Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lost Eidolons - Fire Emblem-inspired turn-based tactical RPG by Koreans

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

August development update preview with ODS Creative Director of Lost Eidolons, Jin Sang. This month's features shows a lot of great new designs for the game models and concepts!

Chapters:
00:00 - All highlights overview!
00:48 - Register for the Closed Beta!
01:39 - New models have hair...
02:12 - Lootable chests mid-fight
02:49 - Carriage, from concept to model
03:09 - Improving training from feedback!
03:45 - New spells
05:11 - New UI concepts
05:38 - A beast of legends...
06:27 - Concept artbook teasers
07:12 - Ep. 7 combat music
07:49 - Ep. 7 camp music
08:28 - Town Hall begins
08:41 - Does ODS plan for post-launch?
10:26 - Can enemies loot chests?
11:05 - Elemental synergy without spells?
11:57 - Steam Deck support?
12:37 - Choosing Unity engine
14:06 - Casual talk
18:10 - Outro

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oceandrivestudio/lost-eidolons/posts/3278581

All Kickstarter Fulfillment Surveys Sent

01124577a2c3e02e4e8ab5513c061a5b_original.png

Greetings Tacticians!

Apologies for sending out another update to basically say the same thing. But we wanted to let all of our backers know that as of 10:30 AM PST this morning, we've sent out the remaining 95% of the pledge fulfillment surveys to everybody.

Please check your e-mails (including your spam folders and the like) for an e-mail from BackerKit to fill out the information that we need from you.

If you're having any issues, please reach out to us at contact@oceandrive.studio!

Also, for being patient with us and waiting for the fulfillment survey, please check out some of the cool concept illustrations for the design of Lost Eidolons' hero, Eden!

a845c11ea226b2a12c5e031a8f06fcb3_original.jpg

Our valiant protagonist, Eden.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oceandrivestudio/lost-eidolons/posts/3297226

September 9th Dev Update Livestream
cd5fbca80649252a6d9b5893431934da_original.png

Greetings, Tacticians!

It's about that time of the month where we get together and talk about the latest and newest developments in Lost Eidolons on our local Twitch channel!

When:

• 6:00 PM PDT, Thursday September 9th (US West)
  • 9:00 PM EDT, Thursday September 9th (US East)
  • 2:00 AM BST, Friday September 10th (London)
  • 10:00 AM KST, Friday September 10th (Korea)
This month we've applied a lot of polish towards many different facets of the game including improving the UI, feel of hit impact, and general readability of the game's combat screen. Much of these changes were once again inspired by feedback provided to us back in June during the Steam Next Fest!

For those of you who missed last month's broadcast, please refer to this chaptered supercut of it uploaded onto YouTube:

Any questions that anyone has about the game or its development are free to be asked in the comments here or in the #town_hall section of our Discord server and we'll definitely answer it during the cast.

Twitch Channel: https://www.twitch.tv/oceandrivestudio

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oceandrivestudio/lost-eidolons/posts/3297229

The Lost Eidolons Beta Test Starts Sept. 30th!

41a506cfef460fe23e1e9ccf89350f8d_original.png

Tactician!

The time has come to raise your banner. The Lost Eidolons 1st Closed Beta test begins just six days from now, on September 30th at 6:00 AM PDT. The beta will run until October 6th, 2:00 PM PDT.

What to Expect
4e0387d2042bc15d1ace81d14e75df31_original.gif

The 1st Closed Beta offers episodes 1-8 in their entirety. There will still be polish and balancing to be applied, but it should give a relatively thorough experience, and an idea of what to expect from the full game.

In future playtests, which you will also have access to, more episodes will be added. Expected content for this playtest includes:
  • Basic combat/camp tutorial.
  • 7 additional combat scenarios.
  • Fully rendered cutscenes (no voiceover yet).
  • 6 camp sections with sidequests and camp activities.
  • Unit recruitment.
  • Class advancements and more in-depth character customization.
Helping Shape the Game
3b96df5317f8c009271e206df3864e40_original.png

While playing through the beta build of Lost Eidolons, or after you’ve finished it, we’d love to hear what you think about the game! The main objective of Benerio Grand Company is to gather feedback and opinions from early playtesters, in order to help make the game the best it can be (before everyone else gets to try it later on, in Early Access).

You can provide your feedback, suggestions, and bug reports via an upcoming Feature Upvote board we’ll be announcing next week, as well as on Discord!

Streaming & Video Content of the Beta
53ac4d766c14dd05630ed83e48877fb3_original.png

All of the beta periods of Lost Eidolons are under NDA. You can discuss the game with others freely (including those not in Benerio Grand Company), but sharing images and video is prohibited. This is solely because we want to keep the story elements of the game protected for those who want to experience the game in its entirety without spoilers.

However, if you are a content creator (e.g. on Twitch or YouTube), please reach out to CM Pat on Discord! We can authorize the creation of content for specific segments of the beta build(s) that have very little bearing on the storytelling aspect of Lost Eidolons.

Gaining Access to the Beta
Members of Benerio Grand Company (including all Kickstarter backers) should check their email for a code to download the beta. Your code will arrive on the 30th for installation, within the hour before the planned 6:00 AM PDT start time.

The Community Mission
5cad5f99a06a26347372d723eb31d59f_original.png

Game development historically is a task that’s performed behind closed doors. This is one place where we really want to stand out as a new game studio. While we have our vision for Lost Eidolons, we want to respect the opinions and ideas of our community and passionate testers. We’re depending on Benerio Grand Company to find everything that you think we’re doing right or wrong and point it out.

If we disagree, we’ll tell you why, and we can talk through each point of the game with you guys. We hope that everyone who will be playtesting will have at least one thought that sticks out to them about the game, whether positive or negative, that they can actively share with us, the developers.

Are you interested in participating in the beta test? You can still register to join the testing program by clicking the form link below:

We have not sent out emails to selected testers yet! As a reminder, all Kickstarter backers during the campaign will be receiving an email to participate. We will be publishing a separate announcement in the coming days, once we’ve selected our candidates, along with instructions on how to proceed.

How to Install the Beta
Take the code to Steam, where you can redeem it as a product.

1. Launch the Steam client software and log into your Steam account.
  2. Click the “Games” menu option at the top of the Steam client.
  3. Choose “Activate a Product on Steam…”
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process.
Closed Beta FAQ
Q: How can I get into the Closed Beta?
– Please fill out this form if you’re interested in joining the Closed Beta group!

Q: When will the Closed Beta begin?
– The Closed Beta begins on September 30th at 6:00 AM and runs until October 6th at 2:00 PM PDT!

Q: How many beta test phases will there be? How long does the test last for?
– We will have a total of 3 beta test phases between now and Early Access. Closed Beta 2 and 3 dates will be revealed in future announcements.

Q: I have the Lost Eidolons Alpha installed back from Steam Next Fest last June. Should I keep it?

– You may uninstall it. The beta client is separately maintained and the alpha client will no longer be updated.

Q: What are the requirements to be selected as a Closed Beta tester?
– We’re looking for highly passionate fans of tactical turn-based RPGs, who want to really help us by providing solid feedback about the game! We want to see your enthusiasm in the application!

Q: How will you be inviting people who signed up for the beta test?
– If your application is accepted, you should expect an email from ‘Ocean Drive Studio’ (contact@oceandrive.studio) with additional instructions on how to proceed!

Q: How will I access the Closed Beta build if accepted?
– Once you have been accepted to the Benerio Grand Company testing group, you’ll receive a Steam Key which can be redeemed through your Steam Library. After you redeem the key, you should see ‘Lost Eidolons Closed Beta’ in your Steam Library. Download and launch to start playing the game!

Q: What perks do I get as a beta tester?
– You will be granted access to all phases of Closed Beta tests. An additional invite to try out the game will be given to you to give to a friend or family member. On Discord, we’ll assign you a unique Discord role that provides access to a tester’s channel. Lastly, your alias will be added to a special section of the credits dedicated to the brave men and women of Benerio Grand Company.

Q: What kind of content will the first beta test have?
– Content will be gradually added throughout the three beta tests and will include an early look at the game’s first two major arcs.

• Basic combat/camp tutorial.
  • 7 additional combat scenarios.
  • Fully rendered cutscenes (no voiceover yet).
  • 6 camp sections with sidequests and camp activities.
  • Unit recruitment.
  • Class advancements and more in-depth character customization.
Q: Where can I submit my feedback as a beta tester?
– We'll be leveraging a Feature Upvote board as well as our Discord for aggregating feedback! More information on the Feature Upvote board will be provided via a separate article next week.

Q: What platforms are the beta available on?
– The beta will only be available on Windows PC.

Q: Is there multiplayer?
– There are no multiplayer functions planned at this time.

Q: What languages are supported during the Closed Beta?
– Full text support for English, Korean, Russian, German, French, European Spanish, and Brazilian Portuguese. Text seen during the beta tests may not be final. Voice acting will not be available during the first beta.

Q: Can I collect footage or images from the Closed Beta to share with others or to make content with?
– Closed Beta game builds are under NDA. You are free to talk about the game but please do not share images or videos. Content creators can reach out to ODS Pat on Discord and we’ll review requests case-by-case to record or stream specific segments of the beta build!

Q: Will my campaign progress carry over between beta phases and later to Early Access?
– We will be wiping progress before Lost Eidolons’ Early Access in early 2022.

Q: What are the minimum system specs?

• Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 or AMD equivalent
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 960 or AMD equivalent, 4 GB VRAM
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 40 GB available space

Last edited by a moderator:

ODS Pat

Arcane
Developer
Still checking in here! The beta is almost ready to play. It's much more than what the demo was, but obviously it's still rough around the edges as the first build since then. Hoping to see some of y'all try it out and let us know what you think. The feedback provided back in June was immensely helpful that we collected from here in improving a bunch of features and contents.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oceandrivestudio/lost-eidolons/posts/3313211

Using Feature Upvote to Gather Feedback!

Greetings, Tacticians!

The first beta playtest will be commencing in just a couple of days!

In order to consolidate feedback and issues in an organized fashion, our community and team will be using Feature Upvote!

Feature Upvote centralizes everything into one board where community members can submit feedback, suggestions, and bug reports in a single place, surfacing the most urgent and agreeable ideas to the top.

You could think of it like Reddit’s upvote system, but for feedback!

On top of that, you’ll be able to see which feedbacks the ODS team resolves and acts upon, so you could constantly be informed of what we’re accomplishing thanks to everyone’s contributions.
  • Visit our board, located here: https://losteidolons.featureupvote.com/
  • Click on an existing suggestion. If you agree with it (if a feedback or suggestion) or encountered the same problem (if a bug), make sure to upvote it! Additionally you can leave a comment weighing in on the feedback.
  • Click on Add Your Suggestion. Don’t worry, it doesn’t have to be a suggestion explicitly. Give your feedback a title. Descriptive, but brief! For the larger text box, be as descriptive and thorough as you want about what you’re writing about! Optionally, you can add an image. Strongly recommended!
  • When adding a new feedback or comment, make sure your name and e-mail match the display name you use on Discord and e-mail that you used when registering for the Benerio Grand Company or when you backed the game on Kickstarter/BackerKit! Only we can see the e-mail on our end.
  • On our end, we’ll apply tags to your feedback to help categorize it, and our development team will review it internally. When we’ve come to a decision on it, we’ll update the Status on it and comment if it needs further elaboration.
In an earlier memo, we wrote that contributing members of the Benerio Grand Company will receive additional perks for their contributions towards improving Lost Eidolons. Active participation on the Feature Upvote boards counts towards that!

We hope that by using this, we can streamline player feedback and vastly accelerate the community-to-development process.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oceandrivestudio/lost-eidolons/posts/3314307

ODS Plays 'Lost Eidolons' Today at 2:00 PM PDT!

cd5fbca80649252a6d9b5893431934da_original.png

Greetings, Tactician!

Today at 2:00 PM PDT, ODS Pat will be livestreaming parts of the closed beta build on the official Ocean Drive Studio channel! You can tune in and check out some developer commentary and gameplay from the first few episodes live, as well as ask questions!

Join us on our Twitch at: https://www.twitch.tv/oceandrivestudio

Stream Start Times:
  • US West: 2:00 PM PDT
  • US East: 5:00 PM EDT
  • London: 10:00 PM BST
  • Korea: 6:00 AM KST, September 30th
Note that cutscenes will be skipped to prevent any notable spoilers! Some camp contents will be shown as well.

Hope to see you all there!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Ah, they're using Korean time:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oceandrivestudio/lost-eidolons/posts/3314456

Closed Beta 1 Patch Notes

55a69a60eb5eb0ab74a6c82cee6567aa_original.png

A Note from ODS

“Thanks for testing out Lost Eidolons, Tactician. This is the first beta build of several to come. It’s still an early look at the game, so we’re missing a few coats of polish in a few areas like animation and voice acting. You might run into bugs, softlocks, unbalanced mechanics, and the occasional frustrating camp activity. Please let us know on Discord, Feature Upvote, or the Steam forums! As the tests go on, more and more content and finesse will be applied. Please look forward to it!”

– The ODS Team

Improvements from June’s Alpha Test Feedback
“Back in June of this year, players had a chance to try out the alpha version of Lost Eidolons during Steam Next Fest. Thanks to those contributions, our team was able to make several changes that we might not have made otherwise had it not been for that feedback. We plan to continue this method of development with these upcoming beta test phases.”

Applied demo-based combat feedback
  • The experience acquisition window automatically disappears after a certain period of time
  • Added variety of battle events to various scenarios (dialogue events, battle rewards, etc)
  • Added terrain and environmental effect information when hovering over with cursor
  • Added double-speed function for battle animations
  • Applied Rapport system with allied units
  • Added detailed skill names/effects
  • Added Normal/Hard difficulty modes, selected at the start of the playthrough
  • Added grid display option in combat
  • Added more distinguished critical/guard effects when attacking
  • Added a toggle that allows you to view all enemy movement and attack ranges at once
  • Added more details to unit info in combat (status effects, etc.)
Applied user feedback from the demo build in the camp portions of the game
  • Players can now select any camp character on the map screen to fast travel to them without a load screen
  • Improved speed of the training minigame in camp (sped up attack tempo, twice as fast!)
  • Improved meal/chat features in camp activities. This feature is in ongoing development.
New Content
7b708b40f2ec3ea22502457a78b75a0f_original.png

The Mercenaries
“A chance encounter with a hooded woman.”

Contains 5 cutscenes and teaches the player how to navigate the combat UI and map, as well as the basics of the turn-based combat system.

434fdb705a296f8c25a7ed5121dadee0_original.png

Trouble Calls
“Framed and apprehended.”

Contains 4 cutscenes and teaches the player about ranged combat, guards and critical hits, zone of control, utilizing items, undoing actions, and display risk range.

270e2ad68deb10ddd9254078896106c1_original.png

Breakout
“Escaping into the night.”

Contains 10 cutscenes and teaches the player about spells, weapons and weaknesses, swapping weapons mid-combat, turn limits, and item drops. Additionally introduces the camp outgame system, instructing players the basics of interacting with allies, rapport, character settings, and quests.

cfdf143df3f80d0a55820a64878a4979_original.png

Break of Dawn
“Dispatching hellish beasts.”

Contains 1 cutscene and teaches the player about battle preparation, fighting monsters, and bond effects. Camp section introduces merchants and the Unity Ceremony.

38f44beb5b3c0038573a5736739f54c0_original.png

The Proving Grounds
“Mounting an all-offensive siege.”

Contains 7 cutscenes and teaches the player about context actions, combat skills, tile effects, treasure chests, and special enemy mechanics.

0071d09d0ec7a07ece006c4cee31c12b_original.png

Murder of Crows
“A beast like none other.”

Contains 5 cutscenes and teaches the player about poison effects and charged attacks. Camp section introduces new features and NPCs, as well as a tutorial on visitors/recruiting new units.

df431256810fe00ddacd8043b9c7bcba_original.png

Thorned Rose
“Ambush behind enemy lines.”

Contains 4 cutscenes. Camp section teaches player about sparring at the training grounds.

4f9d864210049b41a5a68ef786743769_original.png

Slumbering Bear
“Breaking down walls.”

Contains 5 cutscenes. Camp section teaches player about equestrian mounts for units.

New Features and Systems
Since the Steam Next demo, we’ve added or improved various mechanics:

• Numerous camp/battle tutorial windows
  • Cutscenes for Chapters 1-8
  • Battles against monsters and the weak-point system
  • Battles against boss enemies
  • Better battle rewards (treasure chests, enemy loot drops, etc.)
  • Battle ally system

Content Changelog
General Features

• Camp/Battle Tutorials
Combat

• Addition of monster-class enemies
  • Addition of lootable treasure chests during combat scenarios
  • Addition of ally team members during certain combat sccenarios (guests)
System

• Save and Load functions
  • Manual saving is possible upon entering the camp segment
  • Autosave will trigger at the starting point of all battles, camp sections, and cutscenes
  • Saving during battle will be implemented later
Quests

• Addition of required Quests/Side Quests, according to the flow of each story section. Each episode now has main objectives as well as optional side objectives
Camp

• Addition of Advancement Ceremony, where you can promote units to more powerful classes
  • Implementation of ally recruitment/invitation, where you can add new members to your combat roster
Bug Fixes

• Bug fixes will be noted starting from the second patch note. Consider this one our starting point!

Known Issues
Common:

• We are preparing for multilingual support.
  • In languages other than Korean/English, there are still some untranslated text.
  • There are areas in the UI that have not been size-optimized for all languages.
Cutscenes:

• Please note that all cutscenes are still in development and will receive additional polishing before launch.
  • The character’s expressions/eyes/lipsync may look off. We are currently working on improving these.
  • There are moments where the character animation may appear stiff or awkward. We are currently working on improving these.
  • Interruptions in character animation may occasionally occur.
  • There is no sound or voiceover yet applied.
Camp:

• When using the fast travel function through the camp map menu, there is sometimes a bug that causes Eden to run in place instead of moving in front of the selected character.
  • There are still moments where the character animation appears awkward. We are constantly working on improving/correcting this.
Battle

• There are moments in battle where battle animations clip through terrain.
  • There are some moments in which the monster animation appears awkward. We are constantly working on improving/correcting it.
  • Additional unchecked errors may appear as well.
In Development

• The game does not support controllers in this phase, but our team is planning to make that functionality available in the near future.
Localization
New language options – Please note that the following languages have yet not gone through the full Localization Quality Assurance cycle:

• Brazilian Portuguese
  • Castilian Spanish
  • English
  • French
  • German
  • Korean
  • Russian
Known issues:

• A few lines of text may have slipped through the cracks in our localization pipeline. (If you encounter a line that displays in Korean or shows something like “no value”, that’s why.)
  • Some typos throughout various languages
  • Some terminology inconsistencies throughout various languages
  • Some text/UI elements are cut off or otherwise not displaying correctly
  • French Specific: Keys for cursor movement mapped for QWERTY keyboard and not AZERTY keyboard. Will be updated in future updates (FR : Problème remonté : les touches de déplacement du curseur sont configurées pour un clavier QWERTY et non pour un clavier AZERTY. Ce problème sera corrigé dans les prochaines mises à jour.)
  • Known issues will be addressed in future releases

Last edited:

ODS Pat

Arcane
Developer
Try or not, I'll check in here daily to see if anyone has any input! During these beta/demo periods we collect feedback daily from players, lump them into a more easily digestible report, and send them over to the design director. He looks at them and gives his input, then we address them during Town Hall livestreams or in a Beta Recap.

You guys and many other places gave us a ton of useful feedback. So we certainly want to be responsive to all of it.

But on the other hand, beta testing is thankless as hell. It's literally giving up the integrity of your first impressions of the full experience to instead experience it in a half-cooked state. I wouldn't be surprised if many folks didn't want to do that.

It's also, cynically, glorified unpaid QA.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
^That is (or at least should be) the demo that was released on Steam in June. The new beta is under NDA.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
^That is (or at least should be) the demo that was released on Steam in June. The new beta is under NDA.
That seems to be the case.
...There's going to be a playtest some time in the next few days and I am permitted to show off parts of the playtest. In the meantime I thought I'd try out the demo so I'd be familiar with how the game plays....

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

September development update preview with ODS Creative Director of Lost Eidolons, Jin Sang. This month's features shows new UI improvements, new art, and support for the new player learning experience.

Chapters:
00:43 - Options & Tutorial Screens
02:13 - New Reward Screen
02:50 - Latest UI Design Concept
03:37 - Attack Range Display
04:48 - Improved Crit Animation
05:34 - Model Headshots (Artbook)
05:11 - New UI concepts
06:08 - Illustration Cutscene
07:40 - Concept Art (Ch. 18)
09:22 - Combat Music #5
10:27 - Camp Music #5
12:24 - Town Hall begins
26:10 - Outro

Town Hall Questions:
- Yangso (Discord): Will there be some kind of auto-battle setting for the game to make decisions for you?
- Yangso (Discord): Ability to rewind some turns, or actions?
- Yangso (Discord): Can you save mid-fight?
- Yangso (Discord): Will enemies have fixed item drops, or randomized?
- Yangso (Discord): Can some treasure chests in battle have loot that can be missed permanently?
- Bappletrees (Twitch): Will save-scumming be a thing?
- Yangso (Discord): Can you replay story battles with rewards?
- Yangso (Discord): New-Game plus?
- Yangso (Discord): Will difficulty settings impact your rewards in any way? Or do they only affect combat difficulty?
- Bappletrees (Twitch): Will there be any superbosses or hidden bosses in Lost Eidolons with extreme difficulty?
- Yangso (Discord): Does skill proficiency increase one's damage with that weapon type?
- Yangso (Discord): Will there be any decision-making during dialogue that is just for fun? I know that the story is linear, but like a choice during a conversation that doesn't have an important effect.
- Bappletrees (Twitch): What kind of pacing do imagine players will play the game in? Like should they play in one hour blocks? Longer? Shorter?
- Caiusto (Twitch): Kind of related to the decisions and the hidden missions too, can we expect some hidden scenes or dialogues depending what one do at the camp?
- Bappletrees (Twitch): In terms of story telling, do you prefer the plot to be based more on the characters personalities or the world events?
- xsilvershotx (Twitch): I’d like to go back to the RNG seed mentioned being locked in to avoid saving and reloading. Is it locked on a per episode basis or per start of game play through?
- Bappletrees (Twitch): As a creative director, how much of your own philosophy on society/humanity plays a role in how the world events pan out? Or do you keep the events contained to the universe?

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oceandrivestudio/lost-eidolons/posts/3328095

How we’re working with beta feedback!

01124577a2c3e02e4e8ab5513c061a5b_original.png

Greetings, Tacticians!

It’s been about a week since the first Lost Eidolons Closed Beta ended, and we wanted to take some time to address some of the feedback the community has been providing us regarding the current state of Lost Eidolons. It’s a major philosophy of Ocean Drive Studio to leverage the feedback loop between the community and the development team as an instrumental tool when creating a game. We have our vision of where we want to take our games as a studio, but we have faith in our community’s ideas and suggestions as well. Teamwork makes the dream work, right?

During the first Closed Beta, over 300 participants tried out the game and gave us their feedback. 65 players gave us a detailed survey summary of their experiences (spanning 87 questions) while 80 Feature Upvote submissions were upvoted 730 times with nearly 100 comments total.

For our first and most focused playtest, this is a resounding success. Thanks to this, our team gained some keen insights on several actionable items, and our list of feedback to work on is still growing as we continue to sift through everyone’s comments. Here are a few below:

-----

Obelia [Feature Upvote – Class Advancement Feedback]: When changing class for the first time, the skills previously assigned were removed and there was no notification to reassign them before the next battle. Overall, the Skill notification needs to be improved. If a character has skill slots available and unassigned skills, player should be notified.

• ODS: We’re working on the character management UI, and will especially make note of creating some sort of notification during class acquisition when it unequips all your current skills.
-----

S0LU [Feature Upvote – Animation Feedback]: Only one eye sometimes moves in cutscenes, causing them to look cross eyed.

• ODS: To be honest, we were already aware of their somewhat drifting eyes even before the beta, but it wasn’t something we could fix before it was time to deploy the build. This along with animations in general (to avoid that uncanny valley effect) is something that we’ll gradually be working on, as well as reviewing potential other methods to avoid the issue altogether if possible.
-----

Abundy [Discord – Combat Visuals Feedback]: Fights taking place with one of the characters in a thicket often only shows the thicket, with the character and their animation etc. being invisible, maybe the thickets should only be like knee high during the animations or just modeled differently so they don’t break the battle cutscenes

• ODS: This is something we’re working on. When the camera pans inwards when an attack is confirmed, the game’s graphics become much more detailed at the actual location of the map. We’re still working out the logistics of visibility though in these types of scenarios, but we know there can be loss of immersion if your character is wildly swinging at a thicket, with the enemy hiding somewhere in it. Or maybe that’s more realistic, but it definitely doesn’t look as cool.
-----

Shawn Andrews [Feature Upvote – Options Suggestion]: Quit to Main Menu option from in battle.

• ODS: We’re going to overhaul the entire battle systems menu, to which this option will be included.
-----
Rin.Creative [Feature Upvote – UI Feedback]: The characters; Francisco, Eden and Leon, are wearing shoddy towns clothes but their icons show them wearing very good armor. This is almost a spoiler for what is to come with the characters. As commoner class, the icon should represent this.

• ODS: Ahh… what a keen eye. You know, we’ll have to adjust these portraits so it accurately reflects what they’re actually wearing no matter what class they currently are. At the moment it’s just one default portrait. Good looks!
-----

Joyce [Feature Upvote – Options Suggestion]: Can we add a feature that I can save mid-battle?

• ODS: This is definitely going to be implemented. We understand that some folks may not be able to commit a full block of time to a half hour to hour long battle and want to be able to put the game down and pick it back up later.
-----

Pat [Feature Upvote – Controls Suggestion]: You are supposed to be able to pan the camera with WASD but it doesn’t work. Also smooth panning is preferred over using WASD to move one grid space at a time from the cursor.

• ODS: Among combat shortcuts (as well as being able to remap them), we’ll review the methods of control and operation to make the player’s experience less frustrating and more smooth overall, including WASD panning.
-----

Mechpolaris [Feature Upvote – Options Suggestion]: Add information regarding the difficulty differences when selecting the difficulty at the start of a playthrough.

• ODS: True, it would be confusing to select a difficulty if you had absolutely no idea what the difference was between them. We’ll going to least add a description when you make the choice.
-----

These are just a few feedbacks that we are actively developing solutions towards currently. However there’s tons more that we’re reviewing at the moment, such as better visual clarity on battle maps, built-in reminders for weapon advantage vs. armor types, UI clarity in places like the class advancement so that you don’t have to struggle to see advancement requirements, improving weapon types to be more distinguished from one another, and improved controls such as being able to click on an adjacent enemy to immediately launch an attack without having to menu. This isn’t even scratching the surface! Expect us to share more and more responses on your ideas in future articles.

So now, you may be wondering, “What comes next?”

We’re going to take as much time as necessary to develop important adjustments based on your feedback. We don’t think it would be as impactful if we gave you a version of the game filled with many of the issues and concerns you’ve already remarked on last time.

If we could wow everyone in the next beta the same way we wowed some of the Steam Next Fest alpha participants who got to try out this beta build, that would be a win in our books.

Upon making these changes, we’ll update everyone along the way by using the Feature Upvote board to mark the current status of each feedback as well as commenting on your suggestions. Lastly, we’ll provide monthly updates on everything new during our monthly dev update livestreams, as we always have before.

Speaking of which, there’s one coming up this upcoming Thursday! We’ll be checking out October’s newest updates in the game and inquiring Creative Director Jin Sang on his thoughts on many of these ideas you’ve all provided live. Make sure to follow our Twitch channel!

The folks at Ocean Drive Studio would like to once again thank you all in our community for giving us your earnest feedback. Don’t pull any punches along our journey in creating a timeless turn-based tactical RPG. Keep calling us out on the things you don’t like and keep notifying us of the things that you do like about Lost Eidolons.

We will keep improving.

We’re counting on you, Tactician.

– The ODS Team

-----

P.S. – Some extra news! We had some folks ask us if any of the physical collector’s editions were still available, so our team decided to re-open the BackerKit store as a way to celebrate this successful first beta. We’ll keep it open for another month for those who still want to pick up a copy! The physical collector’s edition includes a collector’s box, 2LP vinyl soundtrack, an extra digital Steam copy of the game, and a collector’s art book!

Store URL: https://losteidolons.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

October development update with ODS Creative Director of Lost Eidolons, Jin Sang. This month's features shows new UI improvements, new art, and support for the new player learning experience.

Chapters:
00:49 - On the topic of cutscenes!
02:27 - A new fearsome creature...
04:45 - Campaign progress storytelling?
05:44 - Forecast UI aesthetic improvement!
07:17 - 3D character renders!
08:04 - Dangerous ground traps...
08:47 - Night camp lighting improvements!
09:18 - Cutscene improvements!
10:14 - New UI concepts (almost there)!
15:14 - Combat Music #6
16:17 - Camp Music #6
17:20 - Discussing some specific feedback items!
20:10 - Outro

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oceandrivestudio/lost-eidolons/posts/3348955

What we've learned from CBT1

b0ee5f723d5eec9510f452daf86a5536_original.png

Greetings, Tacticians!

A few weeks ago, we shared our initial impressions from some of the most popular player feedbacks from CBT1. Today, we wanted to share a more comprehensive list of things that our team is working on thanks to your ideas and suggestions.

Many of these adjustments may not have happened without players bringing them up, so our team is duly grateful of the comprehensive feedback that our community provided. Many of the changes to be made improved storytelling, more enjoyable combat, and better controls as well as UI/UX.

Given the volume of such improvements, we'll need to adjust the development schedule. Once we have a concrete timeline, we’ll share this with the community right away.

For now, please take pride in the fact that your voices have greatly affected the direction of several aspects of the game, from storytelling pace to combat to outgame, and more! As a caveat, please note that plans to develop each of these features may differ slightly from the original proposition in the actual implementation.

83e92eeaf3875607417f3e59570b7622_original.png

Lastly, in addition to these changes, we want to discuss our method of story-telling. As you saw during the beta period, there were fully rendered cutscenes, most of which were not present during the alpha. Based on our playtesters' impressions, we’ve decided to adjust this part of Lost Eidolons as well.

Our plan is to remove some of the minor cutscenes and replace them with characters speaking to one another with blurred backgrounds of the environment they’re in. These will be dialogue-focused scenes without any complicated rendered actions.

We will then take the rendered cutscenes from the major moments of the game, and finely polish them so they can really impress all who see them. We want these particular scenes to be monumental parts of Lost Eidolons.

9ca685d366e893db47b73da8f009f03b_original.png

In addition to these two types of cutscenes, we’ll also have the illustrated cutscenes we mentioned in previous articles that will also assist with the storytelling during certain episodes of the campaign.

Once again, we’d like to thank the Benerio Grand Company for their comprehensive feedback. We’re looking forward to seeing your reactions to the changes you’ve made happen implemented into the game!

- The ODS Team

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom