Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List your favorite companions

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Inspired by the "your most hated character" thread in general gaming I thought perhaps we could have look at the positive side (if there's such a thread already, please merge, a quick search did not yield any results)

So, as the topic says, post the companions you like the most of any rpg/tactical rpg you have ever played. Feel free to choose criteria for your pick, the most interesting is probably your justification as to why X is a such a cool companion.

1) A companion that is interesting/cool in terms their backstory, well written, and perhaps helps in structuring the content (plot twists, individual questline etc.). You name it.

2) A good companion from the point of view of the game mechanics - complements PCs skillset, provides a good platform etc. You know the drill.

3) other reasons

---------------------------------------------
Let's be flexible - if someone feels JA2 mercs should be included, go for it. In fact, if you feel some character that is playable but the game itself does not necessarily have much rpg elements, feel free to include in your rankings.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I like auld companions. Cassidy, Keldorn, Jolee, Kreia, Wynne, Madora...

Hell tranny might be shit but you can have half your party be above 60.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Owyn, Betrayal at Krondor - If anybodys the protagonist o this game its Owyn, hes us as we stumble into Midkemia an this fantastic unfolding plot and ramble around the Kingdom of the Isles. He takes us on a heroes journey wi out bein chosen by anybody, he blossoms from a weakling with a blindness spell to an archmage who can stand shoulder to shoulder with legends. Mechanically useful, narratively intrinsic an just a great example o character design and honest to fuck likeability, which is what a lot o writers forget nowadays.

Morte - Vulgar foil, perfect antithesis to all the philosophy wash that berks spout from Sigil to City of Brass, an yet hes also a guide, a sounding board, a past acquaintance an a loyal familiar. Unlike other games hes not like this because he happens to have taken a liking to you in an inn, no you're deeply connected and that connection reinforces the central theme of the game, brilliant multi level usefulness. An hes best tank you can have unless Nameless steps up to melee an bes a man. In fairness I could gush about any Torment companion but chose Morte cos hes such a change o pace from modern squeeing humour, almost Shakespearian.

Torian Kel - Its only when you look back at game from end that you realise Torian Kel stands at heart o the conflict you've been drawn into, an this is a totally optional character who its easy to miss or kill. Virgil might be wi you from start but its Kel who represents almost everythin you become wrapped up in durin the game. Pity hes mechanically weak.

Worthless Mutt - Nowt need be said, does the job, dunt need panderin to.

The Ultima Trio - Your mates, simple as. Not best, not worst but always there for Avatar an they're your fucking possy.

Last edited:

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
^Elaborate on torian kel. I remember that he exists and what he looks like but I didn't pay attention to his story.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Warrior of Ancient Kree, saw his city burned to ground by the Bane of Kree who Nasrudin then sentenced to Void, might have died in massacre as Bane has his family sword. Disciples o Kerghan the Terrible, the Derian Ka raised him centuries later to serve in their undead army the Grey Legion, who battled against the Molochean Hand, the assassins who pursue the protagonist in Arcanum and once served the Derian Ka. His soul is trapped in this world, raised by black necromancy and unable to move on, echoing antagonists goal. Geoffrey will be recognised by Torian as a member of the Derian Ka, and at the ruins of Kree he will stop at his ancient home.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Styx in Of Orcs and Men. Begrudgingly helps out Arkail with his quest. Slowly becomes a real bro. Is there through thick and thin, even when shit gets real bad for everyone. Character so strong and interesting they gave him a standalone game. Also, you can throw him.

Sulk in Fallout 2, the Raul the Ghoul in NV. Design-wise, Sulik is just a great pick for a potential first-companion in Fallout 2. He's weird as shit, and you two tribesmen basically wander the strange wasteland together. Raul I liked mostly because all the others were anti-Legion and for some reason the designers failed to really give the player a pro-Legion companion. Raul's "fuck it" attitude comes pretty close, though.

Alistair in Dragon Age. He gets a lot of grief for being something of a whiny bitch from time to time, but I thought he had some real character progression and always seemed like a true bro at the end of the day. Also, he sets up one of the most interesting parts of the game in taking Loghain into your party.

Yoshimo in Baldur's Gate 2. Mostly because I just did not see that coming.

baturinsky

Arcane
Mazzy Fentan. I just want to hug her tight and say everything will be all right. She is rejected and overlooked by everyone - not given as much attention as other girls by developers and players, refused to be a paladin, and thrown into a cell to rot. And yet, she does not whine all the time about her tragic fate like certain others.

Gunnar

Arbiter
RFS-81 from Wizardry 8. He has android immunities, solid front liner, knows who his master is, travels mostly everywhere and keeps his yap shut for the most part. I think I liked him mainly because of how annoying and shitty all the other companions are in that game, by comparison he's relaxing.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Styx in Of Orcs and Men. Begrudgingly helps out Arkail with his quest. Slowly becomes a real bro. Is there through thick and thin, even when shit gets real bad for everyone. Character so strong and interesting they gave him a standalone game. Also, you can throw him.
I got the standalone from humble monthly. Would you recommend playing OO&M first?

Andkat

Educated
One of Many from Mask of the Betrayer. A lovable pet who positively reinforces you for making the objectively correct decisions in the game. Three classes in one easily portable package. Unfortunately not a romance option.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Companions in Fallout 2 weren't very elaborate, but I did like the subtle characterization of Sulik and Vic for some reason (could've been better, though). They felt more human than a lot of other characters in other games with their (common) overexposition.

I don't really have any specific favorites, though, and there are others, but those two came to mind first.

laclongquan

Arcane
7590.jpg

Just look at this noble visage
http://rpgcodex.net/forums/data/avatars/l/7/7590.jpg?1381668266
A barbarian prince in disguise, I tell you. As the first companion in Fallout 2, he outshine almost all others, barring Marcus.

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
HK-47 - what's not to like about a homicidal assassin droid? He's only got one note but he plays it so well.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
- The 4 or 5 other characters I can create when playing ToEE. Usually best backstories and personalities, and unlike premades, they are not complete morons, have decent builds/stats and don't force their mommy issues onto me when playing when I'm usually trying to save the world or some shit.
- The dudes and dudettes I can create and recruit in PoEE at the tavern. Same as above but really, above all, they allow me to ditch all the other premade characters into the fort and forget about all their bullshit.

All in all, companions suck, no exception, products of wannabe writers who try to hard, caring more about how cool what they want to say is, and not enough about the player. They are usually like GMs who can't stop fucking talking when he's playing NPCs, thinking himself some kind of actor, and forgets why he's playing NPCs in the first place.

Virgil from Arcanum, Sulik from F2 of course. Morrigan from Dragon Age Origins and Morte from PS:T because of the bone pile dialogue. From Pillars of Eternity of course Durance and Grieving Mother.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
No particular order:

Sir Dupre - Ultima VII

latest

Burnt alive, Dupre took your place in a ritual sacrifice, shoving you aside and leaping into a furnace. The true brother-in-arms. :salute:

"Let it be said that Sir Dupre died bravely!" - Sir Dupre
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Durance - Pillars of Eternity

Durance-portrait.jpg

A hilarious, shifty and overzealous lunatic, Durance is devoted to no one but his Goddess, Magran - who he constantly refers to as a whore. Funniest banter of any companion.

"I should've known something was wrong when that tailor said he wanted to take my measurements for a new outfit, but then only measured my neck." - Durance

Racter - Shadowrun: Hong Kong

Npc_humanmale_racter.png

Initially appears sly and untrustworthy, but the opposite is true. He'll slowly reveal a compelling personal history, worldview and what he really is. He has very interesting, thought provoking dialogue - throughout.

"The natural processes of evolution and sexual selection guide the development of our species through trial and error. Throw a few billion darts at the wall and see what sticks. In the future that I foresee, this process will be reined in. Guided by our own controlling intellects. To co-opt an antiquated phrase, the myth of ‘intelligent design’ will become a reality, but we will be our own gods, reshaping ourselves as we see fit." - Racter

Diego - Gothic

5b871d05e9_18465895_o2.jpg

Wields a Bow & Moustache.

"I'm Diego." - Diego

Last edited:

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Durance from Pillars of Eternity was pretty great. A lesser game would make batshit insane priest a villain. In PoE he throws his mad ravings at you. "The twist" to his personality is played well too: it's not that he makes his involvement into a godhammer a secret, he just doesn't talk about it unless you ask. He is how a priest of alien religion should feel like, not the usual pseudo-Christian saint or evil servant of blood god.

Racter from Shadowrun Hong Kong is a good Russian character. He actually uses right terminology and mentins right Russian fairy-tale allusions. His posthumanism ideas are interesting too, maybe even too good for a setting with elves and dragons.

Kreia from KotOR2. Well, you know.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Steroid, what a guy, sharp mind, winning personality. Great repairman/locksmith too. Okay, so maybe he can't rival Trevor or the other whiz kids, but at least he can brute force his way through. Team player of the year. T levels are off the chart!

Hamous, funny little savage. Crappy stats, but almost decent with the boomstick. Provides great insights, can't beat that deep and profound native wisdom.

Dogmeat, such a little trooper, and I don't even like dogs. Rips them a new one, tanks damage like a pro. Best of all, he doesn't shoot you in the back. Doesn't care about karma, he sticks with you to the end. Pity it usually comes early, as he tends to get bursted to shreds or burnt to a crisp mid-game.

Alwan
, people sure hate on Geneforge 3 but this guy makes up for the flaws. Trusty bro and solid sword-chucker who doesn't complain like some liebrul when you go full Einsatzgruppen on those rebels. Would adventure with again.

Ignus, interesting character with some sweet dialogue. Provided you develop the right alignment, he is also a solid bro who will stick with you to the very end. Too bad he was gimped by that low wisdom, always falls behind XP-wise and you can't even slap tattoos on him. The encounters and combat system also make him largely irrelevant. What a shame!

Stark, toughest Street Samurai for sure. The quest to get him is pretty sweet, and he comes fully fitted with cyberware! Strong 80s action vibes from this chummer, just the kind of bro you need to tackle that endgame slog.

Viorica
, sort of crappy stats, but she can be shaped into a useful support fighter. Besides, how often do you get to recruit a female grave robber? Provides nice commentary along the way. Think I sold her as a slave somewhere mid-game, not a bad companion at all.

Serafim, tanky as hell, 100% battle bro with sweet equipment and a bunch of levels in harbinger. Had to mind control him of course, but I bet there are some legit ways to buddy up with him too if you swing that way. Can't really do better as far as meat shields go.

Albion: Sira and Melthas. It was the first game that I've played which had NPC party and companion interactions. Sira was an Iskai mage, Melthas - the mute druid. Both were useful in combat, and had nice litle romance going on between themselves (four years before BG2 came out).
Fallout 1 & 2: Dogmeat. Best companion. Marcus and Sulik were also both alright mates.
BG 2: Viconia, Keldorn. Both were stereotypes, but at least they weren't grating.
Planescape: Torment: I liked all of PST's companions, but my favourite were Annah, Morte and Dak'kon. Annah was really great and particular, I tend to play rogues and so I tend not to use NPC ones much, but she has so much character, really nice way of talking (at least for my inexperienced Russian eyes her argot was very interesting) and good reactions and backstory. Morte was both comic and tragic character, he added much needed levity to otherwise serious game. Dak'kon had really great personal quest, restoring his faith and learning and teaching the lessons of Zerthimon was immensely satisfying.
NWN1: Was there companions in it? Can't recall. Seriously though, OC henchmen were awful.
Arcanum: Um. Well, I didn't really liked anyone there. I guess Virgil was alright, and that city dwarf also.
KOTOR 1: I hated, hated all characters there, so nope.
NWN 2: Erm. Didn't like anyone there either.
KOTOR 2: Kreia and Atton. Both were great, Kreia with her teaching and subversion of traditional SW mentor role, and Atton was realy well-rounded character, interesting backstory, not very whiny, quite humorous at times, but still not just a stock smuugler. Also his death dialogue was very touching.
Mass Effect series: say what you want about that popamole fest, but it had entertaining, albeit cliche'd, companions. Garrus and Wrex were bros.
DA:O: Alistair was alright, Morrigan was a bitch, but an entertaining one.
Fallout: NV: Boone. Also ED-E. Boone was great mechanically, he also had a decent backstory and dialogue. ED-E I just liked for that jingle which it played at the start of each battle, also it wasn't annoying.
DA2: All companions were awful.
DA:I: Still hadn't played it and don't really plan to.
Shadowrun: Dragonfall: I liked all companions, especially Eiger and Dietrich. Eiger was ex-military which actually looked and talked like one, and also was quite great in gameplay terms. Dietcrich had an interesting backstory, and I'm also particular to older companions.
Shadowrun: Hong Kong: Racter. Great dialogues, great character, I just wish they would've fleshed him out more. Still - really liked him.
Pillars of Eternity: Durance and Grieving Mother. For obvious reasons. Eder was also alright, but in comparison to this to he loses hands down. Still, a nice low-key ol' farm boy. All others ranged from forgettable to shitty.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Racter - Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Npc_humanmale_racter.png

"The natural processes of evolution and sexual selection guide the development of our species through trial and error. Throw a few billion darts at the wall and see what sticks. In the future that I foresee, this process will be reined in. Guided by our own controlling intellects. To co-opt an antiquated phrase, the myth of ‘intelligent design’ will become a reality, but we will be our own gods, reshaping ourselves as we see fit." - Racter
:incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom