Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Looking for pretty pixel games

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Please No, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Please No Literate

Please No
    Hello there! There are a lot of indie games out there at the moment, more than I can wrap my head around, so I'm asking you lot if you can help me out by finding some pretty games. I think more people than just me would be interested in this.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/2d-art-appreciation-thread.90271/

Looking at this thread made me drool. Sadly, as far as I can tell, the indie market which used to either stick to NES or SNES style graphics, or had the terrible practice of pseudo-pixel art, with mixed pixel sizes and all, has now moved on to pseudo-PS1 graphics, skipping the wonderful Amiga and PC-98 styles completely, which are the most beautiful of the 2D styles, with the exception of maybe some of the arcade games, which were the peak.

So give them to me! I don't care if the gameplay is dull, if it is buggy or unfinished, just list the nicest looking indie games you've got, preferably in those two styles I mentioned, but any 2D pixel art based games will do, as long as they are good on the eyes. Be sure to post pics, a lot of pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  2. deama Liturgist

deama
    Virgin island
    :positive:

• How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. https://m.youtube.com/user/SplatterCatGaming

This guy plays many of those pixel art indie games. The guy is kinda annoying and unfunny (which youtuber isn't?), but it's a nice channel to check on some new indies every couple of months. Just be aware that most of those games, beautiful or not, aren't very good. Fun for a weekend or two.

^ Top  
  4. Terenty Savant

Terenty
    Rain World.

Seriously, not only is it utterly beautiful with one of the most fluid and advanced animations in gaming, it's also one of the best games ever made period.

[​IMG]

• not sure if serious x 1
    • incline x 1
    • No x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Kitty x 1
    • That's an Elephant x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Please No Literate

Please No
    I had that on my radar before, but lost track of it, had it confused with Ori for a while. Have to check it out now, it does look good.
    I don't want to watch some greasy youtuber play games, I want pretty games! There is another channel called Alpha Beta Gamer and that is much better, no nerd on the screen. There's also a website, https://www.alphabetagamer.com/, but it's not restricted to the kind of games I'm asking for. There's way too many games coming out to get a good look at them all, which is why I made this thread. I want visual excess, crisp and detailed pixel graphics.

^ Top  
  6. Morpheus Kitami Educated

Morpheus Kitami
    Just modern indies?
    World of Horror is the only one I can think of. Its in the old '80s Macintosh-style or in other limited palette options. Everything I've seen of it looks really sweet, far more than legit B&W/CGA/etc. games looked like. I can't think of anything else though, since literally every other indie game I've seen falls into some form pseudo-pixel art you mentioned.

^ Top  
  7. Please No Literate

Please No
    Older ones are fine, but those are better documented and easier to find. So if you're sitting on some obscure titles that almost nobody has played that look incredible then post them!
    This is just what I was looking for, so pretty!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Terenty Savant

Terenty
    Be prepared though it's nothing like Ori and very hardcore. Although they added an easy mode, i'd recommend playing it as intended - "survival" difficulty.

^ Top  
  9. Van-d-all Arbiter

Van-d-all
    Graveyard Keeper? Be aware though the game is as dumb as it is beautiful.
    [​IMG]

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. ropulos Cipher

ropulos
    Just play older titles, bro

[​IMG]

(Game is Wonder Project J2 for the N64)

^ Top  
  11. Catacombs Liturgist Patron

Catacombs
    Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Stardew Valley:

[​IMG]
    You will lose hundreds of hours into this game.

• incline incline x 2
    • decline decline x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. warpig Incel Resistance Leader Manlet

warpig
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Citizen Arcane

Citizen
    Every game is a pixel game, dumbo. Just put your head real close to the monitor

for real tho (open)
    Heroine Quest

• Yes x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Catacombs Liturgist Patron

Catacombs
    The two genders:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    Stardew looks like ass. First thing that comes to mind when I look at these graphics is shitty Gameboy Color games with terrible collisions where you can't walk behind a tree.
    Guy should've spent some of that mountain of money he got on hiring a real artist to redo the graphics.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020 at 4:55 PM
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Catacombs Liturgist Patron

Catacombs
    Why waste money "redoing" all the art -- which was one of the factors that drew many people to play in the first place -- when he can invest it into the next game?

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Morpheus Kitami Educated

Morpheus Kitami
    Is Elvira obscure?
    Black Sect
    Inca
    Ween: The Prophecy

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.