Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for games like Xcom with both tactical and strategic layer

zeitgeist

Magister

J1M

Arcane
Phantom Doctrine is the right genre. Not sure if it is any good.

Trithne

Erudite
Endless Legends matches the "tactics + strategical layers" part.

But it's nothing like Xcom.

It's also back to front. The focus is on the strategy layer, the tactical battles are very simple and just gravy for the most part.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can anybody add anything from the last three years? I think Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters might fit.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can anybody add anything from the last three years? I think Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters might fit.

It definitely does. It also features the same inverted difficulty curve as nuXCOM.

Anything with fantasy setting?
King Arthur might almost work, but they really did nothing with the map. You still have a base to rebuild, though.

You have a few other recent-ish options:
- Fort Triumph (HOMM like layer with tactical combat similar to nuXCOM. A strong focus on felling obstacles on opponents).
- Forged of Blood (the game got a lot of flack for its character alignment system, but it had solid combat iirc).
- Alder's Blood (strong focus on stealth, maybe too much? I haven't played it myself).

Poseidon00

Arcane
Rebelstar: Tactical Command for the GBA. Ignore the box art, has nothing to do with the game. It is more of a skill based rpg, you will have to create your characters builds and specialties, but that's about the only major difference.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Is it possible that in 20 years of pc gaming only Firaxis, Goldhawk and Sirtech managed to create games similar too the original Xcom?

Im looking for similar games but many of them have not the strategic part. Suggestion?
Total War

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Did anybody say Vigilantes? I am not gonna look if I did or not I am tired but it's ok. Play it on hard and use fire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom