Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Looking for pretty pixel games

Please No

Educated
Hello there! There are a lot of indie games out there at the moment, more than I can wrap my head around, so I'm asking you lot if you can help me out by finding some pretty games. I think more people than just me would be interested in this.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/2d-art-appreciation-thread.90271/

Looking at this thread made me drool. Sadly, as far as I can tell, the indie market which used to either stick to NES or SNES style graphics, or had the terrible practice of pseudo-pixel art, with mixed pixel sizes and all, has now moved on to pseudo-PS1 graphics, skipping the wonderful Amiga and PC-98 styles completely, which are the most beautiful of the 2D styles, with the exception of maybe some of the arcade games, which were the peak.

So give them to me! I don't care if the gameplay is dull, if it is buggy or unfinished, just list the nicest looking indie games you've got, preferably in those two styles I mentioned, but any 2D pixel art based games will do, as long as they are good on the eyes. Be sure to post pics, a lot of pics!

EknT9joXUAA4mTM

cybercitycentura.gif

maincore.gif

iu

Kitchen Utensil

https://m.youtube.com/user/SplatterCatGaming

This guy plays many of those pixel art indie games. The guy is kinda annoying and unfunny (which youtuber isn't?), but it's a nice channel to check on some new indies every couple of months. Just be aware that most of those games, beautiful or not, aren't very good. Fun for a weekend or two.

Terenty

Liturgist
Rain World.

Seriously, not only is it utterly beautiful with one of the most fluid and advanced animations in gaming, it's also one of the best games ever made period.

SadUnnaturalEyelashpitviper-size_restricted.gif

Please No

Educated
Seriously, not only is it utterly beautiful with one of the most fluid and advanced animations in gaming, it's also one of the best games ever made period.
I had that on my radar before, but lost track of it, had it confused with Ori for a while. Have to check it out now, it does look good.
This guy plays many of those pixel art indie games. The guy is kinda annoying and unfunny (which youtuber isn't?), but it's a nice channel to check on some new indies every couple of months. Just be aware that most of those games, beautiful or not, aren't very good. Fun for a weekend or two.
I don't want to watch some greasy youtuber play games, I want pretty games! There is another channel called Alpha Beta Gamer and that is much better, no nerd on the screen. There's also a website, https://www.alphabetagamer.com/, but it's not restricted to the kind of games I'm asking for. There's way too many games coming out to get a good look at them all, which is why I made this thread. I want visual excess, crisp and detailed pixel graphics.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Just modern indies?
World of Horror is the only one I can think of. Its in the old '80s Macintosh-style or in other limited palette options. Everything I've seen of it looks really sweet, far more than legit B&W/CGA/etc. games looked like. I can't think of anything else though, since literally every other indie game I've seen falls into some form pseudo-pixel art you mentioned.

Please No

Educated

Terenty

Liturgist
had that on my radar before, but lost track of it, had it confused with Ori for a while. Have to check it out now, it does look good.
Be prepared though it's nothing like Ori and very hardcore. Although they added an easy mode, i'd recommend playing it as intended - "survival" difficulty.

Gerrard

Arcane
Stardew Valley:

stardew-valley-ipad.jpg

You will lose hundreds of hours into this game.
Stardew looks like ass. First thing that comes to mind when I look at these graphics is shitty Gameboy Color games with terrible collisions where you can't walk behind a tree.
Guy should've spent some of that mountain of money he got on hiring a real artist to redo the graphics.

Last edited:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Guy should've spent some of that mountain of money he got on hiring a real artist to redo the graphics.
Why waste money "redoing" all the art -- which was one of the factors that drew many people to play in the first place -- when he can invest it into the next game?

downwardspiral

Learned
Last edited:

kreight

Every game is pretty deep inside. You only need to know where to look. Sometimes the beauty can be really hard to find.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Rain World.

SadUnnaturalEyelashpitviper-size_restricted.gif

Loved the cinematic platformer style action, the music, the scenery, but I snuck a peak at the ending because I was getting stuck somewhere and man am I ever fucking glad I didn't finish it, holy shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom