Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

jungl

Augur
How is the game length wise stranger in sword city was too short. The best thing about elminage gothic it gives you your moneys worth. If you want to map out a entire dungeon then prepare for all those pits, one way doors, confusing layouts and enemies that punish you if don't spend at least a little time getting new equipment.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
I thought stranger of sword city had the perfect lenght since the dungeon aren't that great. Yomi wo Saku Hana is longer and the dungeon after the first one aren't that good either(well there are a few place where it's alright but overall it's not that great).

hackncrazy

Savant
How is the game length wise stranger in sword city was too short. The best thing about elminage gothic it gives you your moneys worth. If you want to map out a entire dungeon then prepare for all those pits, one way doors, confusing layouts and enemies that punish you if don't spend at least a little time getting new equipment.

Since you mentioned mapping out, do you guys usually play DRPGs mapping them yourselves or do you always use the automap settings available (at least in most recents ones there's always an automap).

If you draw yourselves, what do you use? Excel? Pen & Paper?

newtmonkey

Arcane
hackncrazy

It depends on the game for me. For modernish games, I'll use the automap since they don't seem designed around mapping puzzles. If I play an older game and draw it myself, I always use graph paper as I find Excel and even tools like Grid Cartographer to be just too slow/clunky to use.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
only game I mapped on paper was Wizardry prisoners of the battle. oh and a small section of student of round(floor where a bunch of chute were and didn't find any map online so I draw one to keep track...)

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm sure some of the dungeons of Elminage Gothic would be very enjoyable to map by paper. it has some great dungeons. But the game is so big, I don't think nobody has time for that. An old school game like Wizardry 1-5 has only one dungeon, so you can explore carefully, enjoy manual cartography and finish the journey. Games today are 5-10 times the size (Wiz 5 is big dungeon but even then smaller than today games).

Honestly I would prefer that they cut the filler and subpar content. Nowadays they are more focused on party development with more evolved mechanics and story, than pure dungeon crawling.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Which one of you is DRPG 4EVER on youtube? Is it you Dorarnae?

yeah it's me. I had another channel before but it got banned (thx atlus jp). so I eventually made a new one and tried to replay most dungeon crawler. heh.
Is the channel down again? The videos were great, I'd love to see them back

nah decided to close my channel. got tired of youtube censorship...anyway I haven't been playing much lately, decided to go back read some book.

Lukifell

Educated
Anyone know if an English ROM for Wizardry Summoner exists?

Also when did the whole guild/guildhall thing in JRPGs start? Did the Japanese Wizardry spin-offs start it?

Suissant

Novice
Can you import characters from one game to another in Llegalmyn Saga for the PlayStation ? Also, is it possible to import characters from Llygalmyn Saga to New Age (obviously to Wizardry V)?

Amurada

Educated
still playing Labyrinth of Galleria. still kinda mix feeling, I started to reincarnate my doll, so now they have higher stat but also more points to allocate into passive and they keep all their previous passive too, probably get crazy later with all the passive you can choose, but this seems really fun, there's also 2 set of facet, not sure if they have the same skill or not but lots of stuff to play around with characters. main issue are with the dungeon/monster variety I guess, I just did a 120 ish floor dungeon that is randomly generated(which isn't too fun) and now I have to do another one about the same size. the first two dungeon had great design, though you spend way too much time in it and with the lack of variety of monster/music....

the mechanics are there and are great but saddly I feel there are some problem that really doesn't help the game. I hope I'll have some impressive looking boss later, it's been disapointing so far.
is Galleria still primarily auto-battle like Refrain was? I was initially turned off due to the emphasis of it in the first game; although I plan to go back and give it another go. Would be nice if it was either gone in Galleria; or if it at least serves more of a purpose or is more involved like Disgaea 6's D.I. system was.

Suissant

Novice
The author of graph paper has made an english translated version using the power of Google™ Translate, this will make using it way easier.

http://rumtum.sblo.jp/article/188837985.html

GridCartographer is better

It isn't that much better for an expensive software (49$).

Connormpgs, thank god for linking that. I was searching everywhere for a free mapping program and could never find it. This one is perfect for what I have in mind. Hell I mapped the first 4 levels of Dungeon Master with this little piece of "japanese-made for japanese-wizardry" piece of software. Thank you.

Suissant

Novice
I'm sure some of the dungeons of Elminage Gothic would be very enjoyable to map by paper. it has some great dungeons. But the game is so big, I don't think nobody has time for that. An old school game like Wizardry 1-5 has only one dungeon, so you can explore carefully, enjoy manual cartography and finish the journey. Games today are 5-10 times the size (Wiz 5 is big dungeon but even then smaller than today games).

Honestly I would prefer that they cut the filler and subpar content. Nowadays they are more focused on party development with more evolved mechanics and story, than pure dungeon crawling.

Well, I'm not as old as you so I would have to disagree on that.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The author of graph paper has made an english translated version using the power of Google™ Translate, this will make using it way easier.

Leagues better, it's not even close in comparison, though you're right it's expensive. You get what you pay for in this case

Suissant

Novice

Leagues better, it's not even close in comparison, though you're right it's expensive. You get what you pay for in this case

It serves for my purposes well enough. Grid based mapper, with tokens, icons and message tools. You can resize your map to as many grids as you want. It's everything I need to map my favourites crawlers and I don't need anything more sophisticated specially if it costs that much.

flyingjohn

Arcane
So what jap dungeon crawlers are considered mediocre to bad?
Managed to gather these suspects:
-Ray gigant
-Mind zero

I know experience inc newer games are on the easier side,but are there any other stuff that should be avoided?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom