Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lord British: "Most game designers really just suck"

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It had the world, but not the details and secrets and the Zelda shit, because let's face it, U9 was a zelda clone (and that was also part of the problems for the fanbase)

Castanova

Prophet
Game designers don't really do anything significant in most big games. They just iterate on whatever was popular at the time the game got funded by their publisher.

Look at board games and you see evidence that it is possible to be good at game design without tons of luck being involved and it is possible to generate unique ideas. You just have to be in a medium that rewards it. Board games are much more gamist than video games are these days and gamism benefits game designers. Plus board games are a more limited medium, both physically and computationally. Computer games are more of a blank slate and art with no limit imposed on the artist is rarely art at all. (I'm using art in more of the craftsman sense, so don't get your panties in a twist.)

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Sounds a lot like Moribund. I wonder if they are members of the same race. Or maybe the same person...

Anyway, it's very interesting to read about these intimate details of game design, about these notebooks and stuff. I'm always fascinated by the process of creation.

Game designers don't really do anything significant in most big games. They just iterate on whatever was popular at the time the game got funded by their publisher.

Look at board games and you see evidence that it is possible to be good at game design without tons of luck being involved and it is possible to generate unique ideas. You just have to be in a medium that rewards it. Board games are much more gamist than video games are these days and gamism benefits game designers. Plus board games are a more limited medium, both physically and computationally. Computer games are more of a blank slate and art with no limit imposed on the artist is rarely art at all. (I'm using art in more of the craftsman sense, so don't get your panties in a twist.)
I would argue that computer games are more limited due to the budgets and amount of people involved.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
sea, I disagree with your assertion that there is anyone looking for somebody with a Game Design degree. Also, that there are any 'game schools' worth attending. Unless $50k is how much you are willing to spend to find someone who will work with you on a mod. Networking is how you get a game design job unless you are already a game designer via mod or otherwise. Networking is a politically correct term for nepotism.
Funny, I see job ads asking for "game design degree or related" all the time.

sea, I disagree with your assertion that there is anyone looking for somebody with a Game Design degree. Also, that there are any 'game schools' worth attending. Unless $50k is how much you are willing to spend to find someone who will work with you on a mod. Networking is how you get a game design job unless you are already a game designer via mod or otherwise. Networking is a politically correct term for nepotism.
"or related" usually means "feel free to show us whatever cool shit you made on your own". At least, that's what it means in the programming field.

Machocruz

Arcane
In lieu of a school course or favors, people rise through various departments. Shigeru Miyamoto started in the art department, was given more and more responsibilities, proved leadership qualities, etc. Well, that was then when games were simple arcade affairs. Might be a Japanese thing to.o Nomura at SE did the same.

J1M

Arcane
"or related" usually means "feel free to show us whatever cool shit you made on your own". At least, that's what it means in the programming field.
I would challenge you to show me the job listing that asks for "game design or related degree" with zero experience.

Usually such a posting will also include something like "credited on 3 shipped AAA games" as the primary requirement and the degree they are asking for is just because the HR person had to fill something in under education.

Anselmus

Arcane
Sounds a lot like Moribund. I wonder if they are members of the same race. Or maybe the same person...

And Cleve. It shouldn't be much of a surprise that game developers are arrogant, the job description is literally "playing God."

I would challenge you to show me the job listing that asks for "game design or related degree" with zero experience.

Usually such a posting will also include something like "credited on 3 shipped AAA games" as the primary requirement and the degree they are asking for is just because the HR person had to fill something in under education.

If you are talking about something like lead designer, of course they require that shit. We're not talking about that, we're talking about the more entry level stuff. Educational background is almost entirely irrelevant once you've gotten your first job in a field.

J1M

Arcane

If you are talking about something like lead designer, of course they require that shit. We're not talking about that, we're talking about the more entry level stuff. Educational background is almost entirely irrelevant once you've gotten your first job in a field.
I'm not talking about lead designer either. I'm talking about a standard game design position that works for a lead on a team.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Experience is all that matters for non-entry level positions. Those game design degrees are just a scam to bilk people out of money. For entry-level they'll hire anyone with a pulse + demonstrated abilities depending on the position, i.e. artwork, level design via mods, etc.

Xavier0889

Learned
It had the world, but not the details and secrets and the Zelda shit, because let's face it, U9 was a zelda clone (and that was also part of the problems for the fanbase)

I still have an old issue of a pc gaming magazine from circa 1998/9 in which Seth Mendelsohn (who re-wrote U9's plot with RG) states that the new releases of Mario and, specially, Zelda, were two of the most important influences of the team who was developing U9. It's funny that Ocarina of Time feels more like an open world game than U9 (or at least I though so 13 years ago).

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Well, apparently he "apologized" on Facebook in a two pages PDF. Note the quotations marks, because what he actually says is that he is a not that good artist, that there are better programmers than him, that all game designers suck but please don't hold it back against him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom