Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I'm talking about everyone wanting to teach Shun even though the description clearly states he doesn't have the prerequisites.

Absinthe

Arcane
Lambchop19, I know. That's why I asked treave to make sure that Jing really warned Shun about this and advised him to practice it in matches and real bouts as much as possible so his understanding stays grounded in practical applications instead of getting lost inside meditation. Treave, Jing is seriously warning and advising him, right?

*sigh* We're going to have another sleeping emperor on our hands, aren't we?

asxetos

Augur
HEY, DUMBASSES!
Wuxiang Qiankun Skill (無相乾坤功, Formless Universe Skill)

Created by a Shaolin monk who merged Buddhist and Taoist teachings. It is said to have no step at all, being formless, with its progression entirely dependent on the user to develop for itself. Due to that requirement, the risk of losing oneself during meditation – causing their consciousness to never return – is rumored to be extremely high. It is the only method in existence that can reconcile the energies of the Jiuyin Holy Art and the Jiuyang Divine Skill.

Just why do you all want to put Shun in a coma again? It's dangerous and we shouldn't tell him.

Jing already surpassed that obstacle when he first used the Skill in the fire temple. He was not particularly interested in discussing the meaning of life, universe and everything with the Grand Taoist.

Absinthe

Arcane
We know. The problem is Shun.

I'm afraid we're just going to have to trust that if we clearly warn him about the dangers, he will avoid them. Maybe we should be even clearer on this point and tell Shun to not try to use this meditation to obtain a form of enlightenment because that is how you lose yourself completely. Treave, can we add this to the warning?

Last edited:

Naah

Unlike your avarage codexian, Shu is actually smart and has common sense.
Yeah, it's not like he has a family history of insanity or anything. :M

He's pretty motivated to protect the empire no matter the cost. If he get's desperate, I have little doubt he'd try it.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
If you want to be a better swordsman, I would suggest you vote for one of the sword techniques (VIII seems to be the only viable option now).

I really think that we should pick up at least one technique that we can use in a fight without having to use the WQS. I think that the Taiji Fist/Sword would be a big boon to us because it would help round out our fighting style. We have always run into the problem during fights where we are worried that we will cause unnecessary damage because all of our abilities are extremely violent and based on an all-out-attack mentality. Since the Taiji-styles are defensive, it would give us an ability to fight and not worry about hurting people if we don't want to. Also, since we have (temporarily, I hope) lost the wodao, our saber/sword techniques do not work as well as they did before, so we could use a style that we can use with both the wodao and without.

Besides, I am really digging the idea of fleshing out the zen-order side of Jing. It could be cool to have a fighting style that meshes with our ability to change our internal states and would give us the practice that we need to maintain the order side of our ability, since we have had trouble keeping it up when we are under pressure.

Esquilax

Arcane
Just why do you all want to put Shun in a coma again? It's dangerous and we shouldn't tell him.

There seems to be very little reason for Shun to know this technique. He's not a martial artist, and there's little reason for him to even possess it. I'm convinced, I've flopped my vote to B VI VII

Elfberserker

Liturgist

Naah

Unlike your avarage codexian, Shu is actually smart and has common sense.
Yeah, it's not like he has a family history of insanity or anything. :M

He's pretty motivated to protect the empire no matter the cost. If he get's desperate, I have little doubt he'd try it.

He actually has pretty compentivite agents under him, So I doubt that Shu is trying to improve his own combat capalities.

Eunochs however might have to learn WQS or other poor sods, Besides if he wants fighter then we are there......Most of the time....Sometimes...God we are horrible right hand man :negative:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The BRO asks, and the BRO receives.

I was somewhat amused by the flurry of votes saying 'of course, Shun! right away, Shun!' without thinking.

Guess I am voting it so I could read an Inception X Wuxia fic where we try and get Shun's conscience back.

Absinthe

Arcane
I really think that we should pick up at least one technique that we can use in a fight without having to use the WQS.
We already upgraded our Yuchang Sword techniques with some very powerful new moves recently and we even have a legendary sword technique right now. That was part of the reason for the trade with Bai Jiutian (that and making sure she won't backstab us). Not to mention we can still use many of our kenjutsu moves. I think our current swordsmanship is fairly strong as is.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Current Tally:

Eryfkrad A V VI

Asxetos A VI VIII

AkkuDakku A X>VII XI>IV

Jester A VIII VII

Tropic A V X>XI

Azira A X XI

Baltika9 A VI VII>V

Chumbucket B V VIII

Elfberserker B V>VII VI

Nevill A V>VIII, VI

Kz3r0 A X XI

Ifeek - X XI

Ganymede A IV VII

Kipeci A X XI

Tigranes - VI XI

Absinthe A X XI

Esquilax B VI VII

XenomorphII A VII IX

Tome A, V XI>X.

Fangshi A VI VIII

Kashim Slippers A IV VIII

Rex Feral A X XI

Archaen B. X XI > X VI

Lambchop19 B XI VII

Tribute - V VIII

Current tally

A: 18
-: 2
B: 5

IV: 2 (3) You learn the Liushen Shanshen Great Skill (六聖善神大法, Spenta Ormazd Great Skill),
V: 7 (conditional 8) V. You learn the Dingdi Step (定地步, Earth-Stabilizing Step)
VI: 8 (9) VI. You learn the Xiongshi Violent Roar (雄狮暴吼, Manly Lion’s Violent Roar)
VII: 6 (8) VII. Zhang Jue’s Jinshe Baojun Fiery Eye (金蛇暴君火眼, Fiery Eye of the Serpent Tyrant),

VIII: 6 (conditional 7 ) VIII. You learn the Taiji Fist and Taiji Sword
IX: 1 IX Yiyang Finger (一陽指, One Yang Finger)
X: 9 (conditional 10) X. You meditate on Wuxiang Qiankun,
XI: 11 ( 12) XI. You meditate on Wuxiang Qiankun with Xuezi’s help,

Last edited:

He actually has pretty compentivite agents under him, So I doubt that Shu is trying to improve his own combat capalities.
In case you missed it in this update, he likes to try and handle things personally sometimes. A noble motive, but somewhat foolhardy in a ruler of his stature.

B XI VI

B XI VII

Last edited by a moderator:

Esquilax

Arcane
I was somewhat amused by the flurry of votes saying 'of course, Shun! right away, Shun!' without thinking.

Well, to be fair, I think that part of the thought process was "Well, I've taught WQS to Bai Jiutian, and she was my enemy for a long time. If I can teach it to my enemy, obviously I'd have no qualms teaching it to my best friend." Which of course ignores the fact that Shun isn't a martial artist and doesn't have the exposure that either Jing or BJ do to combat, nor the teachers (i.e. Xuezi) to teach him how to handle such a skill.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
We already upgraded our Yuchang Sword techniques with some very powerful new moves for this and we can still use many of our kenjutsu moves. We even have a legendary sword technique right now. That's part of the reason for the trade with Bai Jiutian (that and making sure she won't backstab us). I think our current swordsmanship is fairly strong as is.

If you think our swordsmanship is fairly strong, then why are you talking about needing the WQS to fight against sword masters? If we need help against masters, then we are not a good enough swordsman. If that is the case, and you believe that to be true, then we should work on our innate swordplay and not the WQS.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
In case you missed it in this update, he likes to try and handle things personally sometimes. A noble motive, but someone foolhardy in a ruler of his stature.

B XI VI

Good point.

Flopping to B, Thanks for showin error of my ways:bro:

BTW, bros, not sure if it's been pointed out, but do notice the wording of VII:
VII. You attempt to pick up Zhang Jue’s Jinshe Baojun Fiery Eye (金蛇暴君火眼, Fiery Eye of the Serpent Tyrant), an advanced technique that enhances perception and allows the practitioner to project qi from his eyes to immobilize or damage his opponent.
It's the only choice worded this way. We do only have one eye. That may effect our ability to learn the technique. Even though, personally, I want this one most of all, the wording puts me off...

Absinthe

Arcane
Kashmir Slippers, here's the thing. I don't think any sword technique we learn right now will be a decisive game changer. They aren't that powerful. At best, it will let us scrape by a few more fights without using Wuxiang Qiankun until we are in over our heads again and have to use it. Once we use Wuxiang Qiankun, we are better off using it damn near all the time. If we get Wuxiang Qiankun up to rank 3 right now, then we can use it against everyone and I am damn sure that any technique we can copy from those sword masters will beat the shit out of anything we can learn right now from our buddies.

Besides, we can copy these techniques you want to learn right now with Wuxiang Qiankun in a fight. So here's the thing: You invest time in learning a technique, and we can use it in a fight - OR - you don't invest time in learning a technique, and we use Wuxiang Qiankun to use it in a fight anyway.

The benefits to learning new techniques right now is too low considering the fact that we all know we're just going to be openly using Wuxiang Qiankun from now on.

Tribute

Arbiter
VII. You attempt to pick up Zhang Jue’s Jinshe Baojun Fiery Eye (金蛇暴君火眼, Fiery Eye of the Serpent Tyrant), an advanced technique that enhances perception and allows the practitioner to project qi from his eyes to immobilize or damage his opponent.
It's the only choice worded this way. We do only have one eye. That may effect our ability to learn the technique. Even though, personally, I want this one most of all, the wording puts me off...
This was asked earlier. Treave pointed out that ZJ also only has one eye, and he does it just fine.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
We do only have one eye. That may effect our ability to learn the technique. Even though, personally, I want this one most of all, the wording puts me off...

Treave has already confirmed that we can learn it, but we have to work extra to get fully powered beams.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom