Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Longtime Larian composer Kirill Pokrovsky has passed away

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Kirill Pokrovsky; Larian Studios

Computer games are a young medium. Young enough that deaths, even of the early pioneers, are still a rare occurrence. Events like today's remind us that even in the escapist realms of fantasy, time comes for us all. After a period of undisclosed illness, Kirill Pokrovsky, Larian Studios' longtime composer, has passed away, at the age of just 50. Larian have published a special Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter update to honor his memory:

A great man, a fantastic composer and a good friend passed away yesterday. Rest in peace Kirill Pokrovsky – we will miss you.

And thank you for all the gifts you’ve given us. We each have our own Kirill story and many of us have Kirill presents on their desks. All of them demonstrate how rich a person you were.

We’ve all hummed your music and we have marvelled at how far your virtuosity went. You were truly somebody unique, a true artist, and we were very lucky to have you as a colleague.

Your greatest to us gift of course was your music that you shared with us on many occasions. The following concert in particular was really special for us, in the midst of a chaotic Kickstarter campaign, you brought us a moment of peace and joy.

What few people saw was exactly how cool you were behind the scenes as this piece of unreleased footage shows:

Larian will never be the same again without you.

We will remember you always.

So sad. But at least he lived to see Larian finally achieve the success that they deserved. They've got some big shoes to fill now.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
:| Shit...
It's true Larian will never be the same, his music pieces were often miles above the games they were in, in terms of quality standards.
To think he was showing his buttcrack on video just a few months ago, and now this ?
I guess that's cancer, does somebody know?

Zeriel

Arcane
Oh, shit. This is sad. I think it's safe to say their games won't ever be quite the same again.

Angthoron

Arcane
Rest in peace, Kirill.

This is really sad stuff. His music made Larian games have a special flair. So many good pieces left unwritten :(

A user named cat

That's terrible. He was probably my favorite video game composer. If it weren't for his deeply atmospheric tracks, I would've never played through Divine Divinity numerous times. His songs were able to invoke entire environments on their own and suck you in for hours. The game could've been ASCII-based and would've felt no different while exploring.

I've listened to a lot of his stuff even outside of games and while reading over the past 6+ years, including his piano and ambient work. He was right up there with Vangelis and Brian Eno amongst favorites. He'll definitely be missed.

RIP

Last edited by a moderator:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Shit, nobody should die that young. I had Divinity 2 minimized when I read the message, now it just won't be the same.
He was one of the few composers for western role-playing games whose songs weren't generic epics or fantasy ambiance. His music was actually noticeable, and it was good. Damn good. He was probably the best WRPG composer out there.
It's really a shame.

RIP in peace, we will all miss you

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Punch in the gut. :( Larian games owe a lot of their charm and personality to Kirill's compositions. He will be sorely missed.

DraQ

Arcane
He was the reason their games had a soul while others had to make do with just Soule.
He was also the guy you could point towards when trying to define generic videogame music and say "it's the opposite of what this guy does".
:salute:
Well, from now on it will be "did" ever since:
Rest in peace, Kirill.

This is really sad stuff. His music made Larian games have a special flair. So many good pieces left unwritten :(

:( :decline:

Last edited:

getter77

Augur
A damn shame and really puts into perspective just how rare composers of his caliber are, in the gaming side of things or otherwise---though the former endlessly struggles for proper societal legitimacy versus film and whatnot.

I wonder if he was able to complete any final scores for one or more of Larian's projects yet to come/be announced in full?

soulburner

Cipher
Truly saddened by the news :(

His music was amazing, I often stopped in Larian games just to listen to the audio track. I was hoping to hear more when he gets better... Rest in peace.

nikolokolus

Arcane
A true musical genius operating in a business full of hacks and work-a-day stiffs.

Truly saddened by this news.

Delterius

Arcane
He was also the guy you could point towards when trying to define generic videogame music and say "it's the opposite of what this guy does".
For what its worth, it falls on us to continue to do so. To show Kirill's work to people because I got to say, he's definitely underappreciated.

RIP

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom