Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Akkudakku

Arbiter
I think the mask and the sword give the fucker masive theatrics powers. In A we rip the mask off and this I believe will fuck him over.
In B we WQS to counter anything he has and rip him apart.
Both look like wins

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
In fact, it is an open question what loses us more, a defeat where we tried to save lives, or a victory where we threw them away freely.

Depends what you want really. I just want those two swords (maybe three if we can manage it). If all the Zhous and Miss zhang have to die to get them then so be it. I might actually switch my vote around now that I think about it.

The real concern is not if they would die since they probably will it is whether they could actually achieve anything against a superior opponent. Even if they only weaken him a little more it would still make our job easier.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Okay another argumen that the mask boosts him.
Everybody knows his real name and he still wears it.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The Brazilian Slaugher said:
② shaded orientation ③ covert; concealed; hidden ④ vagina ⑤ penis
So, basically, the Demon Swordsman is a hermaphrodite. Good to know.

We already saw a example of Yin concealment in Bai Jiutian concealing her neigong to bait Jing into using WQS against her and then surging the yin forth to stop the WQS.
This is, in fact, an incorrect interpretation of the event. BJ did not have any hidden neigong. She had an imperceptible move that could not have been copied. Although she did conceal the fact that her energy was mostly yin.

I said it, I don't believe he is a demon. I dislike the fact that A has us going into a potentially mortal combat with a false premise.

But a false premise can lead to the right results, too.

Depends what you want really. I just want those two swords (maybe three if we can manage it). If all the Zhous and Miss zhang have to die to get them then so be it. I might actually switch my vote around now that I think about it.
Wouldn't that actually lose us votes at the conference, though? You'll be depriving the enemy of 2-3 swords, but you might just have ensured that the Saint, Qingfeng and Lanhai (if we fail to save the kids, and Minyue might be able to help us with that... maybe) would not work with us.

It is not the swords we are after, it is the hearts of the people who wield them.

His endgame is quite clear, too: He's gonna take ALL the Swords, becoming more and more strong, until the Sword Saint shows up, and the Saint, ignorant of the true danger and thinking this is just another swordman pugilist wannabe he can lazily pwn [...]
Uh, no. The Sword Demon's agenda is not a secretr in these parts, and his name is rather famous. I don't think the Saint have not heard of his rival before, especially since the Demon had his legendary sword for several years now. Even Zhang Jue, a recluse that he is, seemed to know the guy.

I don't think the Saint is in any danger. We are, though.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Wouldn't that actually lose us votes at the conference, though? You'll be depriving the enemy of 2-3 swords, but you might just have ensured that the Saint, Qingfeng and Lanhai (if we fail to save the kids, and Minyue might be able to help us with that... maybe) would not work with us.

That is the beauty of it. The evil Sword Demon murders poor Miss zhang and most of the Zhous, then we do the right thing by avenging them and stopping the 'monster'. We then get to return the swords to their rightful owners (our allies) and we get to be the 'upright' 'hero' while doing it. We can get votes and eliminate enemies/hostile neutrals at the same time.

Nevill

Arcane
The evil Sword Demon murders poor Miss zhang and most of the Zhous, then we do the right thing by avenging them and stopping the 'monster'.
Rest assured, if you intend to use them as a cannon fodder to make it safer for yourself, it won't go unnoticed. Zixia would be pretty pissed at you if it kills her father or brother. I know that technically it would not be our fault, but these things are not about legal terms.

We will lose Minyue, either literally, or as a potential ally. That might cost us the chance to save the kids where the constables are powerless. Or it might not. It might lose us her vote. Or it might not, since she would never associate with us in the first place. There are many uncertainities.

And the Saint would know what really happened. You could spin the story about doing the right thing, but he'll know. You do not trick him with appearances.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Rest assured, if you intend to use them as a cannon fodder to make it safer for yourself, it won't go unnoticed. Zixia would be pretty pissed at you if it kills her father or brother. I know that technically it would not be our fault, but these things are not about legal terms.

I would draw the distinction between what the final results are and how it will be characterized. It is not like we will be telling them to fight in our stead, we will all be piling on him at the same time in an attempt to overwhelm him through sheer numbers. We will be allies in name and spirit for the duration of the fight. In absolute practical terms they will be cannon fodder and OOC I would intend to use them as such but Jing does not view them in that way I would say.

If Zhou did not suffer a rep hit for sending all those pugilists against us back at the 100 man battle instead of immediately attacking himself then I fail to see why we would suffer a hit for taking part in a group attack on a terrifying opponent.

Nevill said:
We will lose Minyue, either literally, or as a potential ally. That might cost us the chance to save the kids where the constables are powerless. Or it might not. It might lose us her vote. Or it might not, since she would never associate with us in the first place. There are many uncertainities.

We lose her, not her vote. We give her sword to one of the girls and have them vote with us, the Nie block loses a vote and we gain one.

If the kids are killed then the zhangs make two eternal enemies, if the kids are saved then we make a pair of allies, really either outcome is acceptable in absolute terms as long as the situation in resolved.

We would also take two votes away from the Demon and add them to our block which would be quite nice.

Nevill said:
And the Saint would know what really happened. You could spin the story about doing the right thing, but he'll know.

Not sure what you mean here. We are not knowingly setting her up to die and we are not using her any more in C than in A or B. Hell C is probably safer for her just like it is safer for us as more bodies are thrown the Demon's way. If she dies here then we tried to save her and that is what the Saint will know because that is all there is to know.

The more I think about it the more I like it, in fact flopping the order of my vote:

C>B

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
We will be allies in name and spirit for the duration of the fight.
Well, it all stems from our understanding of the choice. With a wording like this:
It would also put more bodies between you and him, making it a safer plan compared to your other options.
I can't in good faith call Jing their ally in spirit.

The sole purpose of the choice is to use them as a cannon fodder, as a distraction, and as a buffer between Jing and TDS. That's what I think the intention of the choice is. It's not like they can help us in any other way.

It is selfish in that it diminishes risks for us at a cost of certain deaths for some or all of them. It is not a condemnation, mind you. Surviving this fight is our first priority, after all. But that's what it is, and it will be seen by others that way.

Minyue, for her part, chose to face the Demon alone to protect the lives of these people.
Fangshi said:
We lose her, not her vote.
If she dies, that is. Who are you going to give her sword to, anyway? Xiahou Yu? You don't have that many allies in jianghu.

Last edited:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Guys and if it is that this guyis a ACTOR that uses yin techs. And he only can play his character if he has its mask?

Or rather the mask changes anyone wearing it into the sword demon making them its puppet?

archaen

Cipher
Patron
HilArity. If the mask is his source of power, this takes care of it. If he is a demon, this takes care of it. If he is just a man then we go full homo and hope he is into Yaoi.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
A>B

This is tough nut to crack.
I am pretty sure that those wounds should at laest slow him down a bit, even if he is not dead. I mean all those swords should do something to him, even if he has somekind of tech\Demon\ demon
possession going on. He bleeds and thus should be killeable even thought the guy must have bluffing skills something like 15/10 and endurance something like 20/10.

All we need is to
excoriate the demon or cut his head off. Lets see him swing that sword when his head is separated from his body.
Going with A with first choice, because my I have a feeling that something otherwordly is going here and kissing makes Neigong mixing faster...At
least what those Shaolin bro said.

Absinthe

Arcane
New tally

Baltika9 A
Kipeci B>A
Jester D
Azira B
Absinthe B
Lambchop19 D>A
Ifeex B>A
Akkudakku B
ERYFKRAD B
Grimgravy A
Tribute A>B
Rex Feral D
tropic B
ScubaV A
GreyViper D
asxetos A
Kz3r0 E (interpreting this as a B vote as treave says it's the same as B)
Nevill D
Tigranes D>B
Esquilax D
Fangshi C>B
archaen A
Elfberserker B
Chumbucket B
Kashmir Slippers D
profreshinal D
A - 6
B - 10
C - 1
D - 9

Post-flop:
A - 5
B - 12
D - 9

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Elfberserker, we already went over this. The problem with A is getting past his defenses. Zhang Minyue is terrified, we don't know her that well for serious teamwork, and we still don't understand Jian Yixiao's defenses well enough to devise a strategy in a short amount of time. This worked on the toad demon because the toad demon was locked down when we tried it.

In B, on the other hand, Jing uses his trump card to face Jian Yixiao. If Zhang Minyue recovers, we beat him. If she doesn't, we still have solid odds of beating him by ourselves with our trump card.

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
At this point I just don't want D to win. We came here specifically to stop this guy from killing anyone else, we started fighting him, and now we're just going to fuck off and let him kill everyone here?

Nevill

Arcane
At this point I just don't want D to win. We came here specifically to stop this guy from killing anyone else, we started fighting him, and now we're just going to fuck off and let him kill everyone here?
Why would he kill everyone here?

What is he after, the lives of Zhou guards, or the swords?

Absinthe

Arcane
The swords, but he can't stop us from running. Following the line "If they would come out now, I will spare the rest of your miserable lives.”, it seems that if he does not get the swords, he will take their lives.

Esquilax

Arcane
Elfberserker, we already went over this. The problem with A is getting past his defenses. Zhang Minyue is terrified, we don't know her that well for serious teamwork, and we still don't understand Jian Yixiao's defenses well enough to devise a strategy in a short amount of time. This worked on the toad demon because the toad demon was locked down when we tried it.

In B, on the other hand, Jing uses his trump card to face Jian Yixiao. If Zhang Minyue recovers, we beat him. If she doesn't, we still have solid odds of beating him by ourselves with our trump card.

The teamwork issue isn't a big one. We've worked with her just fine thus far, so if we die in A, it won't be for a lack of teamwork. Just like how if we win with B, it won't be because we have the Taiji Sword/Shouwang Claws/whatever technique you can think of. The crux of the issue is that B might not work because perhaps this is an obstacle that you might not be able to defeat just by beating it up. I mean, we've already stabbed him with swords like a pincushion and he survived it just fine, so more power might not be the solution either. Well, unless there is something insanely powerful and lethal about his qi that we can then use against him, and I haven't seen anything indicate that's the case.

The real trouble for me when it comes to voting here is that I can't determine whether this madman is actually a demon of some sort (you'd think that getting stabbed several dozen times would force him into his true form, as Lady Mi revealed herself back at the haunted mansion), so I have no idea if A will work.

Esquilax

Arcane
You slowly close the distance, slashing at the unending waves of cloth. There seems to be no limit to the amount of fabric she is shooting out, and it would probably be a bad idea to get caught by one of those strips. Suddenly, Lady Mi gives out a cry. Moving faster than you can, Yunzi had managed to weave her way through and deliver a powerful blow to the woman. As Lady Mi staggers backwards, the Taoist takes his chance and dives forward, driving his wooden sword straight at her chest. It hits her, causing green smoke to spew forth.

There is a sudden change in the atmosphere. Opening her mouth so wide that her jaw appears to have come unhinged, the woman roars, a deep, guttural sound that rattles your bones. A sudden gust of strong wind knocks all of you back. You skid across the polished floorboards, coming to a painful halt against a nearby pillar.

treave, when we met the exorcist Zhong Hai, did his wooden sword have special demon-revealing properties? I'm just trying to see a connection between our last demon encounter and this one, because it seems that her toad demon form only became obvious after our ghost-hunting buddy stabbed her. Assuming that he's a demon, perhaps the reason that Jian Yixiao hasn't revealed his true form is that a bunch of iron swords piercing his flesh don't have any special properties that would force him to reveal himself.

I dunno, I'm just taking a few more desperate stabs to figure this out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom