Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for something like Fallout 1 but more dialogue

• Thread starter Lilliput McHammersmith
  • Start date

Lilliput McHammersmith

Atom RPG is exactly what you want, Soviet post-apocalypse with a lot of text that is sometimes really sad and then incredibly funny. Combat is also better but you can get pretty far without firing a bullet by choosing the right dialogue options.

Choosing the right options, or having the right skills?
I want to believe.
It will be both. Just like OG Fallout. I have been playing it a little and it seems pretty cool. It's harder for me to get into than Fallout, but that is likely because I am not familiar with Russia/Soviet culture at all. And I have played other Fallout games before playing Fallout 1, so that definitely gave the edge to getting into Fallout 1.

Plus, Fallout 1 has one of the best opening sequences of any game I have ever played. It throws you right into the action, with some idea of where to go, but it's so open. Man, I'm convincing myself to play it again, even though I just finished it.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Arcanum is the obvious choice.
ATOM RPG is also up there but it doesn't differ too much from Fallout tbh. It's like nu-Fallout, Russian edition.
I will also add Wasteland 2: DC in the mix.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Atom RPG is exactly what you want, Soviet post-apocalypse with a lot of text that is sometimes really sad and then incredibly funny. Combat is also better but you can get pretty far without firing a bullet by choosing the right dialogue options.

I want to believe.
It will be both. Just like OG Fallout. I have been playing it a little and it seems pretty cool. It's harder for me to get into than Fallout, but that is likely because I am not familiar with Russia/Soviet culture at all. And I have played other Fallout games before playing Fallout 1, so that definitely gave the edge to getting into Fallout 1.

Plus, Fallout 1 has one of the best opening sequences of any game I have ever played. It throws you right into the action, with some idea of where to go, but it's so open. Man, I'm convincing myself to play it again, even though I just finished it.

Reminds me of the first time I played Fallout. I started playing, couldn't figure out shit and quit. I remember complaining to someone that it was too weird, felt like you could do anything. Tried again after a few weeks and realized it was one of the best gaming experiences ever created.

Dodo1610

Arcane

I want to believe.

You can definitely upset people by choosing the wrong options. Of course, having high Chr is extremely important in dialogue.

deama

Prophet
You could try age of decadence, not sure if you'll like the style of it. You can play through it without any combat though.

The NWN2: Mask of the betrayer is pretty good, it's not required to play through the OG campaign, but I would recommend as some characters make a reappearance and the MC is the same person.

Alpha protocol was pretty fun I thought, even with the broken combat; plenty of dialogue and interactions though.

I remember Tyranny being not too bad, had a bit too much balance for the combat (better than PoE though), but the dialogue I found to be much better than pillars of eternity 1.

Have you tried Pillars of eternity 2? I personally can't really get into it because of mechanical reasons, but from what I've played the dialogue seemed decent, worth a "demo" I'd say.

Disco Elysium would definitely be a must if you like dialogue.

Not sure if this is your cup of tea, but The Last Sovereign is a type of H-JRPG(smut), there's no pictures but it's descriptive, though you can skip most of it. I found the gameplay to be solid and quite good for a JRPG, and the dialogue was pretty decent too; there aren't many choices when it comes to dialogue choices during story moments, but there are dialogue choices in general and interactivity between the different characters that can later lead to different events.

Lilliput McHammersmith

He looks for more dialog, dawg, not gameplay. MOTB has the best gameplay in the series: hunger mechanic. That one would drive OP to insanity.

actually I love the gameplay of Fallout, but I just wanted more dialogue to go with it. Similar to FNV.

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
He looks for more dialog, dawg, not gameplay. MOTB has the best gameplay in the series: hunger mechanic. That one would drive OP to insanity.

actually I love the gameplay of Fallout, but I just wanted more dialogue to go with it. Similar to FNV.
Then Mask of the Betrayer should def be for you. You can also mod out the hunger mechanic if it's irritating.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Then Mask of the Betrayer should def be for you. You can also mod out the hunger mechanic if it's irritating.

Ok I’ll take a look. I had started MOTB a long time ago, but it was right after playing the OC, so I think I was burnt out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom