Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

gaxel

Literate
I'm looking for a recent old-style, top-down rpg with party and turn-based combat (or with pause), that is not Divinity: OS or Wasteland 2 or Pillar of Eternity... is there something to check?
Possibly not still in development/early access (ie. not Age of Decadence), and not expecting patches/updates in the near future.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm looking for a recent old-style, top-down rpg with party and turn-based combat (or with pause), that is not Divinity: OS or Wasteland 2 or Pillar of Eternity... is there something to check?
Possibly not still in development/early access (ie. not Age of Decadence), and not expecting patches/updates in the near future.
Depending on your definition of recent you might have missed Knights of the Chalice.

You don't have Shadowrun Returns or Shadowrun: Dragonfall on your list.

I know you said not EA, but Serpent in the Staglands is in beta right now and upcoming.

gaxel

Literate
Depending on your definition of recent you might have missed Knights of the Chalice.

You don't have Shadowrun Returns or Shadowrun: Dragonfall on your list.

I know you said not EA, but Serpent in the Staglands is in beta right now and upcoming.

Thanks,
I've already played the Shadowruns (and waiting for Hong Kong), sorry, and I have in wishlist Serpent in the Staglands.... what I'm looking for is a polished rpg that I can play right now. Divinity and Wasteland will receive massive update in the future, PoE is still "young", others are in Early Access... and I was thinking about something with more "modern" look than Knights of the Chalice.

I know that there isn't much, but maybe I'm missing something...

Thanks again.

gaxel

Literate
Lords of Xulima isn't really what I'm looking for (it is however in my wishlist).
Realms of Arkania HD is Blade of Destiny? Because it isn't topdown (wishlisted).

I think I will wait for Divinity to be "completed", and also Wasteland 2 e PoE... I think there isn't much else recent enough (that I haven't played)

Thanks

V_K

Arcane
Technically Blackguards games qualify (your OP said nothing about exploration), but you've probably played the first one already and the secon isn't terribly good from what I've heard.
Other than that you're basically stuck with Vogel's offerings.

gaxel

Literate
I'm afraid too... so, what's the best rpg from SpiderWeb?
I've Avadon: The Black Fortress and Avandon 2 on Steam, but never tried them.
Are they good? Or there are better Vogel's RPG?

Thanks

V_K

Arcane
Unfortunately, about any other Vogel's game is better than Avadons. The best are the Geneforge series (particularyl 1st and 5th), but Avernums are also quite solid if you don't mind the many trash mobs.

gaxel

Literate
Ok, thanks... I will try Avadon, since I have it on the PC.
I also have Blackguards, played a little a while back, so I'll give it another try, but I prefer RPG (or any other genre) where you explore too.
Thanks again

Strandt

Barely Literate
Hello! I'm man/woman/tranny who is old gamer/never played computer games. And I played Oblivion/Diablo/Tetris/Minesweeper. What I should play next?

My personal list, included only games what I played myself, may forgot several titles and don't mention hybrids except Bloodnet. You almost can't be wrong with the first part of this list.

Goldboxes (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness, Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn, Dark Queen of Krynn, Gateway to the Savage Frontier,Treasures of the Savage Frontier,Buck Rogers: Countdown for Doomsday, Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed)

Wizardry 6, Wizardry 7, Wizardry 8
Knights of the Chalice
Disciples of Steel
Prelude to Darkness
Realms of Arkania, Realms of Arkania 2, Realms of Arkania 3
Arena, Daggerfall
Dark Heart of Uukrul
Darksun, Darksun 2
Might and Magic 1-8
The Summoning
Aethra Chronicles
Geneforge 1-5
Exile 1-3
Arcanum
Planescape: Torment
Eye of the Beholder 1-3
Lands of Lore
Anvil of Dawn
Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate 2
Fallout, Fallout 2
Bloodnet
Wasteland
Legacy: Realm of Terror
Magic Candle II: The Four and Fourty
Betrayal at Krondor
Nahlakh
Darklands
Aleshar
Ultima 4, Ultima 6, Ultima 7
Ultima Underworld, Ultima Underworld 2

Roguelikes:
Ancient Domains of Mystery
Troubles of Middle Earth 2.3.5
sCthAngband

BUT I PLAYED ALL OF THIS!!! GIVE ME MORE GAMES!

OK. But some of them are shitty.

Avernum 4, Avernum 5
Thunderscape
Wizardry 1, Wizardry 4
Yendorian Tales 2, Yendorian Tales 3
Dungeon Master, Dungeon Master 2
Obitus
Warriors of the Eternal Sun
Wizard!
DarkSpyre
Shadow of Yserbius, The Fates of Twinion
The Faery Tale Adventure
Shadowrun (SEGA version), Shadowrun (SNES)
Neuromancer
Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception
SpellCraft: Aspects of Valor
Eschalon Book I,Eschalon Book II
Bard's Tale: Tales of the Unknown
Nethergate
Megatraveller 2
Soulbringer
Stonekeep
Twilight 2000

***** Other Resources ******

MMXI's New and improved list of decent to must play cRPGs

Bruticis' cRPG Master List

There's a serious lack of the IWD games on your list, my friend. Some would say there's less personality, but it's what you invest into the games is what makes them shine. I love making an entire party in my games, and I wish I saw more of that. X-com is another good example for this.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Unfortunately, about any other Vogel's game is better than Avadons. The best are the Geneforge series (particularyl 1st and 5th), but Avernums are also quite solid if you don't mind the many trash mobs.

Whats so bad about Avadon? I testplayed it for like 2 hours and it really looked promising, especially the setting which kinda reminded me on the game of thrones nightwatch plotline.

Booger

Educated

Skippy

Literate
So here is my deal....I have been playing CRPGs for a long time now (too long) and have completed many through the years. The bad thing is that I remember very few bits and pieces of many of these games, but yet in my mind, I consider them "must plays".

For instance, I loved the first Bard's Tale, thought it was amazing when I fired it up on my Commodore 64 back in the day, but it's been 25 years since I beat it. Was it really that good? Who knows.

Knowing the codex like I do (long time lurker) I was hoping you guys could recommend me some of the games you consider "must plays". Here's some rules i want to follow:
  • The game can be from any year
  • The game MUST be on some form of personal computer (Amiga, C64, Apple II, DOS, Windows, etc)
  • The game **MUST** have an ending. I hate games with no end at all. If you can keep playing after you win, that's fine, but must have a true ending of some sort.
So give me your suggestions. I am going to play them in the order I receive them, if I can get my hands on it. I plan on starting a blog detailing my playthroughs, but I need some kind of direction, some kind of "list"....I feel like if I get suggestions and a pecking order to go by, it takes the stress away of me having to choose a game, and taking a chance on it being bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom