Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for WWII Aircraft simulators

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I am looking for alternatives to the great Il2-1946.
I still play it but it doesn't as smooth as it should because of the multicores issue, and like a loser i have 8 :(.

I want something realistic, spec light and that offers me the ability to play with friends in co-op.
I plan on using both a joystick and rudder pedals.

What do you guys recommend?

Beowulf

Arcane
Il2 Cliffs of Dover with Team Fusion mod. Folks still play it, especially ATAG.
But the choice of planes will be vastly limited in comparison with Il2 - 1946.

You might try Il2 - Battle of Stalingrad, but that might be too demanding on your hardware - depending on what is spec light for you (hell, even COD might be too demanding if you have some ancient CPU).

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
war thunder?
Haven't tried it yet but will give it a go. Thanks.
I have been avoiding it after hearing that its somewhat arcade and that the mouse gives you an edge.

In Arcade and Realistic (i.e., "less arcadey") mode, mouse players have an advantage at aiming, while joystick players are better at evasive maneuvers.

In Simulation mode, playing with a mouse is humanly impossible, so everyone is on equal footing.

Hoggypare

Savant
Il-2 CloD with TF mod is probably your best bet, although Il-2 BoS/BoM seem also good (Battle of britain is however a more interesting and better balanced war theatre, SP content of BoS/BoM are meh as well), both however are indeed not well optimized. There is also a hardcore alternative of DCS: P-51/Fw190D/Bf109K, although also demanding on your specs, pricey and limited in terms of content (however the planes are modelled beautifully, with completely clickable cockpits and in fact you can use real plane manuals to control them)
I wouldn't recommend War Thunder if you are looking for a simulation. It is horribly inconsistent, some planes have broken flight models for years, some lack stall mechanics - they feel as if you are not flying but moving on invisible rails, engagement ranges are fucked, also there are no real missions and all battle lineups are horribly unhistorical - I was playing the game for good deal of time, was even alpha tester, but it was steadily and surely going downhill since I remember, I'd say all potential it had was in fact lost - the plus side of WT is plethora of planes, good optimization and that it is free, costs you nothing to try.

racofer

Thread Incliner
WV44mh2.jpg

I've played the shit out of this game back in the day.

Renegen

Arcane
Played War Thunder, 9/10 gameplay, 5/10 F2P shit, 6/10 russian balance. If you want to be an ace, if you want to feel stressed and forced to improve your skills because enemy pilots are gunning you down, if you want to fly all of the famous planes and use them tactically like in history, if you want to feel like the hero or even the villain doing nothing but ground attacks (67% win rate with my Stukas!) or hunting bombers with heavy fighters, then this is the game for you. It's more than just a physics simulator, it's a pilot simulator.

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
Doesnt DCS have some WW2 planes and campaigns? I dont think it has multi though.

Destroid

Arcane
Played War Thunder, 9/10 gameplay, 5/10 F2P shit, 6/10 russian balance. If you want to be an ace, if you want to feel stressed and forced to improve your skills because enemy pilots are gunning you down, if you want to fly all of the famous planes and use them tactically like in history, if you want to feel like the hero or even the villain doing nothing but ground attacks (67% win rate with my Stukas!) or hunting bombers with heavy fighters, then this is the game for you. It's more than just a physics simulator, it's a pilot simulator.

Stukas are really terrible. Though the one with 20mm in the wing can give people a nasty surprise if they approach too casually.

Renegen

Arcane

Stukas are really terrible. Though the one with 20mm in the wing can give people a nasty surprise if they approach too casually.
Tell me about it, russian developer and all. But actually Stukas have some advantages, that rear turret keeps your enemies really honest, and overall they are just more versatile (like say, more ammo).

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Just tried War Thunder. Looks better than the old Il-2 1946 and also runs better. Other than that is a step down in every way, specially in the realism department.
Shot down a biplane on my first air realistic match and managed to survive the rest of the match. I had fun and will continue playing it until i had enough.
Il-2 has spoiled me in ways i never knew.

toroid

Arcane
Just tried War Thunder. Looks better than the old Il-2 1946 and also runs better. Other than that is a step down in every way, specially in the realism department.
Shot down a biplane on my first air realistic match and managed to survive the rest of the match. I had fun and will continue playing it until i had enough.
Il-2 has spoiled me in ways i never knew.

I had a lot of fun playing the role of bomber killer using the Japanese heavy fighters. Boom and zoom with a 57mm cannon feels good.

Destroid

Arcane
Sadly, those planes are only really good at the low tiers. Yaks with 37mm in the nose do a great job no matter the tier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom