Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Love/hate jRPGs" "turn based combat"

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
If you like TB combat then dont play JRPGs. If you don't like TB combat then don't play JRPGs. Thats the basic rule for me. A few games break that rule. Fire Emblem breaks it. The game is fuckin degenerate but its positives stand.

Luzur

Good Sir
i hate the "suddenly: Combat!" every few steps stuff in JRPG's, i want to see my enemies and be able to walk for more then 4 steps.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I want to be able to invest in negotiation and diplomacy skills so that I can bribe Greater Weregrizzlies into not attacking me and convince the final boss to kill himself. Is that too much to ask for?!?!!

Gwendo

Augur
Kaanyrvhok said:
If you like TB combat then dont play JRPGs. If you don't like TB combat then don't play JRPGs. Thats the basic rule for me. A few games break that rule. Fire Emblem breaks it. The game is fuckin degenerate but its positives stand.

I think I can count more turn based jRPGs than turn based wRPGs. Japanese always apreciated turn based combat. The western people goes for real time, 3D, shiny graphics RPGs.

Ever since I first picked up a controller, I've had this love/hate relationships with JRPG's. While I can see the positive points of these kinds of games (Story, Character Development, etc...)

Stopped reading.

Incidentally, my feelings about jRPGs are exact opposite. Most of them are quite fun games with quirky, interesting systems and the com-HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Gwendo said:
Japanese always apreciated turn based combat.
It's too bad they never appreciated it beyond the simple grindan stuff they got in Dragon Warrior. I've never seen a Jap game with turn-based combat even close to being as fun and tactical as X-Com, Knights of Legend, Wizard's Crown, Temple of Elemental Evil, Knights of the Chalice or Jagged Alliance 2, etc.

It's almost always the same deal that even has to load up a big arena area for the fight to take place, usually happening every five steps, and the combat itself is often the same thing as every other JRPG only with some shitty gimmick thrown in to try and make it different, like FF8 or Legend of Dragoon. What a bunch of lazy bullshit.

That's because they don't "appreciate" it. Japs are traditionalists, once they grab onto something they will hold to it even if there's a dozen better, easier and faster solutions available.

Not like the buyers themselves could force the devs to try something else, since japs will buy any game as long as it has a pretty cover.

betamin

Learned
If you put X-COM, JA2, etc you should compare it to stuff like final fantasy tactics not to some shitty game like ff8,7 or w/e

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Emotional Vampire said:
Ever since I first picked up a controller, I've had this love/hate relationships with JRPG's. While I can see the positive points of these kinds of games (Story, Character Development, etc...)

Stopped reading.

Incidentally, my feelings about jRPGs are exact opposite. Most of them are quite fun games with quirky, interesting systems and the com-HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.

God WTF was that??? That was gayer than Dragon Age's gay sex scene.

Dnny

Educated
Only in japan, heterosexual romance feels gayer than gay sex.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
If you put X-COM, JA2, etc you should compare it to stuff like final fantasy tactics not to some shitty game like ff8,7 or w/e
Comparing Jap tbs games like FFT or Fire Emblem to JA2 or X-Com would be like comparing a hill to Mt. Everest or Olympus Mons.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Emotional Vampire said:
That's because they don't "appreciate" it. Japs are traditionalists, once they grab onto something they will hold to it even if there's a dozen better, easier and faster solutions available.
:arrow:

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Gwendo said:
I think I can count more turn based jRPGs than turn based wRPGs. Japanese always apreciated turn based combat. The western people goes for real time, 3D, shiny graphics RPGs.

Remove all of the TB games that dont let you move then recount. Might still be more. I dont know. I would wager that somewhere between half or even three quarters of JRPGs have that stupid patty cake form of TB combat where you cant even freakin move.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
betamin said:

Whoo, it's not like they come even close then! And hey, let's compare ToEE and KotC against FF8 or 10 or whatever - still comes up sorely lacking!

Tycn

Savant
The seductive nature of the JRPG's plot will eventually bring me crawling back to it, begging for forgiveness and for another chance to taste the sweetness that is the story or finding out what happens to Soandso or Whoshisface

Oh yes.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Ya'll some ignorant motherfuckers.

JRPGs are a specific genre, it doesn't include every RPG from Japan.

Japan makes a lot of tactical RPGs and while they're not as good as the best ones from Europe/North America, they make far, far more of them, so there are actually a decent number of playable ones.

Tactics Ogre's combat doesn't really have much in common with the combat of Dragon Quest.

And Tactics Ogre has some pretty solid tactical turn based combat, with significant RPG elements.

Frankly I'd say Japan is probably the capital of turn based tactical gaming today, simply by virtue of actually making the genre. Eastern Europe and Russia probably end up in second place.

betamin

Learned
GarfunkeL said:
betamin said:

Whoo, it's not like they come even close then! And hey, let's compare ToEE and KotC against FF8 or 10 or whatever - still comes up sorely lacking!

I was pointing out the genre difference, not the quality level difference.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Fat Dragon said:
Comparing Jap tbs games like FFT or Fire Emblem to JA2 or X-Com would be like comparing a hill to Mt. Everest or Olympus Mons.

At least FFT had a proper turn/speed system. X-Com had 'LOLZ I WAIT BY DOOR AND SHOOTS THEM' and less effective weapon variety than super mario bros. The most tactical thing you could do was stand somewhere you figured an enemy might walk by to get reaction shots or send cannon fodder ahead of the rest of your team to act as magical vision extender guy. All the other hand weapons were inferior to plasma rifles, the only other things worth maybe using were rockets and alien grenades. Unless you had an 'I win' blaster and didn't mind reloading if whoever you gave it to got mind controlled and wiped your entire team.

It was more tactical than your standard blob party or a single character game like fallout, yeah, but 3d chess it was not. FFT lacked in difficulty if you abused the system or used OMGWTBBQ Cid, but it had tons of options and reasons to use them. Spells that limited movement, attacks, spells, caused poison, death sentence, sleep, spell reflection (That actually reflected the spells to another tile, though figuring out where it'd go was too much of a headache for me to use), equipment breaking or theft, haste, slow, physical or magical defense spells, etc, about ten different elements, dozens of classes and monsters both to fight against and use yourself, tons of useful items, terrain modifiers for height depending on the weapon or spell... There are probably more viable ways to deal with any single enemy standing on a given square in a single map in FFT than there are ways to deal with anything in the entire game of BG2, let alone X-Com.

PorkaMorka said:
Ya'll some ignorant motherfuckers.

JRPGs are a specific genre, it doesn't include every RPG from Japan.

Japan makes a lot of tactical RPGs

They're still jRPGs, except tactical. Moran.

and while they're not as good as the best ones from Europe/North America, they make far, far more of them, so there are actually a decent number of playable ones.

Just like there's a number of playable dating sims amirite?

No need to be shy, just say you love teh nippon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom