Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline List sims with dynamic campaign

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
List sims with dynamic campaign, not restricted to flight sims. I like to feel like my actions in a mission actually affects the campaign.

Battle Of Britain. Famous WW2 flight sim.
Wing Commander Armada. Space fighting with strategic campaign where you can build ships.
Pacific Storm. WW2 strategic campaign where you can build ships and planes and control them, very buggy and unstable. Lots of micromanagement.

:Flash:

Arcane
Flying Corps Gold.
The first campaigns were branching only, the last was fully dynamic.

EmoBunny

Savant
IL-2 sturmovik

Silent Hunter 3 & 4
Silent Hunters ? Really?
In my experience outcome of one mission did not really affect the next one... Am I wrong ?

Also: Red Baron

They don't effect them directly, but depending on how you do you will receive a differing amount of renown which will, in turn, change what you can upgrade your boat with.

oscar

Arcane
That's not really what he means at all.

Civil War Generals 2.

Not a sim but fuck them

Not a sim as well, but Panzer General has a lot of branching and alternate history scenarios:

For example, defeat in the 1940 Battle of France results in game over; after a Major Victory the player invades Britain; after a Minor Victory the player can either command the North African campaign or capture the Balkans and Greece and then invade Russia (Barbarossa). After a Major victory in Barbarossa the player can either convince the High Command to attack Moscow immediately (which costs him or her much prestige, needed for buying units) or attack Kiev and then Moscow (but then Moscow is surrounded by formidable fortifications).

Defeats don't always equal game overs either.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Branching campaigns, experience, carryover troops on your side, non-sims don't count. The list will be huge if you do that.
Having alternate missions base on your performance isn't quite it either, the kills should be reflected on the campaign. Mount and Blade where your kills reduce a faction's troops is what I call a dynamic campaign, I guess you can call it a medieval sim. The LOTR mod The Last Days use numbers to show the factions' strength, the game is grinding down your rival's strength while trying to keep yours high.
http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/topic,2465.0.html

Last edited:

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
How does Homeworld have a dynamic campaign? Did the results of missions affect anything except starting ships in the next mission?

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I was going to write a response here, but it veered sort of off topic. I made a thread discussing some of the issues around campaigns in the general forum.

I would like to mention however one problem that especially plagues dynamic campaigns is that you have to deliberately perform poorly to experience some (sometimes more interesting) content. This was especially true in Panzer General, where if you played very well, you would only play 6 or so missions.

aleph

Arcane
This was especially true in Panzer General, where if you played very well, you would only play 6 or so missions.

I don't think accidentally playing well was ever a problem in Panzer General, especially in first playthrough.

Anac'raxus

Learned
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Red Storm Rising
M1 Tank Platoons 1 & 2
European Air War (I don't think you can win the war by yourself, but squadron attrition definitely carries over between missions).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom