Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
"They're" many games we universally agree on, like The Elder Turds series, to name but one.

joeydohn

Savant
Haha. I changed how I decided I would word that message, it's late and I missed the edit timer by 1 minute . Some people seem to like Morrowind here but I guess it depends where you draw the line of what constitutes an RPG and whether you like that style.

scimmiagialla

Novice
Never played BG, BG2, IWD2.
Which one do you suggest? Only one, please.

Thank you for your help and time

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
Are they're any games that are universally agreed on here or do you just prefer trolling each other?

Codex top 20:

1. Fallout
2. Planescape:Torment
3. Arcanum
4. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
5. Fallout 2
6. Baldur's Gate II
7. Mask of the Betrayer
8. Deus Ex
9. Morrowind
10. Gothic 2
11. Ultima VII
12. Wizardy 8
13. Jagged Alliance 2
14. Temple of Elemental Evil
15. Daggerfall
16. Wasteland
17. Realms of Arcania: Star Trail
18. Wizardry 7
19. Baldur's Gate
20. Neverwinter Nights

theHiddenHand

Educated
Haven't seem them mentioned but hunter:the reckoning and it's sequel hunter:the reckoning:redeemer I thought were great games when they came out about ten years ago unfortunately didn't play hunter:the reckoning:wayward (it was on PS2 and only had Xbox at that time.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Are they're any games that are universally agreed on here or do you just prefer trolling each other?

Codex top 20:

1. Fallout
2. Planescape:Torment
3. Arcanum
4. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
5. Fallout 2
6. Baldur's Gate II
7. Mask of the Betrayer
8. Deus Ex
9. Morrowind
10. Gothic 2
11. Ultima VII
12. Wizardy 8
13. Jagged Alliance 2
14. Temple of Elemental Evil
15. Daggerfall
16. Wasteland
17. Realms of Arcania: Star Trail
18. Wizardry 7
19. Baldur's Gate
20. Neverwinter Nights

This is better. Much better. Thank you.

Throw in System Shock 2, Thief, Outcast and a few more.

Micmu

Magister
The list is Ok but you shouldn't stick to it too much, especially the order of games.
Bloodlines is Ok game but it doesn't deserve FOURTH place, not by a long shot. It's deranged.
And NWN on the list... ahahaha
oh wow
(and you're in luck that it was made before ass protocol : -)

laclongquan

Arcane
BG2

I wouldn't call it universal but most people here seem to like Planescape Torment, Arcanum, Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines, Baldur's Gate 2, Fallout 1 and Morrowind.
Fallout 2, chap. I vehemently disrecommend F1 and BG1 to new players. Morrowind is a hiking simulator not a rpg but I agree that new player should play that dumber-than-dirt game if only to get a perspective. Anyway, this is the RPG shortlist, of course.

aris

Arcane
Exmit said:
Whoever thinks BG series are shit needs to go throw himself into the pits of sorrow and die
BG was shit. The main feature was the handpainted backgrounds which made the game/series truly beautiful and one of a kind when it comes to graphics. The rest? Crappy RT combat? Dutifully following a linear path devoid of anything resembling an active choice? Dumb "farmboy/girl discovers that he/she is special and has special powers" plot featuring the epic battle between you and retarded assassins who can't kill a lvl 1 character? You fight enemies matching your level, level up, move to the next pretty map, fight tougher enemies, level up, move to the next map, and so on until you beat Sarevok in his fancy "I'm a villain mwahaha" spiked armor.

The Durlag's tower added atmosphere to pretty background, raising the overall quality. BG2 went epic, adding some meaningless choices here and there, which made it a fun action adventure game, kinda like throwing in meaningless choices has made ME2 a neat little shooter. The Throne of Bhaal was a dull linear BG-like game, which completed the circle.

But hey, I'm glad that you've enjoyed it.
That would be a fine description to BG, if it wasn't for the fact that this extremely general description that could be applied any game ever made. Or am I wrong? Please enlighten me with your insight, some examples would not hurt.

laclongquan

Arcane
PST? You are a demi-god who is immortal, unkillable. You are in a journey to discover the secrets of immortality, of soul, and of yourself.

Fallout? You are a member of chosen people who live in a special place. Your 'heaven' got trouble, so you got kicked out to find solution. Your 'temporary-exile' lead you to different places in this desolate wasteland, meet interesting exiles, and rob them of their pretties. At the end of day, after you saving the whole fucking wasteland('hell'?) You return to 'heaven' and got kicked out just because. Prometheus motive?
I dont like Fallout 1 for a number of gameplay reason but story is not one.

Final Fantasy 8? You are orphan growing up in a school-cum-military-institute. You and your friend are roped into a special combat team to fight monster, defeat witches and save the day. You are actually not that special, but your power come from your sacrifice: by housing powers inside your body you gain special abilities but lose your memories. you end up saving the world but the world is in decline and might well end anyday now. And the fucking story teller refuse to tell us the long term damage of housing powers in your body, other than the memory loss, I mean.

BG series is good due to gameplay, not stories.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
BG series is good due to gameplay, not stories.
Infinity Engine Real-Time with Pause? Or perhaps you just mean the character statistics system, which is just limited DnD with shitty combat application due to the awful real time system. Variety of buffs + pre-buffing and items is nice I guess.

BG is loved due to it's BioStory. BG is actually shit.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Exmit said:
Whoever thinks BG series are shit needs to go throw himself into the pits of sorrow and die
BG was shit. The main feature was the handpainted backgrounds which made the game/series truly beautiful and one of a kind when it comes to graphics. The rest? Crappy RT combat? Dutifully following a linear path devoid of anything resembling an active choice? Dumb "farmboy/girl discovers that he/she is special and has special powers" plot featuring the epic battle between you and retarded assassins who can't kill a lvl 1 character? You fight enemies matching your level, level up, move to the next pretty map, fight tougher enemies, level up, move to the next map, and so on until you beat Sarevok in his fancy "I'm a villain mwahaha" spiked armor.

The Durlag's tower added atmosphere to pretty background, raising the overall quality. BG2 went epic, adding some meaningless choices here and there, which made it a fun action adventure game, kinda like throwing in meaningless choices has made ME2 a neat little shooter. The Throne of Bhaal was a dull linear BG-like game, which completed the circle.

But hey, I'm glad that you've enjoyed it.
That would be a fine description to BG, if it wasn't for the fact that this extremely general description that could be applied any game ever made. Or am I wrong? Please enlighten me with your insight, some examples would not hurt.
Any game? Is every game an action-adventure RPGs with crappy real-time combat, linear, choice-less storyline that revolves around a boy/girl coming of age and discovering that he/she is special and clearing up maps RTS-style?

Vault Dweller

Developer
A game with skill checks and without having to walk back and forth? Burn it with fire, I say!

Vault Dweller

Developer
I played BG once, when it was released. I don't really recall what they looked like, to be honest. So, what were they?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Pre-rendered 3D graphics. No hand drawing there. Except maybe some photoshopping.
I feel they got some undeserved recognition because somehow this belief that they're hand drawings came out.
No Infinity Engine game had hand drawn graphics. They've got great graphics, sure, because Interplay had awesome artists in that period, but they're not hand drawn.

MMXI

Arcane
Any game? Is every game an action-adventure RPGs with crappy real-time combat, linear, choice-less storyline that revolves around a boy/girl coming of age and discovering that he/she is special and clearing up maps RTS-style?
The usual retarded arguments, as expected. Only a handful of cRPGs have combat that is more tactical than the Baldur's Gate games. Compared to Fallout and Arcanum its combat system is godly. Other than that, I'm not sure where the "action" comes from, and clearing maps is something players do in the vast majority of cRPGs. "Linear, choice-less story-line" was something that existed in 95% of the genre at the time Baldur's Gate came out, including some of the most praised 80s and 90s cRPGs. It's not a sin to make a game that doesn't cater to modern storyfaggotry.

Vault Dweller

Developer
The usual retarded "counter-arguments", as expected. The game was as tactical as any game with party members. Now, BG2 did raise the stakes with mage battles and challenging enemies, but BG was piss-easy and you didn't need to use any tactics. So, while the system itself (DnD) is obviously tactical, but the tactical aspect was lost during the implementation of the system and the overall design.

As a game that was inspired by Darklands and Realms of Arkania, it failed miserably to offer the same level of non-lineairty, complexity, and non-combat gameplay.

MMXI

Arcane
The usual retarded "counter-arguments", as expected. The game was as tactical as any game with party members. Now, BG2 did raise the stakes with mage battles and challenging enemies, but BG was piss-easy and you didn't need to use any tactics. So, while the system itself (DnD) is obviously tactical, but the tactical aspect was lost during the implementation of the system and the overall design.
:lol:

So you just zerged every encounter and won the game? Also, why bring up Darklands and Realms of Arkania when they are clearly far less tactical?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Pre-rendered 3D graphics. No hand drawing there. Except maybe some photoshopping.
I feel they got some undeserved recognition because somehow this belief that they're hand drawings came out.
No Infinity Engine game had hand drawn graphics. They've got great graphics, sure, because Interplay had awesome artists in that period, but they're not hand drawn.

One could argue touching small details of rendered objects in Photoshop can be called "drawing" too. Atleast that's what I do aswell in my game - though I don't call it handpainted. :M Still, working on this feels much more like working on a painting than "oh well, I do mapping". So people saying these backgrounds were painted are atleast not totally "wrong". And I am not to blame them, some of the maps truely look fantastic, I have some particular map from IWD in mind where I really have no clue how they did things so detailed that it looks like a painting.

Here - this is not a very spectacular area per se (corridor grinding in fact :D ) but I am in awe how the ice etc. looks more like brushstrokes than a rendered object.

ar95016ofto.jpg

So, give the people a break who aren't that familar with graphic content creation. ;)

MMXI

Arcane

One could argue touching small details of rendered objects in Photoshop can be called "drawing" too. Atleast that's what I do aswell in my game - though I don't call it handpainted. :M Still, working on this feels much more like working on a painting than "oh well, I do mapping". So people saying these backgrounds were painted are atleast not totally "wrong". And I am not to blame them, some of the maps truely look fantastic, I have some particular map from IWD in mind where I really have no clue how they did things so detailed that it looks like a painting.

Here - this is not a very spectacular area per se (corridor grinding in fact :D ) but I am in awe how the ice etc. looks more like brushstrokes than a rendered object.

So, give the people a break who aren't that familar with graphic content creation. ;)
Indeed. I think the Icewind Dale graphics look the least pre-rendered out of the Infinity Engine games. Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II, especially in the towns and cities, look very much pre-rendered. The outdoor zones also look like they have copy & pasted trees and rocks. Planescape: Torment looks less pre-rendered than Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II, but it looks more like touched up pre-renders than Icewind Dale. All in all, the Infinity Engine doesn't give a damn how the images are made as they are merely images. I'm sure a variety of techniques were uses for different zones and for different games. I'd say there isn't any clear cut answer to whether the graphics are pre-rendered or not. They are probably both.

Also, Icewind Dale has wonderful graphics. Some of the best out there. It's a shame that the fog of war kind of ruins it a bit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom