Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Load times in Unity RPGs

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Most devs skimp out on the optimization these days. That's why most modern games run like ass.

Prime Junta

Most devs skimp out on the optimization these days. That's why most modern games run like ass.

Which ones for example?

I think the last game I played that had performance issues so bad that it made a serious dent into my enjoyment of it was Witcher 1 on release, and that was 13 years ago. As far as I'm concerned games run really well nowadays for the most part. Hardly and CTDs or other bullshit that was completely routine back in the day either.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If you compare recent unoptimized games with recent optimized games, you quickly see the difference right away. D:OS1 and 2 for example have great, buttery smooth performance. When you compare them to Kingmaker or PoE, you see how janky and patchwork PoE and Kingmaker seem.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If you compare recent unoptimized games with recent optimized games, you quickly see the difference right away. D:OS1 and 2 for example have great, buttery smooth performance. When you compare them to Kingmaker or PoE, you see how janky and patchwork they seem in comparison.
I do agree with the statement about optimization,tho i don't agree with your examples. DOS games weren't that well optimized on release,they did had their problems.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I didn't play them on release, but they are great now. Both PoEs and Kingmaker still have massive performance issues and awful loading times.

Quillon

Arcane
All of this is well-known, even the devs acknowledged these problems and promised* to fix them in the sequels. PoE2's loading times are even worse, so

Deadfire's loading times are shit but somewhat steady shit, Kingmaker's gradually getting worse, worse than Deadfire in the last third of the game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Deadfire's loading times are shit but somewhat steady shit, Kingmaker's gradually getting worse, worse than Deadfire in the last third of the game.
I meant Deadfire's loading times are worse than PoE1's, even though they promised to do something about that. We'll see how Kingmaker 2 will fare.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Unity's a difficult engine to optimize, no perfect engines. :M

gabe_newell.jpeg

Lacrymas

Arcane
We all agree Unity is a piece of shit, but it can be more or less salvaged. I don't think Owlcat or Obsidian even tried salvaging it. The utterly mindblowing jank that is PoE1 and 2 is a marvel to behold. They couldn't load two separate maps at the same time (like the two floors of the bordellos in both PoE1 and 2), so the game forces a loading screen for what are essentially two adjacent rooms. D:OS1 and 2 load the entire area along with indoor areas. Even though one has 2D maps and the other 3D, I know the 2D maps can be done because of the Infinity Engine games.

Prime Junta

What beats me about the Pillars interior loading shit though is this -- why didn't they simply put all the interiors on a single map, and make stairs/doors etc teleport you between them?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom