Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for associate(s) to develop an indie rpg game

But isn't your aspiration to make games? I confess continued confusion about your position here. Or are you imagining that you'll be some grand computer game auteur, the next Luc Bernard or John Romero, who doesn't play by the rules and bows down to no one, no one, because of the sheer masculine power of his art, his music, and his prosthetic ears?

In any event, in part because I realize you're ESL, I'll remind you that my prior posts make clear that I do not work in the game industry.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Except he wasn't smug. At best he was underestimating the amount of work it takes. Then again, some indies do it with one full time artist.

And damn, now you've set it as your signature? Ahahaham how juvenile. And you expect us to believe you were almost a Bioware top writer? How old are you kid, seriously?

11. But I have a wonderful gift for imagination, especially for a retard!

I find your reaction perplexing, but perplexity is the natural state of stupid failures like me. If you go back and read my posts (and my PMs) to your beloved protege, please pull out the things that I said that were unfair, meanspirited, and unprovoked. I certainly don't deny that they were critical, and firmly so. I don't think it's productive to flatter people into taking ultimately doomed courses (see., e.g., Bush and Georgia) rather than giving them realistic assessments of what they need to do to get the most they can out of their aspirations.

I looked at an overweening amateur who thought he had what it took to single handedly generate most of the content in an RPG in a year or two. I thought the appropriate tone and advice was to tell him he couldn't. You thought that patting him on the back and telling him he's great made sense. Obviously he's going to respond to your approach with desperate admiration and to mine with impotent fury. But c'est la vie. I still think my advice was more helpful than yours.

Mojo

Scholar
WanderingThrough2 said:
11. But I have a wonderful gift for imagination, especially for a retard!

I would like to clarify that the number 11 probably refers to his mental age.

I also find it curious -- do you guys really think that you're persuading third parties, or yourselves, or me, that I'm stupid and you're smart? I mean, geez. At least pursue a course you might succeed on, like I'm a jerk critic and you guys are admirable creators, and creators of the world unite! But trying to say I'm retarded, juvenile, and stupid? Double plus ungood indeed.

[EDIT: In fairness, this was probably a bit over the top: "You obviously don't know a thing about art, or about modeling. You pack your threads with a mix of bizarre lies and boasts -- like the assertion that your amateurish boxmen are superior to Oblivion's character models -- and you go ballistic at the slightest criticism. Why would anyone want to work with, let alone for, you?" But the basis was true!]

Mojo

Scholar
NN probably is into making games for the fun of it, as myself. Regardless, it's way more productive than trolling on the codex, amirite?

I don't know what are you smoking, but here are the facts :

You jumped into this thread saying I don't know shit about cg art, that I'm a con man, a lier, that my work sucks ( specially character models) that anyone that works with me is in it for a loosing streak, that I can't do x number of things and that I'm bound to fail in any attempt I make at games.and then you ask me what's wrong with you?

It's very simple, anyone that's so desperate to freely attack anyone for no good reason ( I assume you don't have one, besides being fucked up) and discourage others is probably a frustrated looser that has nowhere to run to.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
No need to persuade third parties or anyone. Unlike yourself I'm not doing this to look good/clever/superior in front of the other forum readers so that I can feel better about myself.

Calling you a critic would be giving you too much credit.

Mojo said:
You jumped into this thread saying I don't know shit about cg art, that I'm a con man, a lier, that my work sucks ( specially character models) that anyone that works with me is in it for a loosing streak, that I can't do x number of things and that I'm bound to fail in any attempt I make at games.and then you ask me what's wrong with you?

Nonsense. You posted a public thread on a board known for giving hard feedback. You made a series of outlandish claims about your work, including
(a) you had completed 20% of the content of the game;
(b) your partner flaked out because he had problems and couldn't hack it;
(c) your artwork was better than Bethesda's;
(d) that you're a professional artist;
(e) you were a fantastic composer (on Iron Tower you suggest you'd produce a better soundtrack than most games');
(f) that you're a writer;
(g) that J1M didn't know a thing about 3D art;
(h) that you don't need concept art;
(i) that you don't need a design document;
(j) that you're "very modest";
(k) that mainstream games suck and are run by douchebags;
(l) that you don't recommend indie game making and that your last project only got as far as it did by luck;
(m) that you have the technical skills and knowledge to singlehandedly do all the art and music for a game;
(n) that everyone giving you criticisms is a troll.

At that point, I entered the thread because you seemed like an utterly pompous asshole who didn't know what he was talking about.

I told you:
(a) your art wasn't professional quality; it was good amateur freelancer work;
(b) it wasn't better than most indie RPGs' and certainly wasn't better than Oblvion's;
(c) you seemed not to know how to bone, rig, or animate (which appears to be true, based on the fact that you outsourced those things and asked for a partner who could do them);
(d) you hadn't shown us enough work for us to have any reason to believe all your claims;
(e) you don't understand how to develop a game.

From that point on, you ratcheted up your insults toward me, your insults toward the artists behind a slew of indie projects, your claims about your talents, and you lame excuses for your inadequacies. I responded in condescending but generally gentle manner and corrected your errors.

Seriously. Go back and read the posts.

Maybe in your insecure head that is a "desperate attack for no good reason." I don't think it's really an attack, and I think it has a perfectly good reason. If you didn't want people to respond to your claims, you shouldn't have made them in a public forum.

Mojo

Scholar
The only troll here is you. Most of your "arguments" I already explained ad nauseaum. I don't think I'm some super artist/musician, I don't think I make better art than Bethesda ( never said that) and so and so. You should go back and read my replies before continuously banging your head on the keyboard. Really.

As for game soundtracks, most of them are made with midi/samples and are not really good. They are also mostly repetitive and unoriginal. There are many great ones though, Grim Fandango for instance.

I might not be a great musician, but I'm a musician. And the concept I had for the soundtrack of my game was original. When I post samples of my work you are welcome to pass judgement.

Not everyone criticizing you is a troll. The sooner you learn that, the better you'll get. And even trolls tend to look for soft spots.

If you need to respond to their arguments by calling them retards, failures, "loosers," and so on, they're probably making valid points. Otherwise, you'd be able to refute the points through logical argument.

Mojo

Scholar
Like NN said, calling you a "critic" would be a wild compliment. Many people criticized my work in this thread, but they had valid arguments and I responded reasonably because of that. You on the other hand didn't. You just jumped to ad hominem,wild accusations and your drive seems to be simply to discredit me and my work and convince me to give up on this project for some reason.

If you have a bit of sense, read your posts and still think you are not a troll and that I responded to you unfairly, than in all fairness, you are delusional.

Naked Ninja said:
Nah. Chefe is just very defensive, he lost a lot of face when he admitted his American Hare project was a big joke which he hadn't expected people to take so seriously.

Oh yea, I really fucked with the small group of people who responded to that thread. All that talk about dialog mechanics, text based gameplay, and stories did not contribute at all to the ideas surrounding this forum. There's nothing wrong with how the AH thread has gone. There is a lot of good stuff in there by quite a few different people.

Maybe I should just go back to Bethesda bashing and posting decline of the codex pics. You didn't seem to have a problem with me then.

Oh give it a rest Chefe. You attempted to backpeddle furiously when you realized people actually took American Hare seriously and expected you to deliver.

I'm not under obligation to deliver anything to anyone. I'm doing it because I want to, and because I need to. I don't run a development firm, hell I'm not even in the computer industry at all. I'm just someone who likes RPGs and wants to put one together because the genre is suffering. You can only replay Krondor so many times... and Fallout, and Ishar, and IWD, and Arcanum...

The only reason you continued was because you lost so much face from that stunt and because someone else is doing the work for you. You couldn't even move to using a simple RPG maker tool to cover your skill deficit.

Cardtrick is going to make his engine regardless. It's something he wants to do. He thought AH had some good ideas, so agreed to work with me if he was able to.

You haven't even read the American Hare thread. It's been explained numerous times why the available RPG tools would not be sufficient.

There is one fact about bullshit. No matter how nicely you wrap it it's still bullshit. You talk so much to cover the fact that you have no substance Chefe. Stop pretending like you have the moral high ground and have a right to lecture people.

You're doing the same thing! You're backing him up with "trust him, it will be great" while attacking everyone else.

Like you blamed the game industry for why you couldn't make American Hare? Maybe you've forgotten you said this :

You said the entire thing was a joke. Why couldn't that be a joke as well?

Shutit weasel, that isn't what he said. He posted some ideas and showed some of his work, then offered to discuss it with anyone interested. Not "trust me it will be great".

Maybe you need to go back and re-read thigs. "Some of his work" involved four stiff character renders (and now has expanded into several faces), a brag that he was an accomplished musician, and an admittance that he doesn't have any kind of design doc or a brief summary of any of the gameplay mechanics.

If I go and make a fucking model in blender will you suck my dick as well? Will that prove I can create a game?

RGE

Liturgist
cardtrick said:
sounds pretty much perfect. Post that along with some more varied samples, and you'll have programmers beating down your door.
It certainly reads better than the first post, but anyone who Mojo would work with would have to read what Mojo writes, not the polished rewrite that some idiot requires in order to grasp simple concepts such as what deal Mojo used to have. (Not that I'm accusing any of the idiots in this thread of having grasped that yet. I'm just saying that it's apparent that a simplified text would be needed for that to happen. 'Dumbed down' text, even.)

Why try to attract people who might easily misinterpret things? Just let the words from the horse's mouth do the talking. Reasonable people should have no trouble understanding that Mojo is offering art and music, and is willing to share the creative control. It was all evident in the first post, and even if it should turn out to be a deceptive delusion, that would be for a new partner to find out.

That Oblivion emperor truly looks inhuman. Goes to show that art direction is worth much more than advanced graphics.

ecliptic

Liturgist
*Click* Page 1.. read read read...

*Click* Jump to Page 6...

Read...

Drama!

Carrie Underwood said:
sportforredneck said:
Carrie Underwood said:
Oh yea, I really fucked with the small group of people who responded to that thread.
I missed the part where it was a joke. Oops for me.

Sarcasm detection failed!
I knew you were being sarcastic there, I was just saying that in general I didn't see that it was a joke before. And now your wiki is just dragging it out.

Mojo

Scholar
Carrie Underwood said:
If I go and make a fucking model in blender will you suck my dick as well? Will that prove I can create a game?

That might prove that you can create 3d art for a game. That was my point. You ask for more models, but only one is necessary. My purpose is just to show what I can make, the level of quality of my work etc.

If you want I can post some models of weapons, props, vehicles, etc, but only to show my work besides character art, and not to nod to ridiculous requests such as "prove that you have 20 % of the game assets done" .

J1M

Arcane
Mojo, your art is not that good. Your material work in particular looks very 'stock'. Perhaps you need to spend some time at deviant art or looking at other people's websites: http://brandonc.net/ You'd be better off proving you can do quantity than selling people on the 'quality' of what you have done.

Mojo

Scholar
http://brandonc.net/Website/gallery/metextured1.jpg

This one looks like stock. Yes, the guy has some pretty good stuff though ( regarding enviromental art, max renders etc). What do you want me to do? Your criticism is okay J1M and I don't mind it. You already made it quite clear that you think my models are "not that good".

Though suggesting something like "you ripped off your models from Poser" will only make me laugh ( it's in all honesty, a really retarded claim, in all levels, also offensive) and posting a link to a guy that charges by the hour and probably doesn't have the least interest in working in an isometric rpg won't prove any point.

Also :

http://brandonc.net/Website/gallery/shogoreal8.jpg

Aikanaro

Liturgist
Mojo - this shitfight isn't helping you at all. It's completely counterproductive to what you're trying to do because the more you get involved, the more of a douche you look. This is one of those cases when falling down to the level of the people trolling you is a bad idea.

Good luck in making the game, anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom