Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It means if you pick 'For the swords', you get +2 Swords. 10/10 SWORDS.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    You actually may be right on this one. Nevill, what was it you said about the Chixiao Sword a couple hundred pages back? That it was originally Chi You's?

^ Top  
  3. XenomorphII Prophet

XenomorphII
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    This is a personal question. There are no right answers.

But we can powergame that, too.

Why isn't WQS level 4 on the list?

edit: no, the sword isn't Chi You's and my vote has nothing to do with him.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    In hindsight, I should've made him ask what can change the nature of a man.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well...

He has fought against the empire when needed (Pirates) and generally does not put much stock in the empire as an ideal so A is out.

B might work in that we support Shun in most things but we do it as his friend not as his subject so that one is out.

For the people is out as he is not motivated by abstracted notions of the common man, it is more personal for him than that.

D, he enjoys fighting but it is not who he is. He fights for a purpose beyond simple carnage.

E, nope. We murdered a man to protect our identity. Justice may be a factor but not the primary one.

F. To be honest this is the one I am after but it has never been Jing's goal.

G. I suspect this is what created the Sword Demon personality in the first place. Better dead than to wind up like that.

H. This could work though we have not always chosen that path. We did not go to Shun when Ying asked us to nor did we do our orthodox bros proud when confronted with manxing. They depended on us and we failed them so I would say it is something else that drives Jing.

I and J are quite similar and are very close to the target I think. J fits Chi You like a glove but it does not fit Jing terribly well. I does though and should be the answer, he fights for those that he cares about be they Bros or wives and is willing to risk everything for them time and time again. A good amount of the effort he expends is directed at trying to keep them happy and safe and it is the closest motive for Jing's actions as I see it.

K is too broad to have meaning for Jing though if he were a Taoist it might just fit.

L, well if swords created the Demon I am not sure I want to know what nothingness would create.

I just hope this is not one of those reverse psychology things where he loses the thing he cares most about or destroys it through trying to protect it.

I

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Even personal questions have right answers. Anyway, me, I want to continue that backstory plot. So anything other than J would be wrong.

^ Top  
  8. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    E > G, but I'll flop to anything that won't leave us saying that we're so sappily fighting for love. Most of our "strategy" involves attempting to impress the ladies, sure, but most of the non-friendly fights we've gotten into have been for that we want to knock some prick who's being a jerk to folks down a peg, not FOR QILIN!!! or whatever the depressingly large and growing bandwagon is thinking.

^ Top  
  9. ChumBucket Augur

ChumBucket
    H>I. Jing has consistently fought for those who ask for help or those he felt needed his help the most. He will fight be it for Shun, Guo Fu, Quilin, The fire temple initiates, Song Lingshu, Xuxian, the Minamoto Clan, even Zhang Minyue(the list can be much longer). Some times he breaks the law, and sometimes he does let down those he loves as a result, but one of Jing's most consistent traits is to fight for the under dog. This choice is the closest to that ideal, though I is my next favorate choice here.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Massive :bro: to treave for giving us our millionth "second chance" in this LP. The quote that comes to mind in favour of I was back at the Fire Temple:

This strikes me as pretty much everything about Jing; he's a creature of passion, and the love he has for the people close to him is what fuels him. Jing has chosen people over power, reputation and serious commitments/responsibilities, so it seems to be the one that fits him the best.

I mean, I suppose we have some semblance of fighting for those that depend on us now that we're Lord of the Fire Temple, but it seems that Xu Jing fights more out of a sense of friendship, loyalty, or love of those close to him. I am eager to hear Ganymede's take on this though, so I'm definitely willing to flop if I hear a good argument.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I can't stop snickering when I imagine TNO asking if conditional answers are accepted.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  12. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    But should he be one?

^ Top  
  13. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    I don't know. He may have started working his way onto a path elsewhere, with gaining rulership over the Fire Temple, then working to improve his reputation with Shaolin and the rest of the Bro Sects, but for the most part he has been driven by his passions.

As far as my vote goes: As I've understood things, Jing does right by the people he cares about first, and by the people who need him/the weak and downtrodden second. So I>H for now.

^ Top  
  14. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Maybe so, but I think this question is about what Jing cares about the most. And I think "those that I love" is still too spread out for that.

Considering the backstory, there is only one person, really.

^ Top  
  15. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    We shouldn't have denied our true nature. Anyway, I. This is about who Jing is now. Not who he was.

I (phone vote) though for the swords is quite tempting

^ Top  
  16. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Wouldn't it be funny if it worked like this;

The previous sword demon chose "SWORDS", and turned into a being that absorbed swords into itself.
    Jing chooses "THE ONES I LOVE" and start absorbing them into his bloated body.

Hilarious, no? :troll:

In any case, I also vote I
    This whole adventure started with Jing doing everything he could to help his friend, master and brother.
    During the adventure, he has evolved into a being that loves not just his emperor and master, but other people as well, and those he loves he fights to protect.

I feel option I meshes best with Jing's character.

Good arguments for H :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Who he was is a story that seeped into every life since. It is why the heavens curse him now. Anything other than J would cheapen the events of that life.

And I think in our decisions Yunzi has been one girl we've gone out of our way for the most. Jing cares about Qilin/Cao'er/etc. too, but Yunzi has been the only girl Jing has actively pursued all story long. The other girls had to pursue him.

^ Top  
  18. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    This is all just a ploy to make your waifu wife number one isn't it?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    And who is that one person? Yunzi? I'd say he loves Qilin, Cao'er, Zhang Jue, and probably Shun as much, in various ways. Yunzi may have been the only girl for him at one point, but that changed in the caves with Yang Xue.

^ Top  
  20. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Hahahaha.

Not quite. I just like the update that treave wrote then and I would be loathe to break consistency with it.

Feels like it would damage the story.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Oh god this is how the CYOA dies. Not with epic martial arts action but with WAIFU wars... we should have run off with LORD Zhang long ago...

:negative:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  22. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I. am. Jing!

^ Top  
  23. Ganymede Learned

Ganymede
    Every time Jing's been forced to choose, he's given aid to whoever has the greatest need at the time. The reason he helped out Yunzi right at the start was not because of true love, but because of this:
    If it had been the Prince in trouble and the girl safe and sound, then the vote would have gone the other way.

At the Hundred Man Battle he put his ass on the line, going in on the side of some random pirates solely to avert a massacre.

The reason he took up with Zhang Jue was to protect people.
    And then at Heihu Valley when the fact the people were going to die came up, people he didn't know and had every reason to oppose, the vote is overwhelmingly for Jing to sweep in and save them. Even when the battle hangs in the balance and Yunzi is fighting for her life.
    Jing has tried to do good by everyone he's met, not to the point of being a naive fool in the face of villains like Zhang Manxing or the Black Dragons. But I suspect if they were rendered feeble and desperate he'd try to save them (if only for the comedic value.) If you want proof of this sentiment look no further than Xuezi, the immortal child bitch-queen and terror of the pugilstic world, who Jing has practically adopted because she's helpless.

The Killer Physician

Qilin and the Wudu Cult

Shun and his father

Jixuian Wuni and the Tibetan Princess

Song Lingshu

Armaiti

Bai Jiutan

Xuixan

Zuo Qingfeng and You Lanhai

Even this fight just now with the Sword Demon, where Jing risks his life and sanity for a group of people who hate him. There was no one he loved in the Zhou clan manor, but they were depending on him to stop the Sword Demon, so if life and sanity is what it takes then that's what it takes. No regrets.

H > I

The way I see it H is stronger, but I is still perfectly valid based on the strength of this line:

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  24. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Okay, I'm convinced. It is finally time for Xu Jing to complete his transition from YOLOTIGER to RESPONSIBILITIGER. Flopped to H

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Hopping on the H>I wagon.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.