Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lost and forgotten (except by us)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Time Machine (1990)

236010-time-machine-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

865570-time-machine-amiga-screenshot-start-of-the-game.png

Released on the major 8-bit and 16-bit machines of the time (but not the PC) is this neat little puzzle game. You control Professor Potts who's finishing his Wellsian time machine (in 1990 AD) when terrorists attack and damage the delicate device, sending Potts back to the year 1 million BC. Armed with only a couple of handheld portal devices that he can teleport between, a home-made taser and his wits, Potts must change history in his immediate environment so that he 'unlocks' future time periods that he can travel to (how he does that without the time machine is a bit of a mystery, but just go with it) until he can reach the present and stop the terrorists.

With a playing field of only five screens this is not a large game, but it's deeper than it looks. The trick is finding out what actions Potts can do in each time era to unlock the next one. For example Potts needs to block up three lava-spewing geysers to make the surrounding area safer, as well as guide some tiny-looking primates to the safety of a cave. This unlocks the ice age, where the descendants of those same primates are freezing so Potts must build them a fire, while finding a way to warm up the place.

I played it on the Amstrad (like so many other titles) 30 years ago and was a little surprised how well it's aged, though I recommend modern gamers try out the Amiga version for the best overall experience. The biggest problem is probably the clunky controls and the need to Read the Manual, but beyond that it's a neat little timewaster.

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
SAGA: RAGE OF THE VIKINGS
220px-Sagarageofthevikings.jpg
It was the first RTS I played where you actually made more people by having SEX. Also many playable diverse races such as vikings (who also could fuck Valkyries to make more!), dwarfs, giants, trolls, southern kingdoms (angloscum), each with their unique take on the game. You also had a summer/winter weather system in game which meant you could walk over ice rivers. I had lots of fun as a kid, but I can't seem to make it run normally on Win10.:negative:

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I remember Saga. Yes, in the viking nation you had men, women and valkyries but valkyries couldn't do any work (they were good for fighting and magic, I think?), so men and valkyries stayed at home and made more babies while women chopped down trees and stuff :lol:
I wouldn't call it a good game, but it had some cool ideas and a lot of races.

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
I remember Saga. Yes, in the viking nation you had men, women and valkyries but valkyries couldn't do any work (they were good for fighting and magic, I think?), so men and valkyries stayed at home and made more babies while women chopped down trees and stuff :lol:
I wouldn't call it a good game, but it had some cool ideas and a lot of races.

Yes indeed, Valkyries were the magic casters on top of being decent warriors.

Also the way you built and deconstructed ships in that game. Sure it wasn't revolutionary but it felt different from the rest of RTS at the time.

lightbane

Arcane

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Did somebody remember Irrational Games' cancelled The Lost? That was a PS2/Xbox action-adventure horror game inspired by Dante's Inferno.

Read more about here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_(video_game)
https://irrationalgames.ghoststorygames.com/insider/from-the-vault-the-lost/

TL;DR

The assets where handed over to some Indian company (FXLabs) to finish the game, renamed AGNI: Queen of Darkness, and released it on the Indian market for PC. Good news is the Wyrmlordian silliness was kept to a bare minimum, leaving Irrational's work mostly intact. Another good news is that FXLabs went bust eons ago so it's just abandonware now. More good news is I actually found a working download link:

http://www.legendsworld.net/site/download.php?mirror=14063

Worth a try if you like early 2000s action-adventures with actual level design, good writing and moody atmo.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
Well, this seems like a good enough thread to ask. Do any of you lads remember some older 3D point-and-click adventure game in which you started (?) in some village and the northern (?) exit led to a forest and within it there was some anthropomorphized tree with eyes and what not blocking a certain path?

Only thing I somewhat remember visually is that the path to the forest had some sort of grain field on the left side.

rohand

Cipher
Well, this seems like a good enough thread to ask. Do any of you lads remember some older 3D point-and-click adventure game in which you started (?) in some village and the northern (?) exit led to a forest and within it there was some anthropomorphized tree with eyes and what not blocking a certain path?

Only thing I somewhat remember visually is that the path to the forest had some sort of grain field on the left side.

You may be best served asking this in the Adventure forum, some very knowledgeable guys that lurk there don't do so here.

I got thinking first of Black Sect but I don't remember a tree with eyes.

Vatnik Wumao
Didn't feel like necro-ing the pertinent thread, but yeah. Hopefully I am not mixing two games together in my memory, but I've played it in the 00s either from one of those freebies from gaming magazines or from some pirated CD with a mixture of 'popular' games of the time.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I remember this one:

Description from Moby:

The Oracle's Cave is an adventure game where you type in various one-letter commands with the keyboard and watch a side-view animation of your actions with the screen scrolling in various directions. You play the role of an adventurer who is trapped at the entrance of a Oracle's cave complex and the only way out is to go through the Oracle's cave on level four within five days. You have the choice of four quests which have you collecting a certain amount of treasures while collecting certain treasures guarded by either The Mummy, The Centaur, The Fiery Dragon, or The Black Knight.

You have various actions that can be selected and they are move (left, right, up, down and secret passage), rest, use an article, explore surroundings, help and abandon the game. Articles you have on your person include healing items, magic ring (invisibility), rope and key. You also can find weapons to help you when you battle creatures and people and they are dagger, axe and sword. You start with 12 units of energy and no units of wounds, and other stats you can see are weapons, combat, treasure and articles. There is also a map showing the key areas of most of the rooms are hidden and can only be seen when entered.

As you move around the caves, this uses up energy and exploring the caves can either help or hinder you and must be used cautiously. You will encounter creatures and people guarding treasures and these can be fought or you can run away. The computer decides the outcome every time you attack and you keep attacking until you run away or you kill it. You can also collect wounds which decreases your energy and if your energy is too low or wounds are too high then you are too weak to carry on and you are transported to a safe cave to recover. Here you can rest and decide how long for in hours like in any part of the cave complex, but remember that you only have five days to complete the game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Damn, there were so many Speccy games I never got a chance to play.
Unlike the Amiga scene, the Speccy scene was not rampant with pirates practically forcing pirated disks on you (even store clerks!).

Jason Liang

Arcane
I used to have a compilation cd with 4 games and I'd forgotten the names of those games. But when someone mentioned in shoutbox about a planet colony game, I remembered one of the games and it turns out that game was Outpost.
12520-outpost-windows-3-x-screenshot-and-the-beginings-of-a-great.jpg

Well I did a lot of digging and have found two of the other 4 games.

The second is Spectre VR.
218413-spectre-vr-windows-3-x-screenshot-obstacles.png

And the third is an obscure New Worlds Computing game called Zephyr. I mostly remember the soundtrack which turns out was done by a guy named Robert King who would go on to do music for the HoMM series and a lot of other games. Zephyr had funky music for sure.
402451-zephyr-dos-screenshot-level-1.png

The last game I can't even remember what it was like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom