Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

maidsoft

Novice
Gamezor
I would recommend the PC version, as that's what I played (set DOSBOX video to CGA to get the correct color palette). Where Are We works fine with it if you want an automap. If you do play this version, you may want to backup your save files unless you want to play it "as intended" with permadeath.
You could also emulate the PSX version, which is a good port of the original game with nothing removed. It's a Japanese game but can be set to English, has an automap, and you can even switch between classic and modern graphics.

It would be kind of nice to play on a handheld and I have already resigned myself to auto map. I just know I won’t finish without it. Is psx preferred over snes version?
I personally think the PSX versions are the best, but I don't think it actually matters that much.

newtmonkey

Arcane
I personally prefer the PC version (it's much quicker to play and I am weirdly fond of the CGA graphics), but the PSX version is the console version I'd recommend. I'd recommend turning off the polygonal dungeons as they look terrible, but I do like both options for the monster graphics. Luckily you can toggle everything independently.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
lol wut (Tale of the Forsaken Land)

8DSd8Kr.jpg

hkGcTsJ.jpg

HFCsHJE.jpg

IksTJPo.jpg

newtmonkey

Arcane
Dorarnae
Have you tried playing the Saturn remake of Wizardry VII? It's streamlined like the PSX remake, but less awful (uses the original monster/character art rather than the hideous polygonal models of the PSX version).

darkSaviour

Novice
Has anyone heard about of a game called Abyss and Dark? I was searching for wizardry like games and i found it, it's almost graphically similar to the first games but i am not experienced with them (yet) to know if it's a mobile conversion or what (design seems almost identical, from cover to interface and enemy design).
Don't know if i can post links to their website, search for that name or アビスアンドダーク and you can see it.

Outside that, i quite enjoy this thread and i decided to sign up. About Wizardry games that are difficult to translate i think it'd be interesting to make some kind of visual guide with screenshots and translations to check: a section for the menu elements, a table with items, another with the dialogs. At least the first one to have would be good and not too difficult to create.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Dorarnae
Have you tried playing the Saturn remake of Wizardry VII? It's streamlined like the PSX remake, but less awful (uses the original monster/character art rather than the hideous polygonal models of the PSX version).

I don't have a saturn. I haven't played much the psx version but it seemed bad with the little load time before each fight(compared to pc).

Dorarnae

Arbiter

could always hope for a remake of wizardry 6 and 7. I managed to beat 6 and it was alright but I dunno 7 I just can't...

What's wrong with 7?

the map I guess, quite big, even though I spent like 50 hours to grind in the beginning I feel like my guys still suck or rather their mp drains quickly and having to rest everywhere annoys me.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

Kinda forgot about this game.

I don't see any release date for steam.

:negative:

Ps4 and vita only.The only surprising thing is no switch version.

That's pretty disappointing.

I guess the first one did not sold enough copies on steam to warrant a pc release for the sequel :|.

That's a terrible shame if true, hope they are just getting it out on primary platforms first before porting to steam. Will be an auto-buy from me.

Dorarnae

Arbiter

Kinda forgot about this game.

I don't see any release date for steam.

:negative:

Ps4 and vita only.The only surprising thing is no switch version.

That's pretty disappointing.

I guess the first one did not sold enough copies on steam to warrant a pc release for the sequel :|.

First game is on steam because of Nis america. I wouldn't be too worried, like experience inc. game that were only available on console in japan are almost (if not all?) available on steam. pretty sure nis america will port it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I hope gog/steam get Mary Skelter 2 & finale. I check out Idea Factory and its subsiduaries here and there (Compile Heart, Otomate, Design Factory, Idea Factory International), but only as far as PC. It'd be nice if their entire library was PC available. Is there a IF thread?

First page is a bit rough on pics. Your photobucket account must've expired or links to others accounts expired.

Last edited:

Twizman

Scholar
Thanks for the gameplay Dorarnae (drpg 4ever). Do you create your party members in Galleria? Wondering if it's different from the monster recruitment style of the first game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom