Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a system for my next camp.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
So I'm hatching a new campaign for my players, but there's one thing missing - the system. I was thinking of Pathfinder, but I would have to limit a lot to do that. Then I thought about Warhammer, but it's too grim for what I want.
Why not ask other people?

What I'm looking for in the system:
- Fantasy, Low or no magic - The system may have some magic mechanics, but I won't be giving the players option to have them.
- Gives the players options, lots of them - like DnD or Warhammer. Since players are going to be limited to noncasters, then I need a wide range of classes/professions/etc.
- Quick and easy - I don't want another full of mechanics system. The less rules for everything, the better.
- Still feel like the hero - I'm searching for something like it is in DnD, where the players play the most powerful people in the world - the heroes. It's more optional here, but I want the players to feel that they're stronger than some alleyway thug.

Oh, and if you're interested in what the campaign is about, then just ask.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Burning wheel ;)

The rules take some getting used to but are fairly intuitive. There's a simplified (but still good) version of the system called Mouse Guard. If your players think they're manly enough to take on a motherfucking owl.

Telengard

Arcane
  • The Dark Eye - you know, Realms of Arkania
  • Pendragon - skill-based system. magic is rare, and users of magic rarer, and magic is not a destructive force for even those who do wield it. might be too setting-specific for what you have in mind
  • FUDGE - almost as rules-lite as you can get, if you want, since you tailor your own version yourself out of a set of tools. also free

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
  • FUDGE - almost as rules-lite as you can get, if you want, since you tailor your own version yourself out of a set of tools. also free

This sounds good (I looked at the '95 edition). You played it? Are there any DM pitfalls? By that I mean something like the grappling rules in DnD.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
To add another system to look at, you might want to consider Savage Worlds.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
To add another system to look at, you might want to consider Savage Worlds.

2 problems with that system. I think it's too heroic for my campaign and... my players don't like it. Not because of the system, but because one of the most disliked players/DMs in our group was forcing it on to us - "It's great! Better than this WoD shit!".

Why WoD? Well... he didn't like that I, being the Storyteller, used his critical failure, when he was jumping on rooftops, to fall on a small child, killing it. Next time don't take Flaws (Prey Exclusion - Children) that I can use against you. <insert evil laugh> How it all ended up? He charged at some mutated by Tzimisce dogs that just ate his legs and his character "lost the will to live" (the player wanted to quit). He became a fireplace decoration for one of the players.

Back on track, I think FUDGE will suit my preferences. Just need to get on my hands some good dice, not those fugly Q-Workshop ones.

Telengard

Arcane
I have played it, on both sides of the table. There's even a couple of professional releases that have used FUDGE .Most issues lie in it being a "storyteller" game, but since you've GMed WoD, you won't have any trouble with any of those.

I've seen two other main things catch people
  1. Since one can tailor everything, some people get really immersed into crafting the system exactly as they want, and they never actually finish making the adventure
  2. Because roll results are a bell curve, Stalemates can occur easily between people of equal ability - so competitive tests of skill of those who are of equal skill can end up lasting a ridiculously long time
The fact that attributes and skills aren't linked also throws some groups, to the point where they throw a hissy fit when they find out. Really. Of course, since FUDGE is an open system, people have already made linked versions and stuck them online.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom