Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LitRPG with the 3.5e d20 system and Cleve/Roqua inspired character

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Hello, RPGCodex!

Thank you for making a place focused on RPGS!

I’m an avid RPG player. Not so much tabletop games anymore, but I’m the type to clear my schedule when games like Pathfinder or Solasta come out. I can’t wait for Baldur’s Gate 3 to finally be released! I still play PWs for NWN 1 and 2. And I’ve played DDO since its release (and wish I was forward thinking enough to get the lifetime pass).

I also love LitRPG books. For years I was hoping someone would write a LitRPG with the 3.5e d20 system, and no one was doing it. So I decided to write one myself. And it has plenty additions of new feats and mechanics to (hopefully) make it interesting for people who know 3.5e well.

My favorite types of comedy tend toward the outrageous. Major Payne, I’m Gonna Git You Sucka, East Bound & Down, Vice Principals, you get the drift. Though the book isn’t really a comedy, I noticed I kept wanting to add a lot of Cleve and Roqua to one of the two main characters, and have him say some of the crazy nonsense both rant about. I finally just embraced it and made that character an amalgamation of Major Payne, Cleve, and Roqua. What I ended up with was a super soldier with a super ego, a giant man, stronger than a gorilla, more Neanderthal DNA than you could shake a stick at, bones so dense they are nigh unbreakable, every muscle packed full of quick twitch fibers, Cabo Verde heritage, born and raised in Massachusetts, casually offensive, with nonsensical, but entertaining, rants. (The character would explain his physical traits this way, and like Cleve, that doesn’t mean it’s reality.)

I’ve started releasing the book on Royal Road. Ten chapters are available; 20k words. Every day a new chapter will be released. The way Royal Road works is you release chapters daily to get higher rankings, visibility, and followers. From how I understand it, I’d be shooting myself in the foot by releasing it all at once. The book is finished so there won’t be any long waits between chapter releases. The current cover is a placeholder while a professionally made cover is being created.

If any of you are interested, I’d love for you to check it out. I especially look forward to any feedback from experts on the 3.5e system. I took great pains to ensure all the numbers were right. Some of the changes to the core SRD rules are explained later in the book. The only important change to know is hit points are lowered. New hit points per class per level are half minus 1. So barbarians get 5, and wizards get 1. If I got anything wrong, or anything doesn’t add up, I’d love it if you’d please comment on it during the chapter.

Heads-up: only one chapter of the Cleve/Roqua inspired character has been released so far. He only has two chapters in the first part, but is prominent in the rest of the book.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this. I checked a couple weeks ago and I could’ve sworn there was a books/literature forum here.

The book’s title is Making Levels the Fly Way. Just click here to go to the book’s page on Royal Road. I hope you enjoy!

Last edited:

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Hmmm, I don’t think I sold the story very well. It may start off with a whinny little girl, but the focus changes drastically shortly in. If I do say so myself, the book is pure incline.

Let me list some other ways this story is so very incline and directly appeals to the RPGCodex community.

No cucks

A 15 YO raging, yet chaste, homosexual cross dressing son

A guy that tucks his T-shirts into his pants

A low-functioning autistic child

A guy going around sleeping with many women a la The Witcher’s Geralt

An attractive, possibly Sikh, special needs teacher

A stinky girl who pees on the faces of her dead enemies

A world filled with dungeons, many based on actual game dungeons (can you tell what game the first dungeon is from?)

A horny Thai woman

Souped-up 3.5e a la Pathfinder

Some MMA

A military officer who possibly looks like Chris Avellone

The healing power of friendship

Action

Adventure

Some penis related dialogue

A bearded fat lady

Romance (just kidding, this is not a BIS or BioWare book)

Murder

Mystery

A tent upgradable with achievements

Canadian bosses

Other things you love!

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Is there no way to edit posts? I was going to make some changes to the initial post and cannot find an edit button. If I'm not allowed to edit, would it please be possible for me to request a small edit? Carbo to Cabo. It's been driving me crazy seeing it and knowing it's there.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Is there no way to edit posts? I was going to make some changes to the initial post and cannot find an edit button. If I'm not allowed to edit, would it please be possible for me to request a small edit? Carbo to Cabo. It's been driving me crazy seeing it and knowing it's there.

It's on the right side at the top of your post next to the Triangle report button.

Edit Button.jpg

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
It's on the right side at the top of your post next to the Triangle report button.
Thank you! I really appreciate the reply, but I don't have those options. Well, I have the report and bookmark option, but no edit and delete. I'd post a screenshot but it won't let me paste it in, and it seems to require hosting on a website and linking to it. But, still. I really appreciate you trying to help.

Codex Year of the Donut
New accounts can't edit posts, anti-spammer stuff where they'd edit the posts after being approved.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Is there no way to edit posts? I was going to make some changes to the initial post and cannot find an edit button.
IIRC, for newbies the edit button is only available for five minutes after the post is made. Once you've been on the Codex for a year, or have equipped the ring, you can freely edit your posts, although an edited notification will appear on the post if the edit does not occur within five minutes of posting.

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I really appreciate the replies. Thank you all very much. What are the chances of a moderator making that one small edit (just removing one letter from one word)? I can't message anyone or post on their account.

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Okay. I'm open to both paying and equipping rings. The only way I can see to do so is by donating. Does 1 potato equal 1 dollar? Just exactly how much will I have to donate to to remove one letter from one word?

Codex Year of the Donut
Okay. I'm open to both paying and equipping rings. The only way I can see to do so is by donating. Does 1 potato equal 1 dollar? Just exactly how much will I have to donate to to remove one letter from one word?
5 thalers

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Well, I made a donation yesterday. Hopefully I'll have my patron tag soon and the ability to edit. The second Bruno (Cleve/Rogua type character) chapter comes out today at 5pm eastern/2pm pacific if anyone is interested. I'd love to hear some feedback.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Is there such a thing as good litrpg?

I've tried the Two Year Emperor by David Storm and dropped it midway through due to lack of interest.

Worth the Candle by Alexander Wales was an exception, but it was very meta, which is what I liked I guess.

Have you read them? How does your book compare to the two?

Last edited:

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Is there such a thing as good litrpg?

I've tried the Two Year Emperor by David Storm and dropped it midway through due to lack of interest.

Worth the Candle by Alexander Wales was an exception, but it was very meta, which is what I liked I guess.

Have you read them? How does your book compare to the two?
I haven't read either, but will have to check them out. I'm unable to make a comparison. There are tons of great LitRPGs of various stripes.

L. M. Kerr's Reborn: Apocalypse is fantastic. Has some cultivation too. The Russians have a ton of great work in this genre. https://www.amazon.com/Reborn-Apocalypse-LitRPG-Wuxia-Story-ebook/dp/B07RNNJB8K

Dungeon Crawler Carl is one of my favorites . https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BKGYQXW/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0

Some of the biggest right now are He Who Fights Monsters, Defiance of the Fall, and Primal Hunter.

If you are interested in more cultivation than RPG aspects, Silver Fox & the Western Hero is good.

If you want some alternate history modern earth with cultivation and some light RPG, Street Cultivation from Sara Lin is really good

I could go on and on. Tell me what kinds of book more interest you and I can narrow down some recommendations. Portal fantasy? Reborn or rebirth? OP heroes? Realistic? Silly? Kindle Unlimited only? Free on Royal Road? Sci-fi?

I don't know if mine is a good introductory LitRPG or not. The nature of 3.5e d20 makes it a lot different than most LitRPG since they always have far more open and flexible systems with no balance at all, and OP MCs galore. There are great reasons no one has written a 3.5e LitRPG before. I honestly thought people who love 3.5e would be far more interested. So far, no one that has reviewed or commented has seemed familiar with it at all. The only feedback I've gotten from other LitRPG authors is character creation is too involved and should be removed, and the character sheets are far too long, making the start of the book rough.

I wanted to use 3.5e specifically because of these reasons, so I'm not changing it. Plus, 3.5 makes me accountable to knowledgeable readers. I saw a deficit in LitRPGs I wanted to address. But my book is less about the system and more about the story and characters. The trend in any sort of progression fantasy is to have a bland lead everyone reading can relate to and not be offended by. Obviously, with a Cleve/Roqua inspired character I see things different. I also dislike when first person narratives read exactly as they would in third person, with no flavor or any of the strengths first person can have. It may start slow, but after the setup is finished in chapter 5, it takes off.

If you do end up giving my book a chance, I'd love to hear any feedback you have on the characters and RPG implementation. Also, please don't write it off before chapter 5. Chapter 10 is where the mechanics really come into play.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
There are great reasons no one has written a 3.5e LitRPG before.
Actually, the Two Year Emperor is based on D&D 3.5, I believe. Only slightly modified, as explained by the author:

Overview

This is (obviously) a D&D fanfic. Unfortunately, the last time I played was back when the cover of the DMG still showed an efreet holding a mostly-naked blonde. (Ah, the days of sexist marketing aimed at 13-year-old boys.) I've done a fair amount of reading since then, but my knowledge of the rules is going to be patchy; bear with me.

Speaking of rules, I am actually writing this according to a strict set of rules that I set for myself when I started. I realized recently, however, that I had never actually laid out what they are. I've mentioned some of them in response to reviews, but I'm going to spell them out so people know what to expect (and so that *I* remember).

Update Schedule

The story updates every Saturday of whatever time zone I happen to be in at the time. Occasionally bonus chapters will happen, and those could come any time or any day.

The Rules of the World

For purposes of worldbuilding, the rules I'm playing by are a bit of a hodgepodge. Below is the list of what I'm using; this list will expand periodically as I run into situation where I need to make a ruling on something and I need to remember which way I ruled:

1. The Deorsi and the Flobovians are both magical societies, but they've developed along very different lines. As a result, there are spells, items, and techniques that are known to one that are not known to the other. Unfortunately for the Flobovians, the Deorsi are primarily focused on battle magic, while the Flobovians are concentrated on economic magic—agriculture, craft magic, etc.
  2. Real-world physics works. (When I pull any of this stuff, however, I'll do my best to get the numbers right.)
  3. RAW (Rules As Written) trumps physics. Note that I'm going by a very strict reading of RAW. If the game designers screwed up or left a loophole, that is Not My Problem. (Of course, this works both for the heroes and the villains....) The rules I'm using are from these sources:
  • The SRD
  • DnDTools.com
  • A few items from WotC or Paizo blogs or other official online publications.
  • I don't currently own any of the rulebooks (core or splat). If I end up getting some, material in them may or may not start showing up. Even if something from a book shows up, that doesn't mean that everything in that book is now part of the world, so if you see (e.g.) Dark Way getting cast, don't assume that everything from Magic of Faerûn is now on the table.
I'm using a few house rules, most of which I've used since high school:
  • First and most important (especially for Chapter 6): Falling damage does not cap out...or, more specifically, I'm ignoring the falling damage rules completely. I house-ruled that years ago, when a high level fighter (played by a friend of mine) decided that, rather than wasting time climbing down a very deep shaft, he would jump—after all, he had plenty of hit points and falling damage caps out, so the fall couldn't possibly kill him! So he jumped hundreds of feet down, splatted on solid stone, and then immediately stood up and started cracking heads. Oy.
  • According to the Players Handbook, "A character can advance only one level at a time. If, for some extraordinary reason, a character's XP [experience point] reward from a single adventure would be enough to advance two or more levels at once, he or she instead advances one level and gains just enough XP to be 1 XP short of the next level." To this I say: HOGWASH! You can bloody well advance as many levels at a time as you can pay for.
  • Spells with obvious opposites have them. E.g, since Shrink Item is canon, Enlarge Item exists. Opposites have the same level and stat block as their canonical counterpart. A similar effect applies to the various Wall of X spells and other things similar to them; Rules As Written say "you can double the wall's area by halving its thickness." I will also allow halving the area in order to double its thickness, and I'll allow you to double / halve more than once. And, since the sizings on those walls say "up to x square feet", you can cast them as small as you want, or change the height and width however you like as long as you stay within the specified square footage—instead of a 10'x10' square you can have it be 5'x20', etc.
  • I gather that lightning bolts have been emasculated in v3-4; they now always bounce straight back to the caster. Sod that; in my game, angle of incidence still equals angle of reflection As Was Writ In The Book of Gygax.
  • The restriction on paladins not being able to advance their paladin level after taking a level in another class makes no sense to me and interferes with the story that I want to tell. Instead, I'm ruling that a paladin is free to take whatever levels they want so long as their paladin level is higher than any of their other levels. Also, if they take any levels in rogue they immediately lose all paladin levels and powers and cannot regain them while they still have rogue

I'm going to use the published monsters and treasure, but I'm also going to make up my own as the plot requires.
  • SIDE NOTE: Although it annoys the bejabbers out of me, I'm going to play Scrying as it's written. Seriously though—you can only scry on people, not on locations? And you can only see the area 10' around the target—you can't turn your invisible eye sideways to look around? Lame. UPDATE: A helpful reader pointed out that 'Scry Location' exists, and does exactly what I was wishing Scry did. Booya! 'Scry Location' is so totally a thing in the 2YE world.
There are a bunch of things you won't see, either because I dislike them or can't be bothered to learn about them:
  • Psionics (I've had a hate on for them since they were first introduced. If you want to play video games with 'mana bars' fine, but keep them out of my danged RPG.)
  • Anything Epic. No Epic spells, items, etc. No Epic Handbook. Characters can go past level 20 but they just continue at normal progression.
  • Prestige classes are unlikely to be used, although it's not a hard block. They irk my purist soul, but they are pretty interesting. (As far as "purist" goes, proper D&D classes are: fighter, paladin, ranger, barbarian, wizard, cleric, druid, thief ("thief", damnit. Not "rogue"!), and assassin. Oh, and sorcerors, because they're cool, and a variant that I've always thought should exist.
  • Most feats will not be used. I don't know the feat system terribly well and, for whatever reason, they break my suspension of disbelief. There will be a few (e.g. Two Weapon Fighting) where I knew that the actual activity could be done in real life and looked for the rules. But don't expect anyone to have the "Super Improved Master Apprentice Grand Poobah of Superior Crafting" feat.
  • Metamagic does not exist in the 2YE universe. It's a lot of fun, I like what it can do, and I think the game is stronger for having those rules. (Also, the Mailman build is epic.) The fact is though, it makes it too easy to break the game (cf the Mailman build). Instead of dealing with too many cases of "so, wait, the bad guy is smart enough to use metamagic, but not smart enough to really break the game with it?" I would rather simplify things by just not having the problem. There are already too many places where I'm forced to face the question "Why don't the Flobovians already [insert gamebreaking exploit here]" and the only answer I can give is "umm...well...because...hey, look over there, shiny object!"
UPDATE: It was pointed out to me that undead are immune to nonlethal damage and therefore cannot be knocked out. Oops. Well, new house rule: anything with a mind can be knocked out. You can't knock out zombies because there is no mind to be shocked into unconsciousness by pain. You can knock out a vampire or (in theory) a lich. You could even (really seriously in theory) knock out a ghost; how to inflict nonlethal damage on an incorporeal creature is left as an exercise for the Munchkins. I certainly have no idea how to do it, and do not intend to use the idea in the story.

Tell me what kinds of book more interest you and I can narrow down some recommendations.
That'd be nice, thanks. I'm into rational fiction. It's a niche genre.

As for your book, I'm not sure I got it right, but from the description I'm getting Larry Correia vibes of "Monster Hunter International" (which I didn't enjoy, but that's just a matter of tastes).

Last edited:

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Actually, the Two Year Emperor is based on D&D 3.5, I believe. Only slightly modified, as explained by the author:
Oh, wow. Thank you. I'm definitely going to check it out.

That'd be nice, thanks. I'm into rational fiction. It's a niche genre.
What pops into my head is Re-Start (Level-up book 1) by Sugralinov. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CKRMLJB/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i10

Great book. This book is the reason I started writing as it caused me to reevaluate my life and my life goals. Where I'm heading versus where I want to be.

Now, if you take this definition I just got from reddit on rational fiction -

Rationality" is a specific quality of any fictional work, independent of genres and settings. It describes the extent to which the work explores thoughtful behaviour of people in honest pursuit of their goals, as well as consequences of their behaviour on the fictional world or the story's plot. In highly-rational fiction, realistic intellectual agency is put above established literary tropes, and all other aspects of the narrative.

Highly-rational fiction could include one or more of the following features:

• Focus on intelligent characters solving problems through creative applications of their knowledge and resources.
  • Examination of goals and motives: the story makes reasons behind characters' decisions clear.
  • Intellectual pay-off: the story's climax features a satisfying intelligent solution to its problems.
  • Aspiring rationalism: the story heavily focuses on characters' thinking, or their attempts to improve their reasoning abilities. This is a feature of rationalist fiction, a subcategory of rational fiction.
  • Thoughtful worldbuilding: the fictional world follows known, consistent rules, as a consequence of rational background characters exploring it or building realistic social structures.
Presence of these particular features is not necessary: overall impression of the work is more important.

Adjacent tropes: Rational stories tend to include certain narrative elements. Though their presence doesn't make a story more rational, this community highly enjoys them. Most important ones include:

• Fair-Play Whodunnit: story's mysteries could be solved by attentive readers ahead of time.
  • Absence of Deus Ex Machina: established story rules are never broken.
  • Deconstruction: genre tropes are re-imagined in a more realistic manner.
  • Munchkinry: characters attempt to exploit their world's rules in creative, non-intuitive ways.
  • Genre Savviness: characters are familiar with common genre tropes and try to avoid or exploit them.

There are a few ways you could go. For the intelligent MC exploiting systems, you have Nobody103's Mother of Learning (free on Royal Road), Kit Falbo's Crafting of Chess, and there are two others I can't remember the name of. One is a student stuck in a time loop learning something like death magic or necromancy, and the other is your typical system awakening but the MC uses his smarts and guile to outwit the alien overlords (this one gets really wacky after book 1 anyways).

The first book I recommended, Reborn Apocalypse still applies too. The MC is intelligent, but isn't very special other than his greater knowledge of the system and future (from being reborn).

If you take this sentence from the definition - "It describes the extent to which the work explores thoughtful behaviour of people in honest pursuit of their goals, as well as consequences of their behaviour on the fictional world or the story's plot. In highly-rational fiction, realistic intellectual agency is put above established literary tropes, and all other aspects of the narrative." Then my book actually counts. But not if you are looking for either MC to be intelligent. The whole first part of the book is a realistic look on how a 12 YO girl of average to slightly below average intelligence could survive a dungeon. How she would have to change, the mindset she'd have to embrace, the injuries she'd have to overcome, trauma, crazy thoughts, what needs to be surrendered to persevere.

As for the Monster Hunter International similarity, I don't see it. In my book, everyone on earth is sent to a "contest." This contest is a series of dungeons gating leveling. Dungeon area 1 has the tutorial dungeon and dungeon 1. You need to beat dungeon 1 to level up to level 2. Dungeon area 2 has two dungeons (2-1 and 2-2). Dungeon area 3 has three. All the way up to dungeon area 20. Beat dungeon 20-20 and you enter a large open epic area, pick an epic class, and can level up to 30 freely. At dungeon area 10, most of the best fighters of humanity die. The manage to beat 20, and clear early raids, but get stuck on 24 person level 27 mythic level raid for years and years. A guy Bruno, the toughest human left, is send back through a time machine to give humanity a second chance. He loses all progress and items, but keeps his achievements. One achievement allows him to port to the city and back to his port location once a day. This allows him to get to the city and take control of the government on day 1. He can also send messages to all living humans and provides them with system and build info. The issue is everyone hates Bruno. Imagine if an amalgam of Major Payne, Cleve, and Roqua were in charge in this situation.

Kim is also messed up from surviving for a year on her own in a dungeon. Bruno is messed up due to being Bruno. They become friends and their different types of crazy compliment each other, and improve each other. They both make each other better people.

My book may certainly not be one that interests you, but I hope at least one of my recommendations gives you enjoyment. Restart is just fantastic for everyone, especially people interested in self-improvement. Crafting of Chess should be exactly what you want in rational fiction.

I really appreciate letting me know about the other 3.5 book.

If anyone else is interested in some recommendations, feel free to let me know.

Last edited:

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
5 thalers
I noticed your signature line regarding base management. There are two LitRPG I'd recommend off the top of my head. Summoned! to an RPG World and Summoned! to a GrimWorld. The first is on Amazon and is more focused on kingdom management and conquest like Total War and King Arthur (with hero characters). The second is a serial being posted on Royal Road, where the "colony" starts barebones making lean-tos and starting from scratch. Title is a play in RimWorld. A lot of LitRPGs have base building, but it usually isn't a central focus. Life Reset is another great series with heavy base building, but not as heavily as the Summoned! books.

Acrux

Arcane
What the fuck is LitRPG? Does it mean something like Fighting Fantasy? If so, I've never heard it called that before and none of the titles mentioned sound remotely familiar.

laclongquan

Arcane
Hmmm, I don’t think I sold the story very well. It may start off with a whinny little girl,
... 15 YO raging, yet chaste, homosexual cross dressing son
... A low-functioning autistic child
... A guy going around sleeping with many women a la The Witcher’s Geralt

... An attractive, possibly Sikh, special needs teacher

... A stinky girl who pees on the faces of her dead enemies

... A horny Thai woman

Souped-up 3.5e a la Pathfinder

... A military officer who possibly looks like Chris Avellone

... A bearded fat lady

So horny gay boy, autist, chad, Sikh/Thai? And starting with a whiny girl?

WTF? Are you writing for politic agenda? Or are you writing for writing?

YOu are wandering all over the left field, I can tell you that.

1st. Whiny little girl. Other than her daddy, nobody want to hear about whiny little girl. Or read. Dont let whiny little girls appear as first character or first scene.

2nd. Your character roster is messed up~ Those weirdos may fit the req for a political writing, but for pure reading they dont fit at all. Even with a school theme it's not ... attractive.

3rd. DONT write for politic unless you get the money upfront. Politic might sounds cool but selling is a pure ordeal. People say "get woke, go broke" not without clear basis. We dont want to read left-bias, we dont want to read right-bias. We read those biased writing because they are GOOD not because of those ideologism.
(Dont let the buggers writing litrpg fool you. All that political stories they write for RPG? They got the money upfront. If they rely on their writing to get audience or money they would be starved. Because those loudmouth leftist/rightist are not MAJORITY of reader bloc.)

Last edited:

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
You should give it a try. There really aren't any politics at all, and those points were more silly and aimed at how the community here is viewed by the outside world. I'd be interesting in hearing any feedback you may have. Try it to chapter 10. I'd love to hear if you think any points above still apply or if you have new feedback.

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Just to give an example. I log in this morning and happen to look at the chat and see this from Cleve -
Women doing all the hard work is a fantasy. Never happened in any workplace I've ever been in. Women do a tiny amount of work and want a huge amount of credit for it, despite it being so unimportant nobody would have noticed if they had done nothing. Meanwhile the Aspies like Atlas lift the entire globe of the company and people tape KICK ME signs to their back while they are doing it.
That is comedy. It goes right into my quotable quotes from Cleve and Rogua. In order to make a character saying stuff like this, you have to be careful. How did Major Payne get away with saying and doing crazy things to kids? How does Kenny Powers get away with so much? How did Neil Gamby and Lee Russell? The only way to do it is to present the character in a way where you know he isn't to be modelled or emulated, and have the context, content and characters around them present a different, saner, and more acceptable view.

I don't think many people watching Three's Company and get offended by Mr. Roper or Mr. Furley. It's all in how you present and context. This book is no more political than East Bound & Down, Vice Principles, and Major Payne. I tried to do it in a way where I could have very offensive materials and pearl clutchers of all political stripes would find it amusing. It isn't easy to have a character using some of the greatest material Cleve and Roqua have given us over the years, such as real men only have four emotions, 99.9% of men are homosexuals, Roqua's point system for being gay, there are only like eight or nine colors, women have teeny tiny squirrel brains, et cetera, et cetera - but I think I did a good job. Especially considering the book usually has a more serious tone.

laclongquan

Arcane
Your character roster give it away~ The waft of bias, of politic is rising strong. If you have anything else that can lure people, use it. because just by roster I wont read you. I dont get paid to read political writing these days.

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Your character roster give it away~ The waft of bias, of politic is rising strong. If you have anything else that can lure people, use it. because just by roster I wont read you. I dont get paid to read political writing these days.
You're entitled to your opinion, and more power to you. But I'm telling you, you have the wrong idea. I won't read books that are too political either. When I read, I look for escapism, not propaganda. I am willing to guarantee if you read what is up so far (and the rest), you will not find the book political. This Monday, the last chapter of the part 1 will be up, ending the first arc. I'll tell you what - if you read through all of part 1 and find it political, I'll donate $5 on your behalf and you can have all the potatoes from it (if this is allowed) and the titles (if allowed), and you can go add free for a month. All I'm asking for is you to honestly answer if you find it political.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom