Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of Worthwhile DOS Games

Found this trawling the internets. Looks like a pretty good list to me.

list-of-worthwhile-dos-games.jpg

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
should have stuck to the obscure ones

like anyone who'll play dos games hasn't heard of all these already

also no Dark Sun or Stronghold.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Where is Micro Machines 2?
The only micromachine car I owned had a body that would change colors from orange-red to light blue on contact with cold

the logical way to utilise this fine feature was of course via the fridge freezer and seeing the bits where the ice touched change immediately

magical stuff

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's kinda impossible to do justice to such a large era.

For instance i see no QFG edit: they have the first WTF?
or Moonstone.

My MoO1 example was relevant though, since they include MoO2. Graphic whores.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The list has Wacky Wheels! It gets the Sceptic Seal Of Approval:love:

Like all lists it's missing some things, Dark Sun and Stronghold being really painful ones as meltdown pointed out... and including Goblins 3 but not Gobliiins is also odd, as Gobliiins was the much more original game. And while I'd have normally agreed with having QFG1 only there, as it's the best one, they did put whole series elsewhere (like Wing Commander and UW), so why not all of QFG?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sins of omission are at least better than including bad games.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
No master of orion 1, list is invalid.
Tbf they claim that MoO II was released in 1994 so I smell another bullshit "let's pretend we know stuff by naming games we heard about once or twice" and just skimming through it other things are also off. Still, it contains a ton of absolutely brilliant titles and comparing it to, let's say, "best games of 21st century list" just makes you realise the scale of decline.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, not a bad list, even though it's missing some gems.

As long as it will actually manage to inspire people who haven't played those to check them out, it's a great list.

I'd much prefer a "list of best DOS games you never heard of" though, because then there might be a chance that I could find some games I haven't played already.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Is Bioforge worth playing?

Definitely.

+Setting
+Writing and story
+Excellent music and audio
+Decent voice acting
+Varied gameplay
+Advanced combat system
+Amazing graphics and cinematics
+Enemy variation
+Animation of characters
+Violence + gore (severed limbs, wounds and blood appear on characters,....)

-Controls/ camera might take some getting used to if you are not familiar with games like this (Alone in the dark 1-2-3)
-Ending/ sequel was cancelled

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, no Gold Box or many other SSI titles, but for what it is it's a pretty good list. Shows just how much quality there was back then and in a short period(most of the stuff covers a 5 or 6 year period) and this misses out on a shit load of things. You'd be lucky to be able to scrape up a list half as long of half decent games for the last 10-12 years. Cryway is missing the point: even if popular they were/are good. These days there's little correlation between popularity and quality.

I'd much prefer a "list of best DOS games you never heard of" though, because then there might be a chance that I could find some games I haven't played already.

I remember I gave you one of those...have to remember a few more I guess. Fuck the 742 X-Com remakes, where's my Sword of Aragon remake?

Yeah, but you guys don't need a list. This is directed at people who don't know where to begin ("Use this software called DosBox; ever heard of Abandonia?")

edit: for that matter, the picture came from here, where one can find similar lists, including a "brief story of PC gaming" that is sure to twist many panties and shatter a few monocles.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, but you guys don't need a list. This is directed at people who don't know where to begin ("Use this software called DosBox; ever heard of Abandonia?")

Yeah, no point nitpicking...in this day and age this is a good thing to get the plebs started on what they missed out on. If it converts someone its done its job.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Yeah, but you guys don't need a list. This is directed at people who don't know where to begin

I can safely bet that only 1 out of 10 people on the Codex ever heard about half of that list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom