Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Lost Eidolons releasing on October 13th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Lost Eidolons; Ocean Drive Studio

A year and half after its successful crowdfunding campaign and following two closed beta tests, Ocean Drive Studio have announced that Lost Eidolons will be launching on October 13th. If you recall, Lost Eidolons is a Fire Emblem-inspired tactical RPG set in a crumbling medieval fantasy empire that has descended into civil war. Here's the release date announcement trailer. The people of Artemesia are a handsome folk but have apparently never heard of lip sync.

Greetings, Tacticians.

We have some important announcements for Lost Eidolons today! Before we dive in, check out this quick message from Jin Sang, the creative director.

Release Date

You heard it from the man! Many of you have been waiting for this information, and we have finalized the date–the PC version of Lost Eidolons will be released on October 13, 2022. The team held multiple internal discussions to keep the wait as short as possible, but still ensure a schedule that allows us to bring you the best Lost Eidolons experience we can. For those of you catching up to Lost Eidolons news, please read this post to learn more about the delay with the Xbox version of the game.

Price

This required multiple discussions internally as well. We also took feedback from our community to explore many different options, then reached our conclusion: Lost Eidolons will be priced at 34.99 USD (subject to taxes, regional pricing, etc.). We’d like to add that the whole process was a blessing as we got to see how much our community valued Lost Eidolons!

Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to launch. If you haven’t already, make sure you wishlist Lost Eidolons on Steam to get notified as soon as the game is available!

The ODS Team

Lost Eidolons has been available to play on Steam Next Fest a couple of times, but I don't think we got much of an impression of how well it played. It's always nice to see a crowdfunded game actually launching (more or less) on schedule, though. These Koreans seem to know what they're doing.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
this has strong korean vibes

looks like cinematic dialogue + ff combat, but in a european knight setting

definitely not my thing but fair play

also squares are eew

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
this has strong korean vibes

looks like cinematic dialogue + ff combat, but in a european knight setting

definitely not my thing but fair play

also squares are eew
We have some important announcements for Lost Eidolons today! Before we dive in, check out this quick message from Jin Sang, the creative director.

Looks interesting nontheless.

elverkongen

Learned
I played the demo a while ago and it felt like the blandest, most milquetoast T/S/RPG that could possibly be made. Art style, graphics, combat, presentation, story... really the whole package is not interesting in the slightest.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Combat looks promising, but everything else screams "generic fantasy RPG #378".

Zeriel

Arcane
It's no wonder we get so many games with godawful post-modern art styles if this is how people react to normal looking models for once.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
That is sort of to be expected when you've experienced that many RPGs. I mean, what would you expect them to do?
Being creative? For example:

Tyranny (innovative setting and playing the “bad guys“)
Deadfire (pirate setting with ship travel and combat)
Wizardry and a few others (scifi elements fused with fantasy)

Zeriel

Arcane
That is sort of to be expected when you've experienced that many RPGs. I mean, what would you expect them to do?

So "being creative" means making bad games?

Vatnik Wumao

So "being creative" means making bad games taking risks?
Yes. Doesn't always pan out well for those that do, but that's what drives innovation. Otherwise shit gets stale if the only improvements are in the graphics department +/- some tweaks in a preestablished style of gameplay.

Zeriel

Arcane

So "being creative" means making bad games taking risks?
Yes. Doesn't always pan out well for those that do, but that's what drives innovation. Otherwise shit gets stale if the only improvements are in the graphics department +/- some tweaks in a preestablished style of gameplay.

If one wants to make an argument for innovation, though, they should use examples of the rare games that are both off the beaten path and GOOD, not just random games that were mediocre or sucked ass but were "different".

FWIW I liked Tyranny, but using Deadfire as an example for a desirable outcome is hilariously awful.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Deadfire has its weaknesses but is still a good game. Even the expansions of PoE1 were good and Deadfire builds on that. Maybe try getting over your PoE1 PTSD and look at Deadfire objectively.

Vatnik Wumao

If one wants to make an argument for innovation, though, they should use examples of the rare games that are both off the beaten path and GOOD, not just random games that were mediocre or sucked ass but were "different".
The issue is that the overwhelming majority of new RPGs are mediocre, so might as well pick the ones that are different since at least they add some variety to the sort of stuff that one gets to experience in current day RPGs.

I'd personally invoke franchises like Expeditions, Shadowrun Returns and Spellforce as better examples of that, but those are either genre hybrids (Spellforce in particular as an RTS hybrid) or just barebones in terms of RPG mechanics compared to the Infinity Engine games or what have you.

Zeriel

Arcane
Deadfire has its weaknesses but is still a good game. Even the expansions of PoE1 were good and Deadfire builds on that. Maybe try getting over your PoE1 PTSD and look at Deadfire objectively.

Imagine defending Josh "experience is bad" Sawyer in 2022.

Dadd

Learned

Never heard you complain about creativity when fellating Cleveland.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Getting a Wizardry 7 clone after 30 years that lives up to the original is more than enough in the case of Grimoire.

It's not like anyone else did something similar.

RunningWolf

Learned
Why do all fantasy games nowadays dress women in those retarded "croach-curtain" outfits? Its the same in pathfinder etc. Either give them normal fucking skirts, robes and armor(gambeson looking cosplay isn't armor), or dress them in sexy outfits like in the old days. What is this shit.

Kaivokz

Arcane
I like the art style.

“Realistic fantasy” isn’t exactly overdone, especially in the tactics RPG genre. “Fantasy” is overdone, but it usually takes on a more cartoony look besides a few exceptions (e.g. KC:D).

ozymandiusz

Novice
Everytime you attack there is that stupid animation? Can't imagine playing like that whole game. Wtf they were thinking? Fuck this game. 1/10 from me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom