Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for help building a max efficiency (not optimized) wizard

Project: Eternity
So long story short, I am swapping out my level 7 Pathfinder Oracle for a Wizard and I am looking for tips, tactics, and spells that will allow him to continue being effective over a long haul; call it an average fight length of 7-12 rounds.

The background is that there is a 3 PC party and the other two players are, putting it nicely, not-optimized. The Oracle was supposed to be a bad-touch/support caster, but ended up being a spiritual weapon slinger because the other two characters (a fighter and a gish) could not bring enough dps to drop the foes (they are both str 10). Most battles, the Oracle ended up doing 40-60% of the total party damage. They are not interested in improving their skills/characters, so that is not really an option either.

While I rather want to play a wizard, if someone has a good reason/tips to play other classes then I'll listen.

J1M

Arcane
Put magic missile in all of your spell slots. Meta-magic the higher level ones.

Lorica

Educated
What's "max-efficiency not optimized" mean to you?

This is a highly entertaining and relevant read.

And this is a highly entertaining and relevant video.

EDIT: Er, context.

Alex

Arcane
By the way, I don't mean to sound rude at all, so sorry for nosing in, but why are you guys playing 3e if two thirds of the players aren't interested in playing around with character building?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Treantmonks guide (linked in one of the earlier posts) says all you need to know about pathfinder wizards. Note that summon monster has a casting time of one turn (so you cast it as a full round action and the monster appears at the start on your next turn. Anyone who attacks you before then can make you do a concentration check).

If you use the ultimate magic archetype, consider the Teleportation sub school of conjuration. Being able to make tactical repositioning as a swift action is a godsend.

Treantmonks guide (linked in one of the earlier posts) says all you need to know about pathfinder wizards. Note that summon monster has a casting time of one turn (so you cast it as a full round action and the monster appears at the start on your next turn. Anyone who attacks you before then can make you do a concentration check).

If you use the ultimate magic archetype, consider the Teleportation sub school of conjuration. Being able to make tactical re-positioning as a swift action is a godsend.

I've already read Tree monk's guide, and most of the other guides on the d20 SRD or Giant in the Playground websites, but those are generally focused on optimization . By that I mean difficult combats where every round counts and good use of the action economy is critical. My question is what do you do in the opposite case, when the combat stretches on. Generally speaking, as my priest I spend about half the combat standing around and watching my spiritual weapons kill the foes. I am concerned that this wizard, who can't even pretend to melee, will be spending half of his time casting acid splash and I am looking for other things to do.

Eventually I'll probably go stafflike wand and just sling a lvl1 wand of magic missiles, but that won't be until level 10 at the earliest.

As far as why we are doing a 3E type game, I don't think the other players have any experience with other systems, so we defaulted to Pathfinder. I don't think the other players have any interest in learning a new system.

Despite the poor combat showing, the rest of the game is really fun, with good character development and interactions, so I want to keep playing it; I am just looking for some tips.

This would also be the same tips that let a caster go all-day-long.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Get summons. Check Treantmonks guide for the levels with the best summon monster [X] spells. They're the blasting spell that keeps blasting and damage they tank for you does not need to be healed afterwards. Spell focus: Conjuration and Augmented Summoning feats are a must. Other than that, battlefield control spells that disable enemies for a number of rounds allows you to deal with them in smaller groups. Stinking cloud and black tentacles are extremely good at keeping half the enemies from doing anything productive while you kill off their buddies.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wait, your spiritual weapon killed something? With a fighter in your group? How is that even possible?

Anyway, I suggest you play a witch. Unlimited hexes give you something to do each round and you enable your group instead of dominating combat like a conjurer would. Pick time as your patron to get haste. Just stay away from misfortune -> cackle cheese if you don't want your GMs wrath.

Lorica

Educated
What's your gish doing, by the way?

Alternately, you could go transmutation. I think conjuration's probably your best bet, but with transmutation specialization you'll be able to cast some of those spells to marginally boost your party's dps (Haste, Enlarge used right, and even Bull's Strength, if your party members really are stuck at 10 STR...) in an attempt to reduce the length of combat. You're also in a position to start turning yourself into a flying, hasted, and buffed elemental at that point, if you're worried about running out of interesting things to do. By 8th level, you'll be able to elementalize yourself for 8 rounds a day without wasting the spell slot, IIRC.

More generally, could you use the split slot discovery at level 5 or 6?

What's your gish doing, by the way?

Generally he summons fiendish wolves (I took the liberty of building summon cards for him, but wolves are pretty much all he uses), sometimes attacks with his d8+2 longsword. Once or twice he'll magic missile stuff. With a low con and poor AC, he also spends a fair amount of time trying to bleed out.

J1M

Arcane

If you use the ultimate magic archetype, consider the Teleportation sub school of conjuration. Being able to make tactical re-positioning as a swift action is a godsend.

I've already read Tree monk's guide, and most of the other guides on the d20 SRD or Giant in the Playground websites, but those are generally focused on optimization . By that I mean difficult combats where every round counts and good use of the action economy is critical. My question is what do you do in the opposite case, when the combat stretches on. Generally speaking, as my priest I spend about half the combat standing around and watching my spiritual weapons kill the foes. I am concerned that this wizard, who can't even pretend to melee, will be spending half of his time casting acid splash and I am looking for other things to do.

Eventually I'll probably go stafflike wand and just sling a lvl1 wand of magic missiles, but that won't be until level 10 at the earliest.

As far as why we are doing a 3E type game, I don't think the other players have any experience with other systems, so we defaulted to Pathfinder. I don't think the other players have any interest in learning a new system.

Despite the poor combat showing, the rest of the game is really fun, with good character development and interactions, so I want to keep playing it; I am just looking for some tips.

This would also be the same tips that let a caster go all-day-long.
Sounds like you should play a warlock then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom