Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lost Odyssey

Gwendo

Augur
I'm tempted to try X360's Lost Odyssey, a turn based jRPG.

Anyone tried it? What are your opinions?

Andhaira

Arcane
IMo it looks fantastic. I only saw /played the first battle.

The grafix and presentation are outstanding; its amazing what they can do with teknology these days.

It does suffer form the over played kEwLness!!!! of the heroZ but if you can look aside that it appears to offer deep and staisfying gameplay. I dunno about the story though since that would reaquire me to actually pklay it for a while (I don't have xbox360)

I say get it, spend the weekend on it and let us know what you think.

psycojester

Arbiter
From what i've heard it looks pretty but is absolute shit and has awful loading times.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I hear It's more of an old school JRpg with TB combat that requires a LOT of time to finish. It looks a bit too flashy and cutey but that's to be expected from big-budget jrpg titles. This seems to be the big move from microsoft to gain some of the jrpg audience of the PS. Of course when the new FF comes out, all the junkies are gonna buy a ps3... Try it If it's your cup of tea, I know I would if I had an XBOX360.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
It looks ridiculously bad, a generic Final Fantasy clone because thats the only thing the developers know how to make. Supposedly most of the game is cinematics and not gameplay, sounds like fun.

Kortalh

Liturgist
I was thinking about getting it myself. I enjoy a good JRPG from time to time... particularly SNES-era ones. GameFAQs reviewers say that this game hearkens back to those glory days.

... not that GameFAQs reviewers are renown for their excellent taste and high intelligence. But what they described sounds appealing anyway.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
ummm go play it if you like to be rewarded with cinematics for winning battles. That's the impression I get from my friend who kept gushing of the awesome flashbacks scenes.

it's a story of amnesiac immortal. Hope for a port coz i'm bored.

Andhaira

Arcane
lol amnesiac immortal....planescape fanboyz should be all over this like a hippo on a hippy in heat!!

lol

WalterKinde

Scholar
The reason it looks like a Final Fantasy clone is because the creator of the Final Fantasy series worked on it.
As for gameplay, lets see if you have played any FF/Square Enix games, you won't be surprised.
The game is not exactly breaking any new ground with innovation , however it is a major jrpg for the xbox so i guess that should mean something :).
Its an interesting story with your typical big animated cut scenes at the appropriate places and it takes full advantage of the xbox next gen power but don't come to the game expecting say something in the realm of a sandbox rpg, like all jrpgs its a bit linear in that new areas etc only open up after the specific quest/cut scene has been activated or done.

slipgate_angel

Scholar
Someone said that it was shitty, but then again this is coming from the guy that refuses to play Fallout or Planescape.

It does look pretty sweet actually. :)

Solaris

Scholar
I've been in two minds about getting this, mostly out of shear boredom right now. Played all the good stuff to death (Witcher, Motb, etc) and fancy a change of pace on the 360.

Not really a jrpg fan tho, but good ole fashioned turn-based I don't mind....hmm

Draikin

Novice
I finished it last week, it's an average game.

The "1000 year dreams" visual novels are great, a real novelist wrote them. But the actual story doesn't compare to the dreams, it's your average JRPG story .... in this case, immortal = forever adolescent. Combat system is pretty good but they fucked up with the first boss (most difficult part of the game). It's also quite strange how each disc is different:

disc1: introduction
disc2: dungeons crawling
disc3: FF-like events and narrating
disc4: side quests and final dungeon.

Once again, an Unreal Engine 3 game that is not a corridor shooter suffers from long loading times. With Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey loading screens, Epic stole 10 hours of my life. I fear Obsidian's Alien game will suffer the same fate.

Lurkar

Scholar
Actually, I've heard it's incredibly good, especially for a jRPG, and has a noticable lack of BELTS AND ZIPPERS as well as stock and cliche character types (or at least the stock and cliche character types you're more likely to see in jRPGs).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom