's story is, more or less, evil's victory is near, and only the magic sword hidden in the isle of blah blah will save us! But the ship taking you and your companions there is sunk in a terrible storm, and soon after you reach the island, barely alive, you notice the minions of evil have already fortified here! or some shit like that. Think, uhm, Demon's Soul, which is their newest game and kind of a spiritual sequel to the King's Field games, only King's Field is first person, much uglier, and more hardcore.

Fowyr said:
Hm. I heard about Hard Nova, this is not many RPGs with the SF setting, was always intrigued, but skipped this game again and again. How it is?

It is... weird, I guess. I like it, but I kind of understand other people might not. Basicaly, in some things you get lots of options (jeez, you can pick what kind of license your ship is transmiting and which character is piloting, which is using the turrets, etc) but at the same time you get almost no options in other stuff, like how ground combat is mostly your party and the enemies standing there, and you just pick in which enemy you want to focus and then press enter to make your character shoot while your companions shoot and the enemies shoot and people eventually die, you mostly just put their points where you need them and equip them, and hope it's enough. Very much, uhm, dice based.

It has a truckload of exploration, however, and you can win the game without ever visiting many of the places you can visit. On the other hand the game is actually kind of a dumbed down Sentinel Worlds, even if it is awesome as it is, so you may want to play first Hard Nova and then Sentinel Worlds. And the theme song is pretty catchy, if you somehow manage to get the sound running even in DosBox. :3

Since we are talking, uhm, Sci Fi games, have you played The Whale's Voyage? It's pretty cool too, beyond a character creation system I find most horrible because I can't help but re roll shit until my crew's faces are actually not revolting or something.

Fowyr said:
Maybe there is some games, but I not played them.

If you ever get a machine that can emulate a PS2 with a measure of success and don't mind playing with a japanese dictionary (and maybe previous research of the basics of the language) give Hungry Ghosts a try. It's an incredibly atmospheric and scary dungeon crawling game set in the outer layer of the afterlife, since you have just died, and very inspired by different old and not family friendly nor politically correct views on the afterlife. And you are being judged, so the game keeps track of every scripted choice you make and the way you play to define what ending you will be getting and what fate awaits your soul. It's awesome, and obscure as fuck.

And it's scary. Very, very scary. :cry:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Exmit said:
Whoever thinks BG series are shit needs to go throw himself into the pits of sorrow and die
BG was shit. The main feature was the handpainted backgrounds which made the game/series truly beautiful and one of a kind when it comes to graphics. The rest? Crappy RT combat? Dutifully following a linear path devoid of anything resembling an active choice? Dumb "farmboy/girl discovers that he/she is special and has special powers" plot featuring the epic battle between you and retarded assassins who can't kill a lvl 1 character? You fight enemies matching your level, level up, move to the next pretty map, fight tougher enemies, level up, move to the next map, and so on until you beat Sarevok in his fancy "I'm a villain mwahaha" spiked armor.

The Durlag's tower added atmosphere to pretty background, raising the overall quality. BG2 went epic, adding some meaningless choices here and there, which made it a fun action adventure game, kinda like throwing in meaningless choices has made ME2 a neat little shooter. The Throne of Bhaal was a dull linear BG-like game, which completed the circle.

But hey, I'm glad that you've enjoyed it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
DarkUnderlord said:
Vault Dweller said:
... but to that end, it may come as a surprise that I've not actually played every RPG on the planet that's ever been released, so I'm looking for people who want to put together a few paragraphs of the games they recommend so I can cut / shut and put something bigger together.

Lists are not helpful. So yeah, if people want to start posting the reasons why we should play certain games, I'll start archiving.
Naturally. A list compiled by one man is flawed by default. People should submit their lists with detailed (2-3 paragraphs? 200-250 words) explanations of what makes these games must-play. Then the Codex admins will consider the arguments and either dismiss them or accept, adding the games to the list.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Black Cat said:
Hard Nova ... Sentinel Worlds ... Whale's Voyage

Thanks Neko-chan :salute:

Whale's Voyage looks especially good (EDIT: now I remember I actually played it many years ago), but I'll try the other ones too.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Vault Dweller said:
Exmit said:
Whoever thinks BG series are shit needs to go throw himself into the pits of sorrow and die
BG was shit. The main feature was the handpainted backgrounds which made the game/series truly beautiful and one of a kind when it comes to graphics. The rest? Crappy RT combat? Dutifully following a linear path devoid of anything resembling an active choice? Dumb "farmboy/girl discovers that he/she is special and has special powers" plot featuring the epic battle between you and retarded assassins who can't kill a lvl 1 character? You fight enemies matching your level, level up, move to the next pretty map, fight tougher enemies, level up, move to the next map, and so on until you beat Sarevok in his fancy "I'm a villain mwahaha" spiked armor.

The Durlag's tower added atmosphere to pretty background, raising the overall quality. BG2 went epic, adding some meaningless choices here and there, which made it a fun action adventure game, kinda like throwing in meaningless choices has made ME2 a neat little shooter. The Throne of Bhaal was a dull linear BG-like game, which completed the circle.

But hey, I'm glad that you've enjoyed it.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
DarkUnderlord said:
I'm looking for people who want to put together a few paragraphs of the games they recommend
Good idea, but first of all we have to decide exactly what a RPG is before we start slinging shit like Gothic on the list. I propose forming a committee that will decide the shit out of the RPG genre. I also propose that this committee is made up of me and anyone else that is me.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Black Cat said:
Hard Nova
Checked it. Picked a fight in the arena, crashed my hovership in the mountains and travelled back and forth around planet. Indeed this may be interesting game. :lol:
Black Cat said:
The Whale's Voyage? It's pretty cool too, beyond a character creation system I find most horrible because I can't help but re roll shit until my crew's faces are actually not revolting or something.
Same as Hard Nova. Heard many times, but never tried. Oh! I vaguely remember it crashed, but my version probably was corrupted and it was 10 years ago. I will check this game later. Thank you for detailed response. :M

ElectricOtter

DarkUnderlord said:
Vault Dweller said:
I think that it's a great opportunity for the staff (DU? VoD?) to pen a one of a kind article (goes without saying that it should be more than a list of names; each name should be accompanied by a few paragraphs explaining what this game is doing on the list), but everyone can contribute and provide names and reasons.
Yeah, I had the same thought a few days ago when I noticed these threads popping up. I then went back to working on a problem which will resolve this issue once and for all:

Vault Dweller said:

I would be glad to do a short write-up for some of the Geneforge games. Should I PM it to you when I'm finished?

Virtual Vice

Educated
"SoulBringer" needs to be removed from the B class list.

Because shitty doesnt even begin to qualify it. Especially considering that besides being a shitty game, it also probably is the only published game, shitty or not, in which opening and closing an interface panel takes 4-7 seconds.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Andyman Messiah said:
DarkUnderlord said:
I'm looking for people who want to put together a few paragraphs of the games they recommend
Good idea, but first of all we have to decide exactly what a RPG is before we start slinging shit like Gothic on the list. I propose forming a committee that will decide the shit out of the RPG genre. I also propose that this committee is made up of me and anyone else that is me.

laclongquan

Arcane
The Witcher (extended edition)

I am trying this puppy and so far this shit worth playing. The only complaint I have is that it rape my pc's resource pretty hard.

Nearly as much of a surprise as Sengoku Rance, let me tell you.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
In terms of storyfag quality, which (if any) of these games are better than Planescape?

JrK

Prophet
The list of games that require no additional pylons:

-DoomI
-Duke3D
-Thief(any)
-Fallout1
-Darklands
-Xwing, TIEfighter or Xwing-Alliance
-Jagged Alliance2
-Planescape Torment
-Deus Ex
-Dark Messiah oMM

Fuck RPG only.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Sacrifice
Wizardry 7
Ultima 7
Fallout
System Shock or UW
Monkey Island
Civilization
Nethack

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom