Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for simultaneous unsynced turn based mp games

• Abandon all hope, ye who enter this thread

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • There's lots of games like this, op is bad at google

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • This is relevant to my interests, but I have nothing to add

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
What I mean by this rather long description are mp games where the game progresses after every player has done their turn and players can do their turns in any order.

This is a fairly optimal way of mp gaming since it means you don't have to sync a bunch of people to be around at the same time, and turns can get played fairly frequently, which might not happen if player 3 cannot do his turn before player 1 and 2 have done theirs.

The only game I know like this is Solium Infernum. But I have already played that game a lot, and it loses a few points since one player must be the host and do his turn last, plus you have to fiddle with moving files around manually.

Surely other games with this style of play must exist. Tell me of them.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Dominions series?
Was not aware they worked like this. Seems they even have a central server that hosts the game to make it super easy.

Is there a demo somewhere to see if the gameplay agrees with me ?

Zibniyat

Arcane
Dominions is a great game, can recommend for the type of game you seek.

Be warned though, it becomes quite a time-sink later on, and if you lack charisma (or desire to put your charisma to work) then other players quite often gang upon you and start a slow, agonizing suffocation that can last for dozens of turns (i.e. dozens of hours). A great game, as you can see.

Zibniyat

Arcane

Dayyālu

Arcane
Dominions series?
Was not aware they worked like this. Seems they even have a central server that hosts the game to make it super easy.

Is there a demo somewhere to see if the gameplay agrees with me ?

There's a demo just for Dom3, but pirated copies float around. Careful, don't play MP with pirated copies. Also, the meat of the game is PBEM.

We had a Dominions community for years here on the 'dex, you can even check finished games on the Playground. If you're interested in joining a newb game, there are several communities and Discords (even if I hate the Discord-based PBEM system someone built for Dominions).

We even have LP's done by Master Grimwulf down in the playground, just check 'em and see if it tickles your fancy. Careful tho, Dominions is...sort of a drug.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Intriguing, but that is a youtube link, and the actual game doesn't seem to exist on steam or cursory googles? Is it just an abandoned prototype?
A completed prototype that can be played with construction paper and bits of tape... So it can be played on anything... a Go board, a Chess board, poster board; a Photoshop or Excel file that you pass around, or host on Dropbox. ;)

*These could probably be used:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/286160/Tabletop_Simulator/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/402560/Tabletopia/

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Also, the meat of the game is PBEM.
Why is PBEM superior to serverside MP?

Or do you just mean mp>sp ?

WELL, for ages untold the basic system to play Dominions has been Llamaserver, a fan-managed PBEM system that pretty much still works today. There are other options, like server-side MP (used for quick games, also known as "blitzes" in Dominions-lingo) but nowadays there is some kind of weird abomination known as Clockwork Hounds that works as a server-based MP system with Discord integration. My personal experience with it has been atrocious, but I've used it once and I'm still evaluating.

How so? I played Dom5 a while ago but couldn't stick with it, likely because I always played against the computers.

Dominions can be played against the AI, but you aren't playing the game. The AI can't simply deal with the variety of systems in place, the meat for insane strategies and optimal (or suboptimal) play is in the MP experience. Being relatively slow and PBEM, there's also time to learn and improve. I personally find Dominions easy for a MP game, on one side because I have played it for years and know some of its peculiarities, and because it's far more beginner-friendly (insane as it may sounds) than stuff like "serious" Alpha Centauri MP or RTS gaming.

Again, if you are interested in playing Dom5 we kinda sorta had a team game on the slow burner between some Codex players. Team games are good being , well, team games. If you want to try I can get a Discord invite or something.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Again, if you are interested in playing Dom5 we kinda sorta had a team game on the slow burner between some Codex players. Team games are good being , well, team games. If you want to try I can get a Discord invite or something.
I would be interested. But is most communication on Discord? I don't use that platform. A thread here works better for me tbh.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

And here I was wondering what happened to Dominions threads on Playground while I was, hrm, away for some time. You moved to Discord? Not even posting AAR or RP stuff here?

Shame on you.

:decline:

I've played with dom3mods community once, not nearly as prestigious as Codex community. And even then I tried to post a LP-style thread here, which admittedly I failed to finish, but hey - I tried.

What's your excuse, Dayyālu?

Dayyālu

Arcane
I would be interested. But is most communication on Discord? I don't use that platform. A thread here works better for me tbh.

I hate the thing, but APPARENTLY all the KOOL KIDS are on it. Codex Dominions community got it by a slump, sadly, and even new patches and hilarious NEW NATIONS didn't reignite interest.

What's your excuse, Dayyālu?[/spoiler]

I'm laaaaaaaaaaaaazy and I want to avoid Dominions burnout. That means a single light game ongoing to balance it with life and simpler hobbies. I'm laaaaaazy.

Dayyālu

Arcane
If Jaedar or Catacombs are interested, we're starting in the WONDERFUL LANDS OF DISCORD SERVERS (ugh) a new Dominions game, a Disciple game that should purposefully make teams of experienced player/newbie. Like, for fun. If you're interested ping me, if not whatever.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
and because it's far more beginner-friendly (insane as it may sounds) than stuff like "serious" Alpha Centauri MP or RTS gaming.
As someone who only watched at Dominions from a distance before and recently decided to finally poke into it i must suprisingly agree with this statement. It's rather "Overwhelming" than "Complicated" thanks to the sheer amount of options and things you have an access to at once.
So many spells to consider, items you can craft, factions and pretender chassises you can choose and etc - variety of the systems as you called it.

In contrast the Conquest of Elysium 4 is way simplier in this specific regard and Ai can actually provide an enjoyable single player experience, provided you didn't put too many opponents on a small map or the Ai didn't have a bad luck with the roaming deers early on. This one doesn't have a simultaneous turns though if i am not mistaken.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Ai can actually provide an enjoyable single player experience

Trust me, the bread and butter of the game is multiplayer. I'm sure if someone posts a thread on the Playground calling for a new Decline match, most of the old Codex players, and probably lots of new ones would join.

I miss the drama from the old Decline threads. :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom