Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lots of questions about Gothic 2

Transcendent One

Liturgist
1. Melee weapons other than the rapier don't require dexterity at all, right? And ranged weapons don't require strength.
2. Does a higher strength/dexterity increase damage or chance to hit.
3. Does a high percentage in a weapon skill increase chance to hit or what?
4. How does parry work? Is there a percentage of success when parrying an attack?
5. How come in combat sometimes my character deals only a small amount of damage to the enemy's health bar and other times he takes off like a third or even a half? What is involved in this, and how does the damage that is stated on the weapon description get modified?

This doesn't seem to be explained in the manual very well or at all (or maybe I'm stupid). Anyways, thanks for your time.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Uhm, lesse here...

1) There are some odd dex-based blades. But the best weapons are str-based. No ranged weapons require str.
2)Don't know. I believe G2 has more of a to-hurt than a to-hit system. But I'm guessing. The higher stat, the likelier you do max damage. Otherwise it's just a prereq for what weapons you can atually use. Dex affects your movement speed and str hitpoints... I think?
3)See above.
4) Unknown. I usually dodged and weaved and that was about it. I think it's all up to you.
5)I'll have to refer to #3 here again.

RPGGUY

Novice
Transcendent One said:
1. Melee weapons other than the rapier don't require dexterity at all, right? And ranged weapons don't require strength.
4. How does parry work? Is there a percentage of success when parrying an attack?
5. How come in combat sometimes my character deals only a small amount of damage to the enemy's health bar and other times he takes off like a third or even a half? What is involved in this, and how does the damage that is stated on the weapon description get modified?

This doesn't seem to be explained in the manual very well or at all (or maybe I'm stupid). Anyways, thanks for your time.
1.Correct only the rapier requires dex. The ranged weapons don't use str I belive.
2. No it just allows you to use better gear.
3. It increases your chance to critical. A 40 in 1 handed weapons gives you 40% to critical.
4. It's all based on your hand eye cordination. It can be hard to get down.
5. When it takes off a huge amout it meant you just got a critical. Its all based on your weapon skill, which goes back to question 3.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
True, that's why there's not much point in increasing a weapon skill above 100, better to focus on the relevant stat. Dexterity gives a damage bonus to Missile weapons, IIRC. Parry is only useful against enemies that use weapons, BTW. So while it can help a lot against orcs and skeletons, it's completely useless against shadowbeasts. A higher skill in a melee weapon lets you perform more complicated and powerful combos as well.

dagamer667

Liturgist
Transcendent One said:

1. A few melee weapons use dex instead of STR but they are an exception to the rule (to give ranged characters something better than a stick or a butter knife for close combat). For ranged weapons, STR is used for crossbows and Dex is used for bows to set requirements.
2. It allows you to use better weapons and your STR is added to the damage on a critical. Dex is used for ALL ranged weapons to determine damage.
3. It only increases your chance of a critical and allows you to use better moves in fights.
4. To put it simple, it doesn't work very well. You need to use it as you are about to be hit by a blade. Wildy swinging it from side to side is far more effective in practice
5. It's criticals that do a lot of damage. The damage done on standard hits is also reduced by some multiplier, which is why they take off only a small sliver of health compared to criticals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom