Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Loop Hero

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
https://loophero.com

https://af.gog.com/game/loop_hero?as=1649904300

Best game from ongoing demo festival deserves its own thread. Infinitron can probably edit it with proper embeds

ss_59f2ad28f68d11766dad0481d2c5b64d293a5310.600x338.jpg

Just look how beautiful it is.
There is single protag whose action you do not control. She walks the loop. Each time you walk full circle enemies get stronger. Each time day passes you regain some hp but also spawn new monsters.
For killing monsters you get xp, items and cards. Cards are used to spawn tiles around the loop you walk. Each tile got some bonuses but also spawn enemies.
Once you place too many tiles boss will spawn.

Eventually you decide that its time to quit and get back to your village where you can buy some upgrades. Once you return to loop it will reset, your items will be gone.

Its simple and yet highly addictive. Your build is controlled by which items you equip, tiles you place and traits you pick at lvlups. It appears in full version there will be more classes to pick from.
To give example:
- You vampirism equipment to keep your health high
- You place swamp tiles around. In their radius your hero harms themselves from heals
- If you place vampire mansion, all enemies in the radius will be aided by vampire and have life gain
- If you drop your vampirism items, you will not get harmed while enemies will damage themselves from vampirism provided

Last edited by a moderator:

Gahbreeil

Learned
I believe the Dungeon Master game could be much more. It falls short just by this that is not Neverwinter Nights where you are the DM or GM and you control everything as if in the Aurora Toolset putting challenges in front of the AI.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

dunno what lukaszek is talking about pretty sure in the tutorial it says "he" and calls him "the boy"
maxresdefault.jpg

apparently the main game will have three classes? warrior, necromancer and rogue
its odd for me but i already purchased full game just because i saw on one of the locked building that it provides rogue class. I need no more

honestly I dont want to read too much on it as I want to experience weird tile interactions myself

Tigranes

Arcane
Well that's why you should REVIEW IT FOR US, duck man

(it does look interesting)

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
just so you know, i spoke to the guy that wrote rpg review for codex front page and he claims loop hero is an rpg

Dexter

Arcane
Infinitron please move this thread to GRPG
Infinitron is apparently on a Full Retard Moving Spree, all of these were in the RPG Section:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ction-adventure-set-in-a-desert-world.137132/
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ld-game-based-on-native-american-myth.134320/

Can barely get any more "RPG" than that. The first is an ARPG with Skill Upgrades, Inventory and Loot, all the usual stuff from Attack/Armor/HP/DPS/AP values to different Weapons and Armor sets, Special attacks, Dialogue system with limited C&C.
If Diablo or even Bastion are ARPGs, then so is this.

The other one is basically a really shitty Risen with an Indian theme, a HP/Mana bar, a Spell casting system, Level-ups, Skill trees with 5 different categories, being able to loot and switch to different weapons, Crafting, Dialogue system with limited C&C etc. that has been in the RPG Section since the thread was created months ago.
If Gothic or Risen are RPGs, then so is this. (even if a lot shittier).

Meanwhile there's threads for Horizon Zero Dawn, Dying Light 2 or Assassin's Creed: Origins of Old-School RPG franchise "Assassin's Creed" in the RPG forum.

Infinitron seems to work like a really shitty algorithm with the sophistication of the simplest text-parser that Skim-Searches the game descriptions for Keywords like "RPG" or "Action Adventure" or "Open World" and decides where to move threads based on that. At least you finally got an answer to "What is an RPG?" and the answer seems to be "If the term appears anywhere in a game's Steam Description."

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Man, it's stupid how good this game is. I figured I'd pick up the demo and look at it for like 10 minutes and be done with it. Instead I played it for over 2 hours and unlocked everything the demo has. You should try it out.

Basically, it's a semi-passive strategy game where you control the odds by deciding which equipment to use and which land tiles to place and where, depending on what drops for you. There's also a town that you build up that gives you permanent bonuses in order to progress further, and a deck of land tiles that unlock as you progress that you can modify to help shape what sorts of things are able to become available on your run.

Zombra have you tried this?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

It's a fairly weird "auto-battler", ie it is very casual. But still fun.

The world is a loop, and the hero automatically walks around it. Every tile has a chance to spawn an enemy at set intervals, and when the hero walks into an enemy he fights it/them automatically. Enemies drop loot (which you get to equip and there's not much else to say about it) and cards. Cards are almost exclusively used to terraform the environment. Basic cards are things like, add mountains and meadows (gives hp bonuses to the hero) but also replacing the wastelands in the loop with things such as hamlets, forests, graveyards, etc. Each tile has a specific effect (usually spawning or interacting with enemies in some capacity) and many of them also give you construction resources. Every time the hero completes a lap around the loop, all the enemies get stronger. Whenever you are at the start of the loop, you can retreat to save all your resources so you can build stuff in your base. Everything except the base and (maybe some unlocks that are not in the demo) resets when you retreat, so it has a roguelite style to it. If the hero dies, everything resets and you lose 90% of the resources you gathered.

It's strangely engaging, but I am not sure about the longevity. There's lots of fun tile interactions to find, some obvious, some not, but it is also a very casual game where a lot of the time you are just waiting for the next bit of loot to drop and then make some automatic decisions (most gear is shit once you have decent pieces, a decent amount of the cards don't have enough strategy to the placement). There are quite a few buildings to unlock, and supposedly other classes, but it is unclear how much it will change the base gameplay. The art style is quite nice.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

The world is a loop, and the hero automatically walks around it. Every tile has a chance to spawn an enemy at set intervals, and when the hero walks into an enemy he fights it/them automatically. Enemies drop loot (which you get to equip and there's not much else to say about it) and cards. Cards are almost exclusively used to terraform the environment. Basic cards are things like, add mountains and meadows (gives hp bonuses to the hero) but also replacing the wastelands in the loop with things such as hamlets, forests, graveyards, etc. Each tile has a specific effect (usually spawning or interacting with enemies in some capacity) and many of them also give you construction resources. Every time the hero completes a lap around the loop, all the enemies get stronger. Whenever you are at the start of the loop, you can retreat to save all your resources so you can build stuff in your base. Everything except the base and (maybe some unlocks that are not in the demo) resets when you retreat, so it has a roguelike style to it. If the hero dies, everything resets and you lose 90% of the resources you gathered.

It's strangely engaging, but I am not sure about the longevity. There's lots of fun tile interactions to find, some obvious, some not, but it is also a very casual game where a lot of the time you are just waiting for the next bit of loot to drop and then make some automatic decisions (most gear is shit once you have decent pices, a decent amount of the cards don't have enough strategy to the placement). There are quite a few buildings to unlock, and supposedly other classes, but it is unclear how much it will change the base gameplay. The art style is quite nice.

This is a nice description. I agree that I'm also not sure how long it'll hold up, but it's also not overly expensive. It's sort of weird in that I was in the right mindset for it today (kind of gaming, kind of zoning out), but wouldn't always. It's strange because in a way, I almost wish you could pay less attention to it, so you could multitask, but at the same time, I don't think I'd find it engaging if you could.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

The world is a loop, and the hero automatically walks around it. Every tile has a chance to spawn an enemy at set intervals, and when the hero walks into an enemy he fights it/them automatically. Enemies drop loot (which you get to equip and there's not much else to say about it) and cards. Cards are almost exclusively used to terraform the environment. Basic cards are things like, add mountains and meadows (gives hp bonuses to the hero) but also replacing the wastelands in the loop with things such as hamlets, forests, graveyards, etc. Each tile has a specific effect (usually spawning or interacting with enemies in some capacity) and many of them also give you construction resources. Every time the hero completes a lap around the loop, all the enemies get stronger. Whenever you are at the start of the loop, you can retreat to save all your resources so you can build stuff in your base. Everything except the base and (maybe some unlocks that are not in the demo) resets when you retreat, so it has a roguelike style to it. If the hero dies, everything resets and you lose 90% of the resources you gathered.

It's strangely engaging, but I am not sure about the longevity. There's lots of fun tile interactions to find, some obvious, some not, but it is also a very casual game where a lot of the time you are just waiting for the next bit of loot to drop and then make some automatic decisions (most gear is shit once you have decent pices, a decent amount of the cards don't have enough strategy to the placement). There are quite a few buildings to unlock, and supposedly other classes, but it is unclear how much it will change the base gameplay. The art style is quite nice.

This is a nice description. I agree that I'm also not sure how long it'll hold up, but it's also not overly expensive. It's sort of weird in that I was in the right mindset for it today (kind of gaming, kind of zoning out), but wouldn't always. It's strange because in a way, I almost wish you could pay less attention to it, so you could multitask, but at the same time, I don't think I'd find it engaging if you could.
I agree, it's the kind of thing where I sort of feel I should be watching a tv show at the same time, but otoh it needs input frequently enough that you can't really watch tv at the same time. Maybe combos well with podcasts?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Any equipment or terrain cards that get discarded due to being over capacity gets turned into resources. I think you might get resources from equipment that you replace as well, but not sure.

You guys used 2x walking speed right? I feel they should have a 3x too for the early part of a loop where there isn't much around yet.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Any equipment or terrain cards that get discarded due to being over capacity gets turned into resources. I think you might get resources from equipment that you replace as well, but not sure.

You guys used 2x walking speed right? I feel they should have a 3x too for the early part of a loop where there isn't much around yet.
I think 2x walking speed is fine, first loop feels calm, later ones feel hectic, it's a nice contrast. 2x combat speed multiplier would be nice though, combats against 3+ enemies really drag.

Why would you discard cards? You also get resources for playing them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom