Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
We have no pressure points.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And neither the guy have given us any indication he knows anything on the list.

I have no idea how this is relevant to our situatiuon.

Esquilax

Arcane
Could the properties of the Chixiao Sword have anything to do with how insanely tough this guy is?

Chixiao Sword
A blood-red sword drawn from the corpse of a giant white snake, this sword once belonged to the founding Emperor of the Han Dynasty, Liu Bang. It has a commanding presence, and is rumoured to have been bestowed upon the Han Emperor by an immortal. Its whereabouts have been unknown since the fall of the Han Dynasty more than six hundred years ago, but recently it is rumoured that a mysterious swordsman has been spotted wielding a crimson blade.

I wonder if this giant white snake was a demon. Last time we killed a demon, Jing swallowed a pearl that boosted his inner strength like crazy. Maybe there was something still left of the giant white snake that first formed the Chixiao Sword inside of it. The description of the beast sure seems to sound like some sort of demon.

Whatever dark undercurrent Jing is sensing in Jian Yixiao's qi, it could have a hand in why he's so fucking crazy. I don't know if I want to mimic what's inside him, but then again, the alternative of kissing the "demon"* is unbelievably retarded. Yet again, it could also be so crazy that it just might actually work. Gonna have to think about this.

* We've heard stories of the Sword Demon for a while, and we've known that some "mysterious swordsman" possessed it ever since we first heard about the Ten Great Swords at Luoying Manor. I'm inclined to think that the Sword Demon is a man who ran into something supernatural, it overpowered him, and now he's become something else. Martial arts masters are capable of superhuman feats, but I don't think anyone is capable of being stabbed like a pincushion, only to absorb the same swords that stabbed them.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, the full story goes like this:

In the Qin Dynasty (221-207 BC), there was a young man who liked to talk big. One day he got a rotten steel rod and told people that it was a sword he got from an immortal living in Nanshan Mountain, and named it Chi Xiao, always carrying his “sword.” He also boasted that he was the incarnation of a red dragon from Heaven, and that he had known Emperor Qin, who, according to him, was the incarnation of a white dragon. He even said that the incarnation of the Emperor had turned from a white dragon into a white snake wandering around Feng Xize, claiming that he, with more magic power now than the Emperor Qin, would replace him as the emperor.

People all around knew that he was a braggart and did not believe his nonsense. However, people’s distrust toward him changed after what happened one night. On that night, a few dozen young people, including the braggart, carrying his sword, went to the town of Feng Xize to do some apprentice work. On the way there, they were confronted by a huge white snake. Terrified by it, no one dared to move. It was the braggart who volunteered to kill the snake, chasing it into the woods. The others waited for him to return, but he did not come back that night. Finally, they returned home, believing that he had become the supper of the snake.

The next day, people found the snake killed and the young man lying nearby. His rotten steel rod had been replaced by a glittering sword, with two characters on it reading: “Chi Xiao.” Astounded by this scene, people realized that what the braggart said was all true. The young man was Liu Bang, who later defeated Emperor Qin and founded the Han Dynasty. The sword Chi Xiao was the one he used to kill the snake and lead battles in his revolution against the emperor. Hence, the white dragon was replaced by Liu’s red dragon, and Chi Xiao became known as a sword of sovereignty.
It wasn't exactly a demon.

Absinthe

Arcane
It would have been, yeah, if Jing hadn't destroyed another demon before using the exact same method. And that's not the only thing going for it either. It is surprising as hell too (unless he hugs us and kisses back, cue all females passing out from an overdose of sexy) and we know that our chaotic qi is very harmful to humans as well as demons.
Sure, but here is what we have going against it:
A. You quickly devise a plan together with Zhang Minyue to catch the Sword Demon offguard. If he is truly a demon… well, you remember how you once dealt with one. You just need to get that mask off, do the deed, and you should be able to claim victory. Hopefully. Even if it doesn’t work, it should be surprising enough that you can make a comeback.
Okay, so you expect to devise some sort of master plan in a short moment with Zhang Minyue, who you only just met and whose only move you know is her Style 24 spam, and you want to do this while in earshot of the Sword Demon with the intention of entering inside the Sword Demon's sword range, which is extremely difficult against master swordsmen, to deliver an extremely close range lethal kiss? I think the difference in our opinions is that you think this is just stupid enough to work while I think this is just stupid enough to be really fucking stupid and suicidal. Just because he wont be expecting the kiss doesn't mean he won't slice us to pieces before we can surprise him. Remember, against the toad demon, we had the demon completely locked down while we tried this.

On the other hand, you seem to think that relying on regular 2 on 1 odds while using our legendary skill to understand, counter, and return our opponent's moves, a tactic we have a solid amount of experience with, is somehow too unreliable.

ScubaV, this is why I think you should flop to B.

Last edited:

tropic

Scholar
If he is possessed and we use WQS on him, is there a chance the demon could possess us?

Absinthe

Arcane
If a demon tries possessing us, it would mostly suck for the demon considering our qi fucks up demons royally.

Even if that happens, we'd still have beaten Jian Yixiao and then we'd just use our anti-demon spiritual talismans to deal with what's left of the demon.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Treave, if I may, what color(s) is(are) the mask? I assume that Jing, being raised in court, would know what the colors correspond to for meaning.

The colours are white and red, but he does not recall which character of which play the patterns match, nor is he entirely sure about the meaning.

Meta: D was added about five minutes after the update was posted, so one of the A-C options is the correct one. I just wonder which one of them it is.

Or I could have added it in because I'm feeling kind and wanted to give you guys a way out. :M

treave, is the "spider-web slingshot-sword trap" Jing made something that came because of that INT bonus Jing got?

Yup.

while in earshot of the Sword Demon

Probably not that blatant, a bit of retreating and hiding will be involved.

Absinthe

Arcane
Eh, even outside his hearing range, I don't think we'll devise an amazing plan with a person we just met in a short period of time to overcome his absurd skills with teamwork so that Jing can take off his mask and land a kiss.

Too many risks. This is like picking the Duancao Legs option against Rong Zhiyu. Looks cool but too dependent on shit we are unfamiliar with to work. Stick with what we know, guys.

Tropic, we can still roar with B.

Baltika9

Arcane
But A is what we know, while B is imitating the quite possibly demonic swordsman's qi.

Absinthe

Arcane
We know demonic qi. And we know Wuxiang Qiankun. These things we can handle.

We don't know Zhang Minyue that well, nor do we know Jian Yixiao's defenses well enough to quickly devise a strategy that can reliably overcome it.

Absinthe

Arcane
We didn't work well in tandem. See, what happened so far is that we helped each other out when we saw the other in a bad spot. That doesn't take much teamwork. All it takes is some skill and awareness.

What you're expecting to do is to suddenly launch a joint offense designed to overcome the opponent's defenses. That's real teamwork, which doesn't come out of nowhere. And this still doesn't answer the question of how we're supposed to design this offense to beat his strange moves which we still cannot quite grasp and do so in a short moment.

I'd rather switch to Wuxiang Qiankun so that we can actually understand his techniques and defeat him with Zhang Minyue's help.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Treave, if I may, what color(s) is(are) the mask? I assume that Jing, being raised in court, would know what the colors correspond to for meaning.

The colours are white and red
We're dead.
bleach-kurosaki-ichigo-hollow-mask-2.jpg

Kz3r0

Arcane
The problem I have with A is that is looks overly playful, .
So it's the best according to the Hagakure.
Guys, if he is not a demon then is an hypnotist, any idea on how to counter that?

Votan:
A.

E Use WQS both to read his moves and for imitating Minyue technique launching a combined assault of qi cutting slashes.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Kz3r0, by using Wuxiang Qiankun to learn his moves? That kind of insight gives us much better countering abilities.

These two are pretty good. Where does treave say WQS does that though. (Not doubting you. Sounds familiar.)
He doesn't. The whole point of Wuxiang Qiankun is that we properly adapt to the qi we are copying. This is a legendary technique that can incorporate both Xiaoming Jiuyang and the Xuanming Jiuyin legendary neigongs at the same time when anyone else would go insane and/or destroy themselves but somehow this demon swordsman's qi is supposed to be too hard to copy safely?

Even if this qi were to wind up giving us trouble later, Luanshi Wuchangdao means we can easily collapse our own qi into a formless chaos that destroys whatever properties it held. If anything "demonic" were to somehow remain after that, our spiritual talismans could purge that too.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

He doesn't.
Yeah, I looked for it, but came up with nothing.

Ok, so the worst option is probably C. At best, most of the clan would be massacred and distract him for a minute or two. At worst, their swords would feed him or be used as weapons against us.

A is a great option - IF he's actually a demon. If not, well, there is the surprise factor, so hopeful we could recover as the choice suggests. Of course, it could horribly backfire and we could die here. Everything hints at his being a demon or demon possessed at least though: his name could have been earned by his supernatural feats rather than merely his devilish deeds and the text about the dark undercurrent of qi within him could also be a hint to that effect.

edit: and if he is a demon and he spits another pearl into our throat...neigong 15/20! :M

B Just sounds like we're begging to get killed thanks to our over-reliance on WQS. treave actually goes so far as to call it our trump card. I'm not writing it off completely though. The thing is, just how would it help us against him? Would we suddenly be able to absorb swords into our bodies and manipulate them with our qi? How would that help against someone who can eat them? Unless he's using some sort of elaborate illusion skill as some have suggested, I fail to see what being able to copy the skills he's been beating us back with so far would accomplish - and that's assuming we could copy them at all. Convince me, bros. Convince me how WQS could help us against this guy.

D is looking better and better here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Absinthe

Arcane
I like this paranoid logic: GUYS DONT VOTE B. B IS OUR TRUMP CARD SO OBVIOUSLY IT HAS TO FAIL AND BITE US IN THE ASS IF WE TRY TO USE IT JUST TO FUCK WITH OUR EXPECTATIONS. As for A, if it lands it could work well whether he's a demon or human. The trouble with A is just the sheer insanity in expecting to pry open his guard with something as half-assed as an emergency strategy session for a team strat with a person we barely know to overcome defenses we do not understand and do it extensively enough that Jing has the time to take off his mask and then kiss him long enough to destroy him.

Obviously our trump card would be a good call if we want to beat our opponent. As for what B does: We could copy his sword juggling craziness and other moves. Maybe we could copy his sword absorption shenanigans also. This would allow us to fight him on an even footing. Also, just learning his moves means we could also understand their weaknesses and figure out counters. Add Zhang Minyue to that, and we have solid odds of beating him.

Last edited:

tropic

Scholar
We blew into the toad demon:

Well, here goes nothing!” As you approach, every fine detail of those wrinkled, slimy lips come into focus. You leap onto the monstrous Lady Mi. Gritting your teeth, you clamp your mouth over its maw. Nothing is happening. You feel the mushy flesh sliding around and the stank, fetid breath of the surprised monster. Nothing seems to be happening, except for a certain nasty catch in your throat that is about to cause you to empty your stomach. “Blow! Blow into it!” shouts Xiahou Yu. Cursing the day you stepped foot into this mansion, you blow as hard as you can. The demon shrieks. Plumes of foul green vapour begin shooting out from its skin as it scratches at you, attempting to pull you off, but you can sense it weakening. Still, it is not dead.

“It is not enough,” shouts Zhong Hai. “We need to take more conclusive action! Keep it occupied while I set up the talismans!” You are unable to ask how long he needs, as the wild, sticky tongue of the toad demoness suddenly finds its way halfway down your throat. You gag, but your willpower keeps you clinging on as you continue to breath into your opponent, your lips closed firmly over its own. You wave your hand about in a panic, hoping that they’ll hurry up – you cannot hold on for much longer. After what seems like an eternity, there is a flash of lightning. You feel a round, smooth object, much like a large pearl, being pushed into your mouth. Stuck in the position that you are, you cannot help but swallow. The demon shrieks. The object of your long kiss evaporates, turning into a puff of pale smoke and scattering into thin air.

Almost instantly, your surroundings seem to shift and change. Light begins to stream in through the small holes in the roof and the half open windows. For some reason, it is now day. You cough and sputter, groaning as you try to gulp in as much air as you can. Even the dusty atmosphere of the abandoned mansion is better than that stench you endured while kissing the demon.

But for now, things seem to be over.

Imagine how much better it will be to ROAR!

Baltika9

Arcane
But will we roar with B?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom