Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

Ysaye

Arbiter
So - thinking of getting an Analogue Pocket that can play GB, GBC and GBA games - is the sum total of Wizardry games for those platforms the following?

• Wizardry Summoner (no translation)
  • Wizardry Gaiden 1
  • Wizardry Gaiden 2
  • Wizardry Gaiden 3
  • Wizardry Empire 1
  • Wizardry Empire 2
What other dungeon crawlers are there? Sword of Hope 1 and 2?

ChaDargo

Arcane
So - thinking of getting an Analogue Pocket that can play GB, GBC and GBA games - is the sum total of Wizardry games for those platforms the following?

• Wizardry Gaiden 1
  • Wizardry Gaiden 2
  • Wizardry Gaiden 3
  • Wizardry Empire 1
  • Wizardry Empire 2

Mazes of Fate (GBA)? I never played it but it doesn't look half bad.

ChaDargo

Arcane
I've been perusing this thread and didn't catch any mention of this free mapping tool. I've never really mapped a dungeon and have avoided games that require self-made maps, but this thing makes me want to give them a try for once.

https://gridmonger.johnnovak.net

Anyone have experience using it? How does it compare to Grid Cartographer? I don't want to pay for it (I'm cheap and I don't 100% know I want to map something). Gridmonger looks awesome but, yet again, never done this sort of thing.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I've been perusing this thread and didn't catch any mention of this free mapping tool. I've never really mapped a dungeon and have avoided games that require self-made maps, but this thing makes me want to give them a try for once.

https://gridmonger.johnnovak.net

Anyone have experience using it? How does it compare to Grid Cartographer? I don't want to pay for it (I'm cheap and I don't 100% know I want to map something). Gridmonger looks awesome but, yet again, never done this sort of thing.
Our resident Rincewind is the developer of Gridmonger. Here's the thread.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
done couple games with gridmonger its great
have not used grid cartographer so can't compare em

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
If I had known about Gridmonger, I probably wouldn't have bought Grid Cartographer. I'm sticking with GC for now but Gridmonger also seems perfect for blobbers, and lacks popamole automapping.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Did anyone sink any hours into Jettatura? I have the game in my Steam library and I gave it a half whirl the other day and am thinking actually investing some time into it.....

═█═

Literate
Did anyone sink any hours into Jettatura? I have the game in my Steam library and I gave it a half whirl the other day and am thinking actually investing some time into it.....
It's on my wishlist so if you get invested into it please post your impressions of it. I want to know how it stacks up to other bloobers.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
been re-playing wizardry tale of the forsaken land. was on my way to floor8 and haven't saved my game for a while. I knew there was a boss on the 8th floor but didn't remember if I had acces to the shortcut first. Anyway I get there, fight against the flesh golem. I try restrict shot first, he cast Amok which do big damage to my front row, then I try to cast a heal quickly with my priest/thief but he manage to cast a freeze spell first that heavily damage my entire party (my party a bit low lvl). so my front row is dead except Hinna. I try to spell cancel him but he starts to use melee only now. eventually my party die and I turn off the console....

sigh. lol.

Twizman

Scholar
Saw this in a developer update for Wizardry Five Ordeals 23 Dec 22’:

‘The game has sold a total of 25,000 units, and we will continue to develop the game next year so that even more users can enjoy it, including the upcoming DLC and 1.0, as well as the console versions that are scheduled to follow the 1.0.’

There’s going to be console versions? Anyone know which are planned?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Saw this in a developer update for Wizardry Five Ordeals 23 Dec 22’:

‘The game has sold a total of 25,000 units, and we will continue to develop the game next year so that even more users can enjoy it, including the upcoming DLC and 1.0, as well as the console versions that are scheduled to follow the 1.0.’

There’s going to be console versions? Anyone know which are planned?
Honestly 25000 copies sold of an old, obscure and niche title with low production values is pretty good.

Totally deserved. They made a great work bringing back this great Wizardry framework. Hope they achieve succes in the future updates, I will support without hesitations.

somerandomdude

Learned
Honestly 25000 copies sold of an old, obscure and niche title with low production values is pretty good.
I hope that motivates them to give us Tale of the Forsaken Land and Busin0, which are both considerably better games than Five Ordeals, IMO.

The problem with these old school dungeon crawlers is they're all resource management games. You have to get through a floor without spending all your items and MP resources, and if your party isn't strong enough to do that, then you have to grind. The addition of allied actions allowed for another way to play strategically and conserve resources, and it was still balanced in a way where the game still had a challenge. Even if you have an over leveled party, you still had to respect that the enemy could still take you out of you didn't use your allied actions appropriately.

Last edited:

Dorarnae

Arbiter
I haven't tried other scenarios from five ordeal, traveler's property is brutal, lost another party tonight.... but Prisoners of the battles is good.

Tale of forsaken land is good for it's scenario and some interraction in the dungeon(which I agree many game dungeon do feel a bit empty), but for difficulty I'd rank it on the easy side. Also the stats on some items are a bit weird, like I'd much rather have a dagger because of it's high accuracy and hitting two time(with your str stat you still deal decent dmg) than a bunch of weapon with negative accuracy. You're also somewhat stuck with the story character, they're usually stronger than your character and give additionnal conversations.
The 'sequel' fix a lot of problem the first game had, much faster battle system by skipping all animation, more class and harder game overall, though if you get one Allied action in particular(you can miss it because quest have deadline), the game gets much easier.
they're great game, I played them more than once but I wouldn't say they're better.

Elminage is the best though :)

Ysaye

Arbiter
I haven't tried other scenarios from five ordeal, traveler's property is brutal, lost another party tonight.... but Prisoners of the battles is good.

Tale of forsaken land is good for it's scenario and some interraction in the dungeon(which I agree many game dungeon do feel a bit empty), but for difficulty I'd rank it on the easy side. Also the stats on some items are a bit weird, like I'd much rather have a dagger because of it's high accuracy and hitting two time(with your str stat you still deal decent dmg) than a bunch of weapon with negative accuracy. You're also somewhat stuck with the story character, they're usually stronger than your character and give additionnal conversations.
The 'sequel' fix a lot of problem the first game had, much faster battle system by skipping all animation, more class and harder game overall, though if you get one Allied action in particular(you can miss it because quest have deadline), the game gets much easier.
they're great game, I played them more than once but I wouldn't say they're better.

Elminage is the best though :)

I haven't played Busin0 but I agree with your opinion on Foresaken Land. Also agree on Traveler's Property.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Five ordeal put out their dungeon maker?
Everything translated to english?
Can you transfer parties to different scrnarios?

• Wizardry Gaiden 1
  • Wizardry Gaiden 2
  • Wizardry Gaiden 3
  • Wizardry Empire 1
  • Wizardry Empire 2

Mazes of Fate (GBA)? I never played it but it doesn't look half bad.
What is an analogue pocket?

Edit---- ah!
https://store.analogue.co/

I wonder if i could get those games to work on my iphone. Dunno why nintendo or whomever doesn't try to capitalize on phones more.

Bah! I didn't see his later update:

Last edited:

Dorarnae

Arbiter
So I spent quite a while lvling up on traveler's property, was around lvl22 and made it to floor 10. was doing ok overall, til I met a big group of gold dragon with breath that petrifies , now I need another rescue party :negative:

Dorarnae

Arbiter
DB46033C21DE392303BB3139ADE3E0382F0FACF6

Some of the monsters like this guy have so much hp...I think I'll farm some more before going to floor10.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
What do you guys think of Wizardry 5? It's definitely good for a breather after trudging through Wizardry 4.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Maybe SNES Hacked, maybe.

Man, it runs fast though I'm more of an original version fan.

Man that original though:

C64?

Uh.. that ain't right. That's Spell of Destruction.

Well this did come with my physical archive

Or go playstation.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I dunno. Feeling the apple is better.

Eh? There's a TurnoGrafx version?

Psh.. some video

jUzLmKt.jpg

Somewhere a storm is brewing...

Yib76mx.jpg

He is tired of his harem.

AL7uuv0.jpg

No longer can he help himself.. he searches.

3kA89f4.jpg

Something tingles inside...

WoQ4Upf.jpg

WTF! Knock it off you perv.

Last edited:

Reality

Learned
Wiz 5 pretty good but I find it one of the only classic wizardry where you end on a high party level... 1/3 I barely get my 2nd level 7 spell and finish

Has some quirks too it : it's the only wizardry I use bishop's because there's a ton of plot items and unlike most games they must be identified before use.

There's a lot of dialog and puzzles but floor 1-6 are normal and mostly about collecting stuff for the "all puzzle floors" at the end 7-8

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom