Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Everytime I read this list I chuckle to myself when I see any M&M besides World of Xeen making it. The Real-time element of VI-IX completely fucked up the whole series in terms of balance. Everyone has their own guilty pleasure though, I guess.

Well, World of Xeen was so simplistic that it could just as well have been real time. So the real time of MM6+ was just a natural evolution.
Idk man... Complaining about bad combat in M&M is a bit like... complaining about the bad story in ToEE. Or the bad graphics in Knights of the Chalice. Or the lackluster character customisation in Doom.

thexsa

Educated
you're right with that ofc. I was reffering to 6-8.
Ah, yes. The M&M-serie took an unexpected turn for the better with 9. Who could forget.

Either way, I can't really have much fun with blobbers anymore unless I play Wiz6-7. Hopefully Grimoire will give me something new to play.

thexsa

Educated
What about Arx Fatalis, Gothic 1 and 2, Arena, Daggerfall and even Morrowind ? Op's list is going to discourage a lot of neophytes to the genre.

Arena and Daggerfall are included, plus it says personal list, not definitive/ultimate/"IGN-headline #130238"-list.

And despite Gothic 1/2 being viewed as one of the last true good 3d-action-rpg's, a lot of us still think the poor controls ruin all the fun that might've been had. Heck, I am even one of those blasphemers who think Gothic 3 is the only playable Gothic game, with community patch of course, since you can pretty much go anywhere you want right from the start.

thexsa

Educated
I am even one of those blasphemers who think Gothic 3 is the only playable Gothic game

WHY

Never played any of the Gothic games until the third one and a friend introduced me to it with community patch, and I just thought it was sweet as hell because you could join the Orcs and suppress the filthy humans. I always wanted slave labour.

I forgot to add Realms of the Haunting.

Good mention on Dark Heart of Uukrul and Dark Spire.

Also, the original Outcast, now with widescreen support. ;)

Though fun games, Realms of the Haunting, Shadowgate, Azrael's Tear, Soul Reaver, and Outcast are not RPGs. This sticky is in General RPG Discussion for a reason.

da_rays

Augur
Been playing a lot of DOS game lately. Still going on through Albion right now ( neat lil' sci fi rpg, havent seen a lot like it. )

Next on the list is Bureau of Astral Troubleshooters ( B.A.T. for short , and made by Ubisoft huhu )
Celtic tales , Burntime and Pangea : Return to planet earth.

Anyone got a few title that i could try out?

Gold-Box, Darksun , Ultima I-VII and other big classic are rated ''been there, done that'' . Still tempted to drain a few hours/days into Darklands......sigh....Why no more game like that? -_-

That said , I need some neat-o RPG , or dumb ass shit game that worth a look.

only restrain i'm giving you , need to be on DOS. Strategy-RPG-Sim or whatever crazy hybrid are accepted.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Any of these?

Phantasie
Starflight
Star Command
Demon's Winter
Magic Candle
Sword of Aragorn
Knights of Legend
Dragon Wars
Dark Heart of Uukrul
The Legacy: Realm of Terror
Aethra Chronicles
Anvil of Dawn

I've played all of them the past 5 years and enjoyed them enough to finish all of them.

da_rays

Augur
:salute: to you, Codex Arcanes. Putted The Legacy: Realm of Terror , Aethra Chronicles and Sword of aragorn on the list. Realm of terror look very , very nice.

Humm Yendorian tales look good too.

Realms of Arkania maybe?

good try , been there too :) I almost grabbed the remake of RoA , but havent read good things about it.

da_rays

Augur
No biggie Snorkack , mondblut and octavius gave very good titles. Winner for now is Legacy , realm of terror. Look very lovecraftian , and i saw a in game picture with an illithid of some kind ( as a playable character?!? ) , so yeah . SOLD!

Snorkack if you played RoA and liked it , and wanna try a old dos rpg , try Albion. Exploration is 1st person and top down view. Combat is somewhat ''tactical turn based'' . Sci fi flavor, if your into that.

V_K

Arcane
That said , I need some neat-o RPG , or dumb ass shit game that worth a look.

only restrain i'm giving you , need to be on DOS. Strategy-RPG-Sim or whatever crazy hybrid are accepted.

Amberstar (a distant predecessor of Albion)
Aleshar: World of Ice (open-world survival-heavy game in a fantasy ice age setting. visuals might take a little getting uses to though)
The Summoning (isometric single-character Dungeon Master clone with plot, NPCs and even some C&C)
The Four Crystals of Trazere (once again isometric DM-clone but with party, overworld and one of the best spell systems ever)
Son of the Empire (sequel of the above, basically more of the same)
Tunnes&Trolls (what happens when open-world CRPG meets CYOA)

:Flash:

Arcane
Metalizer?
Crazy Strategy hybrid with RPG elements, totally obscure. This is not a recommendation, I never played it. It just came to my mind when reading your post. The creators later made the Gothic series.

Whale's Voyage 1 and 2 for a real RPG?
Shadowlands?

Why was the moved to list of must play games? Obscure games to try out is the opposite of must play.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No biggie Snorkack , mondblut and octavius gave very good titles. Winner for now is Legacy , realm of terror. Look very lovecraftian , and i saw a in game picture with an illithid of some kind ( as a playable character?!? ) , so yeah . SOLD!

Snorkack if you played RoA and liked it , and wanna try a old dos rpg , try Albion. Exploration is 1st person and top down view. Combat is somewhat ''tactical turn based'' . Sci fi flavor, if your into that.
I actually recommended the same to someone else in this very thread one page ago. Yeah, Albions pretty cool.
Hf with Legacy. Loved the setting, hated the gameplay.

mondblut

Arcane
Amberstar (a distant predecessor of Albion)

Ambermoon is the best of the three, too bad it's doesn't qualify being an Amiga exclusive ;) Throw Fate: Gates of Dawn in there while we're there.

Aleshar: World of Ice (open-world survival-heavy game in a fantasy ice age setting. visuals might take a little getting uses to though)

Yeah.

Tunnes&Trolls (what happens when open-world CRPG meets CYOA)

Yeah! Can't believe I forgot to namedrop it. Always goes around together with Aethra and Disciples of Steel in my "top 3 golden age RPGs you've never heard about" list :obviously:

da_rays

Augur
V_K Aleshar: World of Ice is pretty awesome! Little gem in its own way. Need to read that manual like the good old days, no shotcut keys to tell you how to loot ( E : Enter location , G: Loot dead bodies , H: for hunting and M to use your map , when you have one it seem. )

I got various graphics glitch with Aleshar on DOSBOX. 1st game with dosbox that gave me a problem...I'll fiddle with it a bit more.

illithid of some kind ( as a playable character?!? )
Nope, it's mask.

awww , well close enough...still looking good for a game, good thing you can rezize thoses wiindows

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom